PDA

View Full Version : I'm hoping for Sarkisian at this point

KOdawg1
01-06-2020, 02:15 PM
Like Judge, he's a gamble but for different reasons. I think these past few years as a coordinator with the Falcons and Bama have been good for him. Any experience under Saban is good. If the rumors of him being able to eliminate his alcohol problems are true, I'd be fine with giving him a chance.

- He's been a successful P5 coach at Washington and USC
- He's a west coast guy, and while the culture compared to the south is very different, it's not a polar opposite like people from the northeast are. Plus he's lived in the south since 2016 so it wouldn't be a complete culture shock like I think we saw with Moorhead.
- He's an arrogant asshole. But is that so bad? Look at Dan. Look at Saban. Hell, look at all successful head coaches. They're assholes.
- Offensive guy, which I think is the best choice for an MSU coach
- He has something to prove. The embarrassment from his time at USC will follow him wherever he goes. It just will. He'll have an edge that we so desperately need in our program.
- He's the perfect counter-move to Kiffin. If us and OM are recruiting a kid, he can walk in that kid's living room and tell him that he's been the guy to replace Lane Kiffin on 3 separate occasions. If the rumors of him and Kiffin not liking each other are true, you wouldn't have to worry about him being motivated for the Egg Bowl. He'd want to beat that ass.

Blast away bc I'm aware this isn't a popular opinion, but I'm on board with this more than any other guy not named Napier at this point.

Mobile Bay
01-06-2020, 02:38 PM
No. Sorry. And here is why. Recovery is difficult and has a high relapse rate. One of the saddest things I have ever seen was a five year AA token in the parking lot of a liquor store. I wish him the best. But making him the head of our program, or any program, is just too risky.

smootness
01-06-2020, 02:47 PM
He was ok at Washington, ok at USC, mediocre or worse in Atlanta, and I guess did fine at Alabama this year.

He wouldn't be a terrible hire probably, but there's nothing to suggest he's very good.

bulldawg28
01-06-2020, 03:38 PM
I like the potential hire!

hacker
01-06-2020, 03:44 PM
He turned UW from a 0 win team to an 8 win team pretty quickly. He could probably do better now that he's sober. I think it'd probably be a good hire.

Liverpooldawg
01-06-2020, 03:51 PM
Sark isn't a bad coach at all. There better be something about alcohol spelled out specifically in his contract. It better be if you go off the wagon you are fired with cause with no buy out.

bobcat91
01-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Oh hell no

dantheman4248
01-06-2020, 03:58 PM
Love Starkville but it's not the best town for a recovering alcoholic. Have to pass for his sake.

preachermatt83
01-06-2020, 03:59 PM
Absolutely. I’d be satisfied

RiverCityDawg
01-06-2020, 04:05 PM
He was ok at Washington, ok at USC, mediocre or worse in Atlanta, and I guess did fine at Alabama this year.

He wouldn't be a terrible hire probably, but there's nothing to suggest he's very good.

That's the thing for me. It's not like he was Urban Meyer before the Alcohol issues. He was average. Everywhere he goes he seems to have just as many fans against him as for him. Just a very lukewarm hire with an embarrassing downside and limited upside. It also feels very "little brother" to what ole miss just did with their hire and I don't like that.

I would rather gamble with Judge, assuming he had great answers for Cohen regarding his recruiting plan, staff, etc.

This is all assuming Bert is full of it.

Liverpooldawg
01-06-2020, 04:23 PM
That's the thing for me. It's not like he was Urban Meyer before the Alcohol issues. He was average. Everywhere he goes he seems to have just as many fans against him as for him. Just a very lukewarm hire with an embarrassing downside and limited upside. It also feels very "little brother" to what ole miss just did with their hire and I don't like that.

I would rather gamble with Judge, assuming he had great answers for Cohen regarding his recruiting plan, staff, etc.

This is all assuming Bert is full of it.

As a USC fan as well as a Dawg, it would be a big brother hire actually. Sark is a better coach.

deadheaddawg
01-06-2020, 04:26 PM
If the rumors of him being able to eliminate his alcohol problems are true, I'd be fine with giving him a chance.

That is not possible. You CANNOT eliminate alcohol problems from an alcoholic. He might have it under control, and he may be able to keep it under control for the rest of his life, but it will never be eliminated. Relapse is always a possibility and not that uncommon. Even after years.

9 years into my sobriety it still something I have to actively manage. I always will

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-06-2020, 04:28 PM
We would be on par with OM hire at least.

BeardoMSU
01-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Love Starkville but it's not the best town for a recovering alcoholic. Have to pass for his sake.

Well hopefully he gets the BYU job when it opens up then...

deadheaddawg
01-06-2020, 04:37 PM

why isn't it? It is no different than any other city for alcoholics.

Cowbell
01-06-2020, 04:43 PM
You guys need to quit wasting time with this guy. We have way too many Baptists that are big money boosters.

BeardoMSU
01-06-2020, 04:44 PM
We have way too many Baptists that are big money boosters.

Couldn't they just teach him how to drink covertly?*

Coursesuper
01-06-2020, 04:50 PM

This post is such win.

Cowbell
01-06-2020, 04:56 PM

Exactly

Spiderman
01-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Like Judge, he's a gamble but for different reasons. I think these past few years as a coordinator with the Falcons and Bama have been good for him. Any experience under Saban is good. If the rumors of him being able to eliminate his alcohol problems are true, I'd be fine with giving him a chance.

- He's been a successful P5 coach at Washington and USC
- He's a west coast guy, and while the culture compared to the south is very different, it's not a polar opposite like people from the northeast are. Plus he's lived in the south since 2016 so it wouldn't be a complete culture shock like I think we saw with Moorhead.
- He's an arrogant asshole. But is that so bad? Look at Dan. Look at Saban. Hell, look at all successful head coaches. They're assholes.
- Offensive guy, which I think is the best choice for an MSU coach
- He has something to prove. The embarrassment from his time at USC will follow him wherever he goes. It just will. He'll have an edge that we so desperately need in our program.
- He's the perfect counter-move to Kiffin. If us and OM are recruiting a kid, he can walk in that kid's living room and tell him that he's been the guy to replace Lane Kiffin on 3 separate occasions. If the rumors of him and Kiffin not liking each other are true, you wouldn't have to worry about him being motivated for the Egg Bowl. He'd want to beat that ass.

Blast away bc I'm aware this isn't a popular opinion, but I'm on board with this more than any other guy not named Napier at this point.

Look for the same futility on offense then.

State will never consistently recruit players good enough to be successful in a pro style offense