PDA

View Full Version : How excited would you be for Troy Calhoun?

Quaoarsking
01-07-2020, 01:36 PM
On a 1-10 scale.

I'll say 8. He consistently wins. He is NOT a triple option devotee and has consistently tailored his offense to the personnel he has. Even within the triple option, Air Force passes more than the other service academies.

The concern with him would be recruiting - SEC recruiting just isn't comparable to service academy recruiting. But the guy is very disciplined and consistently beats teams with advantages over him, and the "No triple option coach!!!1" crowd isn't giving him a fair evaluation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Calhoun

msbulldog
01-07-2020, 01:39 PM

Coursesuper
01-07-2020, 01:43 PM
I am truly no longer excited about anyone anymore. 17 it. Just want to get on with it and this end.

Dawgtini
01-07-2020, 01:44 PM
I can agree on 8 maybe even 9 if the recruiting staff is hired well. I would say he is in my top 3 between Napier and Hud.

Mobile Bay
01-07-2020, 01:46 PM
No.

We have got to get somebody to instill discipline in our team. Service academy coaches don't have to do that because it's done for them by the nature of the schools.

Maroonthirteen
01-07-2020, 02:21 PM
8. Successful sitting head coach. Many years of experience at all levels. It would be a good hire.

Really Clark?
01-07-2020, 02:41 PM
No.

We have got to get somebody to instill discipline in our team. Service academy coaches don't have to do that because it's done for them by the nature of the schools.

Disagree completely. You think he doesn?t know how to instill structure, accountability, punishment because he graduated and now coaches at the Air Force Academy? Completely disagree. A lot of our discipline problems was from just a lack of accountability alone.

StarkVegasSteve
01-07-2020, 02:44 PM
4. He'd have exactly at or slightly below where Joe had us.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-07-2020, 02:49 PM
7. Clawson a 6, Grantham a 3.

Calhoun wins, knows what hes doing, and runs a right ship. But I'm not sure he can recruit, and I'm not sure he knows how to handle poor southern kids who've been told their hot shit since middle school.

Clawson I like, but man I don't know if his ceiling is higher than 8 wins here. Makes me think of Cutcliff in a lot of ways

Gratham just... I dont think he has the emotional intelligence needed to manage a team of egos. I dont think he has the IQ to see long term potential problems and fix them. And he seems like the kind of defensive guy who'd meddle with the offensive staff. He'd get our team to be physical but doesnt he hate recruiting?

Napier is a 9.5 to me. Only a saban/Urbsn here gets a 10

dawgday166
01-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Calhoun wins, knows what hes doing, and runs a right ship. But I'm not sure he can recruit, and I'm not sure he knows how to handle poor southern kids who've been told their hot shit since middle school.

I'm down with about a 7. I'm concerned some about what's quoted here plus a couple of other things that honestly, no matter who gets hired I'd be concerned with.

Cooterpoot
01-07-2020, 03:42 PM
7, Good coach but questionable fit. But we're in a bind so I'm good.

HoopsDawg
01-07-2020, 03:55 PM
I'm scare to death it's going to be Grantham so anyone other than him.

magrooder
01-07-2020, 04:21 PM
I like Calhoun better that the rest, except for Napier.

yjnkdawg
01-07-2020, 04:24 PM
7.5 - Recruiting would be my concern, but then the quality of the staff he can put together would be a factor.

preachermatt83
01-07-2020, 05:27 PM
Anybody but Clawson or Calhoun?s and I?ll take it. But Napier is our man.

ScoobaDawg
01-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Anybody but Clawson or Calhoun?s and I?ll take it. But Napier is our man.

Agree