PDA

View Full Version : What do we have to do to win tomorrow?

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2013, 09:11 AM
No surprise, but all the national prognosticators are giving us no shot tomorrow.

However, the problem that I have with South Carolina, compared to other SEC teams, is that I can't exactly figure out what their strength is and how we match up against it. Of course, Clowney is great and they really don't have weaknesses, but when playing LSU we all knew that we were going to have trouble against their receivers, but, with South Carolina, I can't find that mismatch.

South Carolina seems like a very solid team that doesn't have any real weaknesses, but, other than Clowney, doesn't have any extreme strengths.

I feel like we have shot tomorrow, but I can't really explain why.

Here is what I want to see:

1. I want to see us run the ball effectively early

2. We need to mix in some screens to slow the pass rush

3. I want to see our d-line stop the run and compete with their o-line

4. Whoever the field goal kicker is, I want to see them make a field goal early in the game. I want that confidence to be there.

5. Minimize unforced errors - we need maximum focus tomorrow, and can't afford false starts, off-sides, roughing the passer, etc... Penalties that we can easily control.

Does anyone know more about USC and what it will take to beat them?

MSU97
11-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I have been to Columbia before and it is a very rowdy stadium so I think the early game helps the situation. Same stuff different day if the dawgs can eliminate the dumb penalties and stupid errors then at least everything else has a chance of falling in place.

BulldogBear
11-01-2013, 09:24 AM
a) Hit the FG we'll need at some point

b) 3-4 screens AT LEAST

c) If you throw with Dak and run with Tyler let it be because it's the right play call not because we're trying to "fool" them. That's an old trick at this point (at least with killing drives by having Dak throw a bunch of incomplete passes)

d) do not, repeat DO NOT, try to run LP sideways to Clowney's side unless we are somehow blocking him effectively

e) Stop run. Make Shaw beat us. Pressure, play close. I'd rather get burned a time or two than give them everything 10-15 yards out. Glad Love is back

f) ATTACK. Play aggressively on Offense with and without the lead. Put doubt in their minds. Who are these bulldogs? Make them wonder who the heck it was that played KY and BGSU

maroonmania
11-01-2013, 09:26 AM
We are double digit underdogs. For a Mullen coached MSU team that pretty much means we have no shot. Just expect a loss and be happy if by some miracle we win. You will be much less disappointed that way. You know people want to throw out there that we judge our program based on what OM is doing and I think most of that is complete bunk. Regardless of what OM is doing right now I would still be unsatisfied that I had more hope for MSU football under Mullen in year 2 of his tenure than I do now in year 5.

CJDAWG85
11-01-2013, 09:27 AM
No ST debacles

Win the TO battle

Hit Shaw and Davis hard a lot

Play the entire game offensively like we normally do the 1H

bluelightstar
11-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Would require some divine intervention

cheewgumm
11-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Play someone other than SC.

Actually, I think we can win too, so I'm hoping. We(MSU) need it, Mullen needs it. It's ahrd to imagine given how Mullen does in games where he is the clear underdog.

No surprise, but all the national prognosticators are giving us no shot tomorrow.

However, the problem that I have with South Carolina, compared to other SEC teams, is that I can't exactly figure out what their strength is and how we match up against it. Of course, Clowney is great and they really don't have weaknesses, but when playing LSU we all knew that we were going to have trouble against their receivers, but, with South Carolina, I can't find that mismatch.

South Carolina seems like a very solid team that doesn't have any real weaknesses, but, other than Clowney, doesn't have any extreme strengths.

I feel like we have shot tomorrow, but I can't really explain why.

Here is what I want to see:

1. I want to see us run the ball effectively early

2. We need to mix in some screens to slow the pass rush

3. I want to see our d-line stop the run and compete with their o-line

4. Whoever the field goal kicker is, I want to see them make a field goal early in the game. I want that confidence to be there.

5. Minimize unforced errors - we need maximum focus tomorrow, and can't afford false starts, off-sides, roughing the passer, etc... Penalties that we can easily control.

Does anyone know more about USC and what it will take to beat them?

biscuit
11-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Not trying to be a smartass, but outscore them. We have to score in the red zone. This could turn out to be a high scoring affair.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 09:48 AM
1. We have to stop the run game. They love to hit it up inside, have teams use their Safeties to help on the run, and then PA over the top for big plays. Ifwe are controlling the run game, it means less Safety help, and less likely to get beat deep.

2. Keep the DakAttack on the field and keep doing what he does. Run the football and complete some easy throws along the way. We need somebody to shake loose for a big play like we did vs Auburn and Kentucky.

3. Win the turnover battle

Bo Darville
11-01-2013, 09:58 AM
1. We have to stop the run game. They love to hit it up inside, have teams use their Safeties to help on the run, and then PA over the top for big plays. Ifwe are controlling the run game, it means less Safety help, and less likely to get beat deep.

2. Keep the DakAttack on the field and keep doing what he does. Run the football and complete some easy throws along the way. We need somebody to shake loose for a big play like we did vs Auburn and Kentucky.

3. Win the turnover battle

Agree with this, especially #2 and #3. Mullen said in the clarion ledger article about play calling that there are only 2 or 3 great calls a game. I disagree. When playing football, ANY play that gets you 2 yards on 3rd and 1, or 6 yards on 3rd and 5, can be considered a great call. We have to keep drives moving. Don't give away drives (3rd and short early against Kentucky when Russell ran around the end still keeps me awake at night).

SignalToNoise
11-01-2013, 10:00 AM
What coach34 said.

Would love to see Derunnya or anyone else for that matter push off and get a huge TD catch like he did against LSU. Be physical and aggressive. Go after the ball and make that DB your bitch.

Also, this sounds overly simplistic, but we have got to score some second half points. If our second half can match our usual first half we are gonna be in the game with a chance to win.

MarketingBully01
11-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Here is what I think we have to do to win the game.

1. Stop the run - Davis is a great back and I believe he is beat up so this should work to our favor.

2. Run the Dak attack - run the read option. Do roll outs away from Clowney's side of the field and give Dak some easy throws early. On obvious blitz downs, either run screens and draws or just have Dak take off. Take some shots down the field to keep them honest

3. Win the Turn Over battle - this is always key on the road. I believe they are +2 as a team so they do have a tendency to turn it over.

4. Solid special teams - the kicking game is going to have to be solid. Bell has to hit the easy ones. He should be money from 30-39. We are going to have to get better here.

5. Don't allow them to score on their last possession before half. We have allowed this to happen the last three games and it has drastically effected our game. This has to stop. This will also help with our woes in the second half.

6. Start fast and get the crowd out of the game.

With all that said, these points are doable. It's an early game and that is always good for the visiting team. I think we do have a shot but we are going to have to play our most complete game yet. USC has a tendency to have a let down game after a big emotional win. Let's hope history for them repeats itself.

Coach007
11-01-2013, 10:21 AM
USC really has one game that they seemed to have been out of it. They lost to UT by 2 points. I believe they are a top 25 defense in the nation.

In rush defense, they are at 44. Allowing 140 yards per game. That's some good news for us.

In PED, They are 79th! That sounds like something we can exploit. PED is calculated on by opponents pass completion %, number of INTs, INT %, opponents passing yards, opponents yards per attempt, opponents passing td %.

The draw back is when you look at the passing yards allowed. 205, enough to put them in the top 25 in passing defense. They are not that great at ints, which lowers that average. Stopping right there.

I mentioned this in another thread. Our QB will have to be efficient in passing the ball in the first half against a team that's top 25 in not allowing many yards in that. If not, more of second half issues will continue.

Dak's completing 46+% vs ranked teams. He has to be more effective in passing early in the game.

CJDAWG85
11-01-2013, 10:32 AM
He has to be more effective in passing early in the game.

I agree... but we also need our WR/TE's to catch everything... Can't have a bunch of dropped passes

Coach 57
11-01-2013, 10:50 AM
It really comes down to the fronts honestly. Whose controls the game or dictates pace. I am like C34, I would run mid-line/zone stretch him to expose him with it and also zone read them to death. I want to see Dak have many touches RUNNING the ball! We can bludgeon them beat up their front. I believe our WRs are NO WHERE NEAR what we had in receiving last year but they are blocking in the perimeter better as they are FAR bigger bodied. This is a strength for us! Do NOT SELL this short! I believe in some games we have relied on the pass too much. Slow the game down!

Defensively I want us to hit Shaw & Davis EARLY, OFTEN and try to literally beat them up. I once told my DL before a big game about a rival star "if you see him at 7-11, Subway or Kmart I want him on
the ground picking his teeth off the floor!" That's the type of intensity I want our defense to bring! Especially the front 7. Sometimes even late hit penalties have a way of creating mainstay thoughts in an offensive players head. Of you are going to hit him late make sure it was worth it!

blacklistedbully
11-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Here is what I think we have to do to win the game.

1. Stop the run - Davis is a great back and I believe he is beat up so this should work to our favor.

2. Run the Dak attack - run the read option. Do roll outs away from Clowney's side of the field and give Dak some easy throws early. On obvious blitz downs, either run screens and draws or just have Dak take off. Take some shots down the field to keep them honest

3. Win the Turn Over battle - this is always key on the road. I believe they are +2 as a team so they do have a tendency to turn it over.

4. Solid special teams - the kicking game is going to have to be solid. Bell has to hit the easy ones. He should be money from 30-39. We are going to have to get better here.

5. Don't allow them to score on their last possession before half. We have allowed this to happen the last three games and it has drastically effected our game. This has to stop. This will also help with our woes in the second half.

6. Start fast and get the crowd out of the game.

With all that said, these points are doable. It's an early game and that is always good for the visiting team. I think we do have a shot but we are going to have to play our most complete game yet. USC has a tendency to have a let down game after a big emotional win. Let's hope history for them repeats itself.

The bolded items are the only things I have a problem with. You DO NOT run away from Clowney, you actually run right at him. He is outstanding at pursuit, but struggles when teams load up and target him. Run JR and/or Dak right at him all day long unless they load the box. Though I don't advocate trying to injure a guy, I'd try my best to get him thinking about his upcoming NFL career more than this game. Scare him if you can so he doesn't think it's worth it.

I truly hope I NEVER, EVER see Bell attempt another FG. Either give Sobiesk the chance, or just go for it. Our percentages are probably better just going for it anyway. Bell is a head case, total toast. Let him continue to handle kickoffs, where he truly shines, but for the love of all that is holy, don;t let him attempt a FG or even PAT. Sobiesk or bust at this point. I kid you not, if Mullen continues to trot Bell out there for FG's, I will slide more & more into the "fire Mullen camp" just because, IMO it would demonstrate COLOSSAL stupidity, and I don't want a cosch that is that stupid.

HailState39110
11-01-2013, 11:21 AM
to win a road game in the SEC against a top half of the conference team you must:

1. Win the turnover battle by +2 . We did this against Auburn and still lost (2-0)
2. Out rush them by at least 50 yards. If we can run the ball better than them it will obviously open up the playbook. With Mike Davis & Conner Shaw both expected to play but banged up we have a shot
3. Score TD's in the red zone. We can probably settle once for a FG and still win (not counting playing against the clock at the end of both halfs)
4. Bell has to make all of his FGs attempts . Cant leave any points on the field.
5. Score the first TD of the game. Always good to play with a lead on the road

Coach007
11-03-2013, 12:34 AM
The play calling was a lot better. I Actually felt that the mix was good in the first half for Dak throwing and that it would make it harder on half time adjustments.

We have an issue. I know it's not liked here, But there is noway that Dak should be starting at QB with Russell on the sideline. None. There were open guys missed and we can not continue to throw screens all day. USCe left 2 more ints on the field too.

I can't blame a young QB for making mistakes like at the end of the half. That's exactly what you should expect. Which is another reason Russell should not have been on the sideline.