PDA

View Full Version : Here is where we are Part 2

Coach34
01-03-2020, 08:59 PM
JoVester is out- can I get a Hell Yeah? That fat OM retarded ****er called Rowdy would give me one

We have offered the job to Napier. Cohen is low-balling Napier and trying to get his number. Who can blame him? Cohen is negotiating with an agent thru Napier- so you get alot of bullshit as you go thru that process. Napier doesnt want the story of him taking the State job to break before kickoff Monday evening- so that is a big deal heading into the weekend. So he may want the job- but he will keep everything at bay about him jumping ship before Monday. He wants to win 11 games this season.

In the meantime- we know we can hire Todd Grantham as HC for 3MM per and allow him some extra money to hire some offensive staff. That is Plan B, C, or even D. It's the fallback.

Joe Judge with the Patriots is possible. Again- fallback plan

We will continue to talk to other agents. Cohen will stay on the phone the next 3-4 days. I'm proud they made the move they had to make instead of languising another year.

ckDOG
01-03-2020, 09:01 PM
PAY NAPIER AND STAFF

FriarsPoint
01-03-2020, 09:01 PM
Just pay the guy and end it. And I’m sure more than his own salary is on the table. Staff pay, recruiting budget, etc.

msstate7
01-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Judge is so intriguing to me. I just can't bring myself to say pull the trigger on him.

MetEdDawg
01-03-2020, 09:06 PM
Judge is so intriguing to me. I just can't bring myself to say pull the trigger on him.

Same. Interviewed with the Giants for their HC gig. So he must be knowledgeable and able to do the job. Question is could he do it at the college level.

I have a feeling he could set the organizational structure up well given who he's worked with. But some of the ins and outs of college football I would be concerned about.

KOdawg1
01-03-2020, 09:07 PM
Man I hope we don't spook him by anything breaking before Monday

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 09:07 PM
Cohen is lowballing, what a shocker.***

I sure hope we get Napier because if Grantham is the next choice that will be a HUGE risk of a hire. On paper every bit as risky as Moorhead ever was.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2020, 09:08 PM
He wants the job no doubt in my mind but he doesn't want it cheap because the timing is bad for us. He has us bent over a log. It's just how loud Cohen is willing to squeal like a pig.

BHildreth3
01-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Same. Interviewed with the Giants for their HC gig. So he must be knowledgeable and able to do the job. Question is could he do it at the college level.

I have a feeling he could set the organizational structure up well given who he's worked with. But some of the ins and outs of college football I would be concerned about.

Judge is a risk, just like Moorhead was. Let's recap. I think it's so important for ANY SEC West school....you better hire someone who knows how the league works from the coaching level, not just as a former player. We're talking 4 million type of risk. I need to see Judge as a Head Coach somewhere before taking a chance.

Napier knows big time football in big time leagues. There's a huge difference b/w the 2 guys.

FriarsPoint
01-03-2020, 09:10 PM
Judge is a risk, just like Moorhead was. Let's recap. I think it's so important for ANY SEC West school....you better hire someone who knows how the league works for the coaching level, not a former player. We're talking 4 million type of risk. I need to see Judge as a Head Coach somewhere before taking a chance.

Napier knows big time football in big time leagues. There's a huge difference b/w the 2 guys.

^^^^^^that right there

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 09:12 PM
He wants the job no doubt in my mind but he doesn't want it cheap because the timing is bad for us. He has us bent over a log. It's just how loud Cohen is willing to squeal like a pig.

Well, if he wants a P5 job next season we are currently the only game in town and we are highly interested. With all of the other P5 jobs that opened earlier you never really even heard his name much.

DownwardDawg

I'm the exact same way.

Mobile Bay

I can't help but think this. He is MSU through and through. Played for Jackie, worked for Mullen. Then he worked for the best. Saban and then Belicheck. To jump from Saban to Belicheck you know Saban recommended him. He has been around the best and impressed them.

I used to hang with the nephew of Dave Swalm, as he said, nuts in hand and go for the rail. I say take the risk.

RougeDawg
01-03-2020, 09:13 PM
Pretty sure the deal will get done. Just working out the details and trying to keep everything secret until ULL plays their game.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 09:14 PM
Just pay the guy and end it. And I’m sure more than his own salary is on the table. Staff pay, recruiting budget, etc.

You have to know what to pay him though.

That's what Cohen is currently trying to figure out.

Think about it from Napier's agent's point of view: He knows Billy isn't taking any job till Monday, so he has all weekend to bullshit around & see how high MSU will go. My guess is that Napier's camp is hemming & hawing but not giving a hard number. Thus Cohen has to slowly work his way there & play hard ball so that the agent will eventually give a number, which likely won't be till afternoon on Monday.

I can't blame Cohen for not spending another million that he doesn't have to

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2020, 09:15 PM
Im out on Judge. He has done nothing in college to make me think he can run a program or an offense or defense.

Its got to be Napier or Grantham. Yall are down on him. He fits us perfectly and we would win as long as we gave him 1-2 mil or an OC per year

the_real_MSU_is_us
I see no problem with low balling and negotiating. Nothing can be announced till Tiesday so why not? All saying "Yes Billy whatever you want!" Will do is NOTHING provided we as fans do our jobs and quit prying for info.

Us blowing the lid off this may make him back out, so take a chill pill and wait

Jack Lambert
Well, if he wants a P5 job next season we are currently the only game in town and we are highly interested. With all of the other P5 jobs that opened earlier you never really even heard his name much.

Now looking to next season what P5 is going to come open. There will be no SEC jobs open. Maybe SC or Vandy. Then look at the Big 12. I think Miss State is it for him but I can understand the business side of it for him. He wants to make as much as possible and he had the advantage.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 09:16 PM
I'm intrigued by Judge as well, but my guess is that the recruiting part of it is too risky.

I would interview him if I were Cohen just to see if he blows you away.

If not, let him continue to grow in the NFL until we need another coach. Maybe we get him a rebound like USC got Pete Carroll

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 09:18 PM
Im out on Judge. He has done nothing in college to make me think he can run a program or an offense or defense.

Its got to be Napier or Grantham. Yall are down on him. He fits us perfectly and we would win as long as we gave him 1-2 mil or an OC per year

I could see Judge being our next coach after this one. Not sure we know enough about him to take the risk now.

Would love to get him on staff but I don't see how that would be possible

msstate7
01-03-2020, 09:19 PM
I'm intrigued by Judge as well, but my guess is that the recruiting part of it is too risky.

I would interview him if I were Cohen just to see if he blows you away.

If not, let him continue to grow in the NFL until we need another coach. Maybe we get him a rebound like USC got Pete Carroll

Retaining tony Hughes and putting Peterson on the field could go a long way helping judge with recruiting. I think he's an extreme long shot to get the job, but could be the highest ceiling guy on the board. Unfortunately, i think it could be a complete disaster too

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2020, 09:21 PM
I could see Judge being our next coach after this one. Not sure we know enough about him to take the risk now.

Would love to get him on staff but I don't see how that would be possible

He needs to run an offense or defense somewhere before I would be ready to pull the trigger. Theres no doubt he would know how a program and team is meant to be ran, and Im sure he knows Xs and Os. Belicheck aint letting you run shit if you dont. But that is a different world. You're dealing with grown men for the most part, you are dealing with kids here. Im not sure running the Pats STs is enough to get that top prospect to commit. That means a lot more to football nerds like me than it does a 17 year old kid with every girl from OM to Bama on his snapchat

JohnHenryBonham
01-03-2020, 09:21 PM
Judge is a risk, just like Moorhead was. Let's recap. I think it's so important for ANY SEC West school....you better hire someone who knows how the league works from the coaching level, not just as a former player. We're talking 4 million type of risk. I need to see Judge as a Head Coach somewhere before taking a chance.

Lol I think Judge has seen big time football in college and the NFL. He is two time National Champion at Alabama and three time Super Bowl Champion at New England. Yes Judge is a risk but I think his ceiling is a lot higher than Napier or Hud.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Were Judge & Napier together at Bama?

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Now looking to next season what P5 is going to come open. There will be no SEC jobs open. Maybe SC or Vandy. Then look at the Big 12. I think Miss State is it for him but I can understand the business side of it for him. He wants to make as much as possible and he had the advantage.

Agree he has the advantage in knowing we need to get this done quickly. I guess my main point is at least we aren't in a bidding war with some other schools. Unless something unexpected happens its coach for us in 2020 or stay another year in the Sun Belt with ULL.

boot
01-03-2020, 09:28 PM
Can anybody confirm Napier possibly holding out for the Baylor job to open?

Coursesuper
01-03-2020, 09:30 PM
This Joe Judge talk proves how incredibly poorly informed this lot can be. Did you people not just witness the Jovester erea? Wake up, we can't experiment here, this has to be a no nonsense can't miss hire.

Harrydawg
01-03-2020, 09:31 PM
ULL bowl game doesn’t kick until Monday night.......FYI

mparkerfd20
01-03-2020, 10:05 PM
Were Judge & Napier together at Bama?

Yes. 1 year in 2011.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-03-2020, 10:36 PM
JoVester is out- can I get a Hell Yeah? That fat OM retarded ****er called Rowdy would give me one

We have offered the job to Napier. Cohen is low-balling Napier and trying to get his number. Who can blame him? Cohen is negotiating with an agent thru Napier- so you get alot of bullshit as you go thru that process. Napier doesnt want the story of him taking the State job to break before kickoff Saturday- so that is a big deal heading into the weekend. So he may want the job- but he will keep everything at bay about him jumping ship before Monday. He wants to win 11 games this season.

In the meantime- we know we can hire Todd Grantham as HC for 3MM per and allow him some extra money to hire some offensive staff. That is Plan B, C, or even D. It's the fallback.

We will continue to talk to other agents. Cohen will stay on the phone the next 3-4 days. I'm proud they made the move they had to make instead of languising another year.

I thought ULL played Monday? Is it Saturday?

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2020, 10:41 PM

We have offered the job to Napier. Cohen is low-balling Napier and trying to get his number. Who can blame him? Cohen is negotiating with an agent thru Napier- so you get alot of bullshit as you go thru that process. Napier doesnt want the story of him taking the State job to break before kickoff Saturday- so that is a big deal heading into the weekend. So he may want the job- but he will keep everything at bay about him jumping ship before Monday. He wants to win 11 games this season.

So we fired him when we did without a sure thing lined up? Cohen needs to be fired NOW. He can't be trusted to make the hire if this is true.

DogsofAnarchy
01-03-2020, 10:47 PM
So we fired him when we did without a sure thing lined up? Cohen needs to be fired NOW. He can't be trusted to make the hire if this is true.

It’s not true. We have already established that negotiations were under way. Napier doesn’t want his team to be affected by the new coach talk. Read between the lines and chill out. Drink a beer. Have a nice weekend.

Liverpooldawg
01-03-2020, 10:58 PM
It’s not true. We have already established that negotiations were under way. Napier doesn’t want his team to be affected by the new coach talk. Read between the lines and chill out. Drink a beer. Have a nice weekend.

Hopefully you are right. Negotiations underway are NOT the same as a done deal. I've had a beer, or two. And some wine, and decent whisky. We are celebrating a milestone in our family. I stand by what I said. I said it in other threads before our celebrations started. If we fired him with no replacement done and dusted, given the timing Cohen should not be allowed to make the hire.

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 11:02 PM
This Joe Judge talk proves how incredibly poorly informed this lot can be. Did you people not just witness the Jovester erea? Wake up, we can't experiment here, this has to be a no nonsense can't miss hire.

Yes, we once hired an NFL coach who was a player and assistant coach for a college national championship team/program but his NFL job was RB coach instead of special teams coach and that didn't turn out so well. Sorry, just too risky given what we just dealt with over the last 2 seasons.

Sportsdog
01-03-2020, 11:08 PM
Just waiting patiently until official word comes out.

RougeDawg
01-03-2020, 11:09 PM
Napier is definitely keeping a tight lid on this thing.

ScoobaDawg
ULL bowl game doesn’t kick until Monday night.......FYI

Fixed.. He can't always be perfect...

DownwardDawg
Just waiting patiently until official word comes out.

We all are buddy!

PendingTransaction
01-03-2020, 11:35 PM
Napier has to be the best coach in all of football. I mean, he has won 10 games this season with the most gullible bunch of players in organized sports. We all know that he will officially be Our coach by Tuesday. But in his quest to win that elusive eleven, he has convinced his players that he isn’t leaving. Or maybe they are sequestered.

After much consideration, I think Ol Billy maybe two-timing us with Mrs. Baylor. Will Mr. Rhule give her a divorce or renew his commitment after his second consecutive year of flirting with recent NFL divorc?es?

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 11:42 PM
Looks like it's Napier or Judge.

The job is Napier's if Baylor doesn't come open or Judge's if Napier goes to Baylor.

Baylor is Napier's preference (shitty schedule, private school, Texas, more than 4 year contract) & he'll attempt to elongate this till after the bowl game.

msstate7
01-03-2020, 11:44 PM

The job is Napier's if Baylor doesn't come open or Judge's if Napier goes to Baylor.

Baylor is Napier's preference (shitty schedule, private school, Texas, more than 4 year contract) & he'll attempt to elongate this till after the bowl game.

If we do end up with judge (doubtful imo), he needs to surround himself with college coaches, not guys in the nfl.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 11:46 PM
If we do end up with judge (doubtful imo), he needs to surround himself with college coaches, not guys in the nfl.

I think he will.

Can't deny though that he should know how to run a football program.

hacker
01-03-2020, 11:48 PM
I don't get the shitty schedule thing. If you're good, wouldn't you want to compete with the best?

ScoobaDawg
01-03-2020, 11:49 PM

It's you..so i don't believe it because you freak at everything that doesn't go right... but what's the source of that?

Really Clark?
01-03-2020, 11:49 PM

Steve is reporting he will do that, in fact reaching out to possible coaches with SEC ties to bring on board. Very interested in our job and will interview after interviewing with the Giants

Really Clark?
01-03-2020, 11:51 PM
It's you..so i don't believe it because you freak at everything that doesn't go right... but what's the source of that?

Steve reported that a little while ago

Bothrops
It's gonna be Napier if he's our #1. He won't turn down the final offer. It would be one of the weirdest things in coaching carousel history if he did.

ShotgunDawg
I really want to want Judge because I believe in his pedigree, but damn I want to see him call plays or do something besides just be Belichick's right hand man.

msstate7
01-03-2020, 11:52 PM
Steve is reporting he will do that, in fact reaching out to possible coaches with SEC ties to bring on board. Very interested in our job and will interview after interviewing with the Giants

Guessing he'd hire an OC and DC, and let them do their job with him over ST?

Reunion Dog
01-03-2020, 11:53 PM
The Dallas Cowboys would argue your point on Special Teams coaching..

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 11:54 PM
It's gonna be Napier if he's our #1. He won't turn down the final offer. It would be one of the weirdest things in coaching carousel history if he did.

I'm much more concerned about Napier preferring Baylor than I am about him not wanting to come to Mississippi State

Of course the other side of this is that the Baylor angle could being blown out of proportion by the Napier side in an effort to gain contract leverage.

Think about this from Napier's agent's side: MSU has other candidates as leverage in negotiation. What does Napier have? ULL? Come on.... Napier needs a leverage point from which to negotiate with MSU & Baylor appears to be the angle IMO

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 11:55 PM
Guessing he'd hire an OC and DC, and let them do their job with him over ST?

Judge is also the WR coach for the Patriots. Not sure why he just gets called Special Teams coach.

Problem is that is that WR coach is the same position Getsy had with the Packers. Not exactly an SEC head coach caliber position

https://www.patriots.com/team/coaches-roster/joe-judge

ScoobaDawg
01-04-2020, 12:00 AM
Steve reported that a little while ago

Thanks. just saw it...

DogsofAnarchy
01-04-2020, 12:01 AM
Judge is also the WR coach for the Patriots. Not sure why he just gets called Special Teams coach.

Problem is that is that WR coach is the same position Getsy had with the Packers. Not exactly an SEC head coach caliber position

He does not match what Cohen said he was hiring today. No experience as a head coach is a recipe for disaster in this league.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 12:02 AM
He does not match what Cohen said he was hiring today. No experience as a head coach is a recipe for disaster in this league.

I hope he's our head coach someday, but I don't love the idea of it now.

I feel like in many ways being an NFL is easier. No recruiting & you have a GM. All you have to do is coach football. College football is so much more than that.

I've often thought about that. What if a college football team hired a GM who was in charge of player evaluation & decisions & then hired a football coach under him?

msstate7
01-04-2020, 12:04 AM

He's been ST cood since 2015. There's no shame in that... that's his speciality

msstate7
01-04-2020, 12:05 AM
I hope he's our head coach someday, but I don't love the idea of it now.

I feel like in many ways being an NFL is easier. No recruiting & you have a GM. All you have to do is coach football. College football is so much more than that.

I've often thought about that. What if a college football team hired a GM who was in charge of player evaluation & decisions & then hired a football coach under him?

Saban disagrees

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 12:06 AM
He's been ST cood since 2015. There's no shame in that... that's his speciality

He's also the WR coach though, which is kind of big deal because it means he has legit offensive experience.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 12:07 AM
Saban disagrees

Depends on the coach. Saban is the best recruiter of all time, so college is obviously his fit.

I do think Saban would've been successful in the NFL in time. Wasn't there long enough

msstate7
01-04-2020, 12:10 AM
Depends on the coach. Saban is the best recruiter of all time, so college is obviously his fit.

I do think Saban would've been successful in the NFL in time. Wasn't there long enough

You could be right, but he wouldn't be able to stack the deck in the nfl

pilldawg
01-04-2020, 12:24 AM

Literally, no one on these boards knows. If I told you we were about to hire Tommy Bowden?s wide receiver coach, would you believe that hire goes on to win 2 National Championships and play for another couple. Dabo Swinney was simply a college wide receiver coach that was handed the head coaching job and parlayed it into what he is today. Head Coach is mainly about an intangible organizational and leadership capability. It requires passion, focus, decisiveness and toughness. It doesn?t require some special Xs and Os capability. Every hire in the SEC is a crapshoot.

ShotgunDawg
01-04-2020, 12:37 AM
Literally, no one on these boards knows. If I told you we were about to hire Tommy Bowden?s wide receiver coach, would you believe that hire goes on to win 2 National Championships and play for another couple. Dabo Swinney was simply a college wide receiver coach that was handed the head coaching job and parlayed it into what he is today. Head Coach is mainly about an intangible organizational and leadership capability. It requires passion, focus, decisiveness and toughness. It doesn?t require some special Xs and Os capability. Every hire in the SEC is a crapshoot.

Completely agree and you can make a Judge type hire if he's an internal candidate that you've been around for a while & seen how he interacts with players.

dawgday166
01-04-2020, 12:38 AM

Saban average when all talent and reffing is equal.

BuckyIsAB****
01-04-2020, 01:39 AM

Its Napier or Grantham. If we hire Judge over Grantham then we are done

Todd4State
01-04-2020, 02:16 AM
I can't see Cohen going with someone that doesn't have head coaching experience this time around. Judge and Grantham both seem too risky just because of that alone.

Todd4State
01-04-2020, 02:20 AM

This is ridiculous. Hiring anyone a day or two would be a monumental disaster for MSU.

1. That's pretty close to tampering. Meaning we would open up ourselves to a potential lawsuit from Joe- which he would win. Or have to pay a lot more money out of court to settle.

2. And because of that you don't want agents and potential future coaches knowing that MSU will go behind your back while you still have a job. That's a terrible look for us.

msbulldog
01-04-2020, 07:15 AM

You heard it mentioned a lot with the mississippi and Arkansas openings.

bulldawg28
01-04-2020, 07:34 AM

In normal circumstances I would agree. However, Joey isn't the norm. He's been groomed by the greatest to ever do it and knows football like non other. The structure, teaching, knowledge, and notoriety he could bring with his NFL connections would be nearly the best in the SEC only comparable to Nick Saban.

BB30
01-04-2020, 08:28 AM
Only thing that worries me about grantham is a potential revolving door at the OC position, something similar to what Mullen had with DCs.

It’s easier IMO to replace DCs than it is to be learning a new offense every couple of years. As soon as we land a good OC he will be plucked up by a Bama type school. Even if we open the checkbook up(which it doesn’t look like we are willing to do for assistants).

Could potentially hurt recruiting and continuity in the offense.

Sienfield
01-04-2020, 08:39 AM
I've been thinking it is Napier but Cohen said it would be someone with a love for MSU. How does that fit with Napier. I guess anyone could love MSU for $4M though. I see Judge has ties with MSU, Hud has ties with MSU, and Grantham has ties with MSU. However, I'm not sure Cohen can be trusted on his candidate's qualifications.

Judge might be interesting because he might let others run the offense and defense like Coach O. I think that could be good but he could also be like Croom and insist on a West Coach Offense.

hacker
01-04-2020, 08:43 AM
I've been thinking it is Napier but Cohen said it would be someone with a love for MSU. How does that fit with Napier. I guess anyone could love MSU for $4M though. I see Judge has ties with MSU, Hud has ties with MSU, and Grantham has ties with MSU. However, I'm not sure Cohen can be trusted on his candidate's qualifications.

Judge might be interesting because he might let others run the offense and defense like Coach O. I think that could be good but he could also be like Croom and insist on a West Coach Offense.

It's an ambiguous statement he made at a PC. He could mean they'll eventually love MSU. It's not something you can measure. I wouldn't read into it.

Schultzy
01-04-2020, 08:57 AM
What is Grantham's record as a Head Coach?

I'd much rather have Napier or Hudspeth who are both disciplinarians and detail oriented. If we're going to hire a first timer it needs to be Judge which would be a bigger splash than a retread DC with a name that's bounced around.