PDA

View Full Version : Devin Booker to Kentucky

coastdoglover
10-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Calipari keeps reeling them in

Political Hack
10-31-2013, 03:11 PM
he's going to get whoever he wants from this point forward. He's built a one year tryout system for nba bound players.

BeastMan
10-31-2013, 03:18 PM
I don't think Ray's recruiting has been bad but you look at Booker and Newman and see 2 guys that are program changers in your state. We're 0-1 as of now.

slickdawg
10-31-2013, 03:28 PM
What Kentucky lacks for in football, they more than make up for in basketball.

C222
10-31-2013, 03:30 PM
I don't think Ray's recruiting has been bad but you look at Booker and Newman and see 2 guys that are program changers in your state. We're 0-1 as of now.

We were never in it with it Booker. I dont think you can count this against Ray. Devin grew up in Michigan. His dad went to Missouri. He was never coming to MSU no matter who our coach was.

Raytoraid83
10-31-2013, 03:30 PM

Bookers not originally from mississippi and he's always wanted to play for a Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan type program. Even stansburys method of recruiting wouldn't have worked on him

BeastMan
10-31-2013, 03:38 PM
I know the story. I just want to land top players.

Coach34
10-31-2013, 04:37 PM

Kentucky has made Newman an offer I dont think he can refuse as well. Just a battle that's damn near impossible to win

MarketingBully01
10-31-2013, 04:48 PM
I thought we had a good chance with him coach? What changed?

Coach34
10-31-2013, 04:51 PM
Big Blue Machine doing what it do

Raytoraid83
10-31-2013, 05:11 PM
I thought we had a good chance with him coach? What changed?

It would take a word that's not used in Starkville anymore. (Cheating)

bully99
10-31-2013, 05:29 PM
Just how corrupt was Stansbury. Finebaum once said years ago the NCAA should just homestead outside Stansbury's office. He often implied widespread cheating at State. Of course I think Mark Gottfried was telling him crap in his ear.

woozman
10-31-2013, 05:37 PM
We were never in it with it Booker. I dont think you can count this against Ray. Devin grew up in Michigan. His dad went to Missouri. He was never coming to MSU no matter who our coach was.

Yep, he wasn't going to school in MS. Even though he lives in MP, he isn't a "Mississippi guy"...

coastdoglover
10-31-2013, 07:40 PM
Just how corrupt was Stansbury. Finebaum once said years ago the NCAA should just homestead outside Stansbury's office. He often implied widespread cheating at State. Of course I think Mark Gottfried was telling him crap in his ear.

He was never implicated in any cheating. I can assure you Gottfried cheated and he got pissed when we signed some kids he wanted. We will never know if Stans could have gotten Booker so it is a moot point. I do know this, if we don't get Newman or Booker, then it is pretty obvious we don't have a recruiter now. And by the way, if Finebaum thinks Saban is lily white in recruiting, then he is completely na?ve.

Homedawg
10-31-2013, 07:44 PM
He was never implicated in any cheating. I can assure you Gottfried cheated and he got pissed when we signed some kids he wanted. We will never know if Stans could have gotten Booker so it is a moot point. I do know this, if we don't get Newman or Booker, then it is pretty obvious we don't have a recruiter now. And by the way, if Finebaum thinks Saban is lily white in recruiting, then he is completely na?ve.

So when Stan's didn't get darius rice or Antonio mcdyees he couldn't recruit either? Just sayin. I think Stan's was a good recruiter. However he didn't land em all and actually in state he lost his share.

engie
10-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Let's give Ray a few years before we label what he can and can't be.

Alot of coaches out there that have systems that win at a high level without necessarily bringing in discovered, elite talent. What would have happened if we had recruited unrated Isaiah Canaan instead of Shaunessy Smith in 09? There's a million examples of this every year.

Ultimately, as I've said before, I expect to see marked improvement this year -- and in year 3, my expectations for him = Stansbury expectations. It doesn't take any longer than that to build a basketball team -- and if we aren't an NCAA bubble team at least by then, I'll be very concerned. If we aren't there in year 4, it'll be time to go a different direction. Probably at athletics director as well...

Coach34
10-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Just how corrupt was Stansbury..

Stands was Freezus without the Billy Graham facade

HoopsDawg
10-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Stands was Freezus without the Billy Graham facade

Yes, but like Freezus, Stans worked his ass off in recruiting. No one outworked him.

Coach34
10-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Yes, but like Freezus, Stans worked his ass off in recruiting. No one outworked him.

absolutely- Stands was a recruiting warrior. He got his network set-up and he did a damn good job over the years for the most part

Dawg61
10-31-2013, 10:05 PM
It would take a word that's not used in Starkville anymore. (Cheating)

Kentucky doesn't have to cheat. All it takes for them is to walk a recruit down the hallway showing off all the NBA first rounders and how much money they have signed for in the NBA AND the shoe contracts they get. D Rose has made more than $350 million alone on just Adidas.

I seen it dawg
10-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Too bad he sucked at actually coaching.

Coach34
10-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Kentucky doesn't have to cheat. .

I hope you are just being naive. Shirley you dont think Saban just points to guys and makes them sign as well.

Kentucky has made Cam Newton money look like pocket change for Newman

HoopsDawg
10-31-2013, 10:40 PM
I hope you are just being naive. Shirley you dont think Saban just points to guys and makes them sign as well.

Haha, Cal leaves a trail of sanctions in his dust. They may be the dirtiest program in all of sports.

Dawg61
10-31-2013, 10:47 PM

I'm sure they bend the rules like crazy but all they have to do is show them the date the players signed UK and then less than 2 years later the dollar amounts next to their names. Basketball is different from football. The players only have to play one year before they get their megabucks. UK guarantees megabucks. Plus they only need 5-6 players a year.

Coach34
10-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Basketball is different from football.

You got that right- it's much dirtier

Kentucky is giving these kids insane amounts of money to sign. Why? Cause if they dont- Duke, NC, Kansas, UConn, etc will....

Dawg61
10-31-2013, 10:57 PM

Kentucky is giving these kids insane amounts of money to sign. Why? Cause if they dont- Duke, NC, Kansas, UConn, etc will....

Oh they are giving them millions each. They just time stamp the checks for 1 year later.

Coach34
10-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Oh they are giving them millions each. They just time stamp the checks for 1 year later.

You are looking at this like a white kid from the burbs. Not a kid from the tough part of town that has 3 pair of jeans to his name, family has no car, and they are broke as ****. They are getting offered money by all the big schools- as well as getting tie ins to Nike or Addidas after college. They arent signing for free. Thats where AAU comes in and where the money if funneled in. Boosters can "sponsor" AAU teams all they want- it's legal and cant be stopped.

When I'm telling Kentucky has made an offer- they have made an offer.

Dawg61
10-31-2013, 11:11 PM
You are looking at this like a white kid from the burbs. Not a kid from the tough part of town that has 3 pair of jeans to his name, family has no car, and they are broke as ****. They are getting offered money by all the big schools- as well as getting tie ins to Nike or Addidas after college. They arent signing for free. Thats where AAU comes in and where the money if funneled in. Boosters can "sponsor" AAU teams all they want- it's legal and cant be stopped.

When I'm telling Kentucky has made an offer- they have made an offer.

I am a white kid from the burbs haha and the reason UK is getting these players is not from the money they give them (which they do) in high school and college it's because they have a guarantee they are giving them for the mega millions AFTER they leave. No other school can guarantee the lottery like UK can.

C222
11-01-2013, 08:25 AM

So if Ray doesn't get a guy who was NEVER, ever, ever, ever, ever, going to consider us AND the #1 player in the country, "we don't have a recruiter?" Makes sense.

I really hope you start supporting Ray the way you do Stans, one day. You taking shots at Ray is getting old.

MarketingBully01
11-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Coach Ray has never been the focus of any ire of fans IMO. This is all on Stricklin. I do know Stans landed Bender, Outlaw, and Ellis and signed those guys. They all went in the NBA draft but if the draft rules back then were like today those are some bad ass players. Up until Newman, Ellis had been the best player to play in Mississippi. Not too shabby if you ask me.

fishwater99
11-01-2013, 08:38 AM

Stans lost out or just missed on many a MS player during his time at MSU...

Othella Harrington
Jessie Pate
Ronnie Henderson
Litterial Green
Lorenzen Wright
Mo Williams
Eric Washington
Antinio Mcdyess
Darius Rice
Justin Reed
Ronald Dupree
Trey Johnson

I am sure there are more...

C222
11-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Coach Ray has never been the focus of any ire of fans IMO. This is all on Stricklin. I do know Stans landed Bender, Outlaw, and Ellis and signed those guys. They all went in the NBA draft but if the draft rules back then were like today those are some bad ass players. Up until Newman, Ellis had been the best player to play in Mississippi. Not too shabby if you ask me.

I agree with it being on Stricklin if Ray doesn't work out but coastdoglover takes shots at Ray any chance he gets.

Stans was a great recruiter, no doubt. But for someone to say Ray isn't if he doesn't land Malik and because he didn't get Booker is absurd.

fishwater99
11-01-2013, 08:48 AM

I will argue all day that Chris Jackson was better than Ellis...
The game at the Big House with CJ vs James Robinson was unbelievable, I was there...They both scored 50+, shooting from behind the timeline, it was insane..

smootness
11-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Coach Ray has never been the focus of any ire of fans IMO. This is all on Stricklin.

But then you try to criticize Stricklin by bashing Ray. That's the point. Ray has proven nothing yet...neither good nor bad. So pretending as though he's proven he can't get it done, in any phase of the game, is insane.

smootness
11-01-2013, 08:49 AM
Stans was a great recruiter, no doubt. But for someone to say Ray isn't if he doesn't land Malik and because he didn't get Booker is absurd.

Especially since Stans wouldn't have landed either one.

Thick
11-01-2013, 09:04 AM
I am a white kid from the burbs haha and the reason UK is getting these players is not from the money they give them (which they do) in high school and college it's because they have a guarantee they are giving them for the mega millions AFTER they leave. No other school can guarantee the lottery like UK can.

His family is being offered a nice 6 figure UK signing bonus!! Stop acting like big programs don't pay! Cal was putting kids in the pros in Memphis. UK has deeper pockets for him and his prospects.

Homedawg
11-01-2013, 09:05 AM
I will argue all day that Chris Jackson was better than Ellis...
The game at the Big House with CJ vs James Robinson was unbelievable, I was there...They both scored 50+, shooting from behind the timeline, it was insane..

I'm on board w you. He was special.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Othella Harrington
Jessie Pate
Ronnie Henderson
Litterial Green
Lorenzen Wright
Mo Williams
Eric Washington
Antinio Mcdyess
Darius Rice
Justin Reed
Ronald Dupree
Trey Johnson

Not only that, but Monta Ellis never had any intention of going to college. Much like LeBron signing with Ohio State, it was just for show. We wasted alot of "recruiting" on Ellis

Outlaw was another that didnt want to go to college- he just wasnt sure if he was going to be able to get drafted. We were always Plan B for him

Bender is really the only one Stands signed that he was unlucky with. Bender just blew up overnight on us and pole vaulted his way into the draft.

DawgInMemphis
11-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Kentucky doesn't have to cheat. All it takes for them is to walk a recruit down the hallway showing off all the NBA first rounders and how much money they have signed for in the NBA AND the shoe contracts they get. D Rose has made more than $350 million alone on just Adidas.

They don't have to cheat, but they sure as hell do. Evidence -> Calipari is their coach. He's a very underrated coach as far as X's and O's go, and he flat out brings in the best talent - but the guy is shady as they come.

DawgInMemphis
11-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Agreed. Basketball recruiting is far dirtier than football. The summer leagues are a cesspool of recruiting filth.

MadDawg
11-01-2013, 10:03 AM
You taking shots at Ray is getting old.

LMAO

MarketingBully01
11-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Most of those on this list hated Williams. Harrington would have been a dog if Stans had been the head coach.

MarketingBully01
11-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I said if the rules were what they are now they all would have been at State. We beat out UNC for Ellis. We beat out all of the colleges for those guys.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
We beat out UNC for Ellis.

No we didnt. Ellis was NEVER going to college. UNC was smart enough not to waste money on him. We weren't.

If the rules were what they are now. Ellis would have left for Duke, NC, Kentucky, or some other top program

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
basketball is way, WAY dirtier than football. It's not even close. If you look at the percentage of players getting big payouts, it's probably 70-100% depending on the school and how many scholarship players they have on roster that year.

The reason it's not as scrutinized as football by the NCAA is because putting UK or Louisville or Duke or Carolina on probation costs them a lot of money come tournament time. About 80% of the NCAA's annual revenue comes from the tournament. Cutting big time programs out of post season play impacts their own pocket book... which is why it rarely happens.

Football however, they get nothing... so hammer away.

C222
11-01-2013, 10:26 AM
LMAO

Great post.

MarketingBully01
11-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Whatever...

Dog316
11-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Coach Stansbury was fired. Why knock him by posting unfounded allegations about cheating? Rick Ray is the new coach. He will succeed or fail based on his own abilities.

M.Fillmore
11-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I have a friend who is an AAU guy. He knows World Wide Wes and more. He was at a AAU deal where Cal and WWW came in. They are schmoozing with recruits and WWW makes a call. WWW asks the kid, "You want to talk to Beyonce? WWW hands the cell phone over and Beyonce flirts with the kid.

That is more impressive than sending Hevesy.

HoopsDawg
11-01-2013, 11:32 AM
No we didnt. Ellis was NEVER going to college. UNC was smart enough not to waste money on him. We weren't.

If the rules were what they are now. Ellis would have left for Duke, NC, Kentucky, or some other top program

Ellis was always going to college, right up until Sebastian Telfair got drafted in the 1st round. Up to that point, no one under 6-4 had gotten drafted in the first round right out of high school. Stans didn't waste much time recruiting him his senior year.

coastdoglover
11-01-2013, 11:45 AM
You continue to show your hatred. McDyess and Green were when Richard Williams was head coach. Not sure about the others . If you think we have a better recruiter now, go for it. The proof will be in the pudding.

Othella Harrington
Jessie Pate
Ronnie Henderson
Litterial Green
Lorenzen Wright
Mo Williams
Eric Washington
Antinio Mcdyess
Darius Rice
Justin Reed
Ronald Dupree
Trey Johnson

Thick
11-01-2013, 11:51 AM
You continue to show your hatred. McDyess and Green were when Richard Williams was head coach. Not sure about the others . If you think we have a better recruiter now, go for it. The proof will be in the pudding.

We have a better coach and disciplinarian, not sure about recruiter yet.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Ellis was always going to college, right up until Sebastian Telfair got drafted in the 1st round. Up to that point, no one under 6-4 had gotten drafted in the first round right out of high school. Stans didn't waste much time recruiting him his senior year.

Not according to anybody associated with him. When you talked to their people at coaching clinics, it was always "he's going to the NBA. He isn't headed to college so don't get your hopes up"

I can't testify to what we did his Sr year, but we did alot of "recruiting" with him.

smootness
11-01-2013, 12:13 PM
If that's true, then Stans either had no idea of their true feelings, or he just lied once Ellis went pro. Because Stans said over and over that he thought we were getting Ellis for at least one, and maybe two, years.

He didn't sell that as hard on either Bender or Outlaw.

HoopsDawg
11-01-2013, 12:18 PM
If that's true, then Stans either had no idea of their true feelings, or he just lied once Ellis went pro. Because Stans said over and over that he thought we were getting Ellis for at least one, and maybe two, years.

He didn't sell that as hard on either Bender or Outlaw.

That's correct. Stans was fired up about Ellis until Telfair got drafted. But he also thought we were getting Bender right up until that McDonald's AA game. He told me Bender was going to be the best player to every wear the Maroon and White.

Stans knew we most likely weren't getting Outlaw and he didn't even waste his time recruiting Al Jefferson.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
You continue to show your hatred. McDyess and Green were when Richard Williams was head coach. .

Not trying to start a big argument today, but I do find it funny that Stands was always given credit anytime we signed someone under Williams, but the Stands Lovers dont want to give him any credit on the misses. I guess that was all Williams

fishwater99
11-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Stans was hired by Rick to recuit, that's what he did for Williams. I think Stans was a damn good recruiter, and I never said otherwise.
He just couldn't coach. The jury os still out on Ray, but I am not impressed with his recruiting so far.

Political Hack
11-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Guys, there's no way in hell to even to begin to compare Rick Ray to Stans when it comes to recruiting. Maybe in time, but right now it's no contest... not even debatable.

Coach34
11-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Guys, there's no way in hell to even to begin to compare Rick Ray to Stans when it comes to recruiting. Maybe in time, but right now it's no contest... not even debatable.

Absolutely- I dont know of anybody that has a pulse that would say Ray is as good yet...but there is some evidence of more discipline and better coaching. We'll get a better look at that this season for more evidence

I seen it dawg
11-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Keep in mind the Ray took over a dumpster fire that would make it more difficult than normal to recruit from the outset. Let's give him a few years before we judge his recruiting.

engie
11-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Keep in mind the Ray took over a dumpster fire that would make it more difficult than normal to recruit from the outset. Let's give him a few years before we judge his recruiting.

And was a choice that went against the consensus of the Cigar Boys -- and thus not immediately afforded the luxuries in recruiting that Stans enjoyed...

Before we get to bashing his recruiting -- let's see where he tops out at with the talent he is bringing in. There's 15-20 coaches around the country that win on a high level every year without a single elite player by having the right, cerebral players playing together.

Outside of UK and Florida on occasion, the SEC is ripe for the picking if you've got a great fundamental coach and players...

MarketingBully01
11-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Heck, why don't we give him five years and no expectations. That will be great. But at least he is a disciplinarian and we play hard.

Hey, here is a thought. If you are a good X's and O's coach but can't recruit worth a crap, find yourself a recruiter as an assistant. It worked for Williams. He sucked at recruiting but as soon as he hired Stansbury he did well. If Coach Ray had hired him someone that I don't know, had ties to the south and had familiarity with Mississippi maybe he would be doing better in recruiting (and I don't mean Brooks). I think if he had hired Coach Kirby he might have had a chance to mend some factions of both sides of the fan base and would be doing better in recruiting. But I digress.

MarketingBully01
11-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Probably because he was a complete unknown and the hire was completely out of left field.