PDA

View Full Version : What I'm hearing....Tuesday

Coach34
01-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Napier- unlike Mullen who interviewed 2 days before the Egg Bowl- didnt want to be bothered much before the bowl game since it was this close. He was focused on setting the school record for wins in a season. We missed our earlier window when we should have made the move. Now Baylor is in the mix- just no idea from our side how strong their interest is. Hell, it may be very little- but we dont know. So Napier is not in a rush as 2 jobs are in play. Supposedly we are talking/talked today. Close the deal Coach Cohen

Judge- We didnt offer Judge but liked him alot. He was obviously wanting to do the NFL thing 1st- and we were his fallback plan. But he was a little perturbed at how Cohen interviewed him. Micromanager was the term used. Now I understand Cohen being antzy because of how lax JoVester was- but they arent interviewing you Coach Cohen. You are interviewing them- ask them how they would handle certain situations- not how you want those situations handled.

We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO

It may take till Friday. I know we are all on edge and want this shit to happen 30 mins after we fired JoVester- but sometimes this stuff takes a little while. It doesnt mean things are going bad- just means you have to be thorough and may have to wait some on good targets. It tis what it tis

BuckyIsAB****
01-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Napier- unlike Mullen who interviewed 2 days before the Egg Bowl- didnt want to be bothered much before the bowl game since it was this close. He was focused on setting the school record for wins in a season. We missed our earlier window when we should have made the move. Now Baylor is in the mix- just no idea from our side how strong their interest is. Hell, it may be very little- but we dont know. So Napier is not in a rush as 2 jobs are in play. Supposedly we are talking/talked today. Close the deal Coach Cohen

Judge- We didnt offer Judge but liked him alot. He was obviously wanting to do the NFL thing 1st- and we were his fallback plan. But he was a little perturbed at how Cohen interviewed him. Micromanager was the term used. Now I understand Cohen being antzy because of how lax JoVester was- but they arent interviewing you Coach Cohen. You are interviewing them- ask them how they would handle certain situations- not how you want those situations handled.

It may take till Friday. I know we are all on edge and want this shit ti happen 30 mins after we fired JoVester- but sometimes this stuff takes a little while. It doesnt mean things are going bad- just means you have to be thorough and may have to wait some on good targets. It tis what it tis

A prominent JUCO coach in this state, well connected to State told me today that Judge asked for ''some things'' and Cohen turned it down so Judge took the Giants job.

Idk how true it is and Idc if anyone believes it or not but, if Judge was our target 1 over Billy Napier we need to do a better job vetting our candidates.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2020, 07:50 PM
Just get the RIGHT guy.

That's all we have to go. Doesn't matter how big a cluster 17 the search is or is not. Just get the RIGHT guy.

Throw the ego in the garbage and find the right FIT.

I think that's Napier but it may not be. Find him

nashLA
I'm not sure the ED server will make it to Friday.

Liverpooldawg
A prominent JUCO coach in this state, well connected to State told me today that Judge asked for ''some things'' and Cohen turned it down so Judge took the Giants job.

Idk how true it is and Idc if anyone believes it or not but, if Judge was our target 1 over Billy Napier we need to do a better job vetting our candidates.

When the Giants offered that one was over. It had nothing to do with what we did. We weren't going to get him when that offer came, period.

DogsofAnarchy
Sounds reasonable C34!!

Bdawg
01-07-2020, 07:51 PM
I figured the Baylor job would slow things down. Damnit. This sucks.

BuckyIsAB****
01-07-2020, 07:55 PM
Whats going to be the funniest about all of this is when we end up getting Napier and everybody flipped out and called shots for days but ended up getting who we wanted the whole time

Irondawg
01-07-2020, 07:55 PM
Unless those other things were an extra $4m per year I can’t help but wonder what we would have turned down.

I’ve always wondered how Cohen would be as the interviewer. I keep wanting to believe he’s not terrible at this stuff but there’s always a bunch of smoke that makes him look bad

Coach34
01-07-2020, 07:57 PM
A prominent JUCO coach in this state, well connected to State told me today that Judge asked for ''some things'' and Cohen turned it down so Judge took the Giants job. .

Thats 100% incorrect. Judge wanted the NFL over college if he could get it

yjnkdawg
01-07-2020, 07:57 PM

It may take till Friday. I know we are all on edge and want this shit to happen 30 mins after we fired JoVester- but sometimes this stuff takes a little while. It doesnt mean things are going bad- just means you have to be thorough and may have to wait some on good targets. It tis what it tis

Sounds like Cohen is not too versed on the correct interviewing procedure. Like you said you ask the prospective candidate things and let them respond. You may say what your goals or and what you are looking for but you don't micromanage the interview. That right there can be a turn off for a candidate and apparently it was.

Santiago
01-07-2020, 07:58 PM

Napier turned us down Saturday. At the least it was a delay tactic to see what is happening with Baylor. You may not have meant it this way, but no credit to Napier for delaying and using the bowl game as an excuse. If that was Florida, heck yes he gives them an answer before his bowl.
He may be the next Saban, and worth the wait, until he is poached in a couple years.
Thanks for the information though. Just wanted to vent frustration on this mostly.

Cowbell
01-07-2020, 07:59 PM
This is not good for our current players if it takes to Friday. I heard they were told within a week - which will be tomorrow. Should have not said a word if we did not have somebody agreed to take the job.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2020, 07:59 PM

How stupid is this JUCO coach to not realize that one side offer at most $16 mil and the other side offered $35 mil and that's probably why he didn't take it?

Nutriaitch
01-07-2020, 08:02 PM

not to change the subject, but y’all should go back to the helmets in your avatar pic.

BuckyIsAB****
01-07-2020, 08:05 PM

It very well could be untrue. This guy was a coach at State before so he could be just backing his guy. The fact remains if we offered Judge over Napier or Leach we have problems.

I like Leach. He is a proven winner. Much more proven than Judge or Napier for that matter. Not a great culture fit and I worry if he gives a shit about recruiting but he has won. And it would be fun.

I think the entire fanbase would be behind it. Besides C34

Coursesuper
I can see the micromanaging happening, that's how he runs things.

Coach34
not to change the subject, but y?all should go back to the helmets in your avatar pic.

Amen Brotha. Our current logo is hideous

Mjoelner34
not to change the subject, but y’all should go back to the helmets in your avatar pic.

That logo belongs to Nike believe it or not. We are Adidas.

Coach34
01-07-2020, 08:09 PM

The Pirate had 3 straight losing season at Washington State to begin because he had to flip the roster. You gonna accept that here while he flips ours? **** that

Turfdawg67
01-07-2020, 08:11 PM
It's 17'ing hilarious that someone says something with nothing but a "source"... someone repeats it, then another and suddenly it's the gospel. LOL.

Hambone
01-07-2020, 08:11 PM
This is not good for our current players if it takes to Friday. I heard they were told within a week - which will be tomorrow. Should have not said a word if we did not have somebody agreed to take the job.

Semantics....

Moorhead was fired last Friday. A week from Friday would be this Friday, not Wednesday.

Santiago
01-07-2020, 08:15 PM
The Pirate had 3 straight losing season at Washington State to begin because he had to flip the roster. You gonna accept that here while he flips ours? **** that

That is not why they lost those 3 years. He inherited a disaster of a team and roster. Bad culture. The 3 seasons prior to Leach getting there were : 4-8, 2-10, 1-11
Yeah, it was flipping the roster allright

Quaoarsking
01-07-2020, 08:17 PM

No, he started with 3 losing seasons because his predecessor literally won just 6 FBS games in 4 years. He had to build up the roster from nothing, not transform it from something. Even with that great challenge, he had them in a bowl and winning a DEFENSIVE STRUGGLE at USC in year 2.

Coach34
01-07-2020, 08:22 PM
That is not why they lost those 3 years. He inherited a disaster of a team and roster. Bad culture. The 3 seasons prior to Leach getting there were : 4-8, 2-10, 1-11
Yeah, it was flipping the roster allright

Yes it was flipping the roster. He had to get his type of people on it. That takes time.

And we have a bad culture now thanks to the last 2 years. We were worried about arrests of our players in the team hotel because the weed smell was so strong in the halls. Our new coach and SC coach are going to have to straighten out some shit when they get hired

Nutriaitch
01-07-2020, 08:26 PM
We are Adidas.

my condolences.

maroonmania
01-07-2020, 08:42 PM
It very well could be untrue. This guy was a coach at State before so he could be just backing his guy. The fact remains if we offered Judge over Napier or Leach we have problems.

I like Leach. He is a proven winner. Much more proven than Judge or Napier for that matter. Not a great culture fit and I worry if he gives a shit about recruiting but he has won. And it would be fun.

First, as far as I know, Leach has little to no connections in the Southeast for recruiting or getting coaches. Second, we've just been talking that we couldn't get the players (primarily WRs) needed to run the passing game JoMo wanted and now we are talking about a guy that passes about 80% of the time. Third, for those that weren't aware, Leach had the same record at WSU this year that Moorhead had with us, 6-7.

Cowbell
01-07-2020, 08:44 PM
Post more / I agree on the helmets

Cooterpoot
01-07-2020, 09:00 PM
I had a call saying Hud would be in play if we didn't work out something with Napier. Can't say I trust the person but they said the Starkville money is pushing it. Again, more rumor than substance unless someone can confirm.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-07-2020, 09:07 PM
That logo belongs to Nike believe it or not. We are Adidas.

I never understood this. Is Nike just in in love with a MSU logo from the late 90's and won't let it go? I am sure if we wanted it would could get it and use it again.

Bothrops
01-07-2020, 09:33 PM
Leach could never develop his brand of ball here. He would give up.

...Oh and **** Nike

beretta
01-07-2020, 09:50 PM
was told tonight by one of Archie's friends that Napier was his no1 and only choice to take over UM's program, but UM couldn't wait that long.....Now i really, really want Napier....i sure as hell hope it works out

coachnorm
01-07-2020, 11:55 PM
First, as far as I know, Leach has little to no connections in the Southeast for recruiting or getting coaches. Second, we've just been talking that we couldn't get the players (primarily WRs) needed to run the passing game JoMo wanted and now we are talking about a guy that passes about 80% of the time. Third, for those that weren't aware, Leach had the same record at WSU this year that Moorhead had with us, 6-7.

It did not take Herman Edwards much time to connect with the prospects at Arizona State. Herman was nowhere to be seen in Phoenix before his hiring? In other words, connections can happen quickly if the recruits are won over? Herman can compete with Los Angeles and Dallas because he is Herman Edwards with his NFL type connections at his disposal. Prospects like that kind of stuff.

Maroonthirteen
01-08-2020, 07:58 AM
I had a call saying Hud would be in play if we didn't work out something with Napier. Can't say I trust the person but they said the Starkville money is pushing it. Again, more rumor than substance unless someone can confirm.

I hope like hell your source is right.

Where can I contribute to the Starkville pool of influence?

HUD sounds ahelluva lot better than Sark or leach.

BrunswickDawg
01-08-2020, 10:15 AM

I guess that decade of coaching in the Southeast (Valdosta State & UK) and the decade in Oklahoma/Texas was just good for nothing?***

I'm not in favor of hiring the guy, but he is a nationally recognized coach who has taken two trash programs (Texas Tech & WSU) and gone 139-90. Putting together a staff and recruiting would be the least of my worries with him.

smootness
01-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Yes it was flipping the roster. He had to get his type of people on it. That takes time.

And we have a bad culture now thanks to the last 2 years. We were worried about arrests of our players in the team hotel because the weed smell was so strong in the halls. Our new coach and SC coach are going to have to straighten out some shit when they get hired

He had to get any type of people on that roster. Nobody was going into WSU and winning much more than Leach did initially, no matter who they were or what they did.

So drawing conclusions about what that would mean for his first 3 years here is asinine.

BB30
01-08-2020, 10:35 AM
He had to get any type of people on that roster. Nobody was going into WSU and winning much more than Leach did initially, no matter who they were or what they did.

So drawing conclusions about what that would mean for his first 3 years here is asinine.

I don't know if the rest of the fanbase would be willing to give him a couple of years but if the results ended up like the have at wash state I would be more than willing to give him 2 years to get things rolling as long as there were improvements in discipline and the way the program was run.

It shouldn't take as long here but it will still take some time.

I am worried that regardless of who we hire our fans won't have enough patience with him. Next year is going to be a down year regardless. Gotta give this next guy some time to get things running his way and get the new O installed and running smoothly.

StateDawg44
01-08-2020, 10:43 AM
was told tonight by one of Archie's friends that Napier was his no1 and only choice to take over UM's program, but UM couldn't wait that long.....Now i really, really want Napier....i sure as hell hope it works out

You really, really want Napier for the sole reason that Archie/OM wanted him?

If that's not exuding little brother I don't know what is.

Get a grip.

gtowndawg
01-08-2020, 10:44 AM

No wonder the players loved Moorhead.

OLJWales
01-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Please tell me our players were not smoking in their hotel rooms.

Duckdog
01-08-2020, 10:51 AM
Please tell me our players were not smoking in their hotel rooms.

Would it surprise you??? Not me

StateDawg44
01-08-2020, 11:49 AM
At least they didn't try to jump out the windows too.**

SheltonChoked
01-08-2020, 01:15 PM

So your guy thinks Judge was going to turn down a $23 million pay raise to coach at MSU vs the Giants?

BULLSHIT

It that is true, I don't want him because he makes shitty Decisions.

OSCAR
01-09-2020, 09:21 AM
Amen Brotha. Our current logo is hideous

The baseball interlocking logo in white would look so clean on a football helmet.

Katdoc12
01-09-2020, 10:29 AM

SO that's why the change of heart by Cohen. Yes the playing was awful but this makes more sense for him to actually have pulled the trigger, these shenanigans ongoing more than the "fight' everyone was pointing to.

Cohen hasn't seemed to micromanage football previously, JoMo is a prime example. It seems if he wanted to keep him but knew this off field stuff was continuing, he'd have stepped in. So the wanting to dictate to a new coach doesn't make sense to me, except for where the money is involved.

TexasDawg
01-09-2020, 01:35 PM

Good call.

gravedigger
01-09-2020, 06:05 PM

So a bump, but not to say I told you so, cause I didn't. Didn't think it was remotely possible that we'd hire Leach.

The bump is to say that inside info rarely is. From me, from anybody.

And, fwiw, the lesson I'm hoping we learned is that no coach will ever live up to many of our standards, but maybe we can enjoy things for a while.

Football might be fun again. Freaking spring game is going to be awesome. Ticket sales will go through the roof.

Hope it lasts.

deadheaddawg
01-09-2020, 06:14 PM
lol.

Good thread. Will read again

GT3F8
01-09-2020, 07:54 PM
Hey 34......We know you are a great analyzer...you may want to read this......from another thread...

Thread: The truth about the Air Raid and Leach
View First Unread
Search Thread
Rate This Thread
Display
01-09-2020, 05:46 PM #1

vCash
The truth about the Air Raid and Leach
To start off, I told you. Cohen wanted to win. Cohen made all of us eat shit especially the never Leachers. Get on board or get out.

He has more talent, more facilities, more money than anywhere he has ever coached and you really think he is not gonna win? You are being hard headed just for the sake of it.

I dont wanna hear anything about man coverage either. Leach will mesh it and screen it to death. He aint dumb. Leach is not a RPO guy. The pure air raid (which we are getting) is not gonna be RPO. Its all called and is very very dependent on the QB checking the plays at the line. It is incredibly simple. It is a pure numbers game. It has about 3 run plays, inside zone, outside zone and a wrap play. Just pulling a guard it is basically like ISO without a FB. He very rarely has used many TE/Hbacks. He has used them at UK and at TTU. But he wont go out recruiting them. He will run a lot of 2 back sets (open left, open right) Kylin and Marks together will be hell. The drop back game is also very simple. 4 verts, Y cross, Y stick, shallow cross, smash, some option routes (run and shoot type routes) and triangle reads. (Corner bubble snag) The reason it works so well is bc of its simplicity. It is going to be like going from calculus to arithmetic. We will see some perimeter game (key screens, bubble screens, tunnel screens) and that is just an extension of the run. You will see our WRs play better than they ever have. Austin Williams is a perfect Mike Leach WR. I would have loved to have seen Deddrick Thomas play for him. We have some pieces, hopefully he moves Jones to WR bc he is dynamic there and an issue at CB. Steve Spurrier Jr is a Peeler type of coach for a good comparison. He surely plans on bringing him with him. It is going to work.

His biggest emphasis, believe it or not is going to be the OL. He always has one of the best in the nation every year and most of the time they are huge. He has 1 pass protection. Vertical set. Thats it. They will slide it one way or the other if you overload one side and let the back pick up off the backside edge. He is not going to go out and recruit QBs and WRs like he is the OL. This offense is going to sell itself for WRs and QBs. We should get the best skill guys in the state every single year. He is going to go out and find the best OL and give it hell. It is a well known fact that nobody who plays offense gets an offer without him signing off on it first. He wont be hiring an OC or QB coach. He is both of those. He will be spending big money on his OL and if he can bring Steve Spurrier Jr with him to Starkville we will be rolling. He is a great recruiter. For all of you bitching about his recruiting I can understand that, but he is going to be at the easiest place he has ever had to recruit to in his coaching career. He will need to get a good staff and he will. He is a national name. He wont have to look hard to find guys to coach for him.

There is a common myth that Leach is soft or that they dont run the ball. He has had multiple thousand yard rushers and a couple of years ago they scored 24 rushing TDs in one season. Running it is easier for him than it is for Mullen bc of the box numbers and alignments he is going to get. Go watch the Texas Tech and Texas game from 2008 and they ran inside zone till the cows came home. He also plays no shit and discipline and S&C will not be an issue under Leach. Hang all of that up. I bet some of our guys transfer out and I bet we get several transfers as well. He may need to bring in a QB with him bc I personally do not expect Shrader to stay.

The QB situation is going to be interesting bc from Shrader's track record he is not a gym rat or a film junky. He is tough and a gamer but Leach wants the previous. Rogers is all of that. However, it is every QB's dream to play for Mike Leach so we wont be looking for QBs for long. I dont care if they think they are a run first guy or not, they want to throw it. Who doesn't? KT, Mayden and the others are going to get coached differently than they ever have and are going to be asked to do less than they ever have. Count the numbers and be accurate. Arm strength isnt a problem for any of them. I would put Rogers in the driver's set bc he has ran the offense and he and Gardner are very close. Dont undervalue that. He is smart and a gym rat. Loves the game. Leach also teaches the scramble drill very well. Go watch them during pass skel. There is no blown whistle till the ball hits the ground. Remember WSU was the first school to offer Will Rogers.

There is an obvious concern with defense, and I am worried about it. But yall act like he doesnt know that. He hired Grinch at WSU and he immediately got the job at blue blood Oklahoma. He is going to find a guy to run it and he is gonna let him recruit how he wants, hire who he wants and coach how he wants. No meddling of it at all. Shoop would be great with Leach. Grantham would be a grand slam. Open up the checkbook and get a guy bc Leach aint gonna mess with him.

Swing your sword fellas this is gonna be fun. For all of you never Leachers, you will be a believer before long. We needed a shot in the arm in the worst way possible and we got just that. Cohen gave you what you wanted. Get behind it or go give money to the baseball program bc Davis Wade will be back in 2020. We could win 7-8 and not be that good bc of how favorable the schedule is.
Last edited by BuckyIsAB****; 01-09-2020 at 05:49 PM.