PDA

View Full Version : Howland

CJDAWG85
01-04-2020, 06:21 PM
Same BS different year. And he wonders why no one supports MBB. Get his ass out of here now.

confucius say
01-04-2020, 06:30 PM
He gets the rest of this year. But thats it. He just Doesnt get the most out of the talent. This team likely will not make the tourney barring going in a tear, and that is a horrible coaching job with 5 and 4 stars all over the floor.

CJDAWG85
01-04-2020, 06:32 PM
Game has passed him by. He gets out coached every game.

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 06:35 PM
17 this shit. He's lazy and has no energy or any knowledge of how things are done these days to be an elite team. God what I'd give to have a competent floor coach that had 2 (5) stars and 3 (4) stars in the starting line up. There are so many coaches who would be foaming at the bit to have this bunch to coach.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2020, 06:35 PM
We have 2 5*s and neither are Fr. The rest if our lineup is 4* and none if them are Fr either.

We have 2 true So, 1 true Jr, 1 RS Jr, and 1 RS Sr. Theres a ton of experience to go along with the talent.

Howland gets credit for getting it here, but its abundantly clear hes reached his ceiling here.

At this point dare I say making the tournament will harm the program overall? If we make it Howland is back but we'll never do better under him. If we must it he'll probably be fired and we get fresh blood.... go ahead, tell me in not a State fan and I'm horrible. I'm just spitballing here

AROB44
01-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Nope....we got beat by a better team. Typical over reaction on here.

mparkerfd20
01-04-2020, 06:40 PM
Over reaction my ass. Name one game since Howland has been here where he actually coached worth a shit? One!

CJDAWG85
01-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Over reaction my ass. Name one game since Howland has been here where he actually coached worth a shit? One!

Bingo

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 06:45 PM

At what point to you hold this mother17er accountable? we were at 17ing home as a 1.5 Dog. Did it look like that to you? what about La Tech? NMSU? You think we are getting a good job done here? what the 17 tells you we are?

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2020, 06:48 PM
Yeah I have seen enough. Im no basketball expert but we have 0 offense and their is about 10 minutes each game we play with no effort

Jacksondevildog
01-04-2020, 06:48 PM
We have some fans that are just happy that we have pretty uniforms and show up to play with our fight song playing in the background. Results be damned.

mstatefan91
01-04-2020, 06:50 PM
We got beat by a better team.. you guys are over the top. We'll be fine.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-04-2020, 06:51 PM
17 this shit. He's lazy and has no energy or any knowledge of how things are done these days to be an elite team. God what I'd give to have a competent floor coach that had 2 (5) stars and 3 (4) stars in the starting line up. There are so many coaches who would be foaming at the bit to have this bunch to coach.

Kind of like all the coaches that are dying to coach the football team?

DawgFromOxford
01-04-2020, 06:52 PM

I have no problem getting beat by a better team as long as we play competent basketball. We constantly see the same thing in most games though. Great offensive play for about 5 minutes and then streaks of absolute head scratchers that are momentum killers. It makes it tough to truly buy into the team and the program when they never have a big defining win to say "we've finally turned the corner! MSU basketball is back!"

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 06:54 PM
Kind of like all the coaches that are dying to coach the football team?

You really don't understand too many things, do you.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 06:56 PM
2 guard recruiting has killed us. Haven't signed one in the last 4 classes. Really should have hit the portal this offseason to find a 6-3, 6-4 guy that could knock down shots. That's going to be the difference this year unless Carter can get it going.

THE Bruce Dickinson
01-04-2020, 06:57 PM
You really don't understand too many things, do you.

I understand a delusional fan when I see one.

Lose a game in any sport = fire coach. I will try to fall in line next time.

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 06:58 PM
2 guard recruiting has killed us. Haven't signed one in the last 4 classes. Really should have hit the portal this offseason to find a 6-3, 6-4 guy that could knock down shots. That's going to be the difference this year unless Carter can get it going.

Yea, our recruiting has really sucked. we just don't have the talent. too bad we missed out on some kids that would really have made a difference. ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 06:58 PM

Team is the key word here. Talent wise ... no.

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 06:59 PM

ONE game? surely you jest.

CJDAWG85
01-04-2020, 07:00 PM
Everyone else is packing their arenas with new coaches. Howland sucks the life out of the arena and everyone leaves pissed off. It’s time for him to go. If he can’t get this going by now, he’s not going to.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 07:02 PM

A rare agreement with Bruce. We can all be pissed about that performance, but calling for Howland to be fired is ridiculous. He has resurrected us from the dead.

THE Bruce Dickinson

I agree. We lack a reliable shooter from 3 point range. I don't know where we finished tonight, but at one point we were 2/11. That's not going to get it done against elite competition.

OLJWales
Everyone else is packing their arenas with new coaches. Howland sucks the life out of the arena and everyone leaves pissed off. It’s time for him to go. If he can’t get this going by now, he’s not going to.

Cohen, time to get going again. earn your paycheck and do what is needed. NOW.

gravedigger

You are wrestling a pig in mud

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Yea, our recruiting has really sucked. we just don't have the talent. too bad we missed out on some kids that would really have made a difference. ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

Yikes, you either didn't read my post, are you are just being a child.

Our 2 guard play was the difference today.

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 07:04 PM

Yes, Howland has not added much life to our program. We should expect more. There's a reason the HUMP no longer rocks. It used to, what are we willing and capable of doing to get that back?

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 07:04 PM
I agree. We lack a reliable shooter from 3 point range. I don't know where we finished tonight, but at one point we were 2/11. That's not going to get it done against elite competition.

Carter was 1-11. His backup, DJ Stewart, is not a true 2 guard. He's more of a slasher. We haven't signed a 2 guard since Carter really.

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 07:05 PM
Yikes, you either didn't read my post, are you are just being a child.

Our 2 guard play was the difference today.

and what's the 17ing reason / excuse for the next game? and the next after that? how much more can we 17ing take? 17 this shit man, enough already.

JPdog
01-04-2020, 07:44 PM
For those of you who want him gone, who could we possibly even get that would be better than him? Our basketball job is not very attractive compared to the rest of the SEC, especially considering our lack of fan support for almost a decade now.

Cloak
01-04-2020, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I'm on the keep Howland train. Feels like we've been headed in the right direction, just haven't seen results.

Bothrops
01-04-2020, 07:47 PM
Whoever said the game has passed him by is correct. I want Dick to be ready next year.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 07:55 PM
and what's the 17ing reason / excuse for the next game? and the next after that? how much more can we 17ing take? 17 this shit man, enough already.

We went to the NCAA tourney last year bud. That was the SEC game 1. I still think we make it this year.

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 08:02 PM
We went to the NCAA tourney last year bud. That was the SEC game 1. I still think we make it this year.

"think" ? what about "should" ? if you would have predicted his performance to date, would you have taken it on day 1? Wishful thinking about the tourney has passed the MSU / Howland stage and gone long by. There is NO reason why we should not expect a rocking hump with a competitive team. AU has passed us by and so have others. what are you waiting on? losses at home to La Tech? oh wait. ....

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 08:05 PM
Calm down some Josey. Not ready for you to not like Howland enough so he ain't around much longer ***

BB30
01-04-2020, 08:05 PM

This team is about to go on a little streak and they will be in the tourney. Do you expect duke like results or what?

Hell we made the tourney for the first time in a decade last year. Who are you going to go out and hire? He gets this year and next at a minimum.

I thought the team played fairly well against a top ten team just let it get away from them. nick Just got back this team will be fine.

Cowbell
01-04-2020, 08:06 PM

Hahaha - how many times have I heard this in multiple sports the last two years

BB30
01-04-2020, 08:08 PM

If your that upset quit supporting the team and watching them. Simple solution for you. This hobby is clearly unhealthy for you.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2020, 08:09 PM
I used up all my "FIRE HIS ASS!" energy on Joe....I can't help with the Howland shit at this time.

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 08:09 PM
The question boils down to whether or not the team belongs to the coaches, players and athletic personnel or does it belong to the fans? Surely, no one in their right mind expects a program to be run by fan voting, we all get that. But when a team is coached and played on the good ship lollipop fashion, changes need to be considered. Howland has been riding on the Good Ship Lollipop and the fans should not be automatically expected to board it.

BB30
01-04-2020, 08:11 PM
Hahaha - how many times have I heard this in multiple sports the last two years

Probably a lot since the better team wins in sports most of the time. I guess you’re new to this sports thing... or are you arguing that Auburn isn’t the more talented team?

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
01-04-2020, 08:14 PM
My take isi if he gets this team to the tourney he stays if not fire his ass💯‼️

BB30
01-04-2020, 08:15 PM
The question boils down to whether or not the team belongs to the coaches, players and athletic personnel or does it belong to the fans? Surely, no one in their right mind expects a program to be run by fan voting, we all get that. But when a team is coached and played on the good ship lollipop fashion, changes need to be considered. Howland has been riding on the Good Ship Lollipop and the fans should not be automatically expected to board it.

The dude has been incrementally better every season he’s been here... what are your expectations for our basketball program? And not just not losing to teams like New Mexico State because every basketball team in the country drops a game they shouldn’t from time to time. Ky dropped one this year and south Carolina dropped a horrible one after beating uva.

So perennial tourney team? Perennial top 10 team? What are your expectations? Let’s see if you live in fantasy land or not.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2020, 08:35 PM
Anyone saying we'll improve our play and make the tourney is just being a blind optimist: NOTHING about our play to this point or Howland teams in the past indicate we're going to go on a tear to end the year. If we were starting Fr who were gaining experience and starting to gel at least you could say they'll get better, but this team is very experienced.

Moreover anyone saying we should keep Howland because he saved our program needs to ask yourself this: do you care more about Howland, or State? Because what's "fair" or "owed" to Howland is irrelevant if he's no longer the best option for us. Ot should have zero bearing on the discussion. Like Bobby Bowden or Sneider, we should be careful not to let bad coaches hang around because they "deserve" it.

And anyone saying Howland teams get better each year is clearly not remembering last years team: they were a 5 seed, this years team will probably miss the tournament. This years team SHOULD be better but it's not.

Lastly let me ask you this: do you ever think we'll field a team more talented than 2 5* and 3 4*? Do you ever think we'll have such talent that's also all experienced players?

No. It seems unlikely we'll get such talent and experience again. So why would we think future Howland teams will be better than this one?

Is that seriously OK to y'all? To get bounced in the first round, and then not make the tourney? That's his ceiling here. Theres no reason to think it'll get better. There's no injuries, no off field drama, no cancer in the locker room, no poorly developed Ray coached guys, this is Howlands ceiling.

So no, I dont have another guy lined up because I dont follow basketball that much. Howland is a great recruiter but he gets outcoached every game even by .500 mid majors. Its Ckhens job to have scouted out good coaches, it's my job as a fan to say if I'm happy with that I'm seeing on the court.

I want more from State Basketball, and I won't accept mediocrity as a ceiling. If you can twist that into "you're not a real State fan!" then so be it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2020, 08:38 PM
Probably a lot since the better team wins in sports most of the time. I guess you’re new to this sports thing... or are you arguing that Auburn isn’t the more talented team?

Lol no Aubirn isnt more talented. Ado and Perry could have dominated if we had any semblance of an offensive gameplan.

We have 2 5* and 3 4*, none of whom are inexperienced Fr. What's Auburn got?

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 08:39 PM
I'm just saying it's too soon to get rid of Howland. This is his 5th year. He's not doing as good as he has historically after taking over a program, but he still is kinda doing ok. Wait and see what happens this year and next maybe. I will say it is somewhat agonizing watching his teams at times tho.

timotheus
01-04-2020, 08:40 PM
I got 3 words for you on Howland and this team- N I T

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 08:42 PM
I got 3 words for you on Howland and this team- N I T

That's 3 letters. And would be a crime for sure.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2020, 08:44 PM
I'm just saying it's too soon to get rid of Howland. This is his 5th year. He's not doing as good as he has historically after taking over a program, but he still is kinda doing ok. Wait and see what happens this year and next maybe. I will say it is somewhat agonizing watching his teams at times tho.

Of for sure you let him finish the year and see if he can make the tourney, I'm not saying fire him today. But like I said, nothing about Howland here makes me think the team will suddenly get better, or is capable of elevating our play and going on a run like Auburn did in the tourney. What's howlands signature win? What's his best run while here? We are a decent team in each game -sometimes bad- but never great.

I just see zero indication theres anything more left in the tank for Howland, that after 4.5 years of bad Os and sloppy play we'll look competent on O and stop missing rotations on D etc. This and last year seems to be what Howland is

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 08:46 PM
Of for sure you let him finish the year and see if he can make the tourney, I'm not saying fire him today. But like I said, nothing about Howland here makes me think the team will suddenly get better, or is capable of elevating our play and going on a run like Auburn did in the tourney. What's howlands signature win? What's his best run while here? We are a decent team in each game -sometimes bad- but never great.

I just see zero indication theres anything more left in the tank for Howland, that after 4.5 years of bad Os and sloppy play we'll look competent on O and stop missing rotations on D etc. This and last year seems to be what Howland is

Can't argue any of that right now. Had a couple of good wins and we beat AU last year. But it is hard to get too excited over.

Charlie_Sheen420
01-04-2020, 08:48 PM
I think Howland is basically Stansbury 2.0 at this point, can bring in talent but can’t coach it, will never make the sweet 16, just my thoughts

maroonmania
01-04-2020, 10:37 PM

Well no duh, and a huge reason they are better is because they are better coached and better prepared.

Cowbell
01-04-2020, 11:54 PM

New to sports...LOL....if you only new...

Tell me the last time this team didn't underperform for atleast a solid half of basketball. Getting beat by a better team is not an excuse for leaving guys completely alone on the perimeter, missing free throws, and not having any resemblance of offensive spark and creativity. We were a 1.5 point underdog and lost by how many?

RougeDawg
01-05-2020, 10:55 AM
We shot 33% yesterday. It is hard to beat anyone with that type of shooting, let alone a final 4 team from a year ago. We held our own with them, despite the cold shooting.

Everyone calm down until we see what happens. If we keep shooting sub 40%, a change may be warranted, but I do not expect it.

Our defense held them to 41% and we did not give up the threes that Auburn usually hits. Was a bad game all around, but we are not far off.

Have to win in Tuscaloosa Wednesday night.