PDA

View Full Version : Incentives...

MoreCowbell
01-08-2020, 11:51 PM
Is it just me or are incentives in coaches contracts, especially at schools like Miss State really low? I feel like I see incentives for winning your bowl/division/conference/championship at like 50k- 200k. Why are they not more? If you are already making 4+ million a year, 100/200k not much incentive to win your division or conference or championship. Had always made my curious why not more... make the incentive if you win the West at Miss. State you get 1 million. Win conference? boom, 2 million. Win championship? You get your salary x2 for that year. Is it not odd that incentives are so low? ADs need to get together and start making contracts way more incentive based. Had Dan had the incentive of double his salary for a year he might have stuck around for 2018(I know he was leaving anyway but just trying to give an example).

Todd4State
01-09-2020, 01:26 AM
Probably has something to do with the total base value of the contract and how many incentives are in the contract. Like let's say Joe was paid 2.5 million. That could balloon up pretty quickly if the incentive were 200K plus the 1 million for the West and 2 million for a National Title. Like 6-7 million.

None of the fans would complain but I'm not sure that many people would negotiate incentives that are that much more than the base of the contract because it would greatly affect extensions. We would be pretty close to getting into Saban territory as far as value. Of course, if someone did win the National Title at MSU they're also probably worth that much.

We would also have a heck of a time fighting off Alabama for that coach once Saban retires.

MoreCowbell
01-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Paying that out in incentives would be well worth it if we won division/conference. The revenue from a season like that and future seasons would be well worth that in incentives. Have just always been curious why incentives were so low especially for a coach who is already making millions.