PDA

View Full Version : Couple of things about the search?

MaroonBelle
01-08-2020, 09:57 AM
I saw BourbonGhost (Bama homer on twitter, Jeez what an easy job) compare Cohen coaching search to Byrne and Stricklin and he came up lacking. First, holy crap, it's been 12 years since either of them had to hire a football coach at MSU. In that time, MSU has been to 10 bowl games, been #1 in the country for a few weeks, been in the top 25 more than we ever had before, had better recruiting classes than ever before, now have the QB for the Dallas Cowboys along with multiple other Pro Bowl and All Pro NFL starters, had multiple first and second round picks including 3 first round picks just last year. JOHN COHEN runs a completely different program than either of them ever had to hire for. Regardless of what anyone, including some of our own fans, thinks, we are actually relevant in CFB.

When they were hiring coaches at MSU for football, nobody gave a shit and social media was in its infancy. Nobody cared who our choices were. Nobody cared what our budget was.

Do you know who Byrne hired in that span of time to coach football since his Mullen hire? F'n RichRod at Arizona, who we had creamed in a bowl game against Michigan. What a home run that turned out to be, huh?

Lest we forget, who did Stricklin hire to coach football at Florida in that time? That's right. Everybody's favorite coach, Mullen. And this was after being turned down for the job by their first what, 3, candidates. So he came to poach the guy he was most familiar with from his Alma Mater. He finally had to run home to mama to get a coach.

Is that really what we are comparing John too? One of the reasons this hasn't been neat is...it's impossible for it to be quiet in this day and age for an even somewhat relevant team to do a search without noise. Strick had plenty of noise and missed out on a few...Byrne high tailed it out of Dodge before his Arizona chickens came home to roost and the biggest decision he's had to make regarding Alabama football was how many more millions to pay Nick Saban in an extension from an athletic budget that is more than twice the size of ours.

Dawgtini
01-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Nice. Well said. I would also add that this is the 3rd week DAY since the firing, the 5th day total. It has not even been a week. Kinda hard to pass judgement on how the hire has gone this early in the process. And to your point about social media - it's not just factual information that gets bandied about, the predominant "info" out there is pure speculation and propaganda! Patience IS actually a virtue.

Dawg2003
01-08-2020, 10:13 AM
You also have to factor in that coaching searches in the day of social media are very different.

Coursesuper
01-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Total drivel bullshit. We get it JC is wonderful and the rest are the devil.

MaroonBelle
01-08-2020, 10:33 AM
Total drivel bullshit. We get it JC is wonderful and the rest are the devil.

We get it, you hate John Cohen, and everybody else would do it better. Also, I don't think he's perfect but I do think he gets a lot of shit flung at him that is undeserved.

defiantdog
01-08-2020, 10:40 AM
We get it, you hate John Cohen, and everybody else would do it better. Also, I don't think he's perfect but I do think he gets a lot of shit flung at him that is undeserved.
I don't want to support Cohen..... but most of the presumptions and rumors are speculated by the local media. Is he feeding them? Maybe..... but technically he hasn't said a damn word since his press conference.

MaroonBelle
01-08-2020, 10:43 AM
I don't want to support Cohen..... but most of the presumptions and rumors are speculated by the local media. Is he feeding them? Maybe..... but technically he hasn't said a damn word since his press conference.

There has been way more media than local talking about this coach search. Hell, because of Judge, guys who normally only cover NFL even mentioned it.

Coursesuper
01-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Fine and yes he gets a ration of shit, that's the job and he is far far from perfect. But your busting on Scott for doing his job and the rest is pure homerism because people chose to leave MSU. I'll leave this at MSU had a chance to hire a real AD and we hired a baseball coach that's leaning as he goes because those that were getting theirs can continue to receive.

MaroonBelle
01-08-2020, 10:58 AM
Fine and yes he gets a ration of shit, that's the job and he is far far from perfect. But your busting on Scott for doing his job and the rest is pure homerism because people chose to leave MSU. I'll leave this at MSU had a chance to hire a real AD and we hired a baseball coach that's leaning as he goes because those that were getting theirs can continue to receive.

I'm not busting Scott. I think he left for Florida because he wants to be SEC Commish and I hope he gets it because I think it would be good for us. I'm fine with him. I'm not fine with people comparing his coaching searches to John's and acting like his have been perfect because he ultimately ended up with a good coach after some trial and error but John is somehow the ultimate screw up.

msbulldog
01-08-2020, 03:25 PM

Strick got turned down by Chip Kelly and Scott Frost before he ever got to Mullen. As far as we know JC has not been turned down by anyone, J Judge would have taken the job if he didn't get 7 M from the Giants.

msbulldog
01-08-2020, 03:26 PM
NM