PDA

View Full Version : So who would you have hired as HC

Irondawg
01-08-2020, 09:23 AM
One name and you can't pick Judge or Napier. I'm curious what people will say and what the true Hud love is and if anybody actually would say Sark.

My pick was Grantham assuming he would bring in a good OC. I don't know if the ceiling was crazy high with him, but I knew we'd be tough and field a competitive defense. He liked Starkville (that's a big deal) and he's got tons of SEC experience so no learning curve for the league itself. Not a great recruiter but certainly not worse than Mullen probably.

Spiderman
01-08-2020, 09:31 AM
One name and you can't pick Judge or Napier. I'm curious what people will say and what the true Hud love is and if anybody actually would say Sark.

My pick was Grantham assuming he would bring in a good OC. I don't know if the ceiling was crazy high with him, but I knew we'd be tough and field a competitive defense. He liked Starkville (that's a big deal) and he's got tons of SEC experience so no learning curve for the league itself. Not a great recruiter but certainly not worse than Mullen probably.

No Napier and can only name one? I'd say at this point Hud, with Rich Rod being #2

hacker
01-08-2020, 09:32 AM
I would've said Hud yesterday, but after reading more, I'm warming up to Sark

Really Clark?
01-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Troy Calhoun, if the staff was a good mix to help with the area recruiting.

TrapGame
01-08-2020, 09:34 AM
I would've said Hud yesterday, but after reading more, I'm warming up to Sark

Yeah, Sark's resume is better than Hud's. Sark is a good hire, not great but has upside.

StoneDawg
01-08-2020, 09:37 AM
Sark is the best candidate. We lucked in to this one. It?s been a shit show.

parabrave
01-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Grantham with a good O/C

DawgPoundtheRock
01-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Fickel from Cincinnati. Number 2 Willie Fritz from Tulane.

Has anyone mentioned Will Healy from Charlotte?

Irondawg
01-08-2020, 10:35 AM
Fickel from Cincinnati. Number 2 Willie Fritz from Tulane.

Has anyone mentioned Will Healy from Charlotte?

Fickel didn't want to leave Ohio - has 6 kids and that's home for his family. Healy is just really young as well. Not sure why Fritz didn't get any attention

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-08-2020, 10:37 AM
Troy Calhoun, if the staff was a good mix to help with the area recruiting.

Agreed

Really Clark?
01-08-2020, 10:41 AM
Fickel didn't want to leave Ohio - has 6 kids and that's home for his family. Healy is just really young as well. Not sure why Fritz didn't get any attention

9 wins this year he probably would have. I know that doesn’t sound like much but that would have been a steady rise and they lost a couple they shouldn’t have. I like Fritz but I would have liked to see him take that next step in the AAC. Great track record though.

Irondawg
01-08-2020, 01:04 PM
I love the fact that this thread has 400+ views and we have people complaining constantly about who might be hired but less than 10 people can name who they would like to hire

Mobile Bay
01-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Take a shot at Gus

EdDawg
01-08-2020, 01:53 PM
Saban, would've offered him 30 million a year. I don't know why John won't open up the checkbook!****

Dicksy
01-08-2020, 02:02 PM
We missed our chance the last go around but PJ Fleck has been my top choice for years.

Really Clark?
01-08-2020, 02:03 PM
Take a shot at Gus

Even if for some bizarre reason he would consider leaving Auburn for us and we would agree to some matching salary on what?s left of his contract, around $35 MIL I believe, we still have to pay an enormous buyout of $20+ MIL...that?s just not remotely a possibility

Coursesuper
01-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Mr. Coach Klein

Mobile Bay
01-08-2020, 02:20 PM
Even if for some bizarre reason he would consider leaving Auburn for us and we would agree to some matching salary on what?s left of his contract, around $35 MIL I believe, we still have to pay an enormous buyout of $20+ MIL...that?s just not remotely a possibility

I think we could have negotiated a better deal on the buyout. We can afford the salary. As to why Gus would want to leave, most of the fans have wanted him gone for years. Little brother syndrome is rampant on the plains. Plus Auburn has some of the worst boosters when it comes to telling a coach how to run a program.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Sark is the best available if Napier is out.

Imagine if Pittman at Ark went 5-7, 7-5, 7-5, 8-4 while recruiting better than anyone in Arkys history had? Well that's what Sark did at Washington, who was worse than Arky at the time.

Then let's say Pittman got a job at Florida, won 2 more games than the previous coach did and signed the #2 class.

Would you say Pittman was a mediocre coach at that point? Hell no wed think hed a stud that's out of our league. Were lucky Sark is there for the taking

trojandawg
01-08-2020, 03:32 PM
i was much higher on Willie Fritz at the mid point of this year, but he struggled in the second half of the year. but he would have been on my interview list. Fickel, Grantham, Hud, Sark, Venables, would have all been on my interview list if i couldn't get Napier on it. they probably would have been on there anyway. I know not popular but I would also talk to some retreads like Rich Rod and Todd Graham. Todd Graham is interesting to me because he has been pretty successful where he has been but got fire at ASU. some of the guys that have been hired all over coach under him.

Matt3467
01-08-2020, 03:33 PM
Freeze. Not joking either.

Bothrops
01-08-2020, 04:03 PM
Sark is the best candidate. We lucked in to this one. It?s been a shit show.

This is true. If we don't get him, we better have a good reason for it.