PDA

View Full Version : Someone tell me this about Napier

MetEdDawg
01-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Let's say he's taken our job or has interest. And his primary and sole goal is to keep his team motivated and undistracted by any and all outside stimuli.

If someone asks him the question "Are you interested in the MSU job or have you been contacted by anyone from MSU", what would you expect him to say other than what he said today? Remember, his primary focus is his kids he's coaching. Nothing else. Not public perception, not another job. He's a man committed to finishing the job he started and trying to maximize what he gets out of those kids.

What would you have expected him to say to not allow more talk and rumor in??

bulldawg28
01-05-2020, 02:49 PM
My only focus is my team.

deadheaddawg
01-05-2020, 02:51 PM
Pick any of Dan ******* responses he used

MetEdDawg
01-05-2020, 02:51 PM
My only focus is my team.

So he doesn't answer the question?

Perfect response if you want to do EXACTLY what you are trying not to do. Because guess what someone is going to follow that up with? Coach you didn't answer the question. Can you give us a definitive answer on whether or not you are interested in MSU or if you've been contacted by them?

HoopsDawg
01-05-2020, 02:52 PM
I'm focused on the bowl game. We want to finish what we started. Everything else is just noise. I will evaluate everything after the season is over.

When a reporter asks a follow up, "I'm not going to comment on anything else except the bowl game.?

ScoobaDawg
01-05-2020, 02:53 PM
The only correct answer right now is a lie that kills the talk. It will look negative to the common fan but it's just coach speak. It's what has to be done until the end of the bowl game.

MetEdDawg
I'm focused on the bowl game. We want to finish what we started. Everything else is just noise. I will evaluate everything after the season is over.

When a reporter asks a follow up, "I'm not going to comment on anything else except the bowl game.?

Coach you said evaluate everything after the season is over? Sounds like you're at least considering leaving if an opportunity presents itself.

KOdawg1
You Dan Mullen that bish. Saying "I am not a candidate" leads me to believe he's not a candidate.

Cowbell
01-05-2020, 02:56 PM
If he was truly not a candidate, he would have said something earlier.

MetEdDawg
01-05-2020, 02:58 PM
If he was truly not a candidate, he would have said something earlier.

Avoiding the media for 2 days didn't help the look. And there's an easy way for him to spin this. He can say he was contacted Tuesday by us and came to terms.

Or he can say whatever the hell he wants. ULL knows they aren't going to keep him forever. And he didn't sign that extension. Him saying he's not a candidate is a beautiful response to eventually become a candidate at a later date and take the job.

HoopsDawg
01-05-2020, 02:59 PM
Coach you said evaluate everything after the season is over? Sounds like you're at least considering leaving if an opportunity presents itself.

I'm focusing on the bowl game. I always evaluate everything after the season is over.

RiverCityDawg
01-05-2020, 03:01 PM

Yep, the Twitter headline would be "Napier mum on MSU job" or "Napier doesn't deny interest in other opportunities".

yjnkdawg
01-05-2020, 03:06 PM
Let's say he's taken our job or has interest. And his primary and sole goal is to keep his team motivated and undistracted by any and all outside stimuli.

If someone asks him the question "Are you interested in the MSU job or have you been contacted by anyone from MSU", what would you expect him to say other than what he said today? Remember, his primary focus is his kids he's coaching. Nothing else. Not public perception, not another job. He's a man committed to finishing the job he started and trying to maximize what he gets out of those kids.

Just what he said. That was the only thing that would get the media off his back and shut them up for now so he can focus solely on the bowl and the 11 win season. Some people on here go into panic attack 101 though.

deadheaddawg
01-05-2020, 03:09 PM
I wonder what he would say if he wasn't a candidate?

I bet he would say something like "I'm not a candidate"

Bert Stare
01-05-2020, 03:10 PM

👀

MetEdDawg
01-05-2020, 03:13 PM
I wonder what he would say if he wasn't a candidate?

I bet he would say something like "I'm not a candidate"

Here's a fun game. 2 days before Nick Saban took the Alabama job, Nick Saban said "I will not be the head coach at Alabama. So by your take Nick Saban was not a candidate for the Alabama job.

Billy Napier coached under Nick Saban. Think maybe he learned a little something from the ole boss man? Would be shocked if he hasn't already talked to him and asked for his advice honestly about this situation.

MetEdDawg
01-05-2020, 03:14 PM
I'm focusing on the bowl game. I always evaluate everything after the season is over.

So you're telling us here and now that you will consider leaving at the end of the season?

Topbulldawg
01-05-2020, 03:20 PM
So you're telling us here and now that you will consider leaving at the end of the season?

The media doesn't interrogate coaches like you are describing. They may ask one follow-up question, but they don't grill them like you are saying. If I was a coach I would respond "I never said that, you are putting words in my mouth. Next question from someone else about the bowl game"

RiverCityDawg
01-05-2020, 03:25 PM
The media doesn't interrogate coaches like you are describing. They may ask one follow-up question, but they don't grill them like you are saying. If I was a coach I would respond "I never said that, you are putting words in my mouth. Next question from someone else about the bowl game"

He was literally just interrogated like that on the radio just a couple days ago. He evaded the question twice and finally had to say "We're focusing on winning a bowl game so we better just leave it at that." Clearly that response didn't achieve the goal of media leaving it at that.

Topbulldawg
01-05-2020, 03:30 PM
He was literally just interrogated like that on the radio just a couple days ago. He evaded the question twice and finally had to say "We're focusing on winning a bowl game so we better just leave it at that." Clearly that response didn't achieve the goal of media leaving it at that.

Well asking more questions is different than putting words in someone's mouth and trying to get them to agree with you. Media members will quickly lose access if they start doing that. I didn't hear the radio interview so I can't speak to what was said.

MetEdDawg
01-05-2020, 03:34 PM
Well asking more questions is different than putting words in someone's mouth and trying to get them to agree with you. Media members will quickly lose access if they start doing that. I didn't hear the radio interview so I can't speak to what was said.

You must not read literally anything from sports media anymore. They literally pick apart everything someone says and they extrapolate. Saying you will evaluate everything after the season means someone is going to take you literally. You are going to evaluate everything, including potentially leaving and taking another job. They won't say you said it, but by saying you will consider everything that opens the door for the media to go whatever direction they want.

By him saying he's not a candidate, not only can the media not disprove that, but they can't say he's a liar because he can become a candidate later. He literally could become a candidate 5 minutes after that conference. He puts himself in the drivers seat saying what he did which is EXACTLY what he's trying to do.

OLJWales
01-05-2020, 03:36 PM
When the media asks him these types of questions, it's like someone busting into your office while having a meeting with your boss and asking if you've decided to move on to your company's competitor.

dantheman4248
01-05-2020, 03:39 PM
You Dan Mullen that bish. Saying "I am not a candidate" leads me to believe he's not a candidate.

Well if you're a player for ULL then his plan worked.