PDA

View Full Version : Skip Holtz

redfishdawg
01-08-2020, 10:47 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been following this entire show. Frankly I thought Chiz or Judge would be good candidates--both on short contracts. (when you are paying 7 figures there is no reason to be afraid to fire someone. MOJO should have been gone after the presser following the UT loss.0

Over the last couple weeks as coaches have been ruled out and new names show up almost daily I have come to like the prospects of Holtz.

He has lots of HC experience. He has maturity. He has been successful at La Tech.

Here is what WIKI says:

"On December 13, 2012, former UConn, East Carolina and South Florida head coach Skip Holtz, son of legendary coach Lou Holtz,[70] accepted an offer to become the head coach for the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs.[71]

Holtz's first season, the 2013 campaign, was a rebuilding year as the Bulldogs finished 4?8.[72] However, 2014 would see a big turnaround. Holtz's Bulldogs went on to finish first in C-USA West at 9?5[73] with a 35?18 win over Illinois in the Heart Of Dallas Bowl.[74] In 2015, the Bulldogs continued their success finishing 9?4[75] and winning the New Orleans Bowl over Arkansas State, 47?28.[76] In 2016, Holtz's Bulldogs finished 9?5.[77] They won the C-USA West Division title and lost in the conference championship game against East Division champion Western Kentucky.[78] Tech then accomplished their third consecutive bowl victory by defeating Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl by kicking a late field goal to win 48?45.[79] In 2017 Louisiana Tech demolished Sonny Dykes' SMU team in the Frisco Bowl 51-10 in Frisco, TX. Tech's fifth consecutive bowl win was in 2018 when the Bulldogs defeated Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl 31-14. In 2019, the Bulldogs continued their postseason winning streak with a victory in the Independence Bowl, defeating Miami, 14-0."

He always schedules tough non conference opponents (usually at least one SEC team). He has a very good bowl record having beat Miami this year.

He knows good assistants. I think he would be like Orgeron in that he will have people on his staff to just be consultants like Robinsion is at LSU (he could get his Dad to give him feedback weekly)

Right now he would be my first choice among names being mentioned.

msstate7
01-08-2020, 10:52 PM
What happened at USF? That's the only black eye on his resume

Cooterpoot
01-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Holtz blows

Todd4State
01-08-2020, 10:57 PM
What happened at USF? That's the only black eye on his resume

Who knows? Probably just wasn't a fit there. It does happen. See Jim Leyland in Colorado.

I think Holtz is probably an OK coach. It wouldn't thrill me but I wouldn't hate it honestly. He has SEC experience at South Carolina and he has done well at most of his other stops. He's certainly not the only coach who hasn't succeeded at USF for whatever reason.

bobtail bob
01-08-2020, 10:58 PM
Stopped reading at Chiz would be a good candidate

Bubb Rubb
01-08-2020, 11:02 PM
Yeah, nothing will generate excitement with high school kids in Mississippi more than announcing Skip Holtz as coach. We would get killed in recruiting.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-08-2020, 11:02 PM
Holtz blows

Coot; you're always quick to interject shit like this, but you never give a reason why. You remind me of some of the folks that work for me who always complain about something or say something should be done better but never give a solution as how to make things better. People like that are pretty much worthless.

Mjoelner34
01-08-2020, 11:05 PM
Skip Holtz = Bill Clark = Gene Chizik = NO

Todd4State
01-08-2020, 11:09 PM
Skip Holtz = Bill Clark = Gene Chizik = NO

I will say that if I had to pick between those three it's Holtz. But I also will say I don't want Holtz.

redfishdawg
01-09-2020, 10:03 AM
I counted 10 Mississippi players on his roster this year. I found it particularly interesting the number of Texas players he has too. I suspect he has a pretty good Rolodex of high school coaches in Louisiana, Mississippi and East Texas.
https://latechsports.com/sports/football/roster

Cooterpoot
01-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Coot; you're always quick to interject shit like this, but you never give a reason why. You remind me of some of the folks that work for me who always complain about something or say something should be done better but never give a solution as how to make things better. People like that are pretty much worthless.

Because he's already proven it. Hell, it's not like he's winning CUSA every year either. Bill Clark has done more and I don't think much of him either. Holtz is not a good coach. If that hurts your feelings, guess what, I don't care.

RiverCityDawg
01-09-2020, 10:25 AM
Because he's already proven it. Hell, it's not like he's winning CUSA every year either. Bill Clark has done more and I don't think much of him either. Holtz is not a good coach. If that hurts your feelings, guess what, I don't care.

Who do you think much of?