PDA

View Full Version : Why Napier is the correct choice

KOdawg1
01-05-2020, 01:17 PM
I think it's safe to say the majority of this board believes Napier is the best option for our HC, but as I look on Twitter and other boards, I see people wanting Hud or Joe Judge just for the sake of them being connected to our program in the past. That's an emotional way of looking at things, which is a trait our fanbase tends to have (see Gary Henderson in 2018).

I read this article (https://www.si.com/college/2018/07/18/billy-napier-louisiana-lafayette-nick-saban) which details how Napier runs his program. Feel free to read it yourself if you want, but I'll offer a cliff notes version:

-He basically runs a mini-Alabama. There are multiple non-football staffers tasked with various, specific jobs (which explains why a Napier staff costs some change.) He has two strength coaches, multiple strength interns, three nutritionists, and more than a dozen others running around the building. The nutrition budget itself went from non-existent to $1.5 million.

-His strength program is intense. They break the conditioning into 8 phases throughout the year, and the winter's workouts mirror Saban's "Fourth Quarter Program" that he used at LSU. ULL's strength coach is Mark Hocke who has SEC experience at Alabama, Georgia and Texas A&M, as well as Florida State. You'd have to think Napier would bring Hocke with him if he made the move to Starkville.

-Billy uses the same practice structure as Saban called "two-spotting" which breaks the roster into four squads that can scrimmage simultaneously to increase and maximize reps for everyone. Instead of 22 guys getting reps while everyone else is watching, 44 guys are participating and getting reps. He also has a big walk-on system that maximizes reps as well.

-Finally, his offense fits our recruiting footprint. He runs TGDF. It resembles Malzahn's offense in some ways. It's an offense that'll work here. Hell, he'll run I-formation in 3rd and 1. That's enough for me.

He checks all of the boxes.

Southern ties- check (grew up in Georgia, coached/played in South Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana)

Pedigree - check (coached under Dabo and Saban; the best two in the game right now)

Recruiting - check

System - check

Coordinator experience - check

HC experience - only 2 years but check

He's our guy. He fits us like Kiffin fits Ole Miss. Pay him what he wants and let's roll.

KOdawg1
01-05-2020, 01:30 PM
Figures that he would come out and directly say that he's not coming while I'm typing this thread. Disregard