PDA

View Full Version : We Can't Afford Another Learning Curve Right Now....

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 09:53 AM
I'm not saying that Grantham or Judge wouldn't work or be outstanding coaches for MSU, but MSU just can't afford another learning curve right.

For two years, all I heard was, "Joe just has a learning curve". I don't want to hear that anymore.

The benefit of hiring a sitting head coach is that he already employs trusted staff members that know the scheme & have worked with the head coach.

When you hire a non-sitting head coach, he has to put together an experimental staff that even the coach has no clue if it'll work or not, but when you hire a sitting head coach, he brings some portion of the staff with him.

Just look at Mullen: Look at how quickly he hit the ground running at Florida. Why do you think that is? Sure Mullen is a great coach, but he took most of his staff & everyone was already on the same page. We need the same thing.

We need a head coach that brings a staff with him, especially the OL coach.

Just my opinion. All these assistants sound intriguing, but I just don't think it's the right direction at this point in time.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
01-04-2020, 10:01 AM
Totally agree with you!!

msstate7
01-04-2020, 10:14 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/7PWPDvC5/BB068-AFF-4-E72-495-C-8-B9-E-BB62-ECF13-DA9.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

KOdawg1
It's honestly Napier or bust at this point. The fanbase will lose their shit if anyone else is announced. Sure, there will be some who would be excited for Judge, Hud or Grantham, but the fans would be split in a big way, and we don't need that. They've been split for the last 2 years. We need to rally behind someone to bring excitement back to the program, and that someone is Billy Napier.

chef dixon
Jeff Monken even being on there makes me nauseous

msstate7
01-04-2020, 10:16 AM
Aranda is interesting. I wonder if we plan on interviewing him

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 10:17 AM
There's gonna be some learning curve. Any coach we likely to get has never been an HC on the P5 level or in the SEC W where you going head-to-head against Bama & LSU every year. And now the new coach has to get the culture back squared away too. And OM may be raising the price of poker again with Kiffin hire and their recruiting tactics.

Joe's learning curve was really huge and and he really had no clue what it's like at this level. He's only been an OC at this level 2 years prior to our job. He was like and still is like a deer in the headlights. Mullen had years of working with Urban prior to getting here and he still had to evolve over 3 or 4 years.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 10:17 AM
FWIW, I'm not saying that Napier doesn't want to go to Baylor, but I believe there's also a strong chance that the Baylor thing is being blow out of proportion as a negotiation tactic for Napier's side

Napier's agent can't play MSU vs ULL & there isn't another job open right now. So the Baylor narrative has gained steam so that we can't low ball Napier in negotiations.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 10:18 AM
There's gonna be some learning curve. Any coach we likely to get has never been an HC on the P5 level or in the SEC W where you going head-to-head against Bama & LSU every year. And now the new coach has to get the culture back squared away too. And OM may be raising the price of poker again with Kiffin hire and their recruiting tactics.

Joe's learning curve was really huge and and he really had no clue what it's like at this level. He's only been an OC at this level 2 years prior to our job. He was like and still is like a deer in the headlights. Mullen had years of working with Urban prior to getting here and he still had to evolve over 3 or 4 years.

Well.... Napier has recruited at Bama & Clemson. Throw that in with him already being a successful head coach that has a good staff, & he should have about as little of a learning curve as anyone could ask for.

KOdawg1
01-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Aranda is interesting. I wonder if we plan on interviewing him

I like him better than some of these other names being thrown around

Bothrops
01-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Jeff Monken even being on there makes me nauseous

I have no idea why his name gets brought up for our job. Happened last go around too.

Bothrops
01-04-2020, 10:27 AM
FWIW, I'm not saying that Napier doesn't want to go to Baylor, but I believe there's also a strong chance that the Baylor thing is being blow out of proportion as a negotiation tactic for Napier's side

Napier's agent can't play MSU vs ULL & there isn't another job open right now. So the Baylor narrative has gained steam so that we can't low ball Napier in negotiations.

Is it a forgone conclusion that Baylor is losing their coach?

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Well.... Napier has recruited at Bama & Clemson. Throw that in with him already being a successful head coach that has a good staff, & he should have about as little of a learning curve as anyone could ask for.

Mostly agree ... Probably about as little learning curve as most anyone we could get right now.

msstate7
01-04-2020, 10:32 AM
Is it a forgone conclusion that Baylor is losing their coach?

No

RiverCityDawg
01-04-2020, 10:35 AM

Absolutely. The Giants and several other NFL teams are a long way from making a decision. I don't think the Baylor job is going to be open by Tuesday. Is Napier going to wait that long just to see? Of course not. I don't believe any of that as being a real possibility because of timing.

Back to your take on Judge, I agree completely. It's wild to think that Judge is going to interview for the New York football Giants on a Sunday and the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Monday. That sentence alone makes him intriguing to me. But the potential learning curve is just too much to risk. Another time, another situation and I would love to hire Joe. Heck, I would be excited to have him now... but also scared as hell. Just can't risk it.

At the end of it all I would take Judge or Grantham over Moorhead and be ready to roll next season. With that said, I think it's Napier.

RiverCityDawg
01-04-2020, 10:38 AM
I have no idea why his name gets brought up for our job. Happened last go around too.

Jeff Monken reached out to us unsolicited when we were putting out feelers in the fall when we were considering a change. The is per Ross Dellenger (and our good friend RougeDawg who's "national media source" is no doubt Ross). I think the interest is one sided

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 10:56 AM
Who has the "hardest edge"?

maroonmania
01-04-2020, 11:44 AM
I agree, IMO anything other than the hire of a reasonably successful sitting G5 HC or guy with a lot of HC experience is a failure at this point. Like you said, we can't afford to bring in another guy that has to learn on the job. I mean thinking back, even with Mullen coming in with few ties as a HC, we got stuck with Carl Torbush for a year as DC which was really bad because Dan didn't have anyone else. We don't need that again.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 11:52 AM
I agree, IMO anything other than the hire of a reasonably successful sitting G5 HC or guy with a lot of HC experience is a failure at this point. Like you said, we can't afford to bring in another guy that has to learn on the job. I mean thinking back, even with Mullen coming in with few ties as a HC, we got stuck with Carl Torbush for a year as DC which was really bad because Dan didn't have anyone else. We don't need that again.

at the same time, we can afford to be more patient with this new hire. the last hire was so critical b/c of our roster and schedule. This time around, if our coach has a learning curve it's not that big of a deal b/c we don't have near the roster we did when JoMo was hired.

MarketingBully
01-04-2020, 11:54 AM
What if we hire Bill Clark and he wins 10 games next year? The guy wins. He might not be a “sexy” name but the guy just wins. UAB is a shithole and he has never had a losing season there including going through UAB’s self imposed death penalty. I hope we are giving him a serious look.

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 11:58 AM
What if we hire Bill Clark and he wins 10 games next year? The guy wins. He might not be a “sexy” name but the guy just wins. UAB is a shithole and he has never had a losing season there including going through UAB’s self imposed death penalty. I hope we are giving him a serious look.

I'm with you. Their QB could barely throw it 20 yards. I was amazed how well they did with inferior talent.

timotheus
01-04-2020, 11:59 AM

Billy......

Rex54
01-04-2020, 12:05 PM

Iron Bill Napier

DLGDawg
01-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Absolutely. The Giants and several other NFL teams are a long way from making a decision. I don't think the Baylor job is going to be open by Tuesday. Is Napier going to wait that long just to see? Of course not. I don't believe any of that as being a real possibility because of timing.

Back to your take on Judge, I agree completely. It's wild to think that Judge is going to interview for the New York football Giants on a Sunday and the Mississippi State Bulldogs on Monday. That sentence alone makes him intriguing to me. But the potential learning curve is just too much to risk. Another time, another situation and I would love to hire Joe. Heck, I would be excited to have him now... but also scared as hell. Just can't risk it.

At the end of it all I would take Judge or Grantham over Moorhead and be ready to roll next season. With that said, I think it's Napier.

It is wild to think about Judge interviewing w the Giants then us the next day.
Everyone is talking about a learning curve with Judge??
Serious question. What are the Giants thinking about his learning curve?

ETA I'm not advocating for Judge. My hope is Napier.

msstate7
01-04-2020, 12:10 PM

I think he's damn good at coaching. I do wonder if he'd be able to recruit enough though

timotheus
01-04-2020, 12:10 PM
They are checking to see if Joe Judge is Bill Belicheck 2.0

RiverCityDawg
01-04-2020, 12:11 PM
It is wild to think about Judge interviewing w the Giants then us the next day.
Everyone is talking about a learning curve with Judge??
Serious question. What are the Giants thinking about his learning curve?

For me the learning curve is about the recruiting and other piddly crap that college coaches have to deal with that NFL coaches do not or have other people to handle for them.

FriarsPoint
01-04-2020, 12:14 PM
For me the learning curve is about the recruiting and other piddly crap that college coaches have to deal with that NFL coaches do not or have other people to handle for them.

Yep. Recruiting. It doesn’t always translate to guys going from the NFL to NCAA. Although Mike Sherman had some pretty goods ones make it to the nfl from A&M.

Duckdog
01-04-2020, 03:36 PM
Shotgun, smoke a blunt, take couple bars, have some damn drinks for christ sake.

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2020, 03:44 PM

Grantham

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2020, 03:46 PM
If we hired TG I will be happy. He has been around in this league SECW and SECE, is a proven DC and he could just stick right to what he is doing and add clock management to it. He can handle that.

I also wouldnt be worried about his staff, he is well respected and coached under some pretty big name HCs. he is a winner first and foremost and the culture would be back by the end of spring ball. That is a fact. Biggest concern would be hiring a legit legit OC to run the offense. You could pay TG about 3M and use 1-2M for a for real OC and we are rolling

The Federalist Engineer
01-04-2020, 08:27 PM
I like him better than some of these other names being thrown around

Same- this dude has a great background

Todd4State
01-04-2020, 08:40 PM
Jeff Monken reached out to us unsolicited when we were putting out feelers in the fall when we were considering a change. The is per Ross Dellenger (and our good friend RougeDawg who's "national media source" is no doubt Ross). I think the interest is one sided

I take it he was the "triple option guy" that allegedly contacted us in November and was interested in our job? I figured it was either him or Troy Calhoun at Air Force.

Todd4State
01-04-2020, 08:41 PM
If we hired TG I will be happy. He has been around in this league SECW and SECE, is a proven DC and he could just stick right to what he is doing and add clock management to it. He can handle that.

I also wouldnt be worried about his staff, he is well respected and coached under some pretty big name HCs. he is a winner first and foremost and the culture would be back by the end of spring ball. That is a fact. Biggest concern would be hiring a legit legit OC to run the offense. You could pay TG about 3M and use 1-2M for a for real OC and we are rolling

He's also been a DC in the NFL. And that might be one reason why Dan wants to keep him around.