PDA

View Full Version : If no BN, I think I am in on Judge

Msujd164
01-06-2020, 03:51 PM
Aside from being a HC, he?s apparently very football smart. We?d get Feld, and probably a damn good staff

confucius say
01-06-2020, 03:57 PM
The judge/hall/lupoi/Feld combo may be a better option than Napier

Big4Dawg
01-06-2020, 04:06 PM
Lupoi gets a hard pass from me if he's the DC. https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/01/why-tosh-lupoi-leaving-alabama-was-long-expected.html

On this surface, this doesn't seem above average SEC staff. Stealing Tulane's OC and an unemployed DC. Who being mentioned isn't getting a promotion and would come if we hired any coach?

HailStateSZN19
01-06-2020, 04:06 PM
If it ain't Napier, which looks like is at an all-time low chance, I'm riding with Judge. I don't buy all this talk about us not opening up the wallet some. I think the Napier situation is he simply prefers either Baylor or maybe South Carolina next year. I don't think it's salary/money related at all. As long as we give Judge $5 mil+ for assistants' salary, I can ride with him. I do think it is the riskiest move. I think there's 2 outcomes:

1) He kills it here. He hires a damn good staff and works his ass off because he is ONE OF US and isn't job hunting all the time like Napier most likely would. He wins and elevates us and he's a legend at the end of his tenure here because this could be one of the ballsiest hires I can remember.
-or-
2) This hire crashes and burns and sets us back another 5+ years

I don't think there's any in between with this hire. But this dude has worked for 2 of the greatest football minds in football history at any level in Saban and Belicheck. The dude knows football. 3 SB's and 2 National Titles. He's carried a massive workload with the Patriots and has killed it and is being requested to interview with NFL teams for a HC gig. The biggest concern for me is recruiting. If he hires a damn good staff full of recruiters, I think this could be a massive upside hire. Walk into a kid's house and slap 3 SB rings on the table and see if that doesn't have any effect. I'm not saying that will automatically make kids line up to come to MSU but I'd say that has to be an effective recruiting tactic. He will instill toughness into the program and we will be disciplined and accountable & he will bring Feld back home which helps with that aspect. But this hire hinges completely on the $$$ we'd cough up for assistants and who he could bring in.

yjnkdawg
01-06-2020, 04:08 PM
The judge/hall/lupoi/Feld combo may be a better option than Napier

Yeah, and the NFL people who know say sooner or later he will be a NFL HC . I guess they haven't been clued in by some message board posters (the sky is falling), or maybe they just have more expertise in that area.

gtowndawg
01-06-2020, 04:12 PM
Lupoi gets a hard pass from me if he's the DC. https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/01/why-tosh-lupoi-leaving-alabama-was-long-expected.html

On this surface, this doesn't seem above average SEC staff. Stealing Tulane's OC and an unemployed DC. Who being mentioned isn't getting a promotion and would come if we hired any coach?

I read that earlier today. He scares me as a DC.

smootness
01-06-2020, 04:13 PM
If it ain't Napier, which looks like is at an all-time low chance, I'm riding with Judge. I don't buy all this talk about us not opening up the wallet some. I think the Napier situation is he simply prefers either Baylor or maybe South Carolina next year. I don't think it's salary/money related at all. As long as we give Judge $5 mil+ for assistants' salary, I can ride with him. I do think it is the riskiest move. I think there's 2 outcomes:

1) He kills it here. He hires a damn good staff and works his ass off because he is ONE OF US and isn't job hunting all the time like Napier most likely would. He wins and elevates us and he's a legend at the end of his tenure here because this could be one of the ballsiest hires I can remember.
-or-

I don't think there's any in between with this hire. But this dude has worked for 2 of the greatest football minds in football history at any level in Saban and Belicheck. The dude knows football. 3 SB's and 2 National Titles. He's carried a massive workload with the Patriots and has killed it and is being requested to interview with NFL teams for a HC gig. The biggest concern for me is recruiting. If he hires a damn good staff full of recruiters, I think this could be a massive upside hire. Walk into a kid's house and slap 3 SB rings on the table and see if that doesn't have any effect. I'm not saying that will automatically make kids line up to come to MSU but I'd say that has to be an effective recruiting tactic. He will instill toughness into the program and we will be disciplined and accountable & he will bring Feld back home which helps with that aspect. But this hire hinges completely on the $$$ we'd cough up for assistants and who he could bring in.

Of course there's an in-between. He could simply be ok and have somewhat middling success, keeping us mildly afloat while we settle in below where we've been for the last 10 years.

There's definitely plenty of risk, though.

HailStateSZN19
01-06-2020, 04:16 PM
Of course there's an in-between. He could simply be ok and have somewhat middling success, keeping us mildly afloat while we settle in below where we've been for the last 10 years.

There's definitely plenty of risk, though.

That's just my opinion on the "no in between" take. I just think this kind of hire either turns out fantastic or tragically horrific and I think with his football mind and who he's been around, it has a better chance to turn out to be a fantastic hire. Just my own opinion on it though. It all hinges on his staff he could bring.

Dawgbite
01-06-2020, 04:42 PM
High risk, high reward. Kind of like marrying a former stripper.

BrunswickDawg
01-06-2020, 04:58 PM

-or-

Here is my fear - sub Bryant and Holmgren for Saban and Belicheck and Bama for NFL and we have the same justification we used for hiring Croom.

TrapGame
01-06-2020, 05:02 PM
No head coaching experience. Zilch, zip, nada. A HUGE gamble by Cohen and company.

msstatelp1
01-06-2020, 06:06 PM
I'm ok with whomever Cohen hires as long as it ain't Joe, Chizik, or Freeze. I'd prefer someone with successful CFB HC experience at a G5 or P5 school.