PDA

View Full Version : Byrne & Cohen

Pennywise
01-08-2020, 11:16 PM
In 2008 MSU and Byrne went through a coaching search and no one knew what he was doing. People guessed and posted on message boards (Twitter was still in its infancy at the time). Then he hired Mullen from Florida without a lot of warning. People lauded Byrne for his discreet search. He earned the nickname "The Ninja" because of how he performed the search secretly. Croom "resigned on 11/29 and Mullen hired on 12/11. That's almost two weeks.

In 2020 MSU and Cohen are going through a coaching search, and because people aren't getting the info they want along the way they're calling Cohen a screwup and embarrassing the university. Moorhead was fired on 1/3 and it's only 1/8 today. Hasn't even been a week yet.

People. Pump the brakes. Give John a chance.

https://data.whicdn.com/images/301981284/original.gif

Behrdawg
01-08-2020, 11:29 PM
Byrne didn’t hire Croom.

Cohen hired SloMo

Folks aren’t happy.

MoreCowbell
01-08-2020, 11:31 PM
In 2008 MSU and Byrne went through a coaching search and no one knew what he was doing. People guessed and posted on message boards (Twitter was still in its infancy at the time). Then he hired Mullen from Florida without a lot of warning. People lauded Byrne for his discreet search. He earned the nickname "The Ninja" because of how he performed the search secretly. Croom "resigned on 11/29 and Mullen hired on 12/11. That's, almost two weeks.

In 2020 MSU and Cohen are going through a coaching search and because people are getting the info they want along the way they're calling Cohen a screwup and embarrassing the university. Moorhead was fired on 1/3 and it's only 1/8 today. Hasn't even been a week yet.

Rep given. Much needed post

Todd4State
01-08-2020, 11:32 PM
This is true. And the last time we hired Joe pretty quickly. We saw how that worked out.

It does seem like there are a lot of double standards with Dan from MSU fans simply because he followed Croom.

MarcoRubio
01-08-2020, 11:49 PM
In 2008 MSU and Byrne went through a coaching search and no one knew what he was doing. People guessed and posted on message boards (Twitter was still in its infancy at the time). Then he hired Mullen from Florida without a lot of warning. People lauded Byrne for his discreet search. He earned the nickname "The Ninja" because of how he performed the search secretly. Croom "resigned on 11/29 and Mullen hired on 12/11. That's, almost two weeks.

In 2020 MSU and Cohen are going through a coaching search and because people are getting the info they want along the way they're calling Cohen a screwup and embarrassing the university. Moorhead was fired on 1/3 and it's only 1/8 today. Hasn't even been a week yet.

Cohen is doing fine. He said himself at the press conference there would be a lot of rumors going around. If you do not hear it from him do not believe it. All of the -shit show- as some are calling it, is a product of message boards and uninformed media. Cohen has said nothing. His hires:

-Moorehead - EVERYBODY thought this was a great hire. I thought we hit the jackpot. Who would?ve thought he would fail with basic discipline and fundamentals?

-Cannizaro - young coach, but was almost universally deemed an up-and-coming star. Everything I read about him was glowing. Who would?ve thought he would fail with basic instincts?

-Lemonis - probably his least sexy hire at the time of the hire, but also most successful. Great recruiter and coach.

Cohen is a smart guy. He is one of our own. He bleeds maroon. Let him finish his work and give him the benefit of the doubt until you headed something directly from him. One thing I think we can all agree on is that no one has any sources that know shit anyway, so may as well wait.

dawgday166
01-09-2020, 12:12 AM
I'll buy. Just want him to expand the recruiting and analysts/QC budgets and personnel but on the coach .. probably gonna give that 2 or 3 years minimum before forming a strong opinion (I think ... surely we can't get another Joe **).

defiantdog
01-09-2020, 12:35 AM
Byrne didn’t hire Croom.

Cohen hired SloMo

Folks aren’t happy.

Bingo

Pennywise
01-09-2020, 01:05 AM
Even the supposed "connected" guys on GP keep saying things are 90% (Judge) and 99% done (Sarkisian), and then they fumble for more info when nothing comes to fruition.Yesterday morning it was for sure Judge. He even had his presumptive staff filled out, right? Then last night they had everyone convinced it was Sark. Today they have nothing. Even the latest report by SR was a bunch of meandering nothing. They don't know either right now.
https://media.giphy.com/media/WQjs5yEQjQ8jS/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
01-09-2020, 06:49 AM
Even the supposed "connected" guys on GP keep saying things are 90% (Judge) and 99% done (Sarkisian), and then they fumble for more info when nothing comes to fruition.Yesterday morning it was for sure Judge. He even had his presumptive staff filled out, right? Then last night they had everyone convinced it was Sark. Today they have nothing. Even the latest report by SR was a bunch of meandering nothing. They don't know either right now.
https://media.giphy.com/media/WQjs5yEQjQ8jS/giphy.gif

This.

IMO Due to us signing so many kids early, Cohen knows he has time on his side. There is literally no rush.

Thus he's taking a very process, step by step type approach to this search and that has many of the insiders confused because no AD really ever does that.

Most college football hires are rushed due to recruiting, so when a guy like Sark or Judge starts calling around to put a staff together, people think this thing is done, when in fact it's just another notch in the process.

Sienfield
01-09-2020, 07:59 AM
Well I'm not so sure the Mullen hire was that quiet. I remember that the rumor was that we were interested in Mullen and Mullen stated in public that he would be interested in talking to us about the job. Maybe I heard that on Bulldawg Junction though and can't verify now.

DLGDawg
01-09-2020, 08:33 AM
Well I'm not so sure the Mullen hire was that quiet. I remember that the rumor was that we were interested in Mullen and Mullen stated in public that he would be interested in talking to us about the job. Maybe I heard that on Bulldawg Junction though and can't verify now.

******* name surfaced at the very end. Right before that the Oklahoma OC Kevin??? was said to be almost done (IIRC).
That coaching search was very quiet. Chris Peterson was said to have accepted the job but slept on it and changed his mind. (again...IIRC). Or it leaked to early??? I remember someone posting on GP that "we got him" (Peterson).

IMO a lot of the angst is that on the surface it appears there's good low hanging fruit in Napier. I don't know anything about the negotiations.

timotheus
01-09-2020, 08:35 AM
Relax. The hire will be made sometime after next monday's championship game.

chef dixon
01-09-2020, 08:46 AM
Relax. The hire will be made sometime after next monday's championship game.

Would be interested to see if we would go after Tony Elliott (que the we need a coach with HC experience responses)

Pennywise
01-10-2020, 11:24 AM
Coulda been worse.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/It-Could-Have-Been-Worse-Samuel-L.-Jackson-Gif.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/7WwVYKDMt5khG/giphy.gif