DownwardDawg
01-06-2020, 10:34 AM
He's got a punchers chance of having a good nfl career

Haha! I laughed.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:35 AM
What an idiot & immature decision

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Just think how selfish that player was in his career.

He has absolutely no chance in the NFL because he isn't mature enough to handle it.

Bdawg
01-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Will be bagging groceries if he doesn't mature.

TheLostDawg
01-06-2020, 10:38 AM
What an idiot & immature decision

Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Just think how selfish that player was in his career.

He has absolutely no chance in the NFL because he isn't mature enough to handle it.

Which will only decrease his changes of drafting because personality issues. No one wants drama on their team.

I seen it dawg
01-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Lotta Willie love so far

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Will be bagging groceries if he doesn't mature.

He's not near mature enough for the NFL.

No player in MSU has taken more & given less.

Sorry, I realize some on here know him & say he loves MSU, but his inability to ever put MSU above his own temptations shows how limited his love MSU is.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Which will only decrease his changes of drafting because personality issues. No one wants drama on their team.

He'll get drafted due to his measurables, but he he's leaving millions of dollars on the able by declaring this year & won't last 2 years in the NFL due to lack of maturity

msstate7
01-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Maybe this removes any chance of losing shrader.

Unlike most here, I hate to lose elite talent... maybe a better coach could've tamed Willie some

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:43 AM
Between Dantzler & Gay, we've lost two culture problems

DCdawg
01-06-2020, 10:45 AM
All other issues aside, Willie is a difference maker and a great talent. I'm not sure how a full year of playing time wouldn't improve his draft stock. Hopefully he matures quickly.

msstate7
01-06-2020, 10:46 AM
Between Dantzler & Gay, we've lost two culture problems

We lost the main one, Moorhead

confucius say
Good luck willie.
Grow up fast and be great

ShotgunDawg
I'm not sure how a full year of playing time wouldn't improve his draft stock. Hopefully he matures quickly.

Your kidding me right?

CadaverDawg
I hate that we really never got to see a full season of the best Willie Gay. Sucks.

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2020, 10:47 AM
Good riddance

We have me the enemy.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:48 AM
I hate that we really never got to see a full season of the best Willie Gay. Sucks.

Very selfish player

DCdawg
01-06-2020, 10:50 AM
Your kidding me right?

That he could help himself out by showing that he's matured playing another year or that I hope he figures it out and grows up? I'm not kidding about either.

Johnson85
01-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Maybe this removes any chance of losing shrader.

Unlike most here, I hate to lose elite talent... maybe a better coach could've tamed Willie some

Yup. People glad he is leaving are crazy. He may be immature and make some bad decisions, but he is a legit playmaker when we don't have many on the defensive side of the ball. A good coach might not stop Willie from making bad decisions, but a good coach would limit the impact of his bad decisions to the on-field consequences, without it negatively impacting the culture of the team or negatively impacting their preparation for games.

That's assuming the culture isn't so bad that we have to clean house, but I don't think it is. I think we dind't have the greatest leaders and that problem was compounded by having a leadership vacuum w/r/t the head coach.

BB30
01-06-2020, 10:54 AM
Dude is a nice respectable kid from what every teacher at Starkville high has said that I have talked to.

He may not make his money on the front end but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him starting as early as next season. The guy is an absolute freak of an athlete and has an incredible football IQ. He made big time plays in every game he played in. One of the most talented linebackers we have had over the last decade. Just sucks we never got to see him for a full season.

HoopsDawg
01-06-2020, 10:57 AM
Willie is going to light up the combine and make a lot of money.

msstate7
01-06-2020, 10:58 AM

Hopefully my saints plug him in beside demario Davis

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:59 AM
Dude is a nice respectable kid from what every teacher at Starkville high has said that I have talked to.

How can anyone truthfully believe after his 3 years at MSU?

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 10:59 AM

Maybe but could've made much more by coming back

Rex54
01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
I will be forever grateful for William F. Gay for he was the catalyst for the end of the SlowJo Error... Tutorgate, on-field discipline, and the Shrader Socket all wrapped into one.

Johnson85
01-06-2020, 11:02 AM

He may not make his money on the front end but I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him starting as early as next season. The guy is an absolute freak of an athlete and has an incredible football IQ. He made big time plays in every game he played in. One of the most talented linebackers we have had over the last decade. Just sucks we never got to see him for a full season.

"Nice and respectable" and "immature idiot" are not incompatible. Plenty of 21 year old males are generally good guys that have terrible impulse control and just screw themselves and people around them over with their decisions.

And i'm not claiming that Willie is an idiot. Certainly looks that way from the outside looking in but it's possible he's just had extremely bad luck with every bad deicion him making being or becoming very public and having the worst possible outcomes where as lots of 21 year olds make bad decisions and are lucky enough to have basically zero repercussions from them beyond some stress.

ETA: And again, I selfishly wish he would stay because I think it would be good for MSU and people being glad he is gone are crazy.

PMDawg
01-06-2020, 11:02 AM
declares for NFL draft via Twitter.

Good.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Also, declaring while we don't have a head coach is awfully immature, Yet again.

By declaring without a coach, you remove yourself from the accountability of having tell someone bad news.

Just like hoping your girlfriend dumps you instead of you having to tell her yourself.

As much of a "me" player as we've ever had

Cowbell
01-06-2020, 11:06 AM
This is the saddest thread I have seen on here in a long time. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say all you guys trashing him right now were fully mature at his age and didn't make poor decisions. All this trolling about new coaches is fun but this is where the fun stops for me. This thread needs to be locked and removed. If it's not, I will lose all respect for the mods of this board.

BB30
01-06-2020, 11:06 AM

I'm not sure. Just what I have been told by multiple teachers that taught him.

Can someone enlighten me on what he has done other than the cheating thing and punching shrader in the face?

I'd say a good 50-60% of college students cheat. Or at least they did when I was in school and it wasn't just "bad" kids. A lot of people that think their kid would never do anything like that have kids that are cheating.

As for punching Shrader nothing makes it right but I am slow to pass judgment just because I played ball in college and have seen good kids and teammates do similar things simply because the instigator wouldn't quit running their mouths. That doesn't make it ok to hit someone but it happens when you have 85 young males reved up on testosterone around each other every day.

I don't know what kind of person he is due to not knowing him personally but I do know several teachers that don't have a bad word to say about him.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 11:07 AM
This is the saddest thread I have seen on here in a long time. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say all you guys trashing him right now were fully mature at his age and didn't make poor decisions. All this trolling about new coaches is fun but this is where the fun stops for me. This thread needs to be locked and removed. If it's not, I will lose all respect for the mods of this board.

Sorry, he was a bad teammate

KOdawg1
01-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Our LBs are going to be weak

StateDawg44
01-06-2020, 11:10 AM

Because we as fans (since that is who you are implying with anyone) don't know Willie outside of the football program.

WinningIsRelentless
01-06-2020, 11:12 AM
This sucks for us.

DCdawg
01-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Willie could be playing for LSU right now, but instead chose to stay home and play for State. While he's made some bad decisions (possibly including declaring early for the draft), he will be the one that has to deal with those repercussions. As a fan, the best thing I think I can do is wish him the best, hope he matures and becomes an NFL star, and then plugs and supports MSU every chance he gets.

Cowbell
01-06-2020, 11:14 AM
Sorry, he was a bad teammate

Dude you need to check yourself at the door. He is trying to do more with his life than be an ultimate thread starter on a message board. The kid has made mistakes but we all have. I will forever be grateful that he chose to wear the maroon and white which is more than you can say. For that alone, you should wish him well. Part of being an adult is realizing that young people are going to make mistakes and running them down behind their back is not going to make them or this crappy world we live in a better place. You are terrible about it gun and you need to grow up and realize It makes you a detriment to our university and our fan base when you do it, let alone yourself.

StateDawg44
01-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Dude you need to check yourself at the door. He is trying to do more with his life than be an ultimate thread starter on a message board. The kid has made mistakes but we all have. I will forever be grateful that he chose to wear the maroon and white which is more than you can say. For that alone, you should wish him well. Part of being an adult is realizing that young people are going to make mistakes and running them down behind their back is not going to make them or this crappy world we live in a better place. You are terrible about it gun and you need to grow up and realize you are a determinate to our university and our fan base when you do it, let alone yourself.

This is the same as Shotgun thinking MS kids owe MSU or even OM the tip of the hat in recruiting because they were born or grew up in MS. Don't even consider trying to better yourself with your athletic abilities.

Bettering their lives or family lives be damned.****

LC Dawg
01-06-2020, 11:20 AM
Willie said he just didn't think the chemistry would be right with a new coach.

chef dixon
01-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Lot of butthurt in this thread and its honestly way more embarrassing than anything Willie did while here. Thank you Willie for coming to state and flipping from Ole Miss was a pretty sweet touch as well. Good luck at the next level.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 11:29 AM

Of course it's all about him. What if he gets drafted by a team with a coach that he has bad chemistry with?

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 11:30 AM
Lot of butthurt in this thread and its honestly way more embarrassing than anything Willie did while here. Thank you Willie for coming to state and flipping from Ole Miss was a pretty sweet touch as well. Good luck at the next level.

To each his own.

Cowbell
01-06-2020, 11:36 AM
Of course it's all about him. What if he gets drafted by a team with a coach that he has bad chemistry with?

Dude you need to stop

WinningIsRelentless
01-06-2020, 11:38 AM
To each his own.

People like you are 10x worst than Willie Gay for our football team. Say congrats and wish him well.

KOdawg1
Dude that was a joke. I don't even think I need to explain it to you, but you need to chill out

LC Dawg
Sorry for lack of sarcasterisks.

defiantdog
01-06-2020, 11:39 AM
I mean, it would be his 3rd head coach and 3rd position coach ......

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Dude you need to stop

Sure.... doesn't mean I'm wrong.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 11:40 AM
People like you are 10x worst than Willie Gay for our football team. Say congrats and wish him well.

Not true

WinningIsRelentless
01-06-2020, 11:41 AM
Not true

Very True.

Irondawg
01-06-2020, 11:42 AM
I just hope he isn't getting bad advice. He has NFL talent, but he's going to be flagged for character issues and doesn't have a lot of tape so will be interesting to see how that translates. I also have no idea what to expect from his combine numbers.

Right now going in I'd guess he's a projected 4-6th round, maybe 3rd. If he destroys the combine he could move up rapidly but with his luck thusfar he's going to screw up and hire an agent immediately then pull a hamstring while training for the combine and go in the 6th round. Could still work out but if he came back and had a very good season he's at minimum a 2nd round pick probably.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Very True.

Not true

Bdawg
01-06-2020, 11:44 AM

I was more mature in high school. I wouldn't dream of doing anything that would hurt the team. I do feel it's partially Moorhead's fault too with the culture he created. Im not trashing the guy because I wish he would stay. His actions just tell us he is extremely immature and needs some more discipline in his life. I wish our next coach could give that to him. The nfl is a business and eats guys alive like him if he doesn't have some good people around him. Wish him the best but I worry about his outcome. He better hope the patriots draft him.

Huntsville Dawg
01-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Man it sucks we are losing him. Dude is a baller, I hope he does well in the NFL.

notsofarawaydawg
01-06-2020, 12:03 PM
All other issues aside, Willie is a difference maker and a great talent. I'm not sure how a full year of playing time wouldn't improve his draft stock. Hopefully he matures quickly.

Yeah, he really made a BIG difference in the Music City Bowl against one of the worst teams we've played. Bye Felicia !!

MaroonFlounder
01-06-2020, 12:07 PM
LB group is going to be a huge weakness for the next year or 2.

DCdawg
01-06-2020, 12:17 PM
Yeah, he really made a BIG difference in the Music City Bowl against one of the worst teams we've played. Bye Felicia !!

He was the leading tackler in the game and forced a fumble. Try again.

wmccgc
01-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Man it sucks we are losing him. Dude is a baller, I hope he does well in the NFL.

I remember after the KY game, when Willie got suspended, that Joe said, "Give me 100 Willie Gays, and his passion!" (Or some such thing, in defense of Willie.) How ironic it was his punch that prolly got Joe fired. Wonder how Joe feels about Willie now?

DeputyDawg94
01-06-2020, 12:50 PM
WG is an elite athlete and him leaving makes our LB group weaker no doubt, but there will be some positive come from this. The overall team stability will improve. I loved to watch him play but I was literally scared he was going to get a taunting or unsportsmanlike penalty after every tackle. I can’t count the times I screamed at my tv for him to stop the stupid crap and just play ball like he had made a tackle before.

Todd4State
01-06-2020, 01:09 PM
This helps whoever our next coach is as far as culture goes. Good riddance.

Johnson85
01-06-2020, 01:14 PM

Message board warriors don't have the ability to affect the team. But yes, people should be congratulating Gay and wishing him well. Ignoring the fact that even less than perfect players should get that treatment, WIllie's last two years were under MOorhead.

Boobie spent his junior year if not out of shape, certainly not in good shape. And started the year off with a DUI I think? He made his living in the NFL being a team guy and lockeroom guy, and yet under Croom, he wasn't dedicated enough to stay in good shape (or probably more accurately didn't even know he wasn't really working out the way he should). Coaching matters a lot for culture and how players respond. Gay will probably respond well to being in a good culture, like most players do.

tcdog70
01-06-2020, 02:13 PM
Dammit, Willie will be missed. Why not just wish him well? he was in tutorgate and punched GS. But I don't recall him doing anything else to be labeled a Cancer. Saying you don't want the most talented player on defense back is stupid, but stupid runs rampant on this board.

LC Dawg
01-06-2020, 02:53 PM
I joke about Willie but I would love to have him back next year. Can he still return as long as he doesn't sign with an agent by a certain date? I wish he would at least see who the next coach is and hear them out.

Indndawg
01-06-2020, 03:13 PM
Bet he's gonna give Pig a run for his Wonderlic score.

Lord McBuckethead
01-06-2020, 05:32 PM

Because he is. Regardless, he would make tons more money staying for a full season where he can prove his issues were isolated situations that all compounded in a single year. Also, he would practically double the amount of snaps he has on tape by coming back for one more season.

tcdog70
01-06-2020, 07:27 PM
Dude, what makes you think Willie isn't smart. he hasn't had grade problems. his HIghschool teachers say he is a good student. Tell me you never cheated? A fight and tutorgate (along with several other players) are the only times Willie has had any problem.

MarketingBully
01-07-2020, 03:52 AM

I see what you did there. How many chances should a kid get? He may light up the combine but he?s a PR nightmare for NFL teams. His actions led to him being suspended for 8.5 games and he wasn?t even suspended by JoMo for breaking our QBs face which basically led to us getting beat in the MCB. Hope he gets his life straight but going early in the NFL draft with all of his off the field issues is dumb. Could have been a top 3 round draft pick had he come back for his senior year and shown that he had some discipline. As is, I doubt he gets drafted period.

DCdawg
04-24-2020, 09:03 PM
I think this thread deserves a bump...

ShotgunDawg
04-24-2020, 09:07 PM
I'm really happy that things worked out for Willie. I really am.

However.....

- He left a 17 ton of money on the table by declaring. He's a 1st round talent that the Chiefs just got a significant discount on

- The last pick of the 1st round is worth $11.2 mil while pick 63 is worth $958K. Willie made an awful financial decision. There is not debate on this. Don't try to debate it.

- I really wish MSU would've gotten more out of him. Felt like we had a super star player that for a number of reasons was never on the field. He's the least impactful top 3 round MSU draft pick of all time in my book. Unless I'm forgeting someone

DCdawg
04-24-2020, 09:10 PM
That's certainly a more rational response. The best thing to do now is hope that he kills it professionally.

Matt3467
04-24-2020, 09:16 PM

However.....

- He left a 17 ton of money on the table by declaring. He's a 1st round talent that the Chiefs just got a significant discount on

- The last pick of the 1st round is worth $11.2 mil while pick 63 is worth $958K. Willie made an awful financial decision. There is not debate on this. Don't try to debate it.

- I really wish MSU would've gotten more out of him. Felt like we had a super star player that for a number of reasons was never on the field. He's the least impactful top 3 round MSU draft pick of all time in my book. Unless I'm forgeting someone

Unless Guidry is drafted this round which I've seen some mocks saying it's possible.

Homedawg
04-24-2020, 09:17 PM

However.....

He's a year closer to free agency too. He didn't like school. He did the right thing and that's wo knowing where he was going. He's a freak athlete

ShotgunDawg
04-24-2020, 09:21 PM
He's a year closer to free agency too. He didn't like school. He did the right thing and that's wo knowing where he was going. He's a freak athlete

A year closer to free agency? He would've gotten free agent money by simply returning to MSU a semester. Just a semester. $10 mil more dollars before you play a down is crazy to turn down because you hate school so much you can't go back for 1 semester.

It's not my place to tell another human whether or not he did the right thing because it's his life, but on paper he made an absolutely terrible decision.

It's virtually impossible to defend from any logical perspective unless your Willie. The Chiefs are laughing their asses off right now

There is no finanical basis from which to defend his decision. NONE

If someone offered virtually anyone $10 mil to take online classes for 1 semester of college, who would actually turn that down?

hailmari
04-24-2020, 09:21 PM
Those were some bad mocks.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-24-2020, 09:23 PM

However.....

Chiefs has the 63rd pick last year & the guy signed a 4yr/$4.6mil contract with a $1.2mil signing bonus. Go be great Willie that 2nd contract he gets he'll be 1 of the highest paid LB's in the game.

ShotgunDawg
04-24-2020, 09:25 PM
Chiefs has the 63rd pick last year & the guy signed a 4yr/$4.6mil contract with a $1.2mil signing bonus. Go be great Willie that 2nd contract he gets he'll be 1 of the highest paid LB's in the game.

Ok. Maybe I was looking at it per year. Either way, he could've gotten significantly more money by returning to MSU for 1 semester.

The 2nd contract would've been there regardless. That's not a reason

I agree he'll be one of the best LBs in football. That's why he would've been a 1st round talent by returning.

ShotgunDawg
04-24-2020, 09:27 PM
Either way, it's over now & I hope he goes on to become a pro bowler & one day donates back to MSU.

He's forever a Bulldog. Just wish we could've gotten more out of a superstar

HancockCountyDog
04-24-2020, 09:29 PM

However.....

This article has pick 64 getting 5.1 million over four years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/2020/04/nfl-draft-pick-salary-contract-second-third-round/amp/

This article has pick 32 getting 10.8 million

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2020/04/24/2020-nfl-draft-first-round-rookie-salary-projections-what-burrow-tua-and-chase-young-will-make/amp/

I know sighing bonus are only guaranteed money, but it?s not like Gay will be scrounging for pennies.

I would have liked him to come back to, but another off the field incident and he may have fallen even further.

Gutter Cobreh
04-24-2020, 09:30 PM
A year closer to free agency? He would've gotten free agent money by simply returning to MSU a semester. Just a semester. $10 mil more dollars before you play a down is crazy to turn down because you hate school so much you can't go back for 1 semester.

It's not my place to tell another human whether or not he did the right thing because it's his life, but on paper he made an absolutely terrible decision.

It's virtually impossible to defend from any logical perspective unless your Willie.

Keep digging that hole Shotgun! Dude was the 63rd pick and is about to substantially help his family financially.

Did you see Tunsil's new contract amounts? Everyone knows it's not the rookie contract that matters, it's that second one that truly sets you up for generational wealth.

ShotgunDawg
04-24-2020, 09:34 PM
Keep digging that hole Shotgun! Dude was the 63rd pick and is about to substantially help his family financially.

Did you see Tunsil's new contract amounts? Everyone knows it's not the rookie contract that matters, it's that second one that truly sets you up for generational wealth.

Just a difference in opinion.

He was a 1st rounder that the Chiefs got a big discount on.

HoopsDawg
04-24-2020, 09:42 PM
Maybe but could've made much more by coming back

Not maybe, It happened, and no he wouldn't have.

ShotgunDawg
04-24-2020, 09:49 PM
Not maybe, It happened, and no he wouldn't have.

He wouldn't have made more by coming back? Lolz

HoopsDawg
04-24-2020, 09:59 PM
He wouldn't have made more by coming back? Lolz

He was never going to be a top 25 pick. Time value of money.

tribaldawg
04-24-2020, 10:04 PM
Dude, what makes you think Willie isn't smart. he hasn't had grade problems. his HIghschool teachers say he is a good student. Tell me you never cheated? A fight and tutorgate (along with several other players) are the only times Willie has had any problem.

I'm not saying he is a good kid or bad kid. I have no idea. But let's not sugarcoat what he did. Either of those incidents could have easily been grounds for dismissal from Mississippi State.

Todd4State
04-24-2020, 10:09 PM
He was never going to be a top 25 pick. Time value of money.

Andy Reid is calling him a first round talent. That leads me to believe that if he had kept his head on straight he would have been a first round pick.

Todd4State
04-24-2020, 10:10 PM
I'm not saying he is a good kid or bad kid. I have no idea. But let's not sugarcoat what he did. Either of those incidents could have easily been grounds for dismissal from Mississippi State.

It cost him a lot of money ultimately.

HoopsDawg
04-24-2020, 10:13 PM
Andy Reid is calling him a first round talent. That leads me to believe that if he had kept his head on straight he would have been a first round pick.

That's what every coach will say about every 2nd round pick.

WinningIsRelentless
04-24-2020, 10:15 PM
You can make a argument that it?s better to go in second vs first. It gets you to the second contract a year quicker.

Todd4State
04-24-2020, 10:47 PM
That's what every coach will say about every 2nd round pick.

So you don't think he was a potential first round pick if he would have come back, kept his nose clean, and had a great year?

I disagree.

Todd4State
04-24-2020, 10:49 PM
https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/

If you get picked with the last pick of the first round you are projected to make 5.3 million dollars.

If you get picked with the 63rd pick you are going to make as a ceiling 2.3 million and have a floor of 1.3 million.

Gutter Cobreh
04-24-2020, 10:58 PM
So you don't think he was a potential first round pick if he would have come back, kept his nose clean, and had a great year?

I disagree.

Are you confident he would have been academically eligible should he have decided to return?

Todd4State
04-24-2020, 10:59 PM
Are you confident he would have been academically eligible should he have decided to return?

I am not.

Goldendawg
04-24-2020, 11:29 PM
Congratulations to you Willie! Thanks for your time at State and will enjoy watching you in the NFL. Hail State!

bulldawg28
04-25-2020, 07:39 AM
Willie made the right decision. He missed no money leaving early because he would have been paid $0 playing at State. Haters gonna hate. It proves he was one of the teams leaders as was mentioned. The NFL teams did their research and were plenty satisfied.

ShotgunDawg
04-25-2020, 07:44 AM
Willie is debatable, but Jake Fromm is not.

Woof at that decision.

When I first saw him 3 years ago, I didn't think he was near as talented as his rating. The Nix kid at Auburn will follow right in his foot steps as a terribly overrated player. Although Auby may get 4 years out of him at least

msstate7
04-25-2020, 08:00 AM
Gay was just drafted in the 2nd round by the super bowl champs. If he made a mistake, I wish I were more mistake prone

msbulldog
04-25-2020, 08:13 AM
Congratulations to you Willie! Thanks for your time at State and will enjoy watching you in the NFL. Hail State!

Rep given>

msbulldog
04-25-2020, 08:14 AM
Gay was just drafted in the 2nd round by the super bowl champs. If he made a mistake, I wish I were more mistake prone

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

dawgday166
04-25-2020, 08:38 AM

My thoughts precisely. He'll make millions, play in an outstanding org for a great coach on a team that scores points in bunches, and be challenging for SBs most years in near future.

WinningIsRelentless
04-25-2020, 09:01 AM
Ok. Maybe I was looking at it per year. Either way, he could've gotten significantly more money by returning to MSU for 1 semester.

I agree he'll be one of the best LBs in football. That's why he would've been a 1st round talent by returning.

Yea the second contract would have been there in 2 additional years.

You see 1st round picks are 5 year contracts whereas 2nd round and greater are 4 year contracts.

maroonmania
04-25-2020, 09:04 AM

The mistake Willie Gay made was not leaving early for the draft, it was screwing around the 3 years he was at MSU. If he had kept his nose clean academically, acted with more discipline with regard to his behavior both on and off the field, and avoided physical altercations with his teammates, then I have little doubt he would have been a first rounder and had a lot more money is his pocket today. But Willie is who Willie is, one more year in college was not going to change him. He is a great football talent but a bit of a wild card. Will be interesting to see if he matures as a professional and avoids any self-destructive behavior.

Turfdawg67
04-25-2020, 10:49 AM

Huh? I thought you said he'd be out of football in 2 years?

Hambone
04-25-2020, 11:19 AM
Shotguns gonna Shotgun, what can you say.

Regardless of what has happened in the past, wish Willie all of the success. Go make your millions young man and give a little back in the process.

MaroonFlounder
04-25-2020, 10:31 PM

However.....

Going back through this thread from January really shows how childish you are. (Not True...twice).

And then this comment basically saying nobody should question you and you are right and everybody else is wrong.

News flash. Willie was always leaving at first eligibility. He is not a student.

PMDawg
04-26-2020, 10:05 AM
The mistake Willie Gay made was not leaving early for the draft, it was screwing around the 3 years he was at MSU. If he had kept his nose clean academically, acted with more discipline with regard to his behavior both on and off the field, and avoided physical altercations with his teammates, then I have little doubt he would have been a first rounder and had a lot more money is his pocket today. But Willie is who Willie is, one more year in college was not going to change him. He is a great football talent but a bit of a wild card. Will be interesting to see if he matures as a professional and avoids any self-destructive behavior.

I agree with this 100%.

ShotgunDawg
04-26-2020, 10:08 AM
Going back through this thread from January really shows how childish you are. (Not True...twice).

And then this comment basically saying nobody should question you and you are right and everybody else is wrong.

News flash. Willie was always leaving at first eligibility. He is not a student.

Pretty childish post here

I'm happy for Willie. I'm glad it worked out. The NFL scouts did there job very well on him.

- I wish we could've gotten more out of him at MSU.
- He would've made significantly more money by coming back.

Cooterpoot
04-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Willie made his decision for him. That's exactly what he should've done. I'd rather have been making $5M doing what I loved instead of going to school too.

ShotgunDawg
04-26-2020, 10:14 AM
Willie made his decision for him. That's exactly what he should've done. I'd rather have been making $5M doing what I loved instead of going to school too.

Sure... but school for 1 semester to make $5 million more? Most all those classes being online?

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Glad some of you are aren't agents. You'd die of starvation.

MaroonFlounder
04-26-2020, 11:00 AM
The NFL scouts did there job very well on him.

You would think someone with as many posts/comments as you would be able to use the correct there/their/they're.

TUSK
04-26-2020, 11:18 AM
Sure... but school for 1 semester to make $5 million more? Most all those classes being online?

Dude... It's called "Future Time Orientation", and some people do not possess it.

Cooterpoot
04-26-2020, 11:19 AM

You just don't get it. Life isn't always a financial responsibility decision. It's more about happiness. It's not your decision.
If he plays well, he'll be even richer in a couple years. Had he come back and blown out a knee, he might never get drafted. This shit isn't hard. Let people make their own decisions and move on. Willie has taken more shit from our fans than any great player I can remember. Be happy for him.

PMDawg
04-26-2020, 01:29 PM

2 questions:

1. What do you do for a living? You seem to know everything so I suspect you're a CEO or something, right?

2. Please source where his staying 1 more semester guarantees him $5M more.

TIA

chef dixon
04-26-2020, 01:56 PM
It sucks that we weren't able to see him play more for us. He's an elite talent. I'd put him right up there with Isaiah Simmons honestly. The amount of plays Willie made compared to how often he was on the field was pretty incredible.

ShotgunDawg
04-26-2020, 02:01 PM
2 questions:

1. What do you do for a living? You seem to know everything so I suspect you're a CEO or something, right?

2. Please source where his staying 1 more semester guarantees him $5M more.

TIA

I'm a custodian

It's just my opinion &, if I were his agent, I would've advised him differently.

You're right, $5 mil more was not guaranteed, but Willie IS a 1st round talent & took a substantial discount by entering the draft this season.

Now... it's his life & his decision. If he hates school that much, then perhaps he did make the right decision. We'll never now.

Gutter Cobreh
04-26-2020, 02:06 PM
It sucks that we weren't able to see him play more for us. He's an elite talent. I'd put him right up there with Isaiah Simmons honestly. The amount of plays Willie made compared to how often he was on the field was pretty incredible.

Facts. I can't remember one game he played where he wasn't a noticeable difference maker. Dude is a straight up baller!

KC got a bargain with him in the 2nd round, and he gets a chance to play on highly visible team (due to being defending champs and who also has Mahomes) as a potential starter his rookie year. It's a win/win.

dawgday166
04-26-2020, 02:09 PM
You just don't get it. Life isn't always a financial responsibility decision. It's more about happiness. It's not your decision.
If he plays well, he'll be even richer in a couple years. Had he come back and blown out a knee, he might never get drafted. This shit isn't hard. Let people make their own decisions and move on. Willie has taken more shit from our fans than any great player I can remember. Be happy for him.

Gun has his maroon glasses on and is butt hurt Gay is leaving ... cause he would be a huge asset to our next year's team.

Gotta view the world thru those maroon glasses ****

ShotgunDawg
04-26-2020, 02:44 PM
Gun has his maroon glasses on and is butt hurt Gay is leaving ... cause he would be a huge asset to our next year's team.

Gotta view the world thru those maroon glasses ****

Do you think Willie would have gotten drafted significantly higher with a full, productive year next year?

PMDawg
04-26-2020, 02:52 PM
Do you think Willie would have gotten drafted significantly higher with a full, productive year next year?

Yes. But I would also have bet a lot of money against him having a full productive season. He's a great football player, but he is not really a forward thinker.

If his first 3 seasons were full, productive seasons, he would have gone first round THIS year. He already cost himself the $5M you're harping on.

ETA: yes, I was aware it was just your opinion. I just wanted you to say it, because you always act like your opinion is 100% right, and everyone else is stupid if they don't agree.

ShotgunDawg
04-26-2020, 02:56 PM
But I would also have bet a lot of money against him having a full productive season.

This is probably the best point you've made

dawgday166
04-26-2020, 02:58 PM

Maybe so but he also could've blown out a knee too. He doesn't like school, can be a millionaire now, and he'd be on his 3rd HC & DC ... and in 4 or so years if he plays to his ability he'll be a mega-millionaire. I'd probably do the same thing.

dawgday166
04-26-2020, 03:00 PM
Yes. But I would also have bet a lot of money against him having a full productive season. He's a great football player, but he is not really a forward thinker.

If his first 3 seasons were full, productive seasons, he would have gone first round THIS year. He already cost himself the $5M you're harping on.

ETA: yes, I was aware it was just your opinion. I just wanted you to say it, because you always act like your opinion is 100% right, and everyone else is stupid if they don't agree.

Why do you think he wouldn't have had a full-productive season next year? The dude's a stud. He got drafted on his soph highlights and without tutorgate and clocking Shrader he's a 1st rounder this year.

ETA: KC said he was the top backer on their board.

PMDawg
04-26-2020, 03:01 PM
This is probably the best point you've made

Almost 31,000 posts in and still waiting for your first.

ShotgunDawg
04-26-2020, 03:02 PM
Maybe so but he also could've blown out a knee too. He doesn't like school, can be a millionaire now, and he'd be on his 3rd HC & DC ... and in 4 or so years if he plays to his ability he'll be a mega-millionaire. I'd probably do the same thing.

Yeah, good points.

However, once you identify & accept that LIKELY made a poor financial decision then it's easier to break down why exactly he didn't choose to come back.

Of course, very few of us know Willie, so we're only guessing.

At least he made a far better choice than guys like Fromm, Saadique Charles, and Thaddeous Moss.

Some of those LSU player thought that just because they won they won the natty the NFL was going to blow them

ShotgunDawg
04-26-2020, 03:02 PM

Another solid point.

Most of my opinions are probably wrong, but I try to create discussion

dawgday166
04-26-2020, 03:04 PM

LMAO ... that's funny raght thar. He do make one every once or so in a coon's age.

PMDawg
04-26-2020, 03:11 PM
LMAO ... that's funny raght thar. He do make one every once or so in a coon's age.

Yeah. Just giving him a hard time.

MaroonFlounder
04-26-2020, 05:12 PM
This global pandemic needs to come to an end so Shotgun can get back to...

Never mind. This forum IS his life.

BB30
04-28-2020, 12:45 PM

And if he tears his ACL/MCL or breaks his femur, cracks his neck he wouldn't be a 1st round pick and would probably fall out of the 2nd. I am sure he knew the risks involved with both leaving and staying and then made a decision based on those facts.

It certainly looks like he made the correct decision at the moment only time will tell.