PDA

View Full Version : Luke Fickell

munk_munk92
01-05-2020, 10:48 PM
What do you guys think about him? Matt mentioned him on his show and i really never thought about him. Looks to be just as good as anyone.

DogsofAnarchy
01-05-2020, 10:50 PM
Good Coach!! Has experience. Love his attitude.

Charlie_Sheen420
01-05-2020, 10:54 PM
I’m all for him, pretty much tops all the others that have been mentioned if Napier is a no go

maroonmania
01-05-2020, 11:04 PM
I’m all for him, pretty much tops all the others that have been mentioned if Napier is a no go

Successful G5 sitting HC in the best G5 conference so I like him.

Maroonthirteen
01-05-2020, 11:08 PM
I actually like him better than anyone else mentioned. Now that would be a great hire.

However I've never considered him a candidate. I assume he is happy where is, a Ohio guy coaching in Ohio, and he is waiting on the Ohio State job. However Day is young.

KOdawg1
01-05-2020, 11:09 PM
Fickell has probably the best resume out of Judge, Grantham, Hud, and the service academy guys.

Can he recruit to the south though? He's been in Ohio his whole life.

Captain Falcon
01-05-2020, 11:10 PM
I actually like him better than anyone else mentioned. Now that would be a great hire.

However I've never considered him a candidate. I assume he is happy where is, a Ohio guy coaching in Ohio, and he is waiting on the Ohio State job. However Day is young.

Fickell is older than Day. He may never get that job if Day continues to win. But Fickell could probably have his pick of the bigger Big 10 jobs too within the next few years. I’m like you, I would LOVE that hire but I don’t know that he is interested in us.

hacker
01-05-2020, 11:10 PM
Right behind Napier for me

hacker
01-05-2020, 11:13 PM
I may be reading too much into it, but I don't think he gave us that name out of the blue for no reason. All the other guys on the list have had interviews or will be interviewed.

maroonmania
01-05-2020, 11:14 PM
Fickell has probably the best resume out of Judge, Grantham, Hud, and the service academy guys.

Can he recruit to the south though? He's been in Ohio his whole life.

Yep, that would be the primary reason he would be behind Napier for me. No connections in the South. Probably has a better overall resume than Napier does.

Maroonthirteen
01-05-2020, 11:18 PM
I may be reading too much into it, but I don't think he gave us that name out of the blue for no reason. All the other guys on the list have had interviews or will be interviewed.

Same. When Matt brought up Fickell..... my first thought was. There has to be a reason. Something he has heard. But.... who knows.

MabenMaroon
01-05-2020, 11:26 PM
Fickell resume wise and w/l's wise would be excellent. He is of the Urban Meyer tree and probably has all the coaching skills to succeed in the SEC West.
But he has never lived or worked outside the state of Ohio and has six children that are currently in school in Cincinnati. Could he and his family fit in with the rural deep south? Could he connect with fanbase and boosters well enough to get through a rocky start? ( Which I fear whoever gets the job will have a rocky start ).
That would/could be a very interesting choice but raises some of the ancillary questions regarding fit.

Really Clark?
01-05-2020, 11:28 PM
Fickell resume wise and w/l's wise would be excellent. He is of the Urban Meyer tree and probably has all the coaching skills to succeed in the SEC West.
But he has never lived or worked outside the state of Ohio and has six children that are currently in school in Cincinnati. Could he and his family fit in with the rural deep south? Could he connect with fanbase and boosters well enough to get through a rocky start? ( Which I fear whoever gets the job will have a rocky start ).
That would/could be a very interesting choice but raises some of the ancillary questions regarding fit.

He is from the John Cooper/Jim Tressel coaching tree actually.

MabenMaroon
01-05-2020, 11:43 PM
Correct , but with a lot of Meyer polish.

PMDawg
01-05-2020, 11:46 PM
I've been saying Fickell since before the Egg Bowl. I'd be happy with him or Napier.

Really Clark?
01-05-2020, 11:48 PM
Correct , but with a lot of Meyer polish.

Eh. I’m sure he learned a good bit from Meyer but he is a defensive guy and DC. It’s not like he was an offensive guy learning Meyer’s offense. Just another tool in box as far as running a program but he learned a lot of that prior to Meyer. He was already very polished as a coach prior to Meyer arriving.

GoToHellOleMiss
01-06-2020, 10:02 AM
https://www.downthedrive.com/2019/10/22/20924569/why-luke-fickell-will-not-leave-cincinnati-after-2019-season

HailStateSZN19
01-06-2020, 10:07 AM
I would be ecstatic with Fickell. Dude just won 11 games in back to back seasons at Cincy. He's a hell of a coach. I think I'd take Napier over him just because of Napier's fit with us and southern/SEC connections. BUT throwing out "fit", I think Fickell might be ahead of him for me. Just how ecstatic I'd be with it would largely depend on the staff he'd bring with him, he'd need some SEC/Southern connections on his staff for recruiting purposes. IF the Napier ship has sailed, Fickell is immediately my #1 choice if he's legit interested. Rosie said on Bo Bounds that Fickell is looking to move on from Cincy and wants a P5 gig and just so happens we're the only one open currently. That might could be a huge boost to our chances with him *hopefully*. I would be super excited if it wound up being Fickell.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
What do you guys think about him? Matt mentioned him on his show and i really never thought about him. Looks to be just as good as anyone.

interviewed last night...He would be my pick

StateDawg44
01-06-2020, 10:14 AM

With this logic, we are limiting OSU's coaching search to Ohio. Why would Fickell not be able to come coach at MSU and prove more he can scrap only to get a call back to OSU? If Day even starts failing.

deadheaddawg
01-06-2020, 10:20 AM
With this logic, we are limiting OSU's coaching search to Ohio. Why would Fickell not be able to come coach at MSU and prove more he can scrap only to get a call back to OSU? If Day even starts failing.

He might not want to come here. He is an Ohio guy. Has never left the state.

I can understand that. I love Mississippi. I personally would never want to live in ohio. If I'm already making $2.2 million in Mississippi, I doubt a raise to $4 million would get me to move to Ohio. I love where I am too much.

I'm not saying that is true with fickle, but if you look at his resume he has never left Ohio. I am guessing there is probably a reason for that

StateDawg44
01-06-2020, 10:38 AM

I can understand that. I love Mississippi. I personally would never want to live in ohio. If I'm already making $2.2 million in Mississippi, I doubt a raise to $4 million would get me to move to Ohio. I love where I am too much.

I'm not saying that is true with fickle, but if you look at his resume he has never left Ohio. I am guessing there is probably a reason for that

Replace MSU in my comment with any team outside of Ohio and it still applies.

I totally understand it too. I was just saying, that logic doesn't really add up necessarily though. My point is, even if he did get a job somewhere else, if OSU came calling there wouldn't be much stopping him from going. Or most any coach who got a call from OSU. Whether he currently lives in Ohio or another state doesn't make a difference.

Fred Garvin
01-06-2020, 10:44 AM

How do we know we wouldn't just be getting another Butch Jones?

HancockCountyDog
01-06-2020, 10:46 AM

Would be a great hire.

BB30
01-06-2020, 10:50 AM
How do we know we wouldn't just be getting another Butch Jones?

You wouldn't know but you're not going to know what you're getting with any hire until he gets here and starts coaching. There is no guarantee with anyone that we will hire unless Urban walks through that door.

confucius say
01-06-2020, 10:53 AM

You would not move to Ohio for 2 million more dollars a year, 8 million over four years?

And I think he would be a great hire. If he can recruit I am not overly worried about southern ties. Joe had none and he recruited pretty well. Recruiting was not joes problem, it was culture and accountability.