PDA

View Full Version : What is stopping us from doing this?

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 11:38 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/tennessee-bulletproof-promo/

I see this type of production stuff from other schools in the SEC, and it makes me wonder if we are even trying. Are we trying to recruit and win football games or are we just trying to stay off probation and make money?

Simple question, that no-one on this board or in the MSU fan base can answer.

dickiedawg
10-31-2013, 11:42 PM
I saw this too. The Georgia video linked is even better. Though I don't actually think it translates to recruiting or winning games per se, it kind of makes me sick that we don't see things with this kind of quality.

engie
10-31-2013, 11:47 PM
As a fanbase, we demanded this starting in 2011.

Stricklin said our video production department is fine and has refused to budge one inch on it -- in spite of constant bitching from our side. I really don't think he can watch these promos and tell the difference between their production quality and our production quality -- and that person leading our athletics department scares the shit out of me.

dickiedawg
10-31-2013, 11:56 PM
Stricklin said our video production department is fine and has refused to budge one inch on it

Why should we settle for fine?

engie
11-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Why should we settle for fine?

We haven't. He has.

There's 20+ threads/yr bitching about our video production, I see it all over twitter @stricklinmsu, etc... I've heard him specifically asked about it on the radio, and he basically hemhaws around working on some small things, but he thinks the overall production quality is a-ok.

Want salt in the wound? We've got this guy, who is a huge MSU fan and would probably consider running our video production dept his DREAM JOB wasting away over in Scooba...

http://vimeo.com/73729547

Dawgfan77
11-01-2013, 06:12 AM
I have said this and I will continue to say this until change is made. Our biggest issue is in the Bryan building!! We made a poor hire at AD

Barking 13
11-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Engie, Cody's the man...

Bulldawg1994
11-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Something like that played before the game would get everyone fired up. I got chill bumps watching that.

messageboardsuperhero
11-01-2013, 07:44 AM
We must have either Barney Fife or Stricklin's children running our video department. Everything that comes from us is third rate, while everything from other SEC schools looks like it could make it in Hollywood.

UM can make a professional quality, award-winning 20 minute short film each week, but we can't make a single decent hype video. Pathetic.

Dawg61
11-01-2013, 08:04 AM
UM can make a professional quality, award-winning 20 minute short film each week, but we can't make a single decent hype video. Pathetic.

Yup but strangely OM doesn't have one single message board worth a shit

biscuit
11-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Something like that played before the game would get everyone fired up. I got chill bumps watching that.

That was pretty awesome.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2013, 08:07 AM
It comes down to Stricklin not demanding everything to be first-class. Stricklin is about commercials, more seats, making money, and staying off probation so we can make more money. He won't give two shits about winning games until it effects he amount of money he can make, and he won't invest in anything, video, that he doesn't see a direct return in $ by an increase in revenue.

Everything is skittles and rainbows in the Bryan Building. He walks around with a smile plastered on his face like a mask, and he doesn't address, non revenue, issues that the fan base is begging him to address.

stateskills
11-01-2013, 08:10 AM
1. Talent. The UT video was concepted, written, produced, shot and edited by some talented individuals.
2. Resources. The UT video had some insane aerial shots and was shot with really good equipment. The EMCC video utilizes a popular song (my guess is they didn't get permission to use it - is State willing to pay for that type of music usage rights?) The EMCC video is nice work with what the editor has at his disposal - but is no where near the production quality of the UT video.
3. Big moments. The UT video is powerful because it's a perfect combination of big imagery, great copy writing, perfect voiceover, and a compilation of awesome moments and a big win. It serves as a UT is back type piece - it tells a great story. I don't think imagery of us piling on Troy would have the same impact.
4. Vision. You have to have a leader that sees value in this type of investment.

We should really have our own "hard knocks" type production on campus for each team. Behind the scenes at practice, in meetings, traveling to games, in game on the sidelines and in the locker room. We could produce a new 10-minute episode each week during the season for football, basketball and baseball - it would be content that would drive subscriptions on hailstate.com, or better yet, could be exclusive to Bulldog Club members - driving membership. There's my free million dollar idea - someone send it to Scott.

BogeyGolfer
11-01-2013, 08:11 AM
That's a great video... We should do something similar

biscuit
11-01-2013, 08:16 AM
This is what makes me sick. They got this right.
http://www.olemisssports.com/allaccess/?channel_id=592

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2013, 08:17 AM
1. Talent. The UT video was concepted, written, produced, shot and edited by some talented individuals.

We have plenty of people that can do this. Just have to open the job, interview, and find them.

2. Resources. The UT video had some insane aerial shots and was shot with really good equipment. The EMCC video utilizes a popular song (my guess is they didn't get permission to use it - is State willing to pay for that type of music usage rights?) The EMCC video is nice work with what the editor has at his disposal - but is no where near the production quality of the UT video.

We have flyovers for many games. Getting an aerial shot shouldn't be a problem.

3. Big moments. The UT video is powerful because it's a perfect combination of big imagery, great copy writing, perfect voiceover, and a compilation of awesome moments and a big win. It serves as a UT is back type piece - it tells a great story. I don't think imagery of us piling on Troy would have the same impact.

Actually, most of that video was taken against UGA in a game they lost.

4. Vision. You have to have a leader that sees value in this type of investment.

Correct, but we are all about making a dime, and not about building pride. We have become the Fred's of college athletics.

We should really have our own "hard knocks" type production on campus for each team. Behind the scenes at practice, in meetings, traveling to games, in game on the sidelines and in the locker room. We could produce a new 10-minute episode each week during the season for football, basketball and baseball - it would be content that would drive subscriptions on hailstate.com, or better yet, could be exclusive to Bulldog Club members - driving membership. There's my free million dollar idea - someone send it to Scott.

CooterDavenport
11-01-2013, 08:32 AM

I lol'd.

smootness
11-01-2013, 08:47 AM
That Tennessee video is 10x better than the EMCC video. Obviously some of that has to do with resources, but it's not even close.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-01-2013, 08:56 AM

I see this type of production stuff from other schools in the SEC, and it makes me wonder if we are even trying. Are we trying to recruit and win football games or are we just trying to stay off probation and make money?

I don't know whether it's laziness or ineptitude. People are becoming more and more familiar with this sort of technology. Hell, we could probably hire a recent SCAD graduate and he/she could make videos that look like this. This is not an expensive thing to invest in but for some reason we don't give a shit.

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 09:17 AM

We created message boards.

Maroonthirteen
11-01-2013, 09:22 AM
On the SEC super highway, we are in the right hand lane with the cruise set to 55. Bracky says keep your damn seat belt on!

stateskills
11-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Hell, we could probably hire a recent SCAD graduate and he/she could make videos that look like this.

A good SCAD graduate could do better than we're currently getting - but it takes more than an editor to do really great production (like the UT video).

engie
11-01-2013, 09:43 AM
That Tennessee video is 10x better than the EMCC video. Obviously some of that has to do with resources, but it's not even close.

Wait -- you REALLY thought that EMCC was going to have a superior video production to a Tennessee production that will win awards when you clicked the link?

"Some" of that has to do with resources? Joke I'm missing?

Talent is easy as hell to identify. Sorry you were looking at is as apples to apples...

Coach34
11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Yup but strangely OM doesn't have one single public message board worth a shit

fixed it for you

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-01-2013, 10:06 AM
A good SCAD graduate could do better than we're currently getting - but it takes more than an editor to do really great production (like the UT video).

Well SCAD does not just graduate editors. Plus they graduate with mountains of debt and the job market for those jobs is so competitive you can pay them peanuts.

Is Stricklin really not open to this change at all? This is not something that would take a tremendous amount of resources. Is there nothing that the average joe fan can do about this? Can we not voice our displeasure about this other than twitter? I don't know if email is an effective method with him.

ETA: I will say that the videos with Carskadon are not bad quality though.

SnakePlissken
11-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Skip Stricklin and go straight to this Leah Beasley chick. She's the new assistant AD over marketing at State. Might get more response from her than you ever will with Stricklin.

stateskills
11-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Well SCAD does not just graduate editors. Plus they graduate with mountains of debt and the job market for those jobs is so competitive you can pay them peanuts.

I'm telling you, they are not that easy to find. If you know any good shooter, editor, motion graphics guys send them my way. Seriously. I'm looking.

smootness
11-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Wait -- you REALLY thought that EMCC was going to have a superior video production to a Tennessee production that will win awards when you clicked the link?

"Some" of that has to do with resources? Joke I'm missing?

Talent is easy as hell to identify. Sorry you were looking at is as apples to apples...

No, I know, I hear you; I just thought it was strange that we were complaining that Stricklin legitimately can't tell the difference in quality between what we do and what others do and then posted a video supporting a specific person whose video is clearly not the same quality as the one we want.

Anyway, I agree that we should have better videos, and if we're not at least trying, that's a problem.

However, it's not as easy as simply deciding we need to be better and it gets done. Tennessee's video is truly first-class, and you're not going to find a lot of people, even at other SEC schools, who can do a video that well. The video looks like it was shot with very high quality cameras, and everything costs money.

Those programs do have more resources than us. I know everyone wants everything to be top-shelf, and I do, too, but we can't have everything to the level of quality that other programs do and ignore budget.

With a budget like ours (which is obviously growing, more competitive than ever, and large relative to much of the country), we still have to pick and choose sometimes. If we want the best baseball facility in the country, for example, some other things may not get the funding we want them to have.

I think it's a good thing to be able to put high-quality videos out there to market ourselves, but it isn't absolutely crucial. It's a luxury; we may have the ability to do it, I don't know exactly where we budget all of our money, but it may be tough for us to compete in that area.

DanDority
11-01-2013, 02:49 PM
We must have either Barney Fife or Stricklin's children running our video department. Everything that comes from us is third rate, while everything from other SEC schools looks like it could make it in Hollywood.

Also, have you seen our commercial for our University, well I must admit it is better this year. Because it's animated. We don't have students wearing different shades of maroon and wearing different style khaki shorts.

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 03:05 PM
I'm telling you, they are not that easy to find. If you know any good shooter, editor, motion graphics guys send them my way. Seriously. I'm looking.

I know a great SCAD graphics guy. Not a video guy though... he wants to move back to Mississippi too.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Can't you just steal some underpaid people from a production company? I dated a couple of girls that worked for places like encylomedia in Atlanta and they were always suffering for money.

engie
11-01-2013, 03:24 PM
No, I know, I hear you; I just thought it was strange that we were complaining that Stricklin legitimately can't tell the difference in quality between what we do and what others do and then posted a video supporting a specific person whose video is clearly not the same quality as the one we want.

Anyway, I agree that we should have better videos, and if we're not at least trying, that's a problem.

However, it's not as easy as simply deciding we need to be better and it gets done. Tennessee's video is truly first-class, and you're not going to find a lot of people, even at other SEC schools, who can do a video that well. The video looks like it was shot with very high quality cameras, and everything costs money.

Those programs do have more resources than us. I know everyone wants everything to be top-shelf, and I do, too, but we can't have everything to the level of quality that other programs do and ignore budget.

With a budget like ours (which is obviously growing, more competitive than ever, and large relative to much of the country), we still have to pick and choose sometimes. If we want the best baseball facility in the country, for example, some other things may not get the funding we want them to have.

I think it's a good thing to be able to put high-quality videos out there to market ourselves, but it isn't absolutely crucial. It's a luxury; we may have the ability to do it, I don't know exactly where we budget all of our money, but it may be tough for us to compete in that area.

If Ole Miss can do it, we can do it. No need to go into hypothetical details beyond that. It's truly that simple.

geotop
11-01-2013, 03:38 PM

I'm with you on this .... that UT video is awesome !

Dawg61
11-01-2013, 04:50 PM
fixed it for you

Haha I getcha brother but I don't believe that's true. That one is still 99% MSU.

coastdoglover
11-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Scott thinks Bracky is good too. That ought to tell you something

engie
11-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Scott thinks Bracky is good too. That ought to tell you something

There is a clear pattern developing with him for sure.

Thank God someone got in his ear about the baseball stadium...

messageboardsuperhero
11-01-2013, 06:19 PM

To echo what engie said, we had way more athletic revenue than UM last year (almost $20 mil. to be exact (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/)), so if they can afford it, I certainly don't see any reason for us not to be able to pay some group of people part-time to make competent videos. And yes, I know it takes more than one person with a computer editing, but if a school who brings in $15-20 mil. less than us can get this done, then so can we. I don't think that's an unrealistic expectation.

Hell, they don't have to be Tennessee quality. Just give me something that's not a total embarrassment.

messageboardsuperhero
11-01-2013, 06:27 PM
There is a clear pattern developing with him for sure.

Thank God someone got in his ear about the baseball stadium...

Thank God is right.

I like what Stricklin is doing right now, but it took a lot of people pushing him in the right direction to get the baseball facility moving forward. It seems like someone is always having to tell him what is best. I will say though, at least he's willing to listen. I can respect that.