PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to say this carefully...

War Machine Dawg
01-06-2020, 08:45 PM
I like Joe Judge. He's probably my second choice after Napier, especially considering the other names we've been linked with so far. He's an MSU alum, will more than likely try to have other alumni on the coaching staff, and already played in hard nosed days and learned from two of the greatest coaches of all time.

That said, if Cohen waited an extra month to fire Moorhead and did it without an ironclad agreement in place for a G5 or P5 head coach that would unite everyone like Napier, then he needs to be on the first thing smoking out of Starkville.

Same if he 17d up the Napier deal by trying to penny pinch and pissed off Napier.

You don't wait a month to fire Moorhead to hire Judge. We could've done that after the EB. The only way you fire Moorhead now is to hire someone like Napier. Cohen is betting his job on a guy, who despite an impressive resume, has ultimately never even been a coordinator, much less a head coach.

Hopefully we're opening up the checkbook for assistants and analysts like everyone else in the SEC. And at least one of those assistants needs HC experience, imo.

This is why so many people are skeptical of Cohen. He and the Virginia Slims have 17d this situation up so badly it's absurd. We're a laughingstock right now for how this has been handled.

Commercecomet24
01-06-2020, 08:51 PM
Well said. Agree completely.

Coursesuper
01-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Agree.

MSU 1984
01-06-2020, 08:58 PM
No matter how much you love your son, no matter how well behaved he is, no matter how well he does in school or how well his teachers speak of him, you simply cannot, cannot, cannot, give your 15 year old son who?s never driven before the keys to your Ferrari. If you do, when the inevitable happens, it?s not the kid?s fault. It?s yours. In fact, it?s reckless to the point of being criminal and you?d be prosecuted for being so irresponsible.

HoopsDawg
01-06-2020, 09:01 PM
Judge probably would have finished the season with the Pats. If you like Judge, we're all good right.

maroonmania
01-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Yep, Cohen has lost me if Judge is the choice. Just sounds like Cohen, once again, trying to be the smartest guy in the room and picking somebody off the beaten path HE found for us when obviously Napier was the much more qualified, ready to deliver candidate. Plus Cohen will likely get to penny pinch again with Judge who he can get at a much lower salary. IF this is true, it MIGHT work out, but this would be a HUGE roll of the dice. Color me not impressed and if does not work out Cohen needs to just go ahead and offer his letter of resignation as AD.

Dawgtini
01-06-2020, 09:06 PM
and if it turns out it's Napier and has been all along??

Doggie_Style
01-06-2020, 09:10 PM
We all agree

Msufan49
01-06-2020, 09:16 PM
It?s hard for me to believe that Judge is just smoke until Napier bowl game is over. I will support Judge and his staff but I got to be honest, I am scratching my head A little on this. Does anyone actually believe this is the case?

TrapGame
01-06-2020, 09:24 PM
WMD, if Cohen wouldn't open up the purse for Napier he sure as hell ain't doing it for Judge.

Rick Danko
01-06-2020, 09:26 PM
Where I personally think you are wrong, is the talk of hiring Judge after the EB. Cohen had no intention IMO of firing Moorhead until it was plastered all over ESPN that our starting QB was out of the bowl game after getting decked by a starting Linebacker. And then we looked like warmed over shit on national TV and his hand was called.

War Machine Dawg
01-06-2020, 09:28 PM
and if it turns out it's Napier and has been all along??

Obviously we all recognize it's a process and hasn't reached a conclusion yet. I'm still holding out hope it is Napier and Rosie is being used. I think everyone would be ecstatic if it does end up being Napier. And I personally would give Cohen all the credit for pulling it off, even if it was messy as shit getting there.

But if it's Judge, I said what needed to be said.

TheLostDawg
It?s hard for me to believe that Judge is just smoke until Napier bowl game is over. I will support Judge and his staff but I got to be honest, I am scratching my head A little on this. Does anyone actually believe this is the case?

No clue but after all this, if it is Napier, I hope it isn't smoke about putting money into hiring good analysts, etc. I feel like that's one of the many areas we need to address if we expect to be competitive

Dawg-gone-dawgs
All Rise

Joebob
01-06-2020, 09:29 PM
Judge just makes zero sense in this situation. For him to be the guy, Cohen would have to be bat chit crazy and Bert Stare would have to be a psychopath. I?m hoping neither is true.

DogsofAnarchy
01-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Here is my new motto....If he is just another Joe...Then Cohen has to go!!

Rex54
01-06-2020, 09:41 PM
Understand that IF it indeed is Napier AND he wanted it all hush hush until ULL season ended, nothing would have played out any differently than it already has.

CoachT14
01-06-2020, 09:41 PM
Welcome back to the cellar boys. We are putting our eggs in the basket on a guy who hasn't recruited in nearly a decade, who's never coached anything but Special Teams, who's never ran a program, who has never called a play in life.

But hey, he went to MSU so 17 yeah. ****

Considering we took a large risk to hire Moorhead, and no we are making an arguably even bigger risk with Judge, I imagine we have some dark days ahead. I'll gladly eat crow if he comes in and kills it. Our athletics make it really hard to pull for us sometimes.

maroonmania
01-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Welcome back to the cellar boys. We are putting our eggs in the basket on a guy who hasn't recruited in nearly a decade, who's never coached anything but Special Teams, who's never ran a program, who has never called a play in life.

But hey, he went to MSU so 17 yeah. ****

Considering we took a large risk to hire Moorhead, and no we are making an arguably even bigger risk with Judge, I imagine we have some dark days ahead. I'll gladly eat crow if he comes in and kills it. Our athletics make it really hard to pull for us sometimes.

Even if it does end up working out its still a big time risky hire at the outset. I mean talk about a guy learning on the job. Judge has never done anything in his career close to running a big time D1 football program. Just feels like our program hasn't grown one bit. This is the same kind of hire we could have made at the end of the Jackie or Croom years. The rest of the SEC should be amused I'm sure.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
01-06-2020, 09:58 PM
I like Joe Judge. He's probably my second choice after Napier, especially considering the other names we've been linked with so far. He's an MSU alum, will more than likely try to have other alumni on the coaching staff, and already played in hard nosed days and learned from two of the greatest coaches of all time.

That said, if Cohen waited an extra month to fire Moorhead and did it without an ironclad agreement in place for a G5 or P5 head coach that would unite everyone like Napier, then he needs to be on the first thing smoking out of Starkville.

Same if he 17d up the Napier deal by trying to penny pinch and pissed off Napier.

You don't wait a month to fire Moorhead to hire Judge. We could've done that after the EB. The only way you fire Moorhead now is to hire someone like Napier. Cohen is betting his job on a guy, who despite an impressive resume, has ultimately never even been a coordinator, much less a head coach.

Hopefully we're opening up the checkbook for assistants and analysts like everyone else in the SEC. And at least one of those assistants needs HC experience, imo.

This is why so many people are skeptical of Cohen. He and the Virginia Slims have 17d this situation up so badly it's absurd. We're a laughingstock right now for.

Careful. You are going to draw the ire of Naborhoodawg..

bobtail bob
01-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Never even been a coordinator but being asked to run a SEC west program ? I don?t see it
Amateur move and reeks of panic if true

CoachT14
01-06-2020, 10:04 PM
Even if it does end up working out its still a big time risky hire at the outset. I mean talk about a guy learning on the job. Judge has never done anything in his career close to running a big time D1 football program. Just feels like our program hasn't grown one bit. This is the same kind of hire we could have made at the end of the Jackie or Croom years. The rest of the SEC should be amused I'm sure.

This is a Mittittippi State hire if there ever was one. His qualifications are being hired by Saban and Belichik and being an MSU grad.

All our idiot fans that think Anthony Dixon is qualified to be our RB coach are lapping this $hi+ up all day long.

Lord McBuckethead
01-06-2020, 10:08 PM
Napier jist doesn't excite me. I am watching their bowl game, and nothing seems really mind blowing play calls on offense. It doesn't look like Napier's system could beat Bama, Aubutn, LSU or aTm.

Just looks very 2004, schematically.

CoachT14
01-06-2020, 10:17 PM
Never even been a coordinator but being asked to run a SEC west program ? I don?t see it
Amateur move and reeks of panic if true

Just another I'm John Cohen, I'm smart move. He's banking on folks getting hype about him playing for us. And he's probably banking correctly.

https://media.tenor.com/images/b9075dd2642b10145152e2c4b71f2418/tenor.gif

maroonmania
01-06-2020, 10:38 PM
Just another I'm John Cohen, I'm smart move. He's banking on folks getting hype about him playing for us. And he's probably banking correctly.

https://media.tenor.com/images/b9075dd2642b10145152e2c4b71f2418/tenor.gif

Starting to really miss Greg Byrne. I mean for a guy that should be feeling a lot of pressure to get this hire right, Cohen sure isn't acting like it if this is going to be the hire. Big, big time gamble.

Todd4State
01-06-2020, 10:45 PM
Where I personally think you are wrong, is the talk of hiring Judge after the EB. Cohen had no intention IMO of firing Moorhead until it was plastered all over ESPN that our starting QB was out of the bowl game after getting decked by a starting Linebacker. And then we looked like warmed over shit on national TV and his hand was called.

I think this is what happened.

CoachT14
01-06-2020, 10:46 PM
Starting to really miss Greg Byrne. I mean for a guy that should be feeling a lot of pressure to get this hire right, Cohen sure isn't acting like it if this is going to be the hire. Big, big time gamble.

Sadly, Cohen is probably fine because are cigar boys love them some MSU guy hires even if they suck.

Maverick
01-06-2020, 11:36 PM
You can't force a guy to come, he obviously turned down multiple other jobs. He's willing to stay where he is and ride it out for a select few places he wants to go end of story it's over.

Coursesuper
01-07-2020, 12:01 AM
Sadly, Cohen is probably fine because are cigar boys love them some MSU guy hires even if they suck.

The athletic department is already so GD inbred that the family tree is a straight line, now it's going to extend to the football program. We're are going full UNM on this one. It's literally amazing to me that this is actually happening. We can literally learn nothing from the recent past.

War Machine Dawg
01-07-2020, 03:21 AM

I don't think anyone who is rational would disagree with that. That's certainly the case as I see it, at any rate. But here's the problem: If you made the decision that Moorhead wasn't going to make it to Year 4, and almost all of us agree that was a certainty, then why allow him Year 3? Cohen should've pulled the plug a month ago when every school who isn't run by Mickey Mouse was taking care of their coaching business. The "concerns over the culture and direction of the program" didn't crop up over night. It just got put into the public eye to a degree where Cohen had to act. That's my point.

Waiting a month, even if it wasn't the plan, is the root of the problem. It screams that there's no leadership in the Bryan Building. No one inside the walls that can make a tough decision based on facts at hand. No one who has a progressive vision for MSU athletics in general and football in particular. If we had someone like that, it should've been easy to pull the plug on Moorhead after the EB. At that point if you hire Judge, while it's still a major risk, it can at least be spun as a guy who blew you away and was highly recommended by Belichik. But once you've screwed up so badly and fire Moorhead a month after every well run program has already settled their coaching situations, minus a couple of schools who might have to do a search due to NFL hires, you can't afford to not have your ducks in a row before you make a change.

And also worth pointing out, if your stated reason for firing your coach is "concerns over the culture and direction of the program," then why in the hell are you gambling on someone who's never even been a coordinator, much less a HC? Seems to me if that's the reason you're making a change, you've got to go with someone who has a track record of instilling a quality culture/fixing broken cultures as your HC.

Again, I actually like the idea of Judge. He might be the candidate with the highest ceiling on the board for us. But he's also got the lowest floor. I'd rather hire him than any of the names I've heard linked with us that aren't Napier. I mean, Chizik, Monken, etc.? Not just no but hell no to any of those guys.

But my question is this: Why is our list of candidates so terrible outside of Napier? We can pay a top 15 salary, plus hire a quality staff. I understand we're in the toughest division in all of CFB with the GOAT CFB HC just 90 miles east, but surely there are coaches out there who believe in themselves enough to take the job. It isn't hard to win 7-9 games a year at State. 4 OOC, KY, UM, Arkansas gets you to 7. Beat one of Auburn, A&M, or LSU and you're at 8. We avoid FL & GA most years, so give yourself a W over our other East opponent most years and you're right there at 9. Get the right QB, stars and schedule align and you can win 10-11 like Moorhead should've done in '18.

War Machine Dawg
01-07-2020, 03:24 AM
The athletic department is already so GD inbred that the family tree is a straight line, now it's going to extend to the football program. We're are going full UNM on this one. It's literally amazing to me that this is actually happening. We can literally learn nothing from the recent past.

I've been banging this drum for years. The last outsider we had in the Bryan Building was Ninja Byrne. Not so coincidentally, it's the last time our athletic department appeared to be a modern, well run sports business and not amateur hour. We desperately need an outsider AD with both business and sports experience to breath new life into our athletic department. But that's a pipedream because the Virginia Slims will never let it happen. They'd lose their control.

OSCAR
01-07-2020, 03:55 AM

This is why so many people are skeptical of Cohen. He and the Virginia Slims have 17d this situation up so badly it's absurd. We're a laughingstock right now for how this has been handled.

I will say it again, he was set to make a change after the Egg Bowl but Keenum told him not to(after having told him they needed a change weeks prior). Then Cohen did like any good AD would and stuck his neck out for his coach. He was forced to make this change. He did not want to make this change this late. He was ready to conduct a full search next cycle, not late this one. This is all on Keenum. Y?all can blame Cohen, but his boss told him to do this against his better judgement and this is what we get. I said time and time again that we shouldn?t fire Joe this cycle and no one would even give it a thought that we?d be better off to wait until next cycle to conduct a full search from a larger candidate pool.

MarketingBully
01-07-2020, 04:10 AM
This is a Mittittippi State hire if there ever was one. His qualifications are being hired by Saban and Belichik and being an MSU grad.

All our idiot fans that think Anthony Dixon is qualified to be our RB coach are lapping this $hi+ up all day long.

Please just shut the hell up.

MarketingBully
01-07-2020, 04:14 AM
Napier jist doesn't excite me. I am watching their bowl game, and nothing seems really mind blowing play calls on offense. It doesn't look like Napier's system could beat Bama, Aubutn, LSU or aTm.

Just looks very 2004, schematically.

I’m with you especially if he brings most of his staff with him (which aren’t SEC level imo). If we get Napier, we won’t get Feld for S&C either.