PDA

View Full Version : What about this plan

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Instead of hiring a high ceiling, low floor guy like Judge, what if we went with an established coach like Calhoun or Clawson that we know can keep the program between 6-9 wins and fix our culture issues. Then, when the ABC money kicks in, we will be in a much better place both as a team and monetarily to attract a good coach with a high ceiling.

Right now, our program needs to be righted. We're 1 bad hire away from becoming Arkansas. Seriously, we are.

You can survive missing on a high risk high reward guy if hes following a winner like Mullen, you cant stack back to back fails.

I say give Calhoun (who is NOT an option guy, he does this crazy thing called ADAPTING to the roster he has and would do the same here) or Clawson a go. Let them fix our culture and re lay the groundwork to make this an attractive place to coach. When the ABC money gets here we can throw 5+M more than we can now into a staff and can afford to go after a high risk high reward type again

msstate7
01-06-2020, 05:07 PM
I'm more than ok with clawson

DogsofAnarchy
01-06-2020, 05:08 PM
That’s toooo smart for our inbreds.

Dawgface
01-06-2020, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with Clawson or Calhoun.

confucius say
01-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Good with both of those.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-06-2020, 05:17 PM
I'm leaning more and more to Calhoun.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/326145-air-force-coach-troy-calhoun-why-he-wouldve-been-great-for-the-vols

The character evaluations on Calhoun check out, for the most part. In fact, Troy Calhoun is the complete opposite of Lane Kiffin: hard-working, un-entitled, understated, and capable of getting the most out of his players. He walks the line.

Calhoun has been a coach who wins by doing more with less. Like Kelly, he'd be walking into a situation rich in the kind of talent he could only dream of at his previous places of employment.

Chinchilla
01-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Let's play out this proposal.

Right now, while I agree it was the right thing to do, we have fired a coach who had a winning record and went to two bowl games after just two seasons.

You propose that we make a conservative hire with the intention of continuing to win 6-9 games each year over the next few years. Then, after this new coach has come here and done the job we hired him to do, you propose we fire him anyway.

And this will land us a good coach?

CadaverDawg
01-06-2020, 05:37 PM
Sounds good to me.

Now I'm about to go take a jwells and wipe my bert with toilet paper.