PDA

View Full Version : Shoop, Why do so many of you like him?

msudawglb
01-04-2020, 04:18 PM
I don?t get it. He seems like Joe Lee Dunn 2.0. We blitz all the damn time and rarely get to the QB. Louisville torched us because of this ?send the troops? mentality. We never adjusted. Shoop?s defense seems to work when you have 1st round NFL talent on the DL. Otherwise it sucks.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 04:27 PM
Good question.

Probably fear of doing worse.

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 04:30 PM
Vandy:

2011 - 18th
2012 - 19th
2013 - 23rd

Penn St.

2014 - 2nd
2015 - 14th

Miss St.
2018 - 1st and while we had the #1 D we didn't have the talent for a #1 D necessarily.

Bad cultures with lack of discipline at TN and this year at MSU. Todd Grantham never had a 1st and 2nd ranked D I don't believe. I think Grantham is good but not as good as Shoop.

Walkerhill
01-04-2020, 04:38 PM
I don?t get it. He seems like Joe Lee Dunn 2.0. We blitz all the damn time and rarely get to the QB. Louisville torched us because of this ?send the troops? mentality. We never adjusted. Shoop?s defense seems to work when you have 1st round NFL talent on the DL. Otherwise it sucks.

I was wondering during the bowl game why not just play dime with a spy and use the d-line to contain him on all those 3rd and long conversions. The Louisville web was not a very dangerous pocket passer but he killed us on scrambles and roll outs. That was the difference in the game in my mind.

bulldog20
01-04-2020, 04:52 PM
Shoop has an aggressive style but probably had to be more aggressive this year due to the ineptness of the offense. He probably thought if we could create enough pressure then we might could get some big breaks, but it never seemed to happen. He is better to me than Grantham, but just my opinion. Even last years defense had to play damn near perfect for us to win. We had a shot against every team last year, but at some point when the offense is so bad it hurts the defense. Our 4 sec losses last year we averaged 4 points so it show just how bad the offense was at times. You can't blame him for that. His defense at full strength this year was solid considering the d-line youth which makes it harder to just rush 4 to create pressure.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2020, 04:53 PM
1) Having the #1 defence doesnt happen without competent coaching. It just doesnt. Not to mention no other top D had the shitty O we contended with constantly putting our D in bad field position with little rest.

2) the only reason our D wasnt as soft as the O is because of Shoop. He saw this trainwreck coming and instituted toughness Tuesdays.

3) his game plans (Louisville withstanding) are always good and he makes adjustments. Let's not forget Aranda had no idea what to do with Plumlee and we shut him down better than anyone, that's just one example.

4) he's delt with a ton of injuries this year. Dantzler got hurt and say out when he wasnt, Gay was out for 9 games (remember he got ejected the 2nd half if a game), CB #2 went down (Smitherman)...

So this year he had a D without it's best LB, DT (Autry), or top 2 DBs, AND the S&C was horrible which is out of his control, AND all our DTs were young, AND the O and ST sucked which hurts in field position and rest.

What DC would do better under those conditions?

Edit: and hes had very good to elite DS at every place but TN. His resume is far better than Grantham. But life every OC or Dzc, he will have bad games. It happens

Cowbell
01-04-2020, 05:20 PM
If you are asking this question, you without a doubt need to study what he has done here a little closer. He is better than grantham due to his secondary coaching.

Leroy Jenkins
01-04-2020, 05:21 PM
I don?t get it.

No you don't. Shoop is a great college DC.

WSOPdawg
01-04-2020, 05:37 PM
Plus, JoMo's offense prolly went 3-and-out half the time, forcing the D back out onto the field with just a minute or two of rest. I think five 3-n-outs out of 10 possessions in the MCB alone.

starkvegasdawg
01-04-2020, 05:41 PM
If you are asking this question, you without a doubt need to study what he has done here a little closer. He is better than grantham due to his secondary coaching.

If he's to be judged by secondary coaching then he's horrible. Teams had receivers running wide open all season. We couldn't cover slugs.

msudawglb
01-04-2020, 05:44 PM
I love how a small few of you attack the poster first. Instead post some facts that may make an argument.

Thank you to those who did post stats and your opinions without attacking. You all have swayed my opinion slightly.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-04-2020, 05:53 PM
If he's to be judged by secondary coaching then he's horrible. Teams had receivers running wide open all season. We couldn't cover slugs.

If we look at his overall body of work then hes bad, what? So we should throw out great Ds at 2 other programs because it wasnt here? That just seems anti-intelectual to me to intentionally throw out valid data. But time address the secondary problem:

We lost our top 3 S from last year (Mclaurin, Abram, and Rayford) and our #2 CB in Peter's. Then our best 2 CBs went down in Dantzler and Smithernan and we had to start 2 true Fr.

Lastly, our DL coach is extremely suspect (Rivers and Kobe Jones regressed from last year) so there wasn't much pass rush.

Again, what do you want out of him? True Fr only playing due to injuries will blow coverages. No DC can fix that. We actually had a fair amount of blown coverages under Grantham and he didnt have as bad of an O/ST he was working with, or the injuries problem, or the talent lost from the previous year, or the bad DL coaching, or the true Fr he has to play

Cowbell
01-04-2020, 06:05 PM

Man you have got to put some perspective with this. It's not like he was handed a full cupboard - our secondary was the most improved unit on the team last year. He was also working with terrible S&C this year and that's not on him. He single handedly saved Mooreheads job (though shortly) in the EB by taking plumlee completely out of the game. Nobody had done that yet to them.

Schultzy
01-04-2020, 08:51 PM
Because he radioed down to the sideline to tell our HC to take the penalty on the extra point.

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2020, 08:55 PM
He is a good coach. He's just not as good as Grantham. Im not very big on the 4-2-5. I think unless you have some badasses you are going to get hurt in the run game. He doesnt disguise his blitzes as well as Grantham does either.

I like Shoop. We could do a lot worse. He has shown what he can do. Nothing to feel down about if we keep him. I just think Grantham is better. He has been more consistent

Really Clark?
01-04-2020, 09:01 PM
He is a good coach. He's just not as good as Grantham. Im not very big on the 4-2-5. I think unless you have some badasses you are going to get hurt in the run game. He doesnt disguise his blitzes as well as Grantham does either.

I like Shoop. We could do a lot worse. He has shown what he can do. Nothing to feel down about if we keep him. I just think Grantham is better. He has been more consistent

To be honest I like Shoop a little better, to preface this post. But I really like Grantham as well but to the part of the 4-2-5 defense, Grantham ran that a lot in 2017 as well. A lot.

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2020, 09:03 PM
To be honest I like Shoop a little better, to preface this post. But I really like Grantham as well but to the part of the 4-2-5 defense, Grantham ran that a lot in 2017 as well. A lot.

They are both multiple. I dont mean to say one is just 4-2-5 and one is just 3-4 but they based on both of those respectively. I think they are both aggressive but Grantham does some things that Shoop doesnt with his safeties and I believe he does a better job against the run.. He forces you to beat him passing

Coursesuper
01-04-2020, 09:04 PM

That's spot on, Good call, he doesn't hide coverage very well either.

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 09:11 PM
That's spot on, Good call, he doesn't hide coverage very well either.

I think it the other way around. Shoop better at disguising IMO.

ETA: Don't go by this year.