PDA

View Full Version : Billy and Baylor

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 06:50 AM
Have been trying to put the pieces together on Billy and Baylor. Sure we can debate that Baylor is an easier job to win at due to schedule, but that alone still hasn't made it make sense to me that Billy would turn down a $4 mil SEC job at a school that's been to 10 straight bowl games, 3 straight top 25 recruiting classes, and a good young QB for the possibility of interviewing at Baylor. That's outside the norm of rational decision making.

After doing some quick google searches, Billy and his wife both attended and met at Furman, a Baptist affiliated private school, just like Baylor. I wonder if due to where they both went to school, if Baylor has always had a soft spot for them? Would seem to make some sense.

Irondawg
01-06-2020, 07:13 AM
I think that’s possible but also a bit of a stretch. Maybe his wife is a huge Joanna Gaines fan.

My guess is that it’s just easier to win big there and he might view that as a longer term job. I think he’ll interview with us Tuesday while hoping the Baylor job comes open so he can figure out if he’s a serious candidate there.

If he’s not interested that’s fine. We need a coach that wants to be here and is driven to succeed here. If a coach isn’t confident in that then he won’t do well.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 07:35 AM
I think that’s possible but also a bit of a stretch.

My guess is that it’s just easier to win big there and he might view that as a longer term job. I think he’ll interview with us Tuesday while hoping the Baylor job comes open so he can figure out if he’s a serious candidate there

This is my sense as well.

I think he's delaying to see if Baylor opens, but I don't see anyway he turns us down to go back to ULL. I think Rosebowl's rhetoric tonight is basically marching orders to put pressure on the Napier camp. But then again, do we want a guy that's scared ?

Randolph Dupree
01-06-2020, 07:43 AM
I don't think he's scared. Maybe he's trying to get a bidding war going...that's probably the more realistic theory.

ShotgunDawg
01-06-2020, 07:56 AM
I don't think he's scared. Maybe he's trying to get a bidding war going...that's probably the more realistic theory.

Probably correct.

Duggie35
01-06-2020, 08:53 AM
Has anyone considered that Napier may just stay another year at UL, put together another 10-11 win season, and then get an offer from programs that actually have a chance to win a Conference Championship and at some point possibly be in the running for a BCS Playoff birth? That won't happen at MSU.

Tbonewannabe
01-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Has anyone considered that Napier may just stay another year at UL, put together another 10-11 win season, and then get an offer from programs that actually have a chance to win a Conference Championship and at some point possibly be in the running for a BCS Playoff birth? That won't happen at MSU.

Honestly, not sure just another 10-11 win season would get him an offer from a blue blood. He would need a big time win over someone. I don't think beating App State would do it. Now it is possible but Herman was off the Urban coaching tree and he got them ranked. Also this:

On December 31, 2015, Herman led the 14th-ranked Cougars to a 38–24 victory over the 9th-ranked Florida State Seminoles at the Peach Bowl.

And it was still another year at Houston before he was hired by Texas. During the next year at Houston, they won 9 games and this:

In 2016, Herman's second season with Houston, the Cougars slipped to a 9–3 regular-season record. Among their nine wins were victories over Oklahoma and Louisville, each of which was ranked #3 in the AP Poll at the time Houston faced them.

That is the way to get blue blood jobs, beating top 15 ranked teams. Napier might not have that opportunity for a while. He probably needs to take a job like ours or some type of Cincinnati level program to get the opportunity for bigger wins. Now if he gets ULL as the G5 entry into the big bowl games then he certainly has that chance.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 09:07 AM
The Baylor talk is BS. It's a agent posturing. Napier may not end up here, but it's not because of Baylor.

HailStateSZN19
01-06-2020, 09:10 AM
I think the possibility of South Carolina opening up next year is the bigger and more realistic threat for Napier than Baylor is. He's been promised an interview with Baylor should it come open but there's no way he's their #1 choice. They'd have other guys ahead of him more than likely.

Really Clark?
01-06-2020, 09:13 AM
The only way Baylor is in play is if Rhule has already told their AD he is seriously considering an NFL job this cycle and he has had to start putting out feelers to other potential candidates. Or rather his agreeing to the NFL interviews is him letting them know that he is considering them this cycle

Tbonewannabe
01-06-2020, 09:17 AM
I think the possibility of South Carolina opening up next year is the bigger and more realistic threat for Napier than Baylor is. He's been promised an interview with Baylor should it come open but there's no way he's their #1 choice. They'd have other guys ahead of him more than likely.

And SCe isn't a given. Muschamp could always end up with 8-9 or so wins.

HailStateSZN19
01-06-2020, 09:22 AM
And SCe isn't a given. Muschamp could always end up with 8-9 or so wins.

I agree. He's' taking a huge risk if that's his plan and his play. I personally think he's crazy if we have offered him close to or around $4 mil plus the amount for his staff and he turns it down to wait around and hope a specific job opens up next offseason.

I personally don't know what to expect currently. We'll see soon enough.