PDA

View Full Version : Bill Belichick: Giants would be getting an 'excellent coach' if hired Judge

Big4Dawg
01-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Link (https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/why-bill-belichick-says-giants-would-be-getting-an-excellent-coach-if-they-hire-new-england-patriots-joe-judge.html)

Top assistants of New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick have not fared particularly well as head coaches away from the friendly confines of Patriot Place, but the six-time Super Bowl winner believes Joe Judge will be an exception.

"He's an excellent coach," Belichick of Judge last week.

The Patriots special teams coordinator and wide receivers coach set to interview for the Giants? head coaching position Monday.

The Patriots special teams has been among the tops in the league for many seasons, finishing ranked No. 3 in special teams points per game. Rock solid special teams coaches have the traits necessary to become successful head coaches.

This season, the Patriots added the responsibility of wide receivers coach to Judge’s job description after Chad O’Shea departed to become the Miami Dolphins' offensive coordinator. Judge, 37, quickly won over one of New England’s most dangerous weapons.

"Joe Judge is a very passionate guy," wide receiver Julian Edelman said earlier this season. “He works very hard at his craft. It’s exciting to have him. He’s been doing a good job. I’m excited to have him.”

The combination of the Patriots' track record of success on special teams combined with the typically reserved Belichick’s effusive praise and trust in Judge makes Judge an attractive candidate.

"Joe has done a great job of organizing that as well as taking on some other things with the offense, in particular receivers, so he’s done a great job. He’s an excellent coach," Belichick said.

In addition to interviewing with the Giants, the Pennsylvania native and Mississippi State alum will also interview this week for his alma mater’s head coaching position after the Bulldogs fired Joe Moorhead Friday.

Big4Dawg
01-06-2020, 10:46 AM
I'm coming around on JJ.

BB is coached ST from 78-84. How he started his career. You think he would let a bad coach handle one of his favorite areas?

Denver Broncos (1978)
Assistant special teams coach & defensive assistant
New York Giants (1979)
Special teams coach & defensive assistant
New York Giants (1980–1984)
Linebackers coach & special teams coach

Also - check this article out: https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/1/16724504/bill-belichick-wont-stop-talking-about-strategy-special-teams-patriots

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 10:49 AM
What's he going to say? He's not ready? No...

RocketDawg
01-06-2020, 10:55 AM
Franklin said the same thing about Moorhead.

Just about any head coach is going to say the same about one of their assistants who has an opportunity to move up. What they say in private to the person responsible for hiring may be a totally different thing.

Rex54
01-06-2020, 11:03 AM

Just about any head coach is going to say the same about one of their assistants who has an opportunity to move up. What they say in private to the person responsible for hiring may be a totally different thing.

Moorhead wasn't a contender for an NFL HC position..

DogsofAnarchy
01-06-2020, 11:08 AM
Moorhead wasn't a contender for an NFL HC position..

Neither is Judge.

Tbonewannabe
01-06-2020, 11:09 AM

Bottom line is, everyone is a gamble. Unless you are hiring someone that coaches in a hire pressure conference like the SEC already, you don't know how they will do. Butch Jones was pretty successful before UT. It helps if they have been inside a program like Bama or Ohio St but it isn't a forgone conclusion that they will be successful. Saban's guys have been hit or miss also.

smootness
01-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Judge is not a bad option. Neither is Napier. Neither is Fickell. Neither is Chizik probably. They're all decent options who may or may not turn out to be good.

Tbonewannabe
01-06-2020, 11:18 AM
Judge is not a bad option. Neither is Napier. Neither is Fickell. Neither is Chizik probably. They're all decent options who may or may not turn out to be good.

Out of that list, Chizik is the least appealing to me. He does have a National Title with Cam at QB but otherwise his record does not say "SEC Coach".

smootness
01-06-2020, 11:39 AM
Out of that list, Chizik is the least appealing to me. He does have a National Title with Cam at QB but otherwise his record does not say "SEC Coach".

Agreed. Just saying, you never really know. I like both Napier and Judge as options, and I like Fickell and Clawson. And I could talk myself into liking just about anybody. But will they be good? Who the heck knows.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 11:42 AM
Agreed. Just saying, you never really know. I like both Napier and Judge as options, and I like Fickell and Clawson. And I could talk myself into liking just about anybody. But will they be good? Who the heck knows.

Hiring a coach with no recruiting experience and very limited coaching experience screams "we're going with the State guy and he's cheap".

HailStateSZN19
01-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Hiring a coach with no recruiting experience and very limited coaching experience screams "we're going with the State guy and he's cheap".

Cooter, what's your opinion on Fickell if he is a legit candidate?

Would his lack of Southern/SEC connections be a red flag? I personally think he's a damn good coach and would be a great hire. Which means I'm keeping my hopes grounded because he sounds too good to be true.

StateDawg44
01-06-2020, 11:45 AM

I could've won a title with Cam. Just like whatever school he would've chosen to go to. Chiz being selected would take the small doubts I have and just magnify them beyond comprehension.

TrapGame
01-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Joe Judge would be a bigger dice roll than Moorhead.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 11:49 AM
Cooter, what's your opinion on Fickell if he is a legit candidate?

Would his lack of Southern/SEC connections be a red flag? I personally think he's a damn good coach and would be a great hire. Which means I'm keeping my hopes grounded because he sounds too good to be true.

Nope. He's not leaving up north. Turned down good jobs already. Can't see it.

Really Clark?
01-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Nope. He's not leaving up north. Turned down good jobs already. Can't see it.

Yep. Would love to have him but I think that he will stay until a bigger job in the area opens up.