01-05-2020, 09:38 PM
He immediately becomes my favorite

PGHBulldogBG
01-05-2020, 09:43 PM
Is this for real? Right to the top of the list for me

Doggie_Style
01-05-2020, 09:44 PM

Not sure I could stomach another Fordham coach...

Charlie_Sheen420
01-05-2020, 09:52 PM
Losing record at wake forest in a weak acc over the past 6 years and pretty much 50/50 his career, I’ll pass. I thought we wanted someone to take us to the next level, if we wanted mediocrity we should have just kept Joe

Big4Dawg
01-05-2020, 09:55 PM
Not impressed by his resume...

Rex54
01-05-2020, 09:55 PM
No

msstate7
01-05-2020, 09:57 PM
Losing record at wake forest in a weak acc over the past 6 years and pretty much 50/50 his career, I’ll pass. I thought we wanted someone to take us to the next level, if we wanted mediocrity we should have just kept Joe

WF is the vandy of the acc. The reason he has an overall losing record at WF is his 1st 2 seasons. He's been to 4 straight bowls there now. WF has 14 total in their 122 year football history.

PGHBulldogBG
01-05-2020, 10:00 PM

He has an overall losing record because he takes over programs that have nothing and make them good. What he has done at WF is next to amazing

gravedigger
01-05-2020, 10:01 PM

Looks like a quality find for me too.

MrKotter
01-05-2020, 10:03 PM
I heard he was getting an interview - any truth to this

Hope not

msstate7
01-05-2020, 10:03 PM
Clawson takes the field most every week with a talent disadvantage, and he's still winning games. This is a quality we need bc we will be outgunned a lot in our conference

DogsofAnarchy
01-05-2020, 10:04 PM
I like him a lot.

msstate7
01-05-2020, 10:07 PM
Total offense finishes in ACC last 3 years:
2017: 2nd
2018: 4th
2019: 3rd

He's had one offensive player taken in the draft during this period; not sure about this upcoming draft

Charlie_Sheen420
01-05-2020, 10:09 PM
Clawson takes the field most every week with a talent disadvantage, and he's still winning games. This is a quality we need bc we will be outgunned a lot in our conference

36-40 in 6 years, and his best year (this one) is because literally the acc is Clemson and everyone else. You put him in the SEC west, we become Vanderbilt without the academic prestige. He’s no James Franklin who was 24-15 his 3 years at Vandy

Political Hack
01-05-2020, 10:09 PM
Total offense finishes in ACC last 3 years:
2017: 2nd
2018: 4th
2019: 3rd

He's had one offensive player taken in the draft during this period; not sure about this upcoming draft

That's impressive.

Cooterpoot
01-05-2020, 10:21 PM
He's ok

Really Clark?
01-05-2020, 10:24 PM
36-40 in 6 years, and his best year (this one) is because literally the acc is Clemson and everyone else. You put him in the SEC west, we become Vanderbilt without the academic prestige. He’s no James Franklin who was 24-15 his 3 years at Vandy

30-22 his last 4 years after rebuilding the program at WF. That’s a really good job.

Cowbell
01-05-2020, 10:28 PM
I just saw where he was listed as one of 5 top Cohen interviews by one of our writers on Twitter

MetEdDawg
01-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Wake Forest is a private Baptist-based university with an enrollment of 8,000. That is NOT easy to recruit to.

Todd4State
01-05-2020, 10:36 PM
Wake Forest started off well and then faded. There are a few Vandy's in the ACC- Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, among others. Several of their wins this year were by one score or less.

.500 coach overall at several stops. I may be wrong but I don't think he is considered a great recruiter either. Seems risky.

Charlie_Sheen420
01-05-2020, 10:42 PM
Wake Forest started off well and then faded. There are a few Vandy's in the ACC- Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia, among others. Several of their wins this year were by one score or less.

.500 coach overall at several stops. I may be wrong but I don't think he is considered a great recruiter either. Seems risky.

Exactly, at multiple stops he’s been pretty much 50/50. If we are trying to get to the next level, I just don’t think he’s the guy. If we want to be at best an 8 win team in a good year...then yeah hire him, but that’s not our goal anymore or so I thought.....

Really Clark?
01-05-2020, 10:50 PM
He is a little above .500 overall but at every stop he rebuilt the programs and is 110-77 (.588 winning percentage) his last 4 season at every stop he has made. That is very good rebuilding jobs at some very tough places that were losing a lot before he got there. Y?all are underselling the jobs he has done at 4 different locations. All with up trends his last 4 years.

PGHBulldogBG
01-05-2020, 11:04 PM
This would be a solid “A” hire by Cohen. Let’s finalize and get it done!

MaroonFlounder
01-06-2020, 09:21 AM
Does Clawson check the box of "someone that loves MSU" like Cohen said?

No connection that I know of....

Dawgface
01-06-2020, 09:27 AM

If that is the main criteria then Judge is the only candidate to meet the requirement. I doubt that was a serious statement by Cohen.

msstate7
01-06-2020, 09:27 AM

Yes, he's our biggest fan! Haha

I wouldn't put that much stock in what Cohen says on stuff like that... remember the "multiple CWSs"?

trojandawg
01-06-2020, 09:29 AM
Not sure if he is the right fit for us.

msstate7
01-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Not sure if he is the right fit for us.

How can you be sure anyone is? The ability to do more with less is something we should look for, and clawson has that. Recruiting question is fair; but keep in mind, Mullen was supposedly horrible at it and Moorhead was an ace, but there was virtually no difference in results... perhaps we (as an sec team) recruit ourselves to ~ 25ish class

trojandawg
01-06-2020, 09:33 AM
I just kind of get a moorhead vibe with his offense and style of play based on what I?ve read and watched.

msstate7
01-06-2020, 09:34 AM
I just kind of get a moorhead vibe with his offense and style of play based on what I?ve read and watched.

Moorhead had multiple NFL players. Clawson has had practically none

trojandawg
01-06-2020, 09:42 AM
That is true and he found a way to make it work after a few seasons. I need whatever coach we get to make a plan with our talent to get the most out of it and go with it and then make adjustments and be creative with it. Find ways to score points and run the football and play action off of it. Get receivers involved. Clawsons offense runs a lot of the same rpo stuff that Moorhead does and predicates itself on the defense. I?m more in tuned to what Napier does and what fickles oc does. Focus on power run spread. Fickle does it straight up a lot like Mullen did. Napier does a lot more window dressing and creativity with motions and different people getting the ball like Malzahn and Satterfield. Clawsons offense to me just seems very similar to what Moorhead tried to run here. I?m not very keen on that right now.

MrKotter
01-06-2020, 09:49 AM
If you want a mediocre coach then Clawson is your man. His resume is a lot like Moorhead's, pad stats on the weaker opponents, get the crap kicked out of you against real competition and lose a couple every year you shouldn't. Hope he stays at WF

Really Clark?
01-06-2020, 10:01 AM
That is true and he found a way to make it work after a few seasons. I need whatever coach we get to make a plan with our talent to get the most out of it and go with it and then make adjustments and be creative with it. Find ways to score points and run the football and play action off of it. Get receivers involved. Clawsons offense runs a lot of the same rpo stuff that Moorhead does and predicates itself on the defense. I?m more in tuned to what Napier does and what fickles oc does. Focus on power run spread. Fickle does it straight up a lot like Mullen did. Napier does a lot more window dressing and creativity with motions and different people getting the ball like Malzahn and Satterfield. Clawsons offense to me just seems very similar to what Moorhead tried to run here. I?m not very keen on that right now.

Disagree that Clawson’s offense is very similar to Moorehead. Especially the passing game. It’s more short routes and quick hitters with his routes. I also wonder how many more games they might have won a few years ago if his assistant wasn’t selling out their game plans to Petrino and other teams. That hurt them as well. Probably not a huge difference but another win or two and he may have broke through the 8 wins before 2017. Reading an article about him and trying to figure out how good of a recruiter he might be but in his one year at Tenn when Fulmer tanked he still had Tajah Boyd and Bryce Perry committed in his one year. That’s pretty good.

Johnson85
01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Losing record at wake forest in a weak acc over the past 6 years and pretty much 50/50 his career, I?ll pass. I thought we wanted someone to take us to the next level, if we wanted mediocrity we should have just kept Joe

If Joe was mediocre (by SEC HC standards), he would still be here. I haven't talked to Cohen, but I am guessing what we want for this next hire more than anything is to avoid disaster. Clausen looks like a pretty safe hire. The ACC has been shit lately, but it's still P5 and he's doing a pretty good job overcoming some disadvantages. I guess the argument against that is that a good coach would have Wake Forest looking like Baylor, another baptist school in a shitty conference. But Baylor was willing to look the other way on sexual assault by players. Not sure the Wake Forest admin is quite that committed.

Really Clark?
01-06-2020, 10:09 AM
If you want a mediocre coach then Clawson is your man. His resume is a lot like Moorhead's, pad stats on the weaker opponents, get the crap kicked out of you against real competition and lose a couple every year you shouldn't. Hope he stays at WF

Don’t know about that. They averaged 29.3 points per game vs FBS winning teams and 27 points this season. We averaged 16.8 last season and 23.9 this year.

PGHBulldogBG
01-06-2020, 01:20 PM
All this Napier love and we should’ve been going hard after Clawson right away if there was any interest. Clawson is what Mississippi State needs. A coach that gets the most out of the talent on the roster. He wins 4-5 games a year in games where he is out talented. If he did that at MSU we could have 10 or 11 wins a lot more than just once a decade

tcdog70
01-06-2020, 01:54 PM
Ha, ha. You guys kill Me. Hell no we don't want this guy. He sucks in the weak ass ACC. HUD has triple the resume' that this dude. JJ -Iron Billy or HUD. Those would work fine. Shit Bill Clark before this Wake Forest Coach.