PDA

View Full Version : If Judge Is the Guy, Cohen Has Some Splaining To Do

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 09:47 PM
I preface this by saying that Judge may very well be the right guy & develop into the best coach in MSU history. I don't have a clue.

However, I just don't understand John Cohen's hiring practices.

If Judge is the guy, then yet again Cohen would've hired someone that now owes him. Yet again, he would've hired someone in which he would have alpha dominance over.

I began to question Moorhead the moment he started calling Cohen "Sir".

I just don't get it. I don't get why Cohen can never find a GUY. I don't understand why Cohen can never hire someone that is more famous than himself.

It's just extremely odd but becoming a real trend that Cohen "Gives someone a shot" instead of going to get an experienced, highly successful, known quantity.

I don't know if it's ego or what, but it's extremely confusing why the hire is ALWAYS a let down whether they end up being the correct guy or not.

In the press conference, I want to hear why Judge was worth turning down experienced, successful head coaches or not ponying up for big time guys & Judge being an MSU guy isn't enough. I want to hear actual football reasons why he is the best guy for this job.

Again, just extremely confusing why all these hires turn out to be of the same type.

If Judge was the best option, maybe we didn't interview enough guys?

Was Judge worth firing Moorhead for? If so, why?

Just so many questions & now we get an experiment when the program has to be turned around immediately?

DogsofAnarchy
01-06-2020, 09:52 PM
I want to know why he chose to go with a guy with no experience as a head coach? And I will say it again, if this is our guy, I will support him. But if it turns out to be just another Joe....then Cohen has to go. That is the bottom line.

Rex54
01-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Was Judge worth firing Moorhead for?

That is one question that can be answered HELL YES

HoopsDawg
01-06-2020, 10:00 PM
Are people really going to complain about choosing Judge over Grantham, Chizik, Calhoun, Monken or Sark.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:02 PM
Are people really going to complain about choosing Judge over Grantham, Chizik, Calhoun, Monken or Sark.

I'm more complaining that those appeared to be our only options.

It's just odd that all his hires seem to be unknowns that lack SEC experience.

It's extremely odd.

Also, I want to hear the bigger picture. We haven't hired a CEO coach since Sherrill

RiverCityDawg
01-06-2020, 10:04 PM
What experienced successful head coaches did we turn down or not pony up for? Napier didn't want to come here apparently. So Calhoun? Sark? Chizik? Monken? Without knowing who all was actually willing to come here and how much we were or we're not willing to pay, I'm not just going to assume that experienced successful head coaches were in abundance for us to hire. Sounds like we made a hard run and Napier and for whatever reason at the end of the day he didn't want to come here. The other guys? Meh. If those are the choices, and there's no reason to think they weren't, I would rather gamble on the higher ceiling of Judge.

deadheaddawg
01-06-2020, 10:05 PM

I'd personally take Calhoun, but it close. I might take Sark over him.

I definitely prefer judge over Grantham, monken, and absolutely without doubt over chizik

AlSwearengen
01-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Saban and Belichek, I will defer to them. If Saban pushes Judge to Belichek and Belichek pushes him to other nfl teams as a head coach, thats more than good enough for me.

I?m pretty excited about the prospects of Judge being our HC.

ScoobaDawg
01-06-2020, 10:06 PM
So what are you gonna do.. Call John and ask him? Go to a game and ask him? Call the call in show and ask him?

Nope.
Just run down the possible new hire before it's even made.

Good ole classic Shotgun. Everything is always bad.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2020, 10:07 PM
Judge could wind up being Nick Saban 2.0, but as of TODAY, the only two positives I can see with hiring Judge is:

1) He isn't Joe Moorhead

2) He isn't Gene Chizik

That's it.

Rosebowl will have our fans believing this is some homerun hire, but it's not. I pray he turns in to a star, because this is a failed search and hire by Cohen at the surface. SEC programs aren't where you go to learn how to be a college coach. The fact that Judge is even a serious candidate for our job should have us all freaking the hell out over who is running this thing. Some of our fans could be sold on bringing back Croom, I swear it's mind numbing.

And for the love of God can we please fix this slow server. It's taking 5 minutes to open a thread.

West Tn Dawg
01-06-2020, 10:07 PM
I don't think Cohen has to explain anything to a message board hero that couldn't possibly attend any events because he has thousands of post. No way he can post that much, especially during games, to attend any.

HoopsDawg
01-06-2020, 10:12 PM
I'm more complaining that those appeared to be our only options.

It's just odd that all his hires seem to be unknowns that lack SEC experience.

It's extremely odd.

Also, I want to hear the bigger picture. We haven't hired a CEO coach since Sherrill

Arkansas hired Sam Pittman

Missouri hired the replacement to Satterfield

Ole Miss hired lane Kiffin who no one would touch.

These Power 5 coaches are well paid even at Purdue and Wake Forest.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:12 PM
So what are you gonna do.. Call John and ask him? Go to a game and ask him? Call the call in show and ask him?

Nope.
Just run down the possible new hire before it's even made.

Good ole classic Shotgun. Everything is always bad.

I said he may be the best coach we've ever had & I was even the first poster on here to recommend that we interview him.

What am I going to do? I'm going to keep posting on this site & keep coming up with ideas, good or bad, because I know the admin at MSU reads this board & my hope is that whatever is written about on this board helps to push the envelope forwards in terms of MSU's creativity & processes

R2Dawg
01-06-2020, 10:15 PM
Saban and Belichek, I will defer to them. If Saban pushes Judge to Belichek and Belichek pushes him to other nfl teams as a head coach, thats more than good enough for me.

I?m pretty excited about the prospects of Judge being our HC.

That is a pretty good reference list; hard to go against it. I don't know anything about Judge but any of those listed is an upgrade over Joe.

Coursesuper
01-06-2020, 10:15 PM
Judge could wind up being Nick Saban 2.0, but as of TODAY, the only two positives I can see with hiring Judge is:

1) He isn't Joe Moorhead

2) He isn't Gene Chizik

That's it.

Rosebowl will have our fans believing this is some homerun hire, but it's not. I pray he turns in to a star, because this is a failed search and hire by Cohen at the surface. SEC programs aren't where you go to learn how to be a college coach. The fact that Judge is even a serious candidate for our job should have us all freaking the hell out over who is running this thing. Some of our fans could be sold on bringing back Croom, I swear it's mind numbing.

And for the love of God can we please fix this slow server. It's taking 5 minutes to open a thread.

Truth Cadaver.

deadheaddawg
01-06-2020, 10:16 PM
I said he may be the best coach we've ever had & I was even the first poster on here to recommend that we interview him.

What am I going to do? I'm going to keep posting on this site & keep coming up with ideas, good or bad, because I know the admin at MSU reads this board & my hope is that whatever is written about on this board helps to push the envelope forwards in terms of MSU's creativity & processes

If our admin takes advice from this, or any, message board we need to get rid of everyone there.

Patrick Tibbons
01-06-2020, 10:17 PM
?What would you do if Belichick called you and said, "John, Joe Judge reminds me of Saban when we were together in Cleveland. You should hire this guy"

What do you do? What does Keenum do?

Not saying that happened, but it's certainly possible.

Also, non traditional powers MUST have great special teams to win big. Judge would solve that issue for sure.

Additionally, with the backing of Jackie, Judge would be able to get the entire Mississippi State family & boosters backing him.??-Shotgundawg 1/6/20

bobtail bob
01-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Unless we have something toxic inside our athletic department that nobody wants to come to MSU

Jack Lambert
01-06-2020, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;1215153]

Was Judge worth firing Moorhead for? /QUOTE]

why are you asking this? You have posted in the past "anyone but Moorhead."

state66
01-06-2020, 10:23 PM
Shit hire. Hiring a damn Special Teams coordinator.

Mjoelner34
01-06-2020, 10:25 PM
Judge may be the favorite but it cant be a done deal yet unless the Giants told him 'Thanks but no thanks." after his interview because they still have interviews tomorrow and Wednesday.

Thick
01-06-2020, 10:28 PM
Let?s just hold off judgement. I think everyone needs to look at it from a different perspective. We could hiring a guy that coached under 2 of the greatest coaches of all time. Not only was he on their staffs, but he was promoted in both staffs. So that should tell you he?s not afraid or intimidated by the big stage. He actually excelled on it. He?s also a freaking Bulldog that wants the job, wants to be here, and wants to be damn successful. This is not about winning the presser like TSUN. This is about taking our program to the next level with someone that wore the maroon and white on Saturdays. Don?t mention Felker either, bc that?s an apples and oranges comparison. We need to see who his staff will be as well. He might impress all of us with those decisions!

A friend of mine who happens to post on this board said something to me that I had never thought about until then. How many football HC have left MSU for bigger jobs? The answer is 2, Royal and Mullen. What do you think we can accomplish with a potential good coach that understands what it takes to play in this conference and win at a high level in the NFL. I guarantee you he won?t get scared to make calls to beat blue blood teams yin the 4th qtr. Plus, we might have damn good special teams and much better wrs.

HoopsDawg
01-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Plus, his wife likes Starkville. Unlike Peter Sirmons and other coaches of the past. Lol.

parabrave
01-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Sure as hell glad Tom Benson didn't listen to Shotgun when he hired that coach who had no experience except being Bill Parcels QB coach.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 10:35 PM
Anyone that believes Nick Saban recommended Joe Judge to a team in his division, who he routinely takes coaches from to keep them down, is a 17ing fool.

RougeDawg
01-06-2020, 10:36 PM
Shit hire. Hiring a damn Special Teams coordinator.

Well everyone did say we needed a new special teams coach under Sloppy Joe. Looks like we shored that need up.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 10:39 PM
Joe Moorhead is rich and laughing his ass off if Judge is the hire.

WinningIsRelentless
01-06-2020, 10:43 PM

I preface this by saying that Judge may very well be the right guy & develop into the best coach in MSU history. I don't have a clue.

However, I just don't understand John Cohen's hiring practices.

If Judge is the guy, then yet again Cohen would've hired someone that now owes him. Yet again, he would've hired someone in which he would have alpha dominance over.

I began to question Moorhead the moment he started calling Cohen "Sir".

I just don't get it. I don't get why Cohen can never find a GUY. I don't understand why Cohen can never hire someone that is more famous than himself.

It's just extremely odd but becoming a real trend that Cohen "Gives someone a shot" instead of going to get an experienced, highly successful, known quantity.

I don't know if it's ego or what, but it's extremely confusing why the hire is ALWAYS a let down whether they end up being the correct guy or not.

In the press conference, I want to hear why Judge was worth turning down experienced, successful head coaches or not ponying up for big time guys & Judge being an MSU guy isn't enough. I want to hear actual football reasons why he is the best guy for this job.

Again, just extremely confusing why all these hires turn out to be of the same type.

If Judge was the best option, maybe we didn't interview enough guys?

Was Judge worth firing Moorhead for? If so, why?

Just so many questions & now we get an experiment when the program has to be turned around immediately?

I can tell you right now how to have the AD give two craps about what Shotgun thinks. Stroke the full buyout check for JoMo and pledge part of the new hire salary. Until you do this sit back and stfu.

Hambone
01-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Agreed

yjnkdawg
01-06-2020, 10:44 PM
Hiring a new HC is a crap shoot. One coach may succeed at another school and not here and vice versa. You never know until it's reality. Now my first choice was Napier, but if he decides not to come here, then I want somebody who does. Judge and his wife both want to come back to MSU. It is really pathetic that some condemn a coach even before he has been announced or even talking about firing him a few years down the road. That sounds more like OM than the MSU I know outside of a message board. So I will support whoever is chosen and hopefully everybody else will. Oh, and Shotgun, sorry but the athletic department does not read your posts to implement more innovative ways in running MSU athletic programs.

Cowbell
01-06-2020, 10:45 PM
Well everyone did say we needed a new special teams coach under Sloppy Joe. Looks like we shored that need up.

Rouge, what happened brother? I thought you were hearing Napier? JC screw it up?

HoopsDawg
01-06-2020, 10:46 PM
Joe Moorhead is rich and laughing his ass off if Judge is the hire.

Simmer down Cooter. Let's wait until the staff is complete before we start throwing criticisms. You wouldn't have been happy with any hire we were capable of making.

defiantdog
01-06-2020, 10:50 PM
Let?s just hold off judgement. I think everyone needs to look at it from a different perspective. We could hiring a guy that coached under 2 of the greatest coaches of all time. Not only was he on their staffs, but he was promoted in both staffs. So that should tell you he?s not afraid or intimidated by the big stage. He actually excelled on it. He?s also a freaking Bulldog that wants the job, wants to be here, and wants to be damn successful. This is not about winning the presser like TSUN. This is about taking our program to the next level with someone that wore the maroon and white on Saturdays. Don?t mention Felker either, bc that?s an apples and oranges comparison. We need to see who his staff will be as well. He might impress all of us with those decisions!

A friend of mine who happens to post on this board said something to me that I had never thought about until then. How many football HC have left MSU for bigger jobs? The answer is 2, Royal and Mullen. What do you think we can accomplish with a potential good coach that understands what it takes to play in this conference and win at a high level in the NFL. I guarantee you he won?t get scared to make calls to beat blue blood teams yin the 4th qtr. Plus, we might have damn good special teams and much better wrs.
Thank you Thick..... this is the only post that has given me any confidence in Judge.

RougeDawg
01-06-2020, 10:59 PM
Rouge, what happened brother? I thought you were hearing Napier? JC screw it up?

I?ll post everything after the announcement. Was holding out because it was a fluid situation and the details are going to rub most people here the wrong way. Was hearing Napier. Things changed a good bit in the last 48-72 hours

Eta. That?s why I posted a day or two ago that Napier was an odd cat.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 11:00 PM
Simmer down Cooter. Let's wait until the staff is complete before we start throwing criticisms. You wouldn't have been happy with any hire we were capable of making.

You're wrong. I couldn't care less who he hires. It's not going to be some dream team staff. We already know half of it. The only thing left is for Judge to step off the plane. We shall see................................

maroonmania
01-06-2020, 11:01 PM
Hiring a new HC is a crap shoot. One coach may succeed at another school and not here and vice versa. You never know until it's reality. Now my first choice was Napier, but if he decides not to come here, then I want somebody who does. Judge and his wife both want to come back to MSU. It is really pathetic that some condemn a coach even before he has been announced or even talking about firing him a few years down the road. That sounds more like OM than the MSU I know outside of a message board. So I will support whoever is chosen and hopefully everybody else will. Oh, and Shotgun, sorry but the athletic department does not read your posts to implement more innovative ways in running MSU athletic programs.

I don't think anyone is condemning Judge at all. He just doesn't really have the resume to get this job right now. Very little college experience and no HC or coordinator experience. Its blind faith to believe he will definitely be successful and a HUGE roll of the dice for Cohen who apparently AGAIN could not land his top target.

Coursesuper
01-06-2020, 11:04 PM
You're wrong. I couldn't care less who he hires. It's not going to be some dream team staff. We already know half of it. The only thing left is for Judge to step off the plane. We shall see................................

Spill the half the staff please.

ZedFedder
01-06-2020, 11:04 PM
I understand it isn?t a home run hire, but at this stage in the game who could we get? I don?t get hating on the guy. Let?s see what next season holds. I believe he is going to be pretty good.

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2020, 11:05 PM
Anyone that believes Nick Saban recommended Joe Judge to a team in his division, who he routinely takes coaches from to keep them down, is a 17ing fool.

Let?s be clear, Judge was a special teams analyst for three years with Saban along with probably 25 other analysts.

I don?t knock a guy for starting somewhere, but it would be nice if he had some experience running a program.

yjnkdawg
01-06-2020, 11:07 PM

Great Post, Thick

Matt3467
01-06-2020, 11:19 PM
Out of all the names that are being thrown around for HC on the board I'd just go ahead swallow my pride and interview Freeze. Way better coach and proven than the other guys.

Homedawg
01-06-2020, 11:25 PM

What? You think saban won't promote one of his own guys if they are good? If they are bad I promise you he's not talking good about them. Period. And finally, Nick saban isn't in the least worried about Joey judge or billy Napier or urban Meyer for that matter coming to MSU and whippping his ass. Be real

confucius say
01-06-2020, 11:25 PM
Well if you are looking for positives. Dan and Saban are on record as saying the S&C coach is the most important hire a head coach makes. If judge gets us Feld, widely regarded as a top S&C guy (top 3 per C34), that is big. Probably more important than any coordinator hire.

BuckyIsAB****
01-06-2020, 11:39 PM
Out of all the names that are being thrown around for HC on the board I'd just go ahead swallow my pride and interview Freeze. Way better coach and proven than the other guys.

Cant say I disagree here. Would be a kick in the nuts but I'd rather get kicked now than later

Maverick
01-06-2020, 11:52 PM
Some of you are freaking ridiculous. Cohen doesn't owe your whinny ass anything. You think he woke up and said you know what I think I'm going to fire Moorhead today and go find the worst possible hire for MSU and risk my job and put my alma mater in the worse position I could possibly think of.

The damn guy is obviously highly respected by the best nfl coach in the last decade. He interviewed for an nfl hc job at the freaking giants but he's not good enough for Mississippi freaking State?!?! Get real....

He's seen not only the way a winning program should be ran but two championship programs and he's extremely smart. Just give the guy a chance, what do you have to lose? If he doesn't work out is it anything new? We will start over just like MSU always does....

Let's roll the freaking dice, have a little fun for once and just enjoy the dang hire and be glad JoMo is gone.

Coursesuper
01-06-2020, 11:54 PM
Some of you are freaking ridiculous. Cohen doesn't owe your whinny ass anything. You think he woke up and said you know what I think I'm going to fire Moorhead today and go find the worst possible hire for MSU and risk my job and put my alma mater in the worse position I could possibly think of.

The damn guy is obviously highly respected by the best nfl coach in the last decade. He interviewed for an nfl hc job at the freaking giants but he's not good enough for Mississippi freaking State?!?! Get real....

He's seen not only the way a winning program should be ran but two championship programs and he's extremely smart. Just give the guy a chance, what do you have to lose? If he doesn't work out is it anything new? We will start over just like MSU always does....

Let's roll the freaking dice, have a little fun for once and just enjoy the dang hire and be glad JoMo is gone.

Just the kind of reaction that the admin is hoping for here. Baaaaaaa.

Homedawg
01-06-2020, 11:55 PM
Let's be honest, and some or most won't like this, but for us to ever win and win big and sustain it,we have to find lightning in a bottle. Our league is too tough. We can win. We can go to a bowl every year, thanks Jackie/dan. But it's way easier to screw that up that keep it going.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2020, 11:57 PM

We're not fans of a D3 school. This the SEC. We shouldn't be "taking a chance", Gene.

Homedawg
01-06-2020, 11:58 PM
We're not fans of a D3 school. This the SEC. We shouldn't be "taking a chance", Gene.

I like you cav. But who would have made you happy? Honestly?

CadaverDawg
01-07-2020, 12:09 AM
I like you cav. But who would have made you happy? Honestly?

A guy that has either Head Coach or high level OC/DC experience, so not Judge. A guy that is an up and comer, not an old guy that has been a lifer at Coordinator like Grantham. A guy like Napier, but many guys fit that mold. I like Fritz and some others, but I would have even taken Hudspeth over Judge, because at least Hud has run a program or even called plays before in an actual game. I just hate hiring a guinea pig in the most competitive division in all of football. So to answer your question, Napier seems like a good fit for us, I would have been happy with Napier. But there are others.

BuckyIsAB****
01-07-2020, 12:15 AM
A guy that has either Head Coach or high level OC/DC experience, so not Judge. A guy that is an up and comer, not an old guy that has been a lifer at Coordinator like Grantham. A guy like Napier, but many guys fit that mold. I like Fritz and some others, but I would have even taken Hudspeth over Judge, because at least Hud has run a program or even called plays before in an actual game. I just hate hiring a guinea pig in the most competitive division in all of football. So to answer your question, Napier seems like a good fit for us, I would have been happy with Napier. But there are others.

Im gonna look like a total ass but word is this aint over yet apparently

Dawgtini
01-07-2020, 01:26 AM
So you're saying #TeamBert may be on the ropes but there is still hope??

MarketingBully
01-07-2020, 02:39 AM

It?s easy to say everyone sucks.

MarketingBully
01-07-2020, 02:47 AM
What? You think saban won't promote one of his own guys if they are good? If they are bad I promise you he's not talking good about them. Period. And finally, Nick saban isn't in the least worried about Joey judge or billy Napier or urban Meyer for that matter coming to MSU and whippping his ass. Be real

You could say the same for Billy Napier regarding Saban. After all Napier was fired at Clemson for having a shitty offense. CP will say anyone we hire sucks. That’s his schtick. I like the idea of hiring Judge simply because he’s a Bulldog, he’s going to have excellent special teams, he’s going to bring Feld with him, and he’s going to bring discipline with him. He’s going to be better then Moorhead ever thought about being as his floor. We have a schedule next year that Judge could win 7 or 8 games with. All of Judge’s strengths were big time Moorhead weaknesses. And Moorhead’s offense? It sucked bad. At least with Judge we will get more of a CEO coach who is going to let his OC/DC do what they want. The key with Judge is going to be his staff and if we open up the pocket book there he could be successful in the short team and be the best coach we have had long term. He has a high ceiling imo.

dawgday166
01-07-2020, 06:34 AM

Sorry Home ... Gotta agree with Cooter on this one. If Saban can hurt the competition by taking assistants from them he will. And I don't think he's gonna call Cohen and give any kind of recommendation for the job, unless it's someone he ain't concerned about. Saban don't win the number of games he does each year by being the best on field coach. He wins them by stacking the talent very deep on his roster and by his organization and process. And if he can deplete other teams resources in some manner ... he'll do that in a heartbeat.

ShotgunDawg
01-07-2020, 07:10 AM
Just a reminder that most Saban/Belichick assistants have failed as head coaches.

Stop being man worshipers