PDA

View Full Version : What are the top attributes a coach needs to succeed at MSU?

Irondawg
01-07-2020, 10:26 AM
After doing some thinking here are mine:

1) An almost irrational confidence in their own ability to outcoach ANYBODY

2) Some historical markers of success to indicate they aren't delusional bout the first requirement

3) When I talk to former or current co-workers I want to hear words like: demanding, detail-oriented, no-nonsense, driven, high work ethic, relentless

4) Preference on some head coaching experience but would consider coordinators that have run units for multiple years with well above average results and have been part of championship caliber teams.

5) Strong preference with some SEC experience

6) Added points for anywhere where they "punched up" and beat or were consistently competitive with teams/units with higher perceived talent levels.

7) Added points for showing they consistently took were the recruiter or coach that took lower rated recruits and developed them into above average players

Now put that up against our pool - who checks off the most boxes - especially the first 3?

smootness
01-07-2020, 10:28 AM
#1 has been considered a negative by most on this board about our last 2 coaches.

Irondawg
01-07-2020, 10:50 AM
#1 is what made Mullen successful when his head was focused on MSU.

Moorhead seemed to have that but somehow we whiffed on his ability to demand excellence from players (#3). He also wasn?t nearly as intense as I would have liked. One day I?d love to hear some hindsight thoughts from insiders on what they missed during the interview process with Moorhead or if it was a case that once he landed the big money that he relaxed and he got eaten alive

smootness
01-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Just telling you, I can't remember how many times someone posted something along the lines of, 'The guy thinks he's God's gift to football.'