PDA

View Full Version : On Joe Judge...

CadaverDawg
01-05-2020, 11:13 PM
He May end up being the greatest coach on the planet, but if any other SEC team hired a guy with his resume we'd laugh and say, "well, looks like we don't have to worry about them being on our schedule". So prepare to have our program laughed at for this hire if it ends up being him. Not saying I love it or hate it, just what other fan bases will say.

Can someone post again who his projected staff targets would be? I saw it somewhere but there's a ton of threads mentioning him so hopefully y'all can help me out.

And last, I dont know where this thing will end up, but if Cohen's first two football hires end up being Joe Moorhead and Joe Judge after extensive searches, I will be left feeling the same way I thought about him as baseball coach......Maybe you need to stop overthinking things and trying to put your stamp on every decision as a "great outside the box thinking by Cohen" moment, and just make the obvious decision. Maybe we dont have a real shot at Napier, maybe we do, but this thing is starting to smell of Cohen trying to make the "Im smarter than you" hire. Hopefully it turns out in success for MSU because ultimately I don't care if it's Judge, Napier, Fickell, or Bert Stare, as long as it leads to our football program winning games at a high level. Going to be an interesting next few days.

bluelightstar
01-05-2020, 11:15 PM
I do not think he is qualified to be an SEC head coach right now. That would be rough.

maroonmania
01-05-2020, 11:23 PM
Problem is outside of Napier there isn't really a slam dunk candidate in my book. And when I say slam dunk I just mean would probably be the least risky when going through all the factors. I actually think Hud would be solid but apparently isn't even being interviewed. I really want a guy with some D1 HC experience so we have some basis for how he would run a program.

Todd4State
01-05-2020, 11:28 PM
What do you want Cohen to do? Hire an option guy, a guy with big time character issues, or a Gene Chizik?

Or Joe Judge?

That's pretty much Cohen's options at this point.

maroonmania
01-05-2020, 11:34 PM

Still can't make myself believe that Napier wouldn't want our job. Guess we will find out for sure after tomorrow night.

Anonymous
01-05-2020, 11:47 PM
He's interviewing for NFL head coaching gigs. He is more than qualified to coach State. Hell, if he wasn't an alumni I can't imagine he would give us the time of day, not the other way around.

PMDawg
01-05-2020, 11:50 PM
What do you want Cohen to do? Hire an option guy, a guy with big time character issues, or a Gene Chizik?

Or Joe Judge?

If that's true, then he should have either fired him immediately after the Egg Bowl or kept him for another year.

mstatefan91
01-05-2020, 11:56 PM
Joe Judge wouldn't look our way if he wasn't an alumni. I'm not saying he will be all world but.. the man has Belichick's signature of approval.. damn guys.

KOdawg1
01-06-2020, 12:02 AM
Makes you wonder if we'd been better off just riding it out with Moorhead another year and seeing if the options would be better next year.

mstatefan91
01-06-2020, 12:03 AM
Makes you wonder if we'd been better off just riding it out with Moorhead another year and seeing if the options would be better next year.

We all saw the direction of Moorhead.. don't start that.

Percho
01-06-2020, 12:04 AM

Or Joe Judge?

I want him to do what he did last time. Hire who he believes, along with other consultation, will be the best for MSU. In reality that is the best he can do.

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2020, 12:08 AM

Or Joe Judge?

If this is true, which I doubt, then he screwed up in firing Jomo.

You don’t make the move unless you have your guy picked.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 12:09 AM
We're a GD SEC program and a pretty decent one. In no way is Judge qualified to be our coach. We'll be the damn laughing stock of the conference if that happened. He's easily the least qualified coach we could consider. 17 Cohen if he makes that mistake.

DeltaChicagoDog
01-06-2020, 12:15 AM
We're a GD SEC program and a pretty decent one. In no way is Judge qualified to be our coach. We'll be the damn laughing stock of the conference if that happened. He's easily the least qualified coach we could consider. 17 Cohen if he makes that mistake.

Yep. If Cohen fired an unproven HC only to turn around and hire someone even less proven, he should just go back to coaching baseball. Not saying it absolutely would not work, but JC seems determined to hire someone just like himself - not qualified for the job.

C222
01-06-2020, 12:18 AM

Not qualified to coach us but he?s qualified to be the coach of the New York Giants?? Joe is going to be a superstar head coach for someone someday.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-06-2020, 12:21 AM
He May end up being the greatest coach on the planet, but if any other SEC team hired a guy with his resume we'd laugh and say, "well, looks like we don't have to worry about them being on our schedule". So prepare to have our program laughed at for this hire if it ends up being him. Not saying I love it or hate it, just what other fan bases will say.

Can someone post again who his projected staff targets would be? I saw it somewhere but there's a ton of threads mentioning him so hopefully y'all can help me out.

And last, I dont know where this thing will end up, but if Cohen's first two football hires end up being Joe Moorhead and Joe Judge after extensive searches, I will be left feeling the same way I thought about him as baseball coach......Maybe you need to stop overthinking things and trying to put your stamp on every decision as a "great outside the box thinking by Cohen" moment, and just make the obvious decision. Maybe we dont have a real shot at Napier, maybe we do, but this thing is starting to smell of Cohen trying to make the "Im smarter than you" hire. Hopefully it turns out in success for MSU because ultimately I don't care if it's Judge, Napier, Fickell, or Bert Stare, as long as it leads to our football program winning games at a high level. Going to be an interesting next few days.

This is pretty much EXACTLY why I was against firing Joe from the start. I hope we hire a guy who will win here, but I think we are about to take a huge risk. If the next guy tanks and we fire him after 3 years ( hell maybe 2 or less), we are begging to become Arkansas.

bobcat91
Judge is what a coaching search failure looks like. Simply unforgivable to fire a coach this late in the season without one lined up.

NCDawg
What's wrong with Hudspeth and what has he done to not being considered for HC?

defiantdog
01-06-2020, 12:23 AM
Not qualified to coach us but he?s qualified to be the coach of the New York Giants?? Joe is going to be a superstar head coach for someone someday.

Or maybe it's a courtesy interview from the giants because of their respect for belichick

C222
01-06-2020, 12:24 AM
Judge is what a coaching search failure looks like. Simply unforgivable to fire a coach this late in the season without one lined up.

Now that I agree with but outside of Napier there isn?t shit available. I?d rather take the risk with Judge than hire anyone off any list I?ve seen so far.

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2020, 12:25 AM
Guys, this is Judge’s entire resume:

Mississippi State (2005–2007)
Graduate assistant
Birmingham–Southern (2008)
Linebackers coach
Alabama (2009–2011)
Special teams assistant
New England Patriots (2012–2014)
Special teams assistant
New England Patriots (2015–2018)
Special teams coordinator
New England Patriots (2019–present)
Special teams coordinator/Wide receivers coach

He was a special teams analyst. An analyst for six of these years. For special teams.

He has coached WRs for one year at NE and linebackers at Birmingham Southern.

Guys, we can’t be serious about hiring him as our head football coach.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 12:28 AM
That's a damn courtesy deal. He's doing things necessary to move up in the NFL. Hell, Josh McDaniel is probably getting that job. Judge in no way has a shot.

C222
01-06-2020, 12:29 AM
That's a damn courtesy deal. He's doing things necessary to move up in the NFL. Hell, Josh McDaniel is probably getting that job. Judge in no way has a shot.

And take a guess who Josh McDaniels OC is going to be.

NCDawg
01-06-2020, 12:30 AM

Judge is being considered for HC of the NY Giants. Good possibility that he would also be a good coach for State.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 12:36 AM
And take a guess who Josh McDaniels OC is going to be.

Exactly. And McDaniels will still make most of those play calls.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 12:37 AM
Judge is being considered for HC of the NY Giants. Good possibility that he would also be a good coach for State.

No he's not. He's got no shot at that job.

Todd4State
01-06-2020, 01:34 AM
If that's true, then he should have either fired him immediately after the Egg Bowl or kept him for another year.

Well knowing what we know now Napier would have made us wait anyway.

We can't keep a coach who has lost control of the team.

Let's see how it plays out.

Todd4State
01-06-2020, 01:38 AM
If this is true, which I doubt, then he screwed up in firing Jomo.

You don?t make the move unless you have your guy picked.

Why do people say you don't make a move unless it have your guy? That doesn't make any sense to me. Interviewing people and making it obvious that you had a replacement ready to go is not good business and borderline unethical.

Todd4State
01-06-2020, 01:41 AM
Still can't make myself believe that Napier wouldn't want our job. Guess we will find out for sure after tomorrow night.

True. I can't see Baylor paying more than us based on my research. Assuming the rumors about what we are going to offer are accurate. It's possible that Matt Rhule was making less than Joe. And Baylor is not a blue blood program. Oh and they're about to be on probation.

CadaverDawg
01-06-2020, 01:49 AM
Basically just like most of our fans have fallen for every rumor guys like jwells posts, they have also now let Gene and Steve convince them that Joe Judge is a homerun. They're trying to make us feel better about not landing the guy it should be and getting a plan E guy that is not qualified, and our fans are gobbling that shit up. Joe Judge is still the guy we all said "who?" about, don't let a few days of JortFro telling y'all he's Belicheck and Saban 2.0 warp you're minds.

NCDawg
01-06-2020, 01:49 AM
Well knowing what we know now Napier would have made us wait anyway.

We can't keep a coach who has lost control of the team.

Let's see how it plays out.

I agree. We definitely needed a change in the HC. Hopefully, we can find a good one this time.

yjnkdawg
01-06-2020, 01:51 AM
True. I can't see Baylor paying more than us based on my research. Assuming the rumors about what we are going to offer are accurate. It's possible that Matt Rhule was making less than Joe. And Baylor is not a blue blood program. Oh and they're about to be on probation.

Don't know on the research, but according to a Baylor supporter, Rhule is making $6 million+ after his extension. His salary is supposedly top 6 now in all of college football.

MarketingBully
01-06-2020, 02:24 AM
No he's not. He's got no shot at that job.

Well genius, Napier would have been a hire you would have frowned upon two years ago and he?s only been a head coach for two years. You don?t like Bill Clark who actually has a much better resume then Napier. You don?t like pretty much any coaching candidate out there. Who do you like? I?ve only seen coaches you don?t like which is every coach candidate I?ve seen.

bulldawg28
01-06-2020, 05:50 AM
Joey would bring the fanbase, administration, current and former players together. He's a stand-up guy and a football brain. Our team would show up to play every week!

Santiago
01-06-2020, 05:52 AM
Don't know on the research, but according to a Baylor supporter, Rhule is making $6 million+ after his extension. His salary is supposedly top 6 now in all of college football.

and not to pump up Baylor, but those guys are connected politically in TX as well as financially. They only got into the Big 12 originally because governor Ann Richards was influencing the TX schools joining the newly formed Big 12 and forced Baylor to be included in the formation with the TX schools. MSU is a better program, but Baylor has some pull financially and politically.
edit: I have been part of the site since the early times, but never posted. Sorry for post#1 being about those pricks in TX.

Dawgfan77
01-06-2020, 06:44 AM
Some of y?all putting way to much emphasis on NFL interviews and working with NFL?s coaching. Same organization that owners hired Fred Kitchens and Kingsberry as HCs

Santiago
01-06-2020, 06:55 AM
Some of y?all putting way to much emphasis on NFL interviews and working with NFL?s coaching. Same organization that owners hired Fred Kitchens and Kingsberry as HCs

I like the pumping of the brakes on Judge, but still a fan with his high ceiling. It is that he was groomed by the NFL Goat coach, and has learned organization from him. So the question is how much has he learned and what is his ability to apply it effectively.

msbulldog
01-06-2020, 07:11 AM

Rhule is making 4.1+ Million.

Dawgfan77
01-06-2020, 07:11 AM
I like the pumping of the brakes on Judge, but still a fan with his high ceiling. It is that he was groomed by the NFL Goat coach, and has learned organization from him. So the question is how much has he learned and what is his ability to apply it effectively.
I do not discredit this but what does he know about
Recruiting
Staff alignment
Managing a 105 man roster
Accountability (nfl players are paid)
PR
College football in general. Been away for 7! Years

To many red flags for me to hand over to a 37 year old.

Santiago
01-06-2020, 07:16 AM
I do not discredit this but what does he know about
Recruiting
Staff alignment
Managing a 105 man roster
Accountability (nfl players are paid)
PR
College football in general. Been away for 7! Years

To many red flags for me to hand over to a 37 year old.

I agree and would like to know. I do love the ceiling and potential for him here. And that we won't have to deal with his wife being happy or not etc. Or if he kills it , if he leaves.
That should help in recruiting if he has a good year or 2 out of the gate - that the other schools cannot start rumors of him leaving. So maybe that is a check mark in recruiting in that respect.
Will Hall coming with him is a big plus. Like his offense, and MS connections.
Accountability - I guess it is just an assumption that he gets it, but the BIG plus is that assistant HC from NE that may be coming with him. Forgot his name, but he was a coach at Northern Illinois or somewhere when Bellichek discovered and hired him. If that guy is confirmed coming with him, that is very huge for me.
I do like the support he will have from former players, coaches, and honestly - an alumni network that will see to it that one of our own gets his recruits.

Dawgfan77
01-06-2020, 07:37 AM
I agree and would like to know. I do love the ceiling and potential for him here. And that we won't have to deal with his wife being happy or not etc. Or if he kills it , if he leaves.
That should help in recruiting if he has a good year or 2 out of the gate - that the other schools cannot start rumors of him leaving. So maybe that is a check mark in recruiting in that respect.
Will Hall coming with him is a big plus. Like his offense, and MS connections.
Accountability - I guess it is just an assumption that he gets it, but the BIG plus is that assistant HC from NE that may be coming with him. Forgot his name, but he was a coach at Northern Illinois or somewhere when Bellichek discovered and hired him. If that guy is confirmed coming with him, that is very huge for me.
I do like the support he will have from former players, coaches, and honestly - an alumni network that will see to it that one of our own gets his recruits.

You mean this guy?
https://www.patriots.com/team/coaches-roster/cameron-achord

No thanks

Santiago
01-06-2020, 07:43 AM
You mean this guy?
https://www.patriots.com/team/coaches-roster/cameron-achord

No thanks

No , I was thinking of a guy that was discovered by Belichek from Northern Illinois or somewhere like that , but heck now I cannot find the name.

Dawgfan77
01-06-2020, 07:46 AM
No body on that staff went to N Ill

The link is a guy judge recommended from SWCC. Not a fan of that as an assistant coach.

dawgday166
01-06-2020, 08:29 AM

Our fans laugh at all coaches that get hired nowadays in the SEC. And everyone on our schedule sucks and is an afterthought except for Bama and LSU.

9 to 10 wins every year baby!! ****

Santiago
01-06-2020, 08:37 AM
Our fans laugh at all coaches that get hired nowadays in the SEC. And everyone on our schedule sucks and is an afterthought except for Bama and LSU.

9 to 10 wins every year baby!! ****

YESSIRRRRRRR

chef dixon
01-06-2020, 08:42 AM
The appeal with Judge is are we missing a potential home run hire? Young, State grad, pats/bama experience... he COULD be the perfect coach for us. With that said, its super risky, but so is almost every hire.

msstate7
01-06-2020, 08:45 AM
The appeal with Judge is are we missing a potential home run hire? Young, State grad, pats/bama experience... he COULD be the perfect coach for us. With that said, its super risky, but so is almost every hire.

Go for the 10-team parlay! Haha

MaroonFlounder
01-06-2020, 10:14 AM
Judge's specialty is Special Teams and WRs. The 2 worst areas of this team.

He can reportedly bring in Feld. Strength & Conditioning did not look so strong or conditioned this year.

Rex54
01-06-2020, 10:23 AM
I would be completely on board with Judge... the more I ponder it the closer he gets in my power rankings to Iron Bill.

Head Coach: Joe Judge - 3.3 Million
OC: Hudspeth - 1.06 Million (4x his current salary at AP)
DC: Shoop
S&C - Feld

Lots of $$ left over for solid assistants, recruiting staff... I'd roll with that

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 10:31 AM

He didn't coach at AL. He was a support guy and the asst to the ST coach.
17 Cohen if he makes this hire.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Judge's specialty is Special Teams and WRs. The 2 worst areas of this team.

He can reportedly bring in Feld. Strength & Conditioning did not look so strong or conditioned this year.

1 season as a WR to a terrible WR Corp.

Cooterpoot
01-06-2020, 10:32 AM
I would be completely on board with Judge... the more I ponder it the closer he gets in my power rankings to Iron Bill.

Head Coach: Joe Judge - 3.3 Million
OC: Hudspeth - 1.06 Million (4x his current salary at AP)
DC: Shoop
S&C - Feld

Lots of $$ left over for solid assistants, recruiting staff... I'd roll with that

I can assure you that's not happening.