PDA

View Full Version : Would Leach stay here for the Long haul?

deadheaddawg
01-09-2020, 12:43 AM
I think between the most popular 3 names, Napier, Sark, Leach......leach is the one I see as the most likely candidate. (assuming they are successful) of staying here and not jumping ship to another school

58 (still young enough to be a good coach, but approaching the age where schools will be less interested).

He's basically spent the last 20 years at a program and town more similar to us.

I would not let this be a major reason on why I would hire him, but it could be a plus. The others 2 are younger and just come across (to me) as more likely to leave for a bigger job

defiantdog
01-09-2020, 12:50 AM
I like the hire..... we'd finally get the receivers we complained about.

deadheaddawg
01-09-2020, 12:52 AM
Isn't next year a good year for receivers in Mississippi high school?

Quaoarsking
01-09-2020, 01:03 AM
Probably. At 58, he could be too old to be looking for a new job now, so I doubt he comes here and then tries to hunt some more in his mid-60s.

Also he has the reputation of being a bad/awkward interviewer, which is why he never got the Miami or Florida jobs despite them coming open many times each in the last 20 years and both having strong interest in him, so he may have trouble leaving even if he were theoretically open to it.

Bothrops
01-09-2020, 02:36 AM
I like the hire..... we'd finally get the receivers we complained about.

Maybe he could pull a good haul of receivers next year, since MS has more than normal, but after that, not so much.

Tbonewannabe
01-09-2020, 06:57 AM
We are usually able to pull good RBs, how would Leach affect that? I know he just does whatever works but does he typically have a good running game? Has he put any RB in the NFL?

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 06:58 AM
I wish we could hire Leach to coach the team and someone else to recruit.

After talking with someone that knows him tonight, he has virtually no chance of recruiting well in the South because absolutely no one can connect or relate to him.

Person I spoke with said he's on the "autism" scale. Not trashing him but just saying that's a tough type for many people to connect with in recruiting. I think he's an amazing coach.

Tbonewannabe
01-09-2020, 07:10 AM

After talking with someone that knows him tonight, he has virtually no chance of recruiting well in the South because absolutely no one can connect or relate to him.

Person I spoke with said he's on the "autism" scale. Not trashing him but just saying that's a tough type for many people to connect with in recruiting. I think he's an amazing coach.

One thing would be, could he surround himself with high level recruiters to balance that out? It looks like the best he has done recruiting has been around the 30s so would that improve by being in the South where more recruits would naturally lean towards the SEC?

My biggest worry is that the offense wouldn't work in the SEC just like Moorhead's didn't work. Would he be able to adapt if his passing game is not as successful?

Would we be able to get WRs that are good enough to play in the SEC and also run his system?

MarketingBully
01-09-2020, 07:47 AM
One thing would be, could he surround himself with high level recruiters to balance that out? It looks like the best he has done recruiting has been around the 30s so would that improve by being in the South where more recruits would naturally lean towards the SEC?

My biggest worry is that the offense wouldn't work in the SEC just like Moorhead's didn't work. Would he be able to adapt if his passing game is not as successful?

Would we be able to get WRs that are good enough to play in the SEC and also run his system?

Really? This shit again. He runs a simple enough scheme that it is easy to grasp. Yes, we would get receivers and QBs here. If we can get Feld and a good staff to go with him he would be ultra successful here.

Quaoarsking
01-09-2020, 07:53 AM
We are usually able to pull good RBs, how would Leach affect that? I know he just does whatever works but does he typically have a good running game? Has he put any RB in the NFL?

Baron Batch, Taurean Henderson, and the other Ricky Williams

Dawgology
01-09-2020, 08:29 AM
He's an interesting possibility for sure.

coachnorm
01-09-2020, 11:12 AM

Just to bring up a point to fellow Elitedoggers. Leach will assign assistant coaches to do a majority of recruiting. Leach will receive input from the assigned recruiters thus he will be doing basically the same as most other head coaches. Leach needs to trigger the emotions of the prospects and parents and not the high school football coaches and media in the recruits home area. Leach has proven that his assigned recruiters can succeed in Texas and California? If Leach was to get the MSU job, his recruiting skills will not just just disappear will they? I see Washington State and Texas Tech coaches recruiting San Diego, California on a regular basis. No reason why Mississippi State can not increase its footprint. Just for personal knowledge, I have asked California players if they would like to play for Mississippi State and they said HELL YES?

trojandawg
01-09-2020, 11:17 AM
i'm not really worried about the Long Haul. i'm worried more about hiring someone that comes in and fits. not a long time of rebuild. some one who comes in and immediately starts showing toughness and progress in the right direction. if he get's us back on track and we are winning. 8-9 games and outlier of 10 every few years, that works for me if he moves on in 5-6 years if we are winning like that. I really don't want to hire someone that's going to take 3-4 years to get something if anything going and just for the possibility of them staying 10 years. These days in football if it takes you more than 3-4 years to show progress you are gone. i really think if we hire Leach. it's a complete rebuild and huge risk to be able to run an air raid here with the receivers we have and the lineman we have and the defenses we face. I think we would get destroyed for two years just as bad if not worse than we were under Moorhead.

Spiderman
01-09-2020, 11:36 AM

There was an article about how Leach gets RB's to sign.

Leach tells them that unlike at most schools, their bodies won't take the beating of 150-200 carries a year. And that the modern NFL is looking for RB's that can also play in space and catch the ball.

Leach throws to his RB's a lot