PDA

View Full Version : Hearing

Dawgfan77
01-03-2020, 05:44 PM
We are going to make a major $$$$ investment in staff

jwells
01-03-2020, 05:48 PM
I believe you but just pointing out that doesn't every new coach get this statement made about their staff? When Moorhead was hired, I specifically remember a post saying that Joe was taking a reasonable salary so he could be aggressive with assistants. And yet here we are 2 years later.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 05:49 PM
I believe you but just pointing out that doesn't every new coach get this statement made about their staff? When Moorhead was hired, I specifically remember a post saying that Joe was taking a reasonable salary so he could be aggressive with assistants. And yet here we are 2 years later.

I think it's reasonable to believe that Cohen knows he has to get this right & will pull out all the stops

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2020, 05:50 PM
I think it's reasonable to believe that Cohen knows he has to get this right & will pull out all the stops

One would hope.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-03-2020, 05:51 PM
If we want Napier I cant imagine hes not insisting on it. Weve got one of the lowest paid staffs in the conference, it's really really hard to get good coaches, let alone keep them. And hes a big recruiter so I'm sure he wants more than the 500k we spend on recruiting staff.

I'm all for it. 1) Its not my money, 2) our athletic department is 15M in the black so we can afford it, and 3) I want to win

Coursesuper
01-03-2020, 05:52 PM
I'm hearing we are going to have to in order to bring in the guy we want. Assistants, analyst, recruiting staff and recruiting budgets all will see very significant increases.

jwells
01-03-2020, 05:52 PM
If we want Napier I cant imagine hes not insisting on it. Weve got one of the lowest paid staffs in the conference, it's really really hard to get good coaches, let alone keep them. And hes a big recruiter so I'm sure he wants more than the 500k we spend on recruiting staff.

I'm all for it. 1) Its not my money, 2) our athletic department is 15M in the black so we can afford it, and 3) I want to win

I'm with you. Let's do this right and put our best foot forward and win some games.

jwells
01-03-2020, 05:53 PM
I'm hearing we are going to have to in order to bring in the guy we want. Assistants, analyst, recruiting staff and recruiting budgets all will see very significant increases.

If that's Napier, that is very encouraging. He's not coming in to get a paycheck, he's here to win and take us to the next level.

HailStateSZN19
01-03-2020, 05:54 PM
This has to be obvious to Cohen. We're sitting dead last in the SEC in assistants' salary pool around $3.6 mil according to USA Today article. That needs to be around or slightly above $5 mil to bring in a really solid staff. Let's hope we open up the damn check book this go around.

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2020, 05:54 PM

Its almost like that makes sense.

We wont do it though bc thats too much like right

OLJWales
01-03-2020, 05:56 PM
I remember back in the day it was shocking when JWS was the first college coach to break the $1M barrier at A&M. Amazing.

OLJWales
01-03-2020, 05:57 PM
Its almost like that makes sense.

We wont do it though bc thats too much like right

Yes we ARE!!

MetEdDawg
01-03-2020, 05:58 PM

That's the Alabama way of doing things. That would be very telling if true.

DLGDawg
01-03-2020, 06:00 PM

Yep. Guys running everywhere according to Napier. But he said there is definitely a method to the madness.

ScoobaDawg
01-03-2020, 06:03 PM
That's the Alabama way of doing things. That would be very telling if true.

Exactly. it wouldn't be just upping the bank for quality people... but QUANTITY.... Analysts... more recruiting staff...

Commercecomet24
01-03-2020, 06:05 PM

Heard the same. Look for us to go all out we have to get this one right. No more mulligans

ArrowDawg
01-03-2020, 06:06 PM
We are going to make a major $$$$ investment in staff

If we don't, we're wasting our time. We've been too damn cheap when didn't have to be.

dawgday166
01-03-2020, 06:06 PM
Exactly. it wouldn't be just upping the bank for quality people... but QUANTITY.... Analysts... more recruiting staff...

I would think it would be both.

Coach34
01-03-2020, 06:07 PM
If we can seal it- we are about to hire a major S&C coach also.

Coursesuper
01-03-2020, 06:09 PM
Heard the same. Look for us to go all out we have to get this one right. No more mulligans

Exactly, were playing Tournament golf and it's time to act like it.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2020, 06:10 PM
Exactly, were playing Tournament golf and it's time to act like it.

Amen!

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 06:18 PM

Coach, what's your take on the Napier reports of him turning us down? Hearing anything on that?

GT3F8
01-03-2020, 06:36 PM
Coach, what's your take on the Napier reports of him turning us down? Hearing anything on that?

Bert says it is all a smokescreen for Napier....see Bert?s thread....he da man!

Coach34
01-03-2020, 06:50 PM

Cohen is penny-pinching and Napier is making him step up. Napier wants $4MM- pay the man

Commercecomet24
01-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Cohen is penny-pinching and Napier is making him step up. Napier wants $4MM- pay the man

Exactly! Close the freaking deal Cohen! The mans told you what he wants now close the deal. You can't blow this one!

KOdawg1
01-03-2020, 07:00 PM

I swear to God, if Cohen botches this bc he's a cheap ass, him and Joe can move out together.

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2020, 07:01 PM
I refuse to believe we would do this again. We are in the SEC stop acting like its 1989 and lets play ball.

We'd better not actually be penny pinching AGAIN

BuckyIsAB****
01-03-2020, 07:03 PM
I refuse to believe we would do this again. We are in the SEC stop acting like its 1989 and lets play ball.

We'd better not actually be penny pinching AGAIN

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Guys I cant blame Cohen here: if we gave Napier that extra 500k wed only be 14.5M in the black, not 15M. Think responsibly people, and ask yourself wwltd

Coursesuper
01-03-2020, 07:19 PM
Exactly! Close the freaking deal Cohen! The mans told you what he wants now close the deal. You can't blow this one!

This is why you don't hire an egotistical sob baseball coach to be your athletic director.

starkvegasdawg
01-03-2020, 07:20 PM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/bdpIDWZFkI67S/source.gif

SailingDawg
01-03-2020, 07:29 PM
I wish we could all stop saying "Hearing..." It sounds like Yancey Pants!

War Machine Dawg
01-03-2020, 08:24 PM
This is why you don't hire an egotistical sob baseball coach to be your athletic director.

But Naborhooddog says Cohen is a great AD and we don't know what we're talking about. Cohen can't possibly 17 this up or have fired Moorhead without a deal with someone else in place. ND has worked in athletic departments with SEC baseball coaches, so his opinion is more valid than ours and can't possibly be wrong!*****

Jack Lambert
01-03-2020, 08:32 PM

I don't think State is at a point we can do two do overs.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 08:36 PM
I don't think State is at a point we can do two do overs.

We can't

You can make 1 bad hire & still survive so long as you recognize it quickly. You can't make two bad hires in a row.

Cohen has to get this right

TALL DAWG
01-03-2020, 08:40 PM

U need to check ur figure from #2 above.
I read last week we had something like $50M+ in our
rainy day fund. If correct, we have a lot more in the black.

Doggie_Style
01-03-2020, 08:42 PM
We can't

You can make 1 bad hire & still survive so long as you recognize it quickly. You can't make two bad hires in a row.

Cohen has to get this right

Which is why he may go with Hud. It seems the most conservative option.

Dannyripms
01-04-2020, 01:42 PM
This has to be obvious to Cohen. We're sitting dead last in the SEC in assistants' salary pool around $3.6 mil according to USA Today article. That needs to be around or slightly above $5 mil to bring in a really solid staff. Let's hope we open up the damn check book this go around.

He needs to understand that that money he spends will be returned 10 fold. Its an investment and if it goes well, erollment increases, merchandise increased sales, endowments increase, etc. Even though Saban gets paid a ton, i'm willing to bet his time in Alabama has generated a billion dollars in return for the town and University of Alabama.