PDA

View Full Version : How does Sarkisian...

CadaverDawg
01-07-2020, 11:52 PM
get an interview, but not Hudspeth? I'd be far more excited about Hudspeth than Sarkisian. Sark runs a pro style offense that simply isn't going to be a good fit. This is an Ole Miss style hire where we are going with a name people know rather than a guy that fits our program.

I'll support him and give him a chance, but I'd be willing to bet If it's Sarkisian, He and Cohen will be fired together 3 years from now

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Looks to me like Cohen is bound and determined to bring MSU into the 21st century throwing the football.

Sark did a good job at Washington though. If he repeats that or improves it, this hire will work out fine.

defiantdog
01-07-2020, 11:55 PM
he’ll have to adjust..... but he’ll leave if a bigger name calls

Jack Lambert
01-07-2020, 11:56 PM
There could someone with authority at the school who does not like Hudspeth. I am just saying there might be more to it. Heck it might be Cohen just don't like him. It might be Cohen does like him as a friend and it would be hard to fire him if he had to. You never know.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2020, 11:56 PM
Right there with ya bro. I don’t get it if it’s true. You have got to at least interview Hud before you hire Sark.

DownwardDawg
01-07-2020, 11:57 PM
Right there with ya bro. I don?t get it if it?s true. You have got to at least interview Hud before you hire Sark.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2020, 11:57 PM
he’ll have to adjust..... but he’ll leave if a bigger name calls

And with Gettlemen likely getting fired in NY soon, we can just then go hire Judge. Judge won't last 3 years in NY IMO because his GM is getting fired

Captain Falcon
01-08-2020, 12:05 AM
Because Sark’s resume blows Hud’s out of the water?

Hud has head coaching experience at North Alabama, Louisiana-Lafayette, and Austin Peay. Sark has head coaching experience at Washington and Southern Cal.

There is no comparison. Sark is much more qualified to be our coach.

deadheaddawg
01-08-2020, 12:10 AM
I just can't understand why anyone could look at Sark and Hud and want Hud.

The seperation between the 2 for me is pretty wide

JPdog
01-08-2020, 12:10 AM
I keep seeing that Sarkisian runs a “pro-style offense.” Those of you saying that either don’t know what that means or haven’t watched Bama this year. They’re in the shotgun almost every play (most of the times they go under center are short yardage situations or goal line, which I like better anyway) and they almost always have 3 receivers on the field. They’re running a spread offense. There may be some pro elements thrown in, but I for one am ok with whatever they’re running.

NCDawg
01-08-2020, 12:18 AM
I just can't understand why anyone could look at Sark and Hud and want Hud.

The seperation between the 2 for me is pretty wide

But can he recruit as well as Hud? You're not going to win if you can't recruit. I venture to say Hud knows the area and people in this area much better than Sarkisian.

Todd4State
01-08-2020, 12:21 AM
And you know who else runs Bama's offense? Billy Napier.

The difference is Sark had at least four 1-2nd round pick WR's and a first round QB although I think he's overrated and injury prone while ULL had three all Sun Belt caliber running backs.

That said, I don't see how Sarkisian AND Todd Grantham get interviews and Hud doesn't.

Sarkisian is a retread- but the last two of those we hired worked out OK- Jackie Sherrill and Emory Bellard. I'm curious to see what his staff looks like. Most of his staff at USC and Washington were West Coast guys as in they were from there- not the offense.

He did have Tee Martin as his OC but I'm not sure he would leave Tennessee to come here. Also of note- Chris Wilson and Peter Sirmon were both on his staff at one point in time as position coaches.

That could be one reason why Cohen likes him- he may be able to influence his staff some. See Aaron Feld.

ejdallas322
01-08-2020, 12:23 AM
But can he recruit as well as Hud? You're not going to win if you can't recruit. I venture to say Hud knows the area and people in this area much better than Sarkisian.

Sark is pretty much an A+ recruiter in just about every area of this country

deadheaddawg
01-08-2020, 12:25 AM

His recruiting resume at USC and Washington is outstanding. Recruiting should not be a concern.

Not being from the area doesn't bother me. everyone will admit moorhead actually did well recruiting. He had less time around here than Sark.

Moorhead proved you don't have to be connected to Mississippi to recruit. Hell moorhead proved you don't have to be a good football coach to recruit.

You just need to be a recruiter. Sark is a recruiter

Todd4State
01-08-2020, 12:25 AM

That's the million dollar question. Keeping Tony Hughes and maybe putting Brad Peterson on the field as well as retaining T-Buck are paramount. That and hiring elite coordinators. FWIW when Sarkisian was a head coach he always had his own OC. Not sure how much play calling he did as a head coach. His DC was Justin Wilcox who was very good but of course is not coming here since he is the HC at Cal.

Todd4State
01-08-2020, 12:26 AM
His recruiting resume at USC and Washington is outstanding. Recruiting should not be a concern.

Not being from the area doesn't bother me. everyone will admit moorhead actually did well recruiting. He had less time around here than Sark.

Moorhead proved you don't have to be connected to Mississippi to recruit. Hell moorhead proved you don't have to be a good football coach to recruit.

You just need to be a recruiter. Sark is a recruiter

Plus he has been in Alabama the past few years when he wasn't with the Falcons. It's not like the South is a foreign country to him.

deadheaddawg
01-08-2020, 12:28 AM
Sark might be the best recruiter of all the candidates.

If people want to find something to complain about with him it should be something else

msstate7
01-08-2020, 12:28 AM
And with Gettlemen likely getting fired in NY soon, we can just then go hire Judge. Judge won't last 3 years in NY IMO because his GM is getting fired

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They have a nice young qb with a super talented rb, and will have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds with the #4 overall. I think they're a team to watch bc of Barkley and Jones

BeardoMSU
01-08-2020, 12:30 AM
I actually think Sark can be a good hire. His staff will obviously be key, but Saban doesn't hire scrubs, and he's been a HC at good and great schools. As long as he's got his life under control, I think he'll have a chip on his shoulder to prove something. And if he jumps ship in a few years, great....that means he did well and we're in a good spot to hire a replacement.

Really Clark?
01-08-2020, 12:32 AM
Sark is pretty much an A+ recruiter in just about every area of this country

His staff at UW and USC recruited well. He doesn’t like recruiting though and not an A+ recruiter. But smart enough to make sure he had some great recruiters on his staff.

Bothrops
01-08-2020, 01:20 AM
We could do a hell of a lot worse than Steve Sarkisian. This hire would completely save face, considering the way this search started off.

Lumpy Chucklelips
01-08-2020, 01:43 AM
I don't think we're hiring Hud because of TutorGate, being on probation currently, and his being "close" to the situation at ULL. I know he wasn't named or implicated, but you know Bracky. Now John, we just don't want to take that chance, now do we? No, Mr. Bracky. You're right, as always.

BHildreth3
01-08-2020, 01:46 AM
Hey sorry I didn?t see the previous post until after posting but Lumpy said it before me...

Guys the reason HUD isn?t a candidate is because we are on probation. It sucks but Saunders screwed us. If Hud was clean he would be our HC at this point I think.

Spiderman
01-08-2020, 04:16 AM
I keep seeing that Sarkisian runs a ?pro-style offense.? Those of you saying that either don?t know what that means or haven?t watched Bama this year. They?re in the shotgun almost every play (most of the times they go under center are short yardage situations or goal line, which I like better anyway) and they almost always have 3 receivers on the field. They?re running a spread offense. There may be some pro elements thrown in, but I for one am ok with whatever they?re running.

FOR THE LAST TIME ......THE SPREAD IS A FORMATION NOT A SYSTEM!!!!!

Moorhead lined up in the "spread" he ran a West Coast based system ie a "pro style" system. Leach lines up in it, runs the Air Raid system. Ga Southern lines up in it, runs the Triple Option.

Sark lines up in it and runs his system which is a form of a "pro style" system. Which requires WRs, QB's and OL like Bama has.

State can't and never will recruit players to make that work consistently.

Would Sark change and adapt? Who knows, but he never has yet.

Spiderman
01-08-2020, 04:19 AM
We could do a hell of a lot worse than Steve Sarkisian. This hire would completely save face, considering the way this search started off.

Sad state of affairs hiring a recovering alcoholic, when your program already has discipline issues, is "saving face"

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2020, 06:39 AM

Sark can expand the recruiting area more than Hud ever dreamed. With the new SEC money, there's no reason we can't recruit more national

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2020, 06:43 AM
And you know who else runs Bama's offense? Billy Napier.

The difference is Sark had at least four 1-2nd round pick WR's and a first round QB although I think he's overrated and injury prone while ULL had three all Sun Belt caliber running backs.

That said, I don't see how Sarkisian AND Todd Grantham get interviews and Hud doesn't.

Sarkisian is a retread- but the last two of those we hired worked out OK- Jackie Sherrill and Emory Bellard. I'm curious to see what his staff looks like. Most of his staff at USC and Washington were West Coast guys as in they were from there- not the offense.

He did have Tee Martin as his OC but I'm not sure he would leave Tennessee to come here. Also of note- Chris Wilson and Peter Sirmon were both on his staff at one point in time as position coaches.

That could be one reason why Cohen likes him- he may be able to influence his staff some. See Aaron Feld.

Sark is a retread but not for losing. Sark only had 1 losing season and thats was his first year at Washington coming off 0-12 and he won 5 which is legit improvement

Sark is only a retread due to personal issues. Big difference

msudawg1200
01-08-2020, 06:50 AM
Sark is a retread but not for losing. Sark only had 1 losing season and thats was his first year at Washington coming off 0-12 and he won 5 which is legit improvement

Sark is only a retread due to personal issues. Big difference

True. If Sark hadn’t been a drunk his career path was trending way up.

hacker
01-08-2020, 07:02 AM

RiverCityDawg
01-08-2020, 07:05 AM
Sad state of affairs hiring a recovering alcoholic, when your program already has discipline issues, is "saving face"

Is someone (apparently) successfully fighting a past alcohol problem somehow in conflict with wanting to run a discipline football team? I don't have any personal experience with the issue, but I would say it probably takes great discipline to maintain sobriety if that is a struggle for someone.

Sure, twitter warriors will poke fun if we hire him, but by in large I don't think legitimate media types will risk looking like insensitive jerks by criticizing someone in recovery or us for hiring someone like that. Any fallout like that will blow over by the weekend and after that all that matters is whether we look improved and win.

msbulldog
01-08-2020, 07:16 AM
Sark can expand the recruiting area more than Hud ever dreamed. With the new SEC money, there's no reason we can't recruit more national

Gun that new SEC money is 3 years off.

StateDawg44
01-08-2020, 07:22 AM
Is someone (apparently) successfully fighting a past alcohol problem somehow in conflict with wanting to run a discipline football team? I don't have any personal experience with the issue, but I would say it probably takes great discipline to maintain sobriety if that is a struggle for someone.

Sure, twitter warriors will poke fun if we hire him, but by in large I don't think legitimate media types will risk looking like insensitive jerks by criticizing someone in recovery or us for hiring someone like that. Any fallout like that will blow over by the weekend and after that all that matters is whether we look improved and win.

Nah our own 'fans' will do that.

StateDawg44
01-08-2020, 07:23 AM

And we need to put that money towards awnings to boost attendance.****

ShotgunDawg
01-08-2020, 07:24 AM

May start earlier than that due to ABC paying off CBS.

However, the mere fact that it's coming allows Cohen to move money around now and allocate money differently.