PDA

View Full Version : Just Spoke With an Analytical, College Football Buddy

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 04:30 PM
So, I have good friend that is very similar to Dave Bartoo & uses his spread sheets make a good bit of money on betting games & even does some college football consulting on the side.

This afternoon I spoke with him on the phone asked him, analytically speaking, how good is Napier?

He told me he'd give a call back & let me know how Napier analytically compares to the best G5 coaches in recent college football history that went on to power 5 jobs:

Urban Meyer at Utah is the #1 G5 coach of all time, Norvell is #2, & Tommy Bowden at Tulane is 3rd.

Upon getting a power 5 job, analytically (don't ask me what all goes into this) Napier will be the 4th best G5 to power 5 coach in the past 20 years ahead of such names as Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, Tom Herman at Houston, Brady Hoke at SD State, Dino Babers at Bowling Green, significantly better than Neal Brown at Troy, Dave Doeren at Northern Illinois, & bunch of other guys.

Point is, this is a chance for MSU to hire what on paper looks like an elite coach & he fits our culture.

I've asked him to let me know where G5 version of Lane Kiffin stands, but he's having to run the numbers.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 04:35 PM
Ok, just heard back about Kiffin at FAU.

Through 2 years at FAU ( The amount of time Napier has been at ULL) Kiffin was 10 points behind Napier. After year 3 at FAU, Kiffin jumped slightly ahead of where Napier is in year 2 at ULL

PMDawg
01-04-2020, 05:13 PM
Yeah, like we are supposed to believe that you have a friend.**

msstate7
01-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Just random rankings with no formula or explanation at all is pretty useless, right?

msu15
01-04-2020, 05:25 PM
Yeah, like we are supposed to believe that you have a friend.**

He 5 stars his own threads***

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Just random rankings with no formula or explanation at all is pretty useless, right?

Yes and No.

Most people trust WAR in baseball without knowing the formula.

If the right coaches are the top & the correct coaches are at the bottom (Chad Morris was brutal) then the formula begins to have some credibility.

Plus, I know who this guy is & his background, so he has more credibility to me.

Ezsoil
01-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Yes and No.

Most people trust WAR in baseball without knowing the formula.

If the right coaches are the top & the correct coaches are at the bottom (Chad Morris was brutal) then the formula begins to have some credibility.

Plus, I know who this guy is & his background, so he has more credibility to me.

Will Jonah Hill play him in the movie?

OurState
01-04-2020, 06:32 PM
So, I have good friend that is very similar to Dave Bartoo & uses his spread sheets make a good bit of money on betting games & even does some college football consulting on the side.

This afternoon I spoke with him on the phone asked him, analytically speaking, how good is Napier?

He told me he'd give a call back & let me know how Napier analytically compares to the best G5 coaches in recent college football history that went on to power 5 jobs:

Urban Meyer at Utah is the #1 G5 coach of all time, Norvell is #2, & Tommy Bowden at Tulane is 3rd.

Upon getting a power 5 job, analytically (don't ask me what all goes into this) Napier will be the 4th best G5 to power 5 coach in the past 20 years ahead of such names as Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, Tom Herman at Houston, Brady Hoke at SD State, Dino Babers at Bowling Green, significantly better than Neal Brown at Troy, Dave Doeren at Northern Illinois, & bunch of other guys.

Point is, this is a chance for MSU to hire what on paper looks like an elite coach & he fits our culture.

I've asked him to let me know where G5 version of Lane Kiffin stands, but he's having to run the numbers.

Urban Meyer only went G5 to Power 5 once, but you list him twice

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 06:35 PM
Urban Meyer only went G5 to Power 5 once, but you list him twice

He was scored at Bowling Green & Utah. Two different scores due to coaching at two different schools

Hambone
01-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Alexa doesn’t count as a friend, Shotgun......

Jack Lambert
01-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Ok, just heard back about Kiffin at FAU.

Through 2 years at FAU ( The amount of time Napier has been at ULL) Kiffin was 10 points behind Napier. After year 3 at FAU, Kiffin jumped slightly ahead of where Napier is in year 2 at ULL

But Kiffin should not count because he took demotion to a G5. He was HC at 2 P5 and NFL. He should not be figured in.

yjnkdawg
01-04-2020, 07:56 PM
Man, this thread fizzled on out pretty quickly. Alexa what do we do now in our coaching search?***

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 08:00 PM
Spoke to my analytical guru about this and got him to run some historical numbers. He said Napier would be best to come into conference since Bear and Saban would be bumped to 3rd ***

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Not a big analytic guy. I just dont think it works in football. Great for basketball and baseball but this game is different. Too many moving parts and nothing individual about it

TUSK
01-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Not a big analytic guy. I just dont think it works in football. Great for basketball and baseball but this game is different. Too many moving parts and nothing individual about it

yup...

bobtail bob
01-04-2020, 10:01 PM
I feel like Jughead when he was at Fordham should be in there somewhere

TimberBeast
01-04-2020, 10:17 PM
If people would stop replying in shotguns nonsense threads they would just roll off the page. Just say no.

Hambone
01-04-2020, 10:19 PM
Unfortunately he’ll just start another OR comment on his own threads.