PDA

View Full Version : Good Recent Video On Joe Judge

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 01:12 AM
Man, this is a tough one. Hard to not see this guy as our potential Dabo or mainstay coach. It's just terribly risky.

If I'm Cohen, I interview him with the expectation of not hiring him, but leave the door open if he absolutely blows me away. Not sure what else to do.

Interesting video though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp1u0XH8130&t=204s

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 01:21 AM
Judge sounds like an absolute stud & he may very well be the best coach for MSU, but I just wish we had something tangible like stats, scheme, & results from which to evaluate him. It's literally a potential hire that could get Cohen fired in 2 years or give us the best coach we've ever had for 20 years. I have no clue

Commercecomet24
01-04-2020, 01:28 AM
Here's something to consider. I'm a huge pats fan and love Belichick but the HCs from his coaching tree have had almost zero success. Just something to consider.Not saying judge wouldn't be a stud but he's to risky a hire at this point with zero experience as even an oc or dc. I'm not knocking him at all because he's a fast climber in the nfl ranks but as I said Belichick coaching tree hasn't met with much success

trojandawg
01-04-2020, 01:32 AM
Watched it. Impressive but he needs to stay in the nfl or come to college as a coordinator or a position coach for a while. He doesnt have the college background we need. All the intelligent stuff is nice but so was moorhead. Yes he has the state ties but that Moorhead did not. He still sounds to me based on that description as another cerebral type guy like Moorhead that is probably better suited for the nfl. Croom was also a well respected position coach also with ties to Alabama and bear. Just don?t like the idea of a lifetime pro position coach coming in and being the head guy no matter if he went to state or not. If he didn?t go to state would his name even seriously be mentioned? Ask yourself that.

deadheaddawg
01-04-2020, 01:37 AM
If he really is a lifer guy here. If this is really his dream job we have plenty of time to get together in the future.

Not worth the risk now imho

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 01:39 AM
Watched it. Impressive but he needs to stay in the nfl or come to college as a coordinator or a position coach for a while. He doesnt have the college background we need. All the intelligent stuff is nice but so was moorhead. Yes he has the state ties but that Moorhead did not. He still sounds to me based on that description as another cerebral type guy like Moorhead that is probably better suited for the nfl. Croom was also a well respected position coach also with ties to Alabama and bear. Just don?t like the idea of a lifetime pro position coach coming in and being the head guy no matter if he went to state or not. If he didn?t go to state would his name even seriously be mentioned? Ask yourself that.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but it's important to realize that success is about the individual, not about their profile.

What Croom or anyone else has done has absolutely no bearing on what Judge may do.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 01:39 AM
If he really is a lifer guy here. If this is really his dream job we have plenty of time to get together in the future.

Not worth the risk now imho

I agree with this. I think he's our next coach after this hire.

Mobile Bay
01-04-2020, 04:41 AM
Ok think about this resume

one year grad assistant for a SEC school

3 years WR coach for a G5 school

2 years WR coach for a very minor p5 school

1 year WR coach for an NFL team.

Would you hire that guy. It's very similar to Joe Judge's resume.

Western Michigan did. It worked out pretty well.

Todd4State
01-04-2020, 05:20 AM
I can't see Cohen taking a risk on Judge because he has zero head coaching experience.

Cowbell
01-04-2020, 06:43 AM
No way we make this hire right now.

MetEdDawg
01-04-2020, 06:57 AM
If we were hiring Mullen's replacement right now instead of Moorhead's replacement, you could hire a Joe Judge and take that risk.

Can't right now. Risk is too great. He's 37. He's got plenty of time to be our HC.

AROB44
01-04-2020, 07:02 AM
Ok think about this resume

one year grad assistant for a .Big 10 school

3 years WR coach for a G5 school

2 years WR coach for a very minor p5 school

1 year WR coach for an NFL team.

Would you hire that guy. It's very similar to Joe Judge's resume.

Western Michigan did. It worked out pretty well.

Fixed it for you...P J Fleck was at Ohio State not an SEC school

Dawgface
01-04-2020, 08:32 AM
If he's a backup plan and we have to go that route, I would get on board with him. But agree....would be risky.

defiantdog
01-04-2020, 10:44 AM
I really don't want another coach named Joe.

KB21
01-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Judge sounds like an absolute stud & he may very well be the best coach for MSU, but I just wish we had something tangible like stats, scheme, & results from which to evaluate him. It's literally a potential hire that could get Cohen fired in 2 years or give us the best coach we've ever had for 20 years. I have no clue

Having a scheme is a very overblown quality when looking into hiring a head coach. Joe Moorhead was hired because of his scheme. The Miami Dolphins hired Adam Gase because of his scheme.

The more important quality you need to look for is leadership. Can he command the room? Can he command the message? Can he command the process? Can he command the opportunity? Can he command himself?

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 11:17 AM
Having a scheme is a very overblown quality when looking into hiring a head coach. Joe Moorhead was hired because of his scheme. The Miami Dolphins hired Adam Gase because of his scheme.

The more important quality you need to look for is leadership. Can he command the room? Can he command the message? Can he command the process? Can he command the opportunity? Can he command himself?

Apparently he can based on my limited crash course I just took on the video (thank poster for that).

There are tons of NFL coaches with similar amounts of experience that are not going to be enen SMELLING a NFL HC Interview room. There's a reason he is. He's a MSU Grad whose gonna be interviewed for the HC Job for The New York Football Giants. We would be ignorant not to invite him down for a chat.

parabrave
01-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Here's something to consider. I'm a huge pats fan and love Belichick but the HCs from his coaching tree have had almost zero success. Just something to consider.Not saying judge wouldn't be a stud but he's to risky a hire at this point with zero experience as even an oc or dc. I'm not knocking him at all because he's a fast climber in the nfl ranks but as I said Belichick coaching tree hasn't met with much success

Yep thinking two names in particular: Charlie Wiest and Romeo Crennell.

fader2103
01-04-2020, 12:52 PM

I am one who doesn't want Joe Judge this coaching cycle. I just don't think it would work this early in his career but I could be wrong. But don't forget about Nick Saban. Not saying Joe Judge will be the next Nick

ckDOG
01-04-2020, 12:53 PM
What brought him to MSU originally? I still haven't drawn the connection...

gtowndawg
01-04-2020, 12:55 PM
Would he go by Coach Joey or Dr. Judge?

HoopsDawg
01-04-2020, 01:08 PM
Coaching searches are always funny. There are actually a number of MSU fans talking themselves into Joey Judge, LOL.

gtowndawg
01-04-2020, 01:11 PM
Coaching searches are always funny. There are actually a number of MSU fans talking themselves into Joey Judge, LOL.

I can't imagine anyone is taking it seriously. Next go around? Maybe. Not now though.

ckDOG
01-04-2020, 01:13 PM
What was his connection to MSU to get him here in the first place? Parents don't seem to have any relationship with MSU.

redstickdawg
01-04-2020, 01:15 PM
What was his connection to MSU to get him here in the first place? Parents don't seem to have any relationship with MSU.

He played under Jackie and Croom and was a GA under Croom. His wife played soccer for us as well. so he is definitely tied to MSU.

ckDOG
01-04-2020, 01:57 PM
He played under Jackie and Croom and was a GA under Croom. His wife played soccer for us as well. so he is definitely tied to MSU.

I know that. Well documented. Why did he chose to come to MSU? Not a common story of a PA kid coming to MSU to walk on the football team and study education.

OLJWales
01-04-2020, 02:37 PM

Damn I'm getting old.