PDA

View Full Version : Going to Need some help getting on board with Sark...

Randolph Dupree
01-08-2020, 08:32 AM
A lot of folks saying it would be a great hire, I'm not sure I see it like that so somebody sell me on it.

Here's what I see:

Turned around Washington= good but, hey, it's in the PAC12

Coached USC = meh. Great talent, easy to recruit and had mixed results.

Fired for being intoxicated on the job repeatedly= not good.

ATL Falcons OC= disaster (if I remember correctly)

Bama OC = good results but the thing was already built and he had structure there, so I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

We need discipline, a competent offense, maintain our defense. Can Sark do that? Outside of offense, there's not a lot there that tells me he can do the other. I hope like hell Im wrong. The way I see it, the hire is one of desperation. I mean, where else in the last few years has his name been rumored as a candidate? Who has targeted him?

The whole thing, to me, reeks of us trying to go cheap and getting turned down left and right.

Change my mind.

Cowbell
01-08-2020, 08:37 AM
I'm in the same boat. I just don't see it. The big money boosters I know will not be happy with him from what I know.

defiantdog
01-08-2020, 08:38 AM
He's a great offensive coach. The falcons were good his first year then not so good his second year (and not so good this year - May just be personnel issue with them)..... he's no Grantham when it comes to discipline of a football team either..... also, he's not a bad recruiter but doesn't like recruiting. I've been told this several times by folks at Bama.

It's a good hire because he is a good coach..... we need some really good recruiters to support him...... I really liked Napier because he has a really good supporting cast..... I'm not sure who Sarkisian will bring with him.

Spiderman
01-08-2020, 08:39 AM
A lot of folks saying it would be a great hire, I'm not sure I see it like that so somebody sell me on it.

Here's what I see:

Bama OC = good results but the thing was already built and he had structure there, so I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

We need discipline, a competent offense, maintain our defense. Can Sark do that? Outside of offense, there's not a lot there that tells me he can do the other. I hope like hell Im wrong. The way I see it, the hire is one of desperation. I mean, where else in the last few years has his name been rumored as a candidate? Who has targeted him?

The whole thing, to me, reeks of us trying to go cheap and getting turned down left and right.

Change my mind.

I can't. I can only agree with you and add that any OC with that OL,those RB's, 3-4 first round WR's, and Tua at QB is gonna look good.

Then lose 2 games with all that talent.

Scared_Hitless
01-08-2020, 08:39 AM
Of all the hires I could get behind this is towards the bottom of the list. 0 excitement about this hire.

I would rather have Hud than Sark. Hell give me Grantham, at least with him we would be tougher than cheap meat. This hire does nothing for me.

BeastMan
01-08-2020, 08:45 AM
4-23 vs top 25. His metrics aren’t great if you ask guys like Jake Wimberly or Dave Bartoo. I’m not real excited about this. All that said, it’s better than Moorehead but so is 2-day our cat puke on Bourbon street.

PMDawg
01-08-2020, 08:46 AM

Change my mind.

I can't. He was basically a 7-6 guy at Washington. Now look at what Peterson is doing there. I can't even see that stop as anything above "meh".

Dawgology
01-08-2020, 08:47 AM

Here's what I see:

Change my mind.

Yep. It has been Cohen'd. Larry Templeton 2.0.

StateDawg44

Here's what I see:

Change my mind.

I just had this exact convo with my boss and brought up every single one of your points almost exactly.

Pac-12 success... meh. USC nothing crazy other than a big stain on his career. ATL blunder but I'll give him a pass because sometimes the NFL and college guys just don't pan out (See Saban). And if you can't produce with the arsenal that Bama has (and we don't) you shouldn't be coaching any where.

I'm not looking for a sexy hire because we don't require that. He'd have my support because ultimately I root for MSU. But I would have to buy in and would be cautiously optimistic going into this next season.

That's better than how I would feel going in if we had kept Moorhead, but the only reason why is I knew the answer to my questions with why Moorhead wasn't the guy.

bluelightstar
4-23 vs top 25. His metrics aren’t great if you ask guys like Jake Wimberly or Dave Bartoo. I’m not real excited about this. All that said, it’s better than Moorehead but so is 2-day our cat puke on Bourbon street.

Where is this stat from? The only article I see had him 11-20 against the Top 25 before his 2nd year at USC.

ETA: That can't be right if you're using traditional Top 25 stats. On a quick search, he beat No. 3 USC, No. 19 California in 2009; No. 18 USC, No. 18 Nebraska and No. 24 Oregon State in 2010; No. 7 Oregon State and No. 8 Stanford in 2012; No. 13 Boise State in 2013, all while at UDub.

CovertDawg
01-08-2020, 08:49 AM
I can't. He was basically a 7-6 guy at Washington. Now look at what Peterson is doing there. I can't even see that stop as anything above "meh".

You do realize Wasington was 0-12 the year before he got there. He does not get the USC job unless he does well at Washington turning them around.

msstate7
01-08-2020, 08:50 AM
I can't. I can only agree with you and add that any OC with that OL,those RB's, 3-4 first round WR's, and Tua at QB is gonna look good.

Scored 41 against LSU and 45 vs auburn with backup qb. You blaming him for those losses?

MrKotter
01-08-2020, 08:52 AM
It's not Moorhead

drummerdawg
01-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Same here. I've lost any excitement I had for football. None of these rumored candidates excite me at all.

deadheaddawg
01-08-2020, 08:54 AM

lol.

You are blaming the 2 loses on the offense?

You clearly have not done a bit of research and are complaining just to complain

Coursesuper
01-08-2020, 08:55 AM
The problem is to many are looking for a reason to " get on board " and are letting themselves be influenced by the fan media. Just let this thing play out and then make up your own mind by what the results dictate.

TrapGame
01-08-2020, 08:55 AM
I'd rather have Hud than Sark. Cohen once again trying to prove he's the smartest guy in the room.

Mjoelner34
01-08-2020, 08:56 AM
My excitement with this potential hire rests solely on the fact that Shitshow Joe is gone.

Spiderman
Scored 41 against LSU and 45 vs auburn with backup qb. You blaming him for those losses?

No, but I'm saying anyone could put up great stats with that talent. He would never have 25% of tha talent on offense at State.

And if he tries to run that same pro style, heavy RPO system here, it will be Moorhead 2.0

StateDawg44
Same here. I've lost any excitement I had for football. None of these rumored candidates excite me at all.

Who would excite you? Not saying you are missing out or anything.

I'm just curious who you think we could/should pluck right now.

Tbonewannabe
01-08-2020, 08:57 AM
He did well at Washington, well enough to get the USC job which is a blue blood at the time. He was fired due to his alcohol problems. He was respected enough to get a NFL OC job and did well for the first year. Of the two losses this year, offense wasn't a big problem, especially against AU.

I am not in love with the hire but it is better than Moorhead. I honestly would prefer Hud but I wouldn't hate the hire. I would definitely be in wait and see mode. I prefer him over some of the other names like Leach just because I think he would fit in the SEC better since he has experience already. Leach was at UK but not sure his offense would translate well to MSU and the SEC right now.

PGHBulldogBG
01-08-2020, 09:01 AM
The fact we are thinking of hiring someone like him over Hud is asinine. I don’t see this as a good cultural fit at all. I still don’t understand when we have a great football coach who wants to be here and would stay as long as he wants. Cohen said he wanted a guy that loves Mississippi State. Besides Joe Judge I am not sold any of these candidates do.

StateDawg44
01-08-2020, 09:01 AM
We don't have a QB that can throw the ball like Mike Leach's offense needs.

Tbonewannabe
01-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Who would excite you? Not saying you are missing out or anything.

I'm just curious who you think we could/should pluck right now.

At this point, I would be interested in:

Blake Anderson
Calhoun
Hud
Monken
Sark
Grantham
Leach

In that order, however I could be sold on someone else depending on the staff they bring with them. Right now, I would say UM has hired a better coaching staff than we might end up with, although I wouldn't want Durkin around our program.

Spiderman
01-08-2020, 09:02 AM
lol.

You are blaming the 2 loses on the offense?

You clearly have not done a bit of research and are complaining just to complain

no, I should have made that plainer. They lost 2 games with that offense being so good. That offense will NEVER be any where close to that at State. That offense was good because of the talent, and they still lost 2 games.

Anybody expecting him to run those plays here and it work like that are nuts.

HancockCountyDog
01-08-2020, 09:03 AM

I?m not sure how much credit he gets since that backup QB was a five star RS sophomore and he was throwing to the greatest Wr corps in the history of college football. Along with an NFL Rb and mostly NFL OL.

Look he may be great, but giving him credit for Bama offensive success is somewhat tough for me, the talent difference was just stunning. Waddle May be the fastest player I?ve ever seen on a football field, and he didn?t start for Bama.

There will be quite an adjustment at that position for him.

Spiderman
01-08-2020, 09:07 AM
We don't have a QB that can throw the ball like Mike Leach's offense needs.

Actually Leach mainly only requires his QB's be accurate. He has had some great ones who probably wouldn't have signed or started for many other teams. Research Heupel and see why Oklahoma was the only school other than Utah State to recruit him.

msstate7
01-08-2020, 09:07 AM
I?m not sure how much credit he gets since that backup QB was a five star RS sophomore and he was throwing to the greatest Wr corps in the history of college football. Along with an NFL Rb and mostly NFL OL.

Look he may be great, but giving him credit for Bama offensive success is somewhat tough for me, the talent difference was just stunning. Waddle May be the fastest player I?ve ever seen on a football field, and he didn?t start for Bama.

There will be quite an adjustment at that position for him.

Mac jones was a 3-star

ETA... I didn't give sark any credit for Bama offense. I just asked how sark was to blame for bama's losses

StateDawg44
01-08-2020, 09:09 AM
no, I should have made that plainer. They lost 2 games with that offense being so good. That offense will NEVER be any where close to that at State. That offense was good because of the talent, and they still lost 2 games.

Anybody expecting him to run those plays here and it work like that are nuts.

Just leave off the "and still lost 2 games" and you are right. Why do you keep mentioning the losses. Everyone knows the defense was the problem at Bama this year. Just like everyone knows Bama out talents the vast majority of the country. Not just MSU.

What's your point? No one is expecting the same exact results.

StateDawg44
01-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Actually Leach mainly only requires his QB's be accurate. He has had some great ones who probably wouldn't have signed or started for many other teams. Research Heupel and see why Oklahoma was the only school other than Utah State to recruit him.

Uhhhhh that's exactly why I posted that.

While a lot of our drops are on the WR's no doubt. We don't have the most accurate passers either.

Lord McBuckethead
01-08-2020, 09:11 AM
The problem is to many are looking for a reason to " get on board " and are letting themselves be influenced by the fan media. Just let this thing play out and then make up your own mind by what the results dictate.

Exactly. Why do we all feel like we need to be "on board" with the coach. Guess what guys, no matter who the coach is, some wouldn't be on board. I am on board with MSU. Forget the coach, forget the AD, forget everything else. I am on board with MSU. I will support every coach, player, assistant, etc until they leave or get fired, regardless. I would argue that no matter who we hire, if we do not double his salary per year for assistants and analyst, we might as well hang it up. Bama has like 15 off the field analyst made up of former head coaches and coordinators. They help with game planning every aspect of the game and recruiting. Can't compete with that, unless you are ready to go 5 million for the HC at least 5 million per year for everyone else. Either we are in it to win it, or we should just hire whomever the media says and be happy with our 6-6.

BulldogDX55
01-08-2020, 09:22 AM
He was a QB in college, QB coach on the legendary 2004 USC staff, and QB coach for a Raiders team that threw for 4K yards, so QB development should be good.

He took Washington from a dumpster fire that won 11 games in 5 seasons to a team that averaged 7.5 wins per season. That's taking a product worse than what Croom gave Mullen and emerging with about the same results.

He did the best a first year USC coach has ever done before his alcoholism caught up with him. People who say "he only went 9-3 at USC so what!!!" don't know what they're talking about.

After a year in the wilderness as an analyst (under Saban though), his Atlanta offense didn't do great, but many believe that he was just the scapegoat for an awful Dan Quinn.

He's been tearing it up under Saban- which isn't exactly hard with those athletes- but he's statistically better than Kiffin was under the same circumstances, and before he left Saban to become the Falcons OC (but before coming back) he is the one who found Tua.

He runs a multiple and varied spread offense so I expect he will be able to adapt it to our offensive personnel.

He has connections across the country, so I expect him to put a strong staff together.

His second recruiting class at USC was stronger than any Kiffin class and second in the nation overall. His first Washington class was BAD (coming off 0-12 season) but were all top 25 after that.

He's had three years under Saban to at least watch how a top flight program is run

He's still only 45 years old and is chomping at the bit for another chance.

This could be a fantastic under the radar hire. Also, it will make the egg bowl extra spicy.

hacker
01-08-2020, 09:30 AM
He was a QB in college, QB coach on the legendary 2004 USC staff, and QB coach for a Raiders team that threw for 4K yards, so QB development should be good.

He took Washington from a dumpster fire that won 11 games in 5 seasons to a team that averaged 7.5 wins per season. That's taking a product worse than what Croom gave Mullen and emerging with about the same results.

He did the best a first year USC coach has ever done before his alcoholism caught up with him. People who say "he only went 9-3 at USC so what!!!" don't know what they're talking about.

After a year in the wilderness as an analyst (under Saban though), his Atlanta offense didn't do great, but many believe that he was just the scapegoat for an awful Dan Quinn.

He's been tearing it up under Saban- which isn't exactly hard with those athletes- but he's statistically better than Kiffin was under the same circumstances, and before he left Saban to become the Falcons OC (but before coming back) he is the one who found Tua.

He runs a multiple and varied spread offense so I expect he will be able to adapt it to our offensive personnel.

He has connections across the country, so I expect him to put a strong staff together.

His second recruiting class at USC was stronger than any Kiffin class and second in the nation overall. His first Washington class was BAD (coming off 0-12 season) but were all top 25 after that.

He's had three years under Saban to at least watch how a top flight program is run

This could be a fantastic under the radar hire. Also, it will make the egg bowl extra spicy.

Why did you leave off the last line?

Coursesuper
01-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Hey! Everyone! The spread is not an offense it an alignment. There are multiple offensive philosophies run from this formation. That is all.

TrapGame
01-08-2020, 09:31 AM

This is probably the best post on this hire I've seen so far. It gives me some hope.

hacker
01-08-2020, 09:37 AM
This is probably the best post on this hire I've seen so far. It gives me some hope.

It's a slightly changed copy/paste from SPS, but I agree. He also left off:

It's gross how many of you are dumping on his sobriety issues. He's been clean for about five years now.

PS: reiterating again that those making fun of his past issues with alcohol are a bunch of assholes

PMDawg
01-08-2020, 09:39 AM

Agree. But my biggest concerns are coeds and alcohol.

Tbonewannabe
01-08-2020, 09:44 AM
Just leave off the "and still lost 2 games" and you are right. Why do you keep mentioning the losses. Everyone knows the defense was the problem at Bama this year. Just like everyone knows Bama out talents the vast majority of the country. Not just MSU.

What's your point? No one is expecting the same exact results.

They held our prolific offense to 7 points.*****

PMDawg
01-08-2020, 09:45 AM

It's gross how many of you are dumping on his sobriety issues. He's been clean for about five years now.

PS: reiterating again that those making fun of his past issues with alcohol are a bunch of assholes

I'm neither "dumping on" nor making light of his issues. You say past issues, but addiction is a disease that you can't cure. You manage it. Every. single. day. For the rest of your life. Yes, he seems to have been clean for a long time, and that's great. But it IS a fair concern. He may manage it for the rest of his life, and I hope he does, whether he comes here or not. But it will never be gone.

StateDawg44
01-08-2020, 09:46 AM
Agree. But my biggest concerns are coeds and alcohol.

Du wut? Where is this coming from and what are you even implying?

defiantdog
01-08-2020, 09:47 AM

Most people making fun of his past issues with alcohol are hypocrites..... I know better..... I'm okay with my drinking

Sienfield
Maybe Cohen is looking for someone with a similar career as Kiffen but with an alcohol problem added in.

Randolph Dupree

Great post! Have some rep

Jack Lambert
4-23 vs top 25. His metrics aren?t great if you ask guys like Jake Wimberly or Dave Bartoo. I?m not real excited about this. All that said, it?s better than Moorehead but so is 2-day our cat puke on Bourbon street.

You are basing your opinion on what those two guys say?

MedDawg
Sark has head coaching experience at better programs than MSU and after being Saban's offensive analyst was OC for the Falcons then OC for Nick Saban. So coaching and recruiting experience at 3 big time programs, including Bama. Saban doesn't hire just anyone to be his OC. Sark has a lot more experience than anyone on our list or of AFAIK any hire this offseason, and he's only 45 years old.

Whether he is a fit for State or not, I don't know, but he was a fit for Saban. Twice.

hacker
01-08-2020, 09:50 AM
I'm neither "dumping on" nor making light of his issues. You say past issues, but addiction is a disease that you can't cure. You manage it. Every. single. day. For the rest of your life. Yes, he seems to have been clean for a long time, and that's great. But it IS a fair concern. He may manage it for the rest of his life, and I hope he does, whether he comes here or not. But it will never be gone.

First of all, I was just pasting the rest of the post BulldogDX55 copied from SPS.

That said, I agree. I'm personally familiar with the issue, actually. Coming up on 3 years clean. I'm glad I wasn't judged for my problem and I was able to continue my career. I feel like I'm even better at it now.

fader2103
01-08-2020, 09:52 AM
He's a great offensive coach. The falcons were good his first year then not so good his second year (and not so good this year - May just be personnel issue with them)..... he's no Grantham when it comes to discipline of a football team either..... also, he's not a bad recruiter but doesn't like recruiting. I've been told this several times by folks at Bama.

It's a good hire because he is a good coach..... we need some really good recruiters to support him...... I really liked Napier because he has a really good supporting cast..... I'm not sure who Sarkisian will bring with him.

Actually the offense was better in 2018 than in 2017 for the falcons.

Total Yards- 5837 / 364.8
Passing - 3990/ 249.4
Rushing - 1847/115
Points-353/22.1

Total Yards- 6226/389
Passing- 4653/290
Rushing- 1573/98
Points- 414/25.9

msstate7
01-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Bartoo loved Moorhead

yjnkdawg
01-08-2020, 09:54 AM

Great point. He had a lot of stress and others issues going on in his life back then when all that came about. Saban would have never hired him if he thought it was an issue or would be a recurring one. People make mistakes in life, other than some posters on message boards it seems. I bet some will keep on harping on this, when it should be a moot point, but some like to talk about the negative things about our athletic programs but this should not be in the discussion.

PMDawg
01-08-2020, 09:59 AM
First of all, I was just pasting the rest of the post BulldogDX55 copied from SPS.

That said, I agree. I'm personally familiar with the issue, actually. Coming up on 3 years clean. I'm glad I wasn't judged for my problem and I was able to continue my career. I feel like I'm even better at it now.

Congrats.

I have watched my best friend deal with it for almost 10 years. It is crushing to watch, and it has not turned out well for him.

fader2103
01-08-2020, 10:00 AM
Also he is a great recruiter. Bryce Young Alabama's star recruit this class has gone on record and said that he is at Bama because of Sark. I am not saying this is a transfer type guy but He can get top talent.

TrapGame
01-08-2020, 10:01 AM
Bartoo loved Moorhead

Bartoo is the kind of guy that looks in the mirror every morning and says "I'd **** me."

RiverCityDawg
01-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Bartoo loved Moorhead

That's pretty much case closed. Bartoo comes up with hard and fast conclusions on very complicated issues with so many human variables based on an analytical formula using mostly subjective data.

Analytics are great, but they're garbage in garbage out, and I just don't think what he's trying to do uses objective enough data to be reliable in any way.

hacker
01-08-2020, 10:02 AM
Great point. He had a lot of stress and others issues going on in his life back then when all that came about. Saban would have never hired him if he thought it was an issue or would be a recurring one. People make mistakes in life, other than some posters on message boards it seems. I bet some will keep on harping on this, when it should be a moot point, but some like to talk about the negative things about our athletic programs but this should not be in the discussion.

Since you apparently copied and pasted I'm more curious to know why you left those off too?

Just to be clear, this was the whole post on SPS. In my original reply, I was wondering why BulldogDX55 left off the sobriety stuff because it's important.

He took Washington from a dumpster fire that won 6 games in 5 seasons to a team that averaged 7.5 wins per season.

He did the best a first year USC coach has ever done before his alcoholism caught up with him.

After a year in the wilderness, his Atlanta offense didn't do great, but many believe that he was just the scapegoat for an awful Dan Quinn.

No, he doesn't exclusively run pro style. Have you people not watched a single Bama game this year?

His first recruiting class at USC was stronger than any Kiffin class

He was a QB in college, so I'd assume he knows a thing or two about the position.

He might not have been your first choice, but this is still a great hire and anyone who is already shitting on this decision doesn't know anything about the guy.

BulldogDX55
01-08-2020, 10:07 AM

Oh hey, I wrote that post on SPS, I just have different user names.

I reposted it in a few different places and made slight edits depending on the audience. I think I left that line off here because I didn't see anything attacking his alcoholism in this thread though I absolutely stand by that statement.

yjnkdawg
01-08-2020, 10:10 AM
Maybe Cohen is looking for someone with a similar career as Kiffen but with an alcohol problem added in.

We definitely need more posters like you on ED.****

BulldogDX55
01-08-2020, 10:12 AM
Just to be clear, this was the whole post on SPS. In my original reply, I was wondering why BulldogDX55 left off the sobriety stuff because it's important

That was me. See my above reply to hacker

yjnkdawg
01-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Delete

yjnkdawg
01-08-2020, 10:26 AM
Just to be clear, this was the whole post on SPS. In my original reply, I was wondering why BulldogDX55 left off the sobriety stuff because it's important.

He took Washington from a dumpster fire that won 6 games in 5 seasons to a team that averaged 7.5 wins per season.

He did the best a first year USC coach has ever done before his alcoholism caught up with him.

After a year in the wilderness, his Atlanta offense didn't do great, but many believe that he was just the scapegoat for an awful Dan Quinn.

No, he doesn't exclusively run pro style. Have you people not watched a single Bama game this year?

His first recruiting class at USC was stronger than any Kiffin class

He was a QB in college, so I'd assume he knows a thing or two about the position.

He might not have been your first choice, but this is still a great hire and anyone who is already shitting on this decision doesn't know anything about the guy.

That last sentence wasn't in reference to your post. I saw where he had responded to you and then I deleted my last sentence.