PDA

View Full Version : The only thing we will know, regardless of who we hire...

smootness
01-06-2020, 11:10 AM
...is that we won't know much of anything until games are played.

If we hire a seeming no-doubt up-and-coming HC, it could be a home run (Urban Meyer, PJ Fleck, Matt Rhule) or a huge bust (Scott Frost, Willie Taggart, Chad Morris, Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman).
If we hire a proven head coach with all the hype, it could be a home run (Nick Saban, Chris Peterson) or a huge bust (Chip Kelly) or just meh (Jim Harbaugh).
If we hire a popular assistant, it could be a home run (Dan Mullen, Lincoln Riley, Kirby Smart) or a huge bust (Joe Moorhead, Will Muschamp).
If we make a WTF hiring of a guy with no real proven experience, it could be a predictable bust (Sylvester Croom) or a massive home run (Dabo Swinney).
If we hire a disappointing retread, it could be a bust (Les Miles, Charlie Strong) or a home run (Ed Orgeron).
If we hire someone whose only real qualification is having strong ties to the program, it could be a home run (Pat Fitzgerald, Hugh Freeze) or a bust (Matt Luke).

There's just no way to know until they actually start coaching. So regardless of who we hire, it's smart not to get too excited or too disappointed. Because great coaches can come from anywhere and bad coaches can appear to be no-brainers.

Dawgface
01-06-2020, 11:19 AM
True. At the risk of sounding like a Genepager, I'm going to support whoever gets the job. Except Gene Chizik. Ha.

hacker
01-06-2020, 11:20 AM
I'll figure out a way to convince myself that whoever it is will be the best coach of all time

DownwardDawg
01-06-2020, 11:27 AM
I'll figure out a way to convince myself that whoever it is will be the best coach of all time

Haha!! Me too man. I always do.

Bdawg
01-06-2020, 11:32 AM
Haha!! Me too man. I always do.

Didn't we do it with Moorhead? Ha. Truthfully you just never know like the OP said.