PDA

View Full Version : DeviousDawg's Hump Day Hot Takes: "Sark is a Homerun hire for MSU"

DeviousDawg
01-08-2020, 01:04 PM
I haven't posted here since before the Egg Bowl(11/20/19), when I launched my "Hire Napier Campaign" through a resume style post that was titled "Let's not screw this up, we have to hire Billy Napier, regardless of EB result" (http://https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?77864-Let-s-not-screw-this-up-we-have-to-hire-Billy-Napier-regardless-of-the-EB-result). I hoped it would get the ball rolling for Napier support throughout the fan base, because he is who I believed would be the "perfect hire" for our program going forward. No, my feelings have not changed towards Napier, I think he would be the perfect hire and bring our program back within a couple years to where we were towards the end of Mullen's tenure. However, remember I said this post was pre-Egg Bowl, and how could have anyone guessed how that whole shit show would play out? I trust my sources, and just as everyone else was hearing, I was told he is fired 100% after the Egg Bowl, and Napier would be at the top of our list and we would be at the top of his, perfect marriage. Unfortunately, the divorce papers never went through, there were a lot of factors that contributed to this, but primarily this was due to a post-Thanksgiving Night road block that was set up at the tip-top of the Mississippi State Mountain. Not gonna get into that because it has been playing on replay for almost a month and a half now. It was a bad day for sources, because they were right, but wrong due to unforeseen circumstances.

Fast Forward a month and there is an ass kicking on the practice field, followed by an ass kicking on the football field, which ultimately lead to an ass dragging out the football facility. When the dust finally settled, we had a job opening, and Napier made it through the earlier hiring cycle without being scooped up by another P5 school. It all makes sense, it's just too easy, Napier is there, he is the guy, just waiting on his bowl game to end. Everything up until yesterday night that suggested Napier wasn't interested was smoke and mirrors, he was interested, and gave his demands less than 24 hours ago. Somewhere along the way, the two ends didn't meet, it's frustrating but as a athletic department we do have to draw a line monetarily, it's just being responsible. I believe Napier wanted a hard number for himself and his staff that couldn't be justified by our athletic department as considerable. Maybe, just maybe, he was asking for simply more than his resume merits. It's not easy to say no when you want it, but there are plenty fish in the sea(FWIW, I think the door is closed, but not locked with Napier, but for the first time in a week, I don't expect him to be our next HC). So this leads us to the Hump Day Hot Take...

****HOT TAKE ALERT**** " Sark is the perfect hire no one saw coming... Maybe even better than Napier..."

Anyone who is saying Sark is an underwhelming hire needs to get their head out of their ass, and I'm here to assist you with that(from afar). Here are a few reasons why

1. Sark will bring in recruiting classes like we haven't seen since the ride or die GenesPager's were exchanging $$$$ for just a little taste of Gene's skuttle-butt.

His resume speaks for itself. Go back all the way, he learned how to recruit under Coach O at USC, it's a mentality and a certain amount of coach swag. Kid's are gonna love him. Sark was hired by Washington in early December of 2008, he had 2 months to get together a class of kids that wanted to sign with a new coach and a team that just went 0-12, he had it worse than Croom. In that first class(2009 signing class) he finished #75 nationally and dead last in the PAC-12, but still managed to find commit in January, and then eventually sign some guy named Desmond Trufant. The following season he goes from 0-12 to 5-7 and from the #75 recruiting class to the #19 recruiting class in the country, and Washington isn't a place that typically recruited anywhere near that level. The next 4 years go by, 4 bowls, 4 more top 25 signing classes. By year 5 his team went 9-4 and signed the #18 signing class, good for 3rd in the PAC12. What a 5 year turnaround, he created a solid foundation, and then continued to build on it, leaving full cupboards and a finished house for Peterson to build off of and eventually create a CFP program.

Back to 2014, when he accepted the USC Job. In Lane's last 2 years at USC he experienced regression on the field AND on the recruiting trail. In 2012 Lane signed the #11 recruiting class(247sports) in the country and his offense finished 40th in scoring(32.1 ppg), then in 2013 Lane signed the #16 recruiting class(247sports) in the country and his offense finished #60 in scoring(29.7 ppg). Sark was hired in early December of 2013, so he had 2 months to put together a class, off of what was a departing dumpster fire. He exceeded expectations and more, signing the #9 recruiting class(247sports) in the country. Then, on the field in his first year the offense saw improvement to from the #60 offense(29.7 ppg) under Lane in 2013, to the #24 scoring offense(35.8 ppg) nationally in just his first year. Then he parlayed the on field success in 2014 into
the #1 2015 recruiting class in the entire country(247sports). Once again, I believe he was building a monster at USC in short work, plus the results at Washington do nothing but verify this idea.

He is a big time recruiter, I think he could consistently recruit inside the top 20 nationally here, and maybe work towards the top 15, that is a level we have really never seen. Recruiting is a must, and he's got it.

2. We are finally sleeping with the perfectly sexy, but questionably skanky blonde, with no fear of contracting anything and both eyes on the prize.

Look, we have all been there. She's fine as hell, but she lives life on the wild side, and with that brings a certain reputation. You weigh the risk reward.
-Potential risk? a trip to the doctor, minor pains and then eventually the search to fill that void restarts.
-Potential reward? You get what you wanted, someone way out of your league who is experienced & down to do most anything, and maybe just maybe the rumors that she has settled down are true, and just being at the right place at the right time could lead to you being that guy who everyone asks, "how the 17 did he get her? He's gotta be packing weight."

Look, if Sark hadn't had his drinking problems, I think there is a good chance he is still at USC if not in the NFL as a head coach, and considered one of the elite football coaches in the country. He was on that track before he fell off the tracks. Learned how to coach, recruit, relate and carry yourself under one of the best in Pete Carroll. Sark was the QB coach at USC for 5 years, in which he coached 2 Heisman winning QB'S and 3 top 10 overall draft pick QB's. Carroll thought so much of him that he promoted him from QB Coach to Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach at just the age of 33. In his first year as USC's OC(2007), the USC offense finished with 32.6 ppg(#35 nationally), the next year(2008), they improved to 37.5 ppg(#14 in the nation), by this time Sark was pushing 35 and ready to go out on his own, and accepted the Washington Head coach job, taking over a 0-12 dumpster fire. Sark thrived, going 5-7 in his first year on the job, and beating #3 ranked USC and his mentor Pete Carroll in just his 3rd game as a head coach(remember they went 0-12 the year before). Sark went on to rattle off 4 bowl seasons in a row, accompanied by 4 top 25 recruiting classes. Kiffin is fired from USC, and Sark is handed the keys to a Lambo(maybe before he was ready, mentally not coaching wise). In his first year he wins 9 games, the most for a first time USC head coach in their history. He then parlays that into the #1 recruiting class in the country(247sports). PAUSE... think about what this guy has done to this point of the story in such a short time(without the help of Diddy like his counterfart Lane), he is so far out of MSU's league that it would take something like.... well we all know what happened, he fell off the wagon and the rest is history, I believe he was on his way to creating a powerhouse at USC, FWIW.

This guy is out of our league, if he is truly sober, we are about to get a 10. If she fine, don't think too much, just do it, and I cannot believe we are assuming this mentality, but I love it.

3. He went to rehab and pulled the Jesus of college football as his Therapist, and impressed him.

After sitting out the rest of the 2015 season upon his termination at USC, he went to actual rehab, and then went to outpatient rehab at the Saban School of Second Chances. Many thought Saban was jumping out on a limb here, dancing with the devil, but many were wrong. He stayed sober and continued to grow as a coach under the best ever. By the end of his first season back in the game, he was promoted to OC for the national championship game after Lane headed down to South Beach after graduating from SSSC(Saban's School of Second Chances). Just 1 year removed from complete self destruction, Sark found himself back in the big time, through the Graces of Saban himself, and he did well enough to win the National Championship if not for a 4th quarter collapse of the ages. Clearly, Saban thought a lot of him, because after leaving at the conclusion of the 2016 season for the Falcon's OC job, Saban once again hired him back on his staff, this time as the Offensive Coordinator for the 2019 season. In 2016, he worked with a freshman running QB in Jalen Hurts, who went on to have 900+ rush yards as a freshman. This time in 2019, he would be working with Tua, a running QB, with killer accuracy, and glass bones. This couldn't have been easy to manage, you wanna use his legs, but you don't wanna get him hurt, then State rolls along and does it, takes out Tua after going through 3/4 of the season calling plays while walking on egg shells. Tua finished the season with a RTG over 200, insert Mac Jones, more of a pro style passer, think prototypical Bama QB, but with no real experience. He goes on to finish the season with a 69% completion %, 1503 yards 14 TD, 3 INT and a RTG of 186.8. So at Bama, in 14 games as OC over 2 separate years, he had to use 3 different QB's, all completely different styles, one a State type running QB(Hurts), Tua(his style is his own, made harder to call as an OC by his beforementioned glass bones), and then a Pro-Style Passer in Mac Jones. All this considered, Bama finished the season with the #2 scoring offense in the country, averaging an absurd (47.2 ppg). He did all of this in just 2 short years in SSSC, and he is now ready to graduate. This is falling into our laps, and it couldn't be more perfect.

I also want to add, those that say Sark has a pro style offense and it's not gonna work like Moorehead's didn't, just look at what he has done at Bama, and then look at what he did at Washington in his first 2 years. His entire coaching career before Washington, he had as pro style as pro style gets QB's as USC. Then, in 2009, a time before the read/spread option was really a staple of football, he inherited a QB in Jake Locker that was a + runner. Well over the next 2 years before getting Locker drafted in the 1st round, he called plays to his strengths, allowing him to rack up just under 800 rushing yards and 13 rushing TD's, well before that was the norm across college football, he adjusted before he had to, and now has worked with all types of QB's always adjusting accordingly. ALSO, he will bring in a spread option OC, instead of being stubborn and shoving a square peg into a round hole, he will adjust, and mix what he knows already about the spread option, with what his OC knows. He has a brilliant mind, it will work, and thrive.

Point is, Sark was knocked down in the early stages of his prime, and then spent half a decade refining himself, and his offense, and learning how to run a program, on and off the field, from the best in Nick Saban. Then mix that with what he learned at USC under Pete Carroll for 7 years, then the lessons he learned and executed on how to build a program from the foundation up at Washington, and now will put it all together to finish what he had started at USC, create a monster of a program, at Mississippi State University.

It now makes perfect sense why we decided to not allow beer sales in the Stadium, Sark was the guy the whole time.

Come on down Sark, you perfectly sexy/skanky football genius.

Dawgbite
01-08-2020, 01:14 PM
I like the choice as well or possibly better than Napier. But what do I know, I spend most of my day checking message boards for any tidbit of information and eating Cheetos. On a completely unrelated subject, does anybody know why your penis would take on an orange tint?

vv83
01-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Great write up and I like what you said but playing devils advocate... what are your honest thoughts on his time in Atlanta? He took over a historic offense fresh off a SB loss with an MVP QB and all time WR... and it did not look good. Honest question as that’s the part of his resume that worries me the most and I’d like to hear thoughts on it.

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2020, 01:22 PM
Great post. Agree 100%

bulldawg28
01-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Sark is the man!

R2Dawg
01-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Great write up and I like what you said but playing devils advocate... what are your honest thoughts on his time in Atlanta? He took over a historic offense fresh off a SB loss with an MVP QB and all time WR... and it did not look good. Honest question as that?s the part of his resume that worries me the most and I?d like to hear thoughts on it.

Well Saban was a failure in Miami too so you just never know.

Fred Garvin
01-08-2020, 01:31 PM
I forgot about his time under Pete Carroll. That?s a sound training ground. Would be interested in how he fulfill?s Cohen?s requirement of ?having an edge?.

PMDawg
01-08-2020, 01:43 PM
Thank you for that. Definitely gives me pause on my initial reaction.

BulldogDX55
01-08-2020, 02:08 PM
Thank you for this.

I've been running across all three major boards trying to tell people that this is a fantastic hire and most people who read my career bullet points stepped off the ledge.

Your write up blows mine out of the water and puts it into terms that even our most mouth breathing fans can understand with the "hot girl with a past that she seems to be passed" metaphor.

This could seriously be a killer hire and people don't realize it. Of course, most of those who don't like it just make a random fact free statement of disapproval and don't defend their stance, but that's another issue altogether with people in general.

DLGDawg
01-08-2020, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=DeviousDawg;1216773

Anyone who is saying Sark is an underwhelming hire needs to get their head out of their ass, and I'm here to assist you with that(from afar). Here are a few reasons why

He is a big time recruiter, I think he could consistently recruit inside the top 20 nationally here, and maybe work towards the top 15, that is a level we have really never seen. Come on down Sark, you perfectly sexy/skanky football genius.[/QUOTE]

A very possible positive from hiring Sark would be loyalty. I've had my fair share of dealing with addicts and/or recovering addicts.

If we give him the chance to become a head coach at a P5 school again, Sark would be very appreciative/thankful to us for giving him this opportunity. I think he would possibly stay with us unless one of top 5 blue bloods came a calling.

gtowndawg
01-08-2020, 02:25 PM
A very possible positive from hiring Sark would be loyalty. I've had my fair share of dealing with addicts and/or recovering addicts.

If we give him the chance to become a head coach at a P5 school again, Sark would be very appreciative/thankful to us for giving him this opportunity. I think he would possibly stay with us unless one of top 5 blue bloods came a calling.

Said the same thing in a text this morning. Totally agree.

Turfdawg67
01-08-2020, 02:56 PM
Said the same thing in a text this morning. Totally agree.

You said all that in a text? Damn!

Nice job as always DD. Glad you're not my insurance salesman!

confucius say
01-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Interesting background as a player too. Started as a baseball player at USCw. Transferred to juco and played football. Went on to BYU and became a second team all American qb under OC norm chow.

I will say the alcohol problems are alleged to have been bad. Like showing up to practices and even a game drunk. With cohen having seen alcoholism and the sobriety battle firsthand, that creates an interesting dynamic.

yjnkdawg
01-08-2020, 03:48 PM
DD Da Man!! Great Post

trojandawg
01-08-2020, 03:49 PM
wouldn't say home run, but he is probably the best we could hire without hiring a successful sitting head coach. i like his offensive style better than moorhead's although i wish he would run more power spread, but his offense has a lot of quick hit in it. he can chew ass in a practice i've seen that. he has some fire in him and a pretty good swagger which is good to have in a coach. his rebuild of washington is impressive. not as high of a spike in wins as Mullen did here in his building frame, but he might have gotten there had he coached a few more years instead of jumping to SC. SC he showed lack of self discipline which concerns me for overall discipline, but seems to have been doing a good job with that lately. I like him better than some other names floated like the academy coaches and chizik. i actually like him better than Judge because he has coached in the college game a lot more. Napier to me has more potential i think and is the better fit for us because of the style offense he likes to run and his connection to the south and his ability to both recruit and develop. but Sark has grown on me. i'm just still a little snake bit from him ruining his chance at SC.

Lord McBuckethead
01-08-2020, 04:54 PM
I like it. have him come over and finish up this class.

DeviousDawg
01-08-2020, 05:30 PM
I like the choice as well or possibly better than Napier. But what do I know, I spend most of my day checking message boards for any tidbit of information and eating Cheetos. On a completely unrelated subject, does anybody know why your penis would take on an orange tint?

Orange is ok, just stay away from Flamin’ Hot Cheetos when you are “checking the boards”.... Unless you can eat with the left and check the boards with the right, or vice versa, really just depends which hand is your checking the message board hand.

DeviousDawg
01-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Great write up and I like what you said but playing devils advocate... what are your honest thoughts on his time in Atlanta? He took over a historic offense fresh off a SB loss with an MVP QB and all time WR... and it did not look good. Honest question as that?s the part of his resume that worries me the most and I?d like to hear thoughts on it.

Yeah that doesn't worry me, at all... I think it was a combination of factors, including but not limited to the ones listed below.

Sark had never called plays in the NFL, and only spent one season in 2004 in the NFL as Oakland's QB Coach. The personnel is different, the alignments and adjustment are different, average football IQ if defenders is way higher. Basically his scheme was built for college players, against college players, I'm sure if he had had a few years to adjust it it would've gotten better, and to be fair, in his 2nd year they were averaging about 5 more ppg than they did his first year. You just never know if it will translate.

Matt Ryan may have a MVP trophy in his Man Cave, but that don't mean he is an MVP caliber player, he had 1-2 good years and has been average outside of that. NFL DC's hadn't adjusted to Shanahan's offense yet in their big year. He had a bunch of wide open guys and short throws that went down as 80 yard passes in the box score.

Shanahan is one of the best playcallers on planet Earth, which will make average offenses look elite until defenses adjust. Didn't happened until the second half of the Super Bowl that year.

Unrealistic expectations were put on Sark due to the previous seasons success. It was scheme based, not talent based. He was expected to keep the train rolling without slowing down a bit, which wasn't fair considering he had never called a play in the NFL in his life and hadn't been an Offensive Coordinator(exclusively) in a decade.

Julio started to age, still good body positioning in traffic but he was on the downslope of his career(physically) when Sark stepped in, and it makes a difference when you are expecting an all-world receiver and just get a good one. Gabriel and Coleman are fast, but it's the NFL and everyone has speed. Freeman wasn't what he was in first his 2 years as well, and had just signed a record breaking 5-year deal making him the highest paid RB, carries were then limited, he got knicked up here and there and was never the same.

Add all that together with how the Falcons lost the SB the year before(unfinished business mentality) and he never stood a chance. You basically had a 1st time NFL coordinator replacing Shanahan(who was a masterful play caller and still is as he has turned the laughable 49ers into big time SB contenders) and expected to not skip a beat, with a "MVP QB" that doesn't have MVP talent, a young running back that lost his legs after signing a big contract, 2 speedsters, and an all-world WR that was still viewed in that light although he had clearly lost a step or two to age. It was the perfect storm for failure. And the thing is, go look at the numbers, they aren't as bad as you remember, especially for a 1st NFL playcaller who was in the process of resculpting his lifestyle and image in a very public light. It got better in year 2 but the heat was on Quinn and Sark was the easy scapegoat(some of it he deserved but not all the blame).

Basically, it's a non factor when considering whether he would work at State as a HC, which is why I didn?t even mention it. I'm sure when Saban hired him back they talked a lot about failing in the NFL, and turning it into a positive experience and growth in the College game. Says a lot that Saban wanted him back as OC, that's what you should take from that whole situation, and that he can experience stressful and rough times and not relapse.

I've fully talked myself into placing Sark #1 on my list, ahead of Napier or Leach. If Keenum is blocking the deal from being made, that is a very shallow, but also a very Mississippi State move of him. We have to quit this we are above imperfection and should be nice and fair, do the right thing according to the personal morals, type mentality. Get the guy that is the best Football Coach, not the best person, and let the Athletic Director, make Athletic Decisions. If we look for the guy that checks all the moral values boxes, we will end up with another Moorehead. Hate to break it to people, but most football coaches, aren?t perfect people according to the Sunday morning gossip group. We need a football coach, Starkville the City, the university, our athletic department(private donations) all depend on it.

It's time to call the sexy but possibly skanky(in past or reputation based) chick that knows how to ride a stick(shift), whip it into 5th gear and gitRdone. For once, can we not make a Mississippi State decision, it's ok to make decisions based on wanting to win rather than wanting to look like "the awe shucks good ole guy'. The "awe shucks good ole guy" act is getting old. No one fears that, they are nice to your face and laugh at you behind your back, oftently followed by "what a little bitch". For some State fans they are just happy to be included, a part of the SEC(yay!!) and a lot of those people will prefer Paster John from Decatur, MS as our next HC, over a real deal, big-time P5 HC candidate because he cusses at the poor wittle SEC college football players. If you don't like what football is, fine by me and I'm not stopping, just don?t get involved, pu$$ies, cuz this mentality has held us back for too long.

dawgday166
01-08-2020, 06:40 PM
I like this post. I'll take Sark.

Dawgology
01-08-2020, 06:59 PM
I haven't posted here since before the Egg Bowl(11/20/19), when I launched my "Hire Napier Campaign" through a resume style post that was titled "Let's not screw this up, we have to hire Billy Napier, regardless of EB result" (http://https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?77864-Let-s-not-screw-this-up-we-have-to-hire-Billy-Napier-regardless-of-the-EB-result). I hoped it would get the ball rolling for Napier support throughout the fan base, because he is who I believed would be the "perfect hire" for our program going forward. No, my feelings have not changed towards Napier, I think he would be the perfect hire and bring our program back within a couple years to where we were towards the end of Mullen's tenure. However, remember I said this post was pre-Egg Bowl, and how could have anyone guessed how that whole shit show would play out? I trust my sources, and just as everyone else was hearing, I was told he is fired 100% after the Egg Bowl, and Napier would be at the top of our list and we would be at the top of his, perfect marriage. Unfortunately, the divorce papers never went through, there were a lot of factors that contributed to this, but primarily this was due to a post-Thanksgiving Night road block that was set up at the tip-top of the Mississippi State Mountain. Not gonna get into that because it has been playing on replay for almost a month and a half now. It was a bad day for sources, because they were right, but wrong due to unforeseen circumstances.

Fast Forward a month and there is an ass kicking on the practice field, followed by an ass kicking on the football field, which ultimately lead to an ass dragging out the football facility. When the dust finally settled, we had a job opening, and Napier made it through the earlier hiring cycle without being scooped up by another P5 school. It all makes sense, it's just too easy, Napier is there, he is the guy, just waiting on his bowl game to end. Everything up until yesterday night that suggested Napier wasn't interested was smoke and mirrors, he was interested, and gave his demands less than 24 hours ago. Somewhere along the way, the two ends didn't meet, it's frustrating but as a athletic department we do have to draw a line monetarily, it's just being responsible. I believe Napier wanted a hard number for himself and his staff that couldn't be justified by our athletic department as considerable. Maybe, just maybe, he was asking for simply more than his resume merits. It's not easy to say no when you want it, but there are plenty fish in the sea(FWIW, I think the door is closed, but not locked with Napier, but for the first time in a week, I don't expect him to be our next HC). So this leads us to the Hump Day Hot Take...

****HOT TAKE ALERT**** " Sark is the perfect hire no one saw coming... Maybe even better than Napier..."

1. Sark will bring in recruiting classes like we haven't seen since the ride or die GenesPager's were exchanging $$$$ for just a little taste of Gene's skuttle-butt.

His resume speaks for itself. Go back all the way, he learned how to recruit under Coach O at USC, it's a mentality and a certain amount of coach swag. Kid's are gonna love him. Sark was hired by Washington in early December of 2008, he had 2 months to get together a class of kids that wanted to sign with a new coach and a team that just went 0-12, he had it worse than Croom. In that first class(2009 signing class) he finished #75 nationally and dead last in the PAC-12, but still managed to find commit in January, and then eventually sign some guy named Desmond Trufant. The following season he goes from 0-12 to 5-7 and from the #75 recruiting class to the #19 recruiting class in the country, and Washington isn't a place that typically recruited anywhere near that level. The next 4 years go by, 4 bowls, 4 more top 25 signing classes. By year 5 his team went 9-4 and signed the #18 signing class, good for 3rd in the PAC12. What a 5 year turnaround, he created a solid foundation, and then continued to build on it, leaving full cupboards and a finished house for Peterson to build off of and eventually create a CFP program.

Back to 2014, when he accepted the USC Job. In Lane's last 2 years at USC he experienced regression on the field AND on the recruiting trail. In 2012 Lane signed the #11 recruiting class(247sports) in the country and his offense finished 40th in scoring(32.1 ppg), then in 2013 Lane signed the #16 recruiting class(247sports) in the country and his offense finished #60 in scoring(29.7 ppg). Sark was hired in early December of 2013, so he had 2 months to put together a class, off of what was a departing dumpster fire. He exceeded expectations and more, signing the #9 recruiting class(247sports) in the country. Then, on the field in his first year the offense saw improvement to from the #60 offense(29.7 ppg) under Lane in 2013, to the #24 scoring offense(35.8 ppg) nationally in just his first year. Then he parlayed the on field success in 2014 into
the #1 2015 recruiting class in the entire country(247sports). Once again, I believe he was building a monster at USC in short work, plus the results at Washington do nothing but verify this idea.

He is a big time recruiter, I think he could consistently recruit inside the top 20 nationally here, and maybe work towards the top 15, that is a level we have really never seen. Recruiting is a must, and he's got it.

2. We are finally sleeping with the perfectly sexy, but questionably skanky blonde, with no fear of contracting anything and both eyes on the prize.

Look, we have all been there. She's fine as hell, but she lives life on the wild side, and with that brings a certain reputation. You weigh the risk reward.
-Potential risk? a trip to the doctor, minor pains and then eventually the search to fill that void restarts.
-Potential reward? You get what you wanted, someone way out of your league who is experienced & down to do most anything, and maybe just maybe the rumors that she has settled down are true, and just being at the right place at the right time could lead to you being that guy who everyone asks, "how the 17 did he get her? He's gotta be packing weight."

Look, if Sark hadn't had his drinking problems, I think there is a good chance he is still at USC if not in the NFL as a head coach, and considered one of the elite football coaches in the country. He was on that track before he fell off the tracks. Learned how to coach, recruit, relate and carry yourself under one of the best in Pete Carroll. Sark was the QB coach at USC for 5 years, in which he coached 2 Heisman winning QB'S and 3 top 10 overall draft pick QB's. Carroll thought so much of him that he promoted him from QB Coach to Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach at just the age of 33. In his first year as USC's OC(2007), the USC offense finished with 32.6 ppg(#35 nationally), the next year(2008), they improved to 37.5 ppg(#14 in the nation), by this time Sark was pushing 35 and ready to go out on his own, and accepted the Washington Head coach job, taking over a 0-12 dumpster fire. Sark thrived, going 5-7 in his first year on the job, and beating #3 ranked USC and his mentor Pete Carroll in just his 3rd game as a head coach(remember they went 0-12 the year before). Sark went on to rattle off 4 bowl seasons in a row, accompanied by 4 top 25 recruiting classes. Kiffin is fired from USC, and Sark is handed the keys to a Lambo(maybe before he was ready, mentally not coaching wise). In his first year he wins 9 games, the most for a first time USC head coach in their history. He then parlays that into the #1 recruiting class in the country(247sports). PAUSE... think about what this guy has done to this point of the story in such a short time(without the help of Diddy like his counterfart Lane), he is so far out of MSU's league that it would take something like.... well we all know what happened, he fell off the wagon and the rest is history, I believe he was on his way to creating a powerhouse at USC, FWIW.

This guy is out of our league, if he is truly sober, we are about to get a 10. If she fine, don't think too much, just do it, and I cannot believe we are assuming this mentality, but I love it.

3. He went to rehab and pulled the Jesus of college football as his Therapist, and impressed him.

After sitting out the rest of the 2015 season upon his termination at USC, he went to actual rehab, and then went to outpatient rehab at the Saban School of Second Chances. Many thought Saban was jumping out on a limb here, dancing with the devil, but many were wrong. He stayed sober and continued to grow as a coach under the best ever. By the end of his first season back in the game, he was promoted to OC for the national championship game after Lane headed down to South Beach after graduating from SSSC(Saban's School of Second Chances). Just 1 year removed from complete self destruction, Sark found himself back in the big time, through the Graces of Saban himself, and he did well enough to win the National Championship if not for a 4th quarter collapse of the ages. Clearly, Saban thought a lot of him, because after leaving at the conclusion of the 2016 season for the Falcon's OC job, Saban once again hired him back on his staff, this time as the Offensive Coordinator for the 2019 season. In 2016, he worked with a freshman running QB in Jalen Hurts, who went on to have 900+ rush yards as a freshman. This time in 2019, he would be working with Tua, a running QB, with killer accuracy, and glass bones. This couldn't have been easy to manage, you wanna use his legs, but you don't wanna get him hurt, then State rolls along and does it, takes out Tua after going through 3/4 of the season calling plays while walking on egg shells. Tua finished the season with a RTG over 200, insert Mac Jones, more of a pro style passer, think prototypical Bama QB, but with no real experience. He goes on to finish the season with a 69% completion %, 1503 yards 14 TD, 3 INT and a RTG of 186.8. So at Bama, in 14 games as OC over 2 separate years, he had to use 3 different QB's, all completely different styles, one a State type running QB(Hurts), Tua(his style is his own, made harder to call as an OC by his beforementioned glass bones), and then a Pro-Style Passer in Mac Jones. All this considered, Bama finished the season with the #2 scoring offense in the country, averaging an absurd (47.2 ppg). He did all of this in just 2 short years in SSSC, and he is now ready to graduate. This is falling into our laps, and it couldn't be more perfect.

I also want to add, those that say Sark has a pro style offense and it's not gonna work like Moorehead's didn't, just look at what he has done at Bama, and then look at what he did at Washington in his first 2 years. His entire coaching career before Washington, he had as pro style as pro style gets QB's as USC. Then, in 2009, a time before the read/spread option was really a staple of football, he inherited a QB in Jake Locker that was a + runner. Well over the next 2 years before getting Locker drafted in the 1st round, he called plays to his strengths, allowing him to rack up just under 800 rushing yards and 13 rushing TD's, well before that was the norm across college football, he adjusted before he had to, and now has worked with all types of QB's always adjusting accordingly. ALSO, he will bring in a spread option OC, instead of being stubborn and shoving a square peg into a round hole, he will adjust, and mix what he knows already about the spread option, with what his OC knows. He has a brilliant mind, it will work, and thrive.

Point is, Sark was knocked down in the early stages of his prime, and then spent half a decade refining himself, and his offense, and learning how to run a program, on and off the field, from the best in Nick Saban. Then mix that with what he learned at USC under Pete Carroll for 7 years, then the lessons he learned and executed on how to build a program from the foundation up at Washington, and now will put it all together to finish what he had started at USC, create a monster of a program, at Mississippi State University.

It now makes perfect sense why we decided to not allow beer sales in the Stadium, Sark was the guy the whole time.

Come on down Sark, you perfectly sexy/skanky football genius.

I think I just figured out who you are..... weird. How did I not see it this whole time?

softballfanatic1
01-08-2020, 07:11 PM
DeviousDawg. I must admit I was a Sark doubter until I read this. Good job.

DeviousDawg
01-08-2020, 08:15 PM
I think I just figured out who you are..... weird. How did I not see it this whole time?

Hmmmm.... I highly doubt it, you would be the first to know. 100% incognito up to this point. Easier to be devious from behind the mask.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-08-2020, 09:25 PM
I looked into Sark's assistants from his time at Washington and SC. It was hard to get details on most of them, but it had the main positions covered. One stood out to me. His S&C coach, Ivan Lewis. I know he was with Sark at Washington in 2013 and went with him to USC and coached with Sark in 2014 and 2015. He is currently the S&C coach for the Seattle Seahawks.

I'm sure they are paying him well, but didn't JoMo get an NFL S&C his first year here? If that son of a gun is good enough for the Seahawks, he's good enough for us. But then again, just don't know what he's making.

GT3F8
01-08-2020, 10:31 PM
Looks like it is down to Sark and Leach.....