PDA

View Full Version : WMD's End of the Jughead Error Thoughts

War Machine Dawg
01-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Ding Dong, Jughead's gone!!! It's a great day to be a Bulldog. My quick take on the situation has arrived.

1. This firing was long overdue. I and many others knew last year this wasn't going to work for Jughead. He just doesn't have "it" to be a head coach at this level. I think Finebaum (F that guy anyway) made a really good point today: When you delay the inevitable, it usually boomerangs back to you. This move should've been made after the Battle for the Golden Egg, period. The fact that we didn't make the move then is inexcusable and amateur hour.

2. Our admin should've had these concerns about the culture of the program before now. We've seen the undisciplined play and behavior for 2 years now. It shouldn't have taken a fight and our QB getting his eye socked broken to wake up those in charge.

3. I told you last year that all the coaches who left were rats getting off the sinking ship. The only coaches who stayed that I thought were worth a damn were T-Buck and Shoop.

4. At least we made the hard call, albeit a month too late. That said, I still don't approve of the process. It reeks of another emotional, short sighted decision instead of one made based on evidence, logic, and vision. Bottom line is it's the right result but it's a very flawed process that got us here. That is NOT good.

5. Reading between the lines of Cohen's presser, I think we've got our guy. My gut says it's Napier, but we'll find out soon enough. I'd love to see us find a way to bring in Joe Judge in some capacity, regardless of who we hire. Maybe make him OC and/or assistant HC.

6. Regardless of who's next, I hope we didn't make the move to fire Moorhead without an agreement in place with whoever it is. If we did, we're complete dumbasses and deserve the horrible hire we'll inevitably make as a result.

7. Most of the above can be summed up like this: Process is every bit as important as results. If you have a good process, good results tend to follow. Getting the right result but having a poor process is a recipe for mediocrity at best, disaster at worst. I'm very afraid that we're in the latter camp.

8. Most important point I can make: Despite eventually making the right call, we need a major overhaul in the Bryan Building, starting with Cohen. The man is a fantastic baseball GM, but he's very much in over his head as an Athletic Director. He's had to fire 2 of his 3 major coaching hires after very short tenures. And more than that, he seems to be driven by emotional decision making rather than logical decision making based on evidence. Cohen also seems completely lost when it comes to playing the agent game. Like it or not, agents are a big part of modern college athletics. If you can't deal with them effectively, you have no business being in charge of an SEC athletic department.

We need to go out and hire an AD that has experience in both business and sports. And most importantly, he needs to have no or very limited MSU ties. One of the biggest problems I had with Cohen getting the job, outside of his complete lack of qualifications, was that he was another good ol' boy MSU inbred hire. We need new blood to bring fresh ideas into our athletic department. Another MSU guy isn't going to do that for us. The last "outsider" we had was Byrne, and I think we'd all agree he has been the best AD at State in our lifetimes.

9. Cohen isn't alone in needing to go, though. We need to modernize and bring in fresh blood in every level of our athletic department. But one that sticks out like a sore thumb I feel compelled to mention individually is our compliance department. Why is Bracky Brett, a failed HS coach, still in charge of the compliance for our major athletic programs in the year 2020? If we want to keep him on staff over the non-revenue sports, I have no problem with that. He's good for that role. But for football, men's & women's hoops and baseball we need to have either a former NCAA compliance official or an attorney in charge. No more self reporting every time we fart. No more giving the NCAA all the evidence they ask for, plus extra evidence, and doing all their work for them. Join the big boy club and make the NCAA work to dig up the dirt like almost every other school with sense. If Northern Miss didn't get the death penalty for all the BS they pulled during this last investigation, then the NCAA is completely toothless. We'd be much better off by forcing them to do their own work from now on instead of self-imposing penalties much harsher than we'd get by making them do their job and prove we broke rules.

Just my thoughts, feel free to agree or disagree. Either way, today is a good day for us. We'll see how the rest plays out.

Mobile Bay
01-03-2020, 04:40 PM
The only problem with bringing in Joe Judge as anything but HC is that he is already being looked at as a head coach in the nFL.

DeputyDawg94
01-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Agree. Especially on the compliance department part.

DeputyDawg94
01-03-2020, 04:48 PM
Delete

BiscuitEater
01-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Most important point I can make: Despite eventually making the right call, we need a major overhaul in the Bryan Building, starting with Cohen. The man is a fantastic baseball GM, but he's very much in over his head as an Athletic Director.

This is a 'make or break' hire for Cohen. If he doesn't have a coach already committed, he should fired on the spot.

War Machine Dawg
01-03-2020, 04:51 PM
The only problem with bringing in Joe Judge as anything but HC is that he is already being looked at as a head coach in the nFL.

Definitely an issue. But if we pay enough, I think we could bring him home. Make him our very own Joe Brady.

NaborhoodDawg
01-03-2020, 04:58 PM
Let me say this as clearly as humanly possible....John Cohen is a fantastic AD. He isn?t without a learning curve but he was groomed to be the AD for years while he was our baseball coach. The other note is baseball coaches often make the best AD?s because you have to be one hell of a manager to fit a roster using 11.7 scholarships. Believe me, I know firsthand how much hell it is trying to make that work. He will do some things that make you scratch your head but overall, there is no one better right now to be our AD. Instead of thinking of this hire being a month too late, why don?t you realize that the buyout of a potential hire and our current coach went down significantly by waiting. We also had more ammo to fire him on a national scale by being able to use the bowl game and the WG/GS fight. I also don?t think you can blame any of the hires on him. Who the hell was supposed to know that Cannizzaro would do what he did off the field. In terms of hiring a baseball coach, Cann was a damn good one. We also had nothing but good press when we hired JoMo. Everyone said he?d be a superstar. It is not Cohen?s fault at all that it did not work out. That?s just how it is. Your blame is misplaced. I promise you that no one is more pissed that it didn?t work out with Joe than Cohen is. He is not going to make the same mistake again. He?ll know what he?s looking for in interviews this time. Cohen is the same as he was when he was a coach. He is smart, he is damn intense, and he gets the job done. He?s not the marketing genius that Strick was but still, we could do a hell of a lot worse. Let me guess, you?d want someone like Rhett Hobart? Good luck with that shit

Edited to say: Look at the difference between the Cann hire and the Lemo hire. John knew he wasn?t going to go get another young, up and coming coach. He saw that mistake and hired someone in stark contrast to that. He knows what he?s doing. One thing I can just about guarantee is this: the new coach he hires is going to be one of the meanest SOB?s we have ever come across.

War Machine Dawg
01-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Let me say this as clearly as humanly possible....John Cohen is a fantastic AD. He isn’t without a learning curve but he was groomed to be the AD for years while he was our baseball coach. The other note is baseball coaches often make the best AD’s because you have to be one hell of a manager to fit a roster using 11.7 scholarships. Believe me, I know firsthand how much hell it is trying to make that work. He will do some things that make you scratch your head but overall, there is no one better right now to be our AD. Instead of thinking of this hire being a month too late, why don’t you realize that the buyout of a potential hire and our current coach went down significantly by waiting. We also had more ammo to fire him on a national scale by being able to use the bowl game and the WG/GS fight. I also don’t think you can blame any of the hires on him. Who the hell was supposed to know that Cannizzaro would do what he did off the field. In terms of hiring a baseball coach, Cann was a damn good one. We also had nothing but good press when we hired JoMo. Everyone said he’d be a superstar. It is not Cohen’s fault at all that it did not work out. That’s just how it is. Your blame is misplaced. I promise you that no one is more pissed that it didn’t work out with Joe than Cohen is. He is not going to make the same mistake again. He’ll know what he’s looking for in interviews this time. Cohen is the same as he was when he was a coach. He is smart, he is damn intense, and he gets the job done. He’s not the marketing genius that Strick was but still, we could do a hell of a lot worse. Let me guess, you’d want someone like Rhett Hobart? Good luck with that shit

Did you even read what I wrote? I want an outsider with both business and sports experience. I'd be pissed as hell if we fired Cohen just to hire someone like Rhett.

And yes, I can sure as 17 blame Cann on Cohen. If he really wanted to know that Cann couldn't keep his dick in his pants, he could've found out. He didn't want to know because he wanted to be AD more than our baseball coach. There were whispers at the time that Cohen didn't do his homework well enough and missed something with Cann.

Every coaching hire Cohen has made has been a shit show in some aspect. He shot his mouth off to Bo and set unfair expectations for the second baseball hire, ultimately leading to initial dissatisfaction with Lemonis. And that was unfair to Lemonis, who's proven he's a damn good coach.

STFU and let the grown ups who know what they're discussing continue to talk.

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 05:25 PM
on #9 we've been asking that question on these boards for years. Only way to get a true answer would be to send that question directly to Mark Keenum. The compliance director answers directly to the MSU president.

Maroonthirteen
01-03-2020, 05:26 PM
Wyatt said this morning that Napier told OM and Arkansas that he was working for ULL until after his bowl.

Assuming true..... i couldn't imagine the shit storm taking place outside Cohens door if we had a pretend coaching search from thanksgiving weekend until Tuesday, Jan 7.

NaborhoodDawg
01-03-2020, 05:32 PM
I’m gonna say this once and only once dickhead. I have coached and worked at many more colleges and programs than you have. I post here to give an inside look into how things work when the opportunity is provided. I read what you wrote and it was a slam piece on Cohen based on nothing but your short sighted opinion. My post was to give you an idea of what people that actually work in the business and know what the hell they are talking about think of Cohen and the job he has done and is doing. As far as your last little snarky comment, I will continue to talk to amongst adults that know what they are talking about seeing as I’m probably a shitload older than you. Seeing as how I can pick up the phone and call any one of the baseball coaches in the SEC considering i’ve Worked with or against all of them, I will continue to talk to people who know what they are talking about because it sure isn’t you. Only people who know nothing about college baseball were upset with the Lemonis hire. Anyone that has worked in baseball in the last 15 years knew that it was a grand slam hire. So that tells me right there that you know nothing. The next time you want to come at someone like a preteen girl starting her period, make sure you 1.) at least know something about that person 2.) are at least one ounce smarter than that person, and 3.) that that person hasn’t made a career working in the same industry that you claim to know so much about.

chef dixon
01-03-2020, 05:35 PM
The process is overrated. Everyone said we did such a great job 2 years ago and look at the results lol

vv83
01-03-2020, 05:36 PM
I’m gonna say this once and only once dickhead. I have coached and worked at many more colleges and programs than you have. I post here to give an inside look into how things work when the opportunity is provided. I read what you wrote and it was a slam piece on Cohen based on nothing but your short sighted opinion. My post was to give you an idea of what people that actually work in the business and know what the hell they are talking about think of Cohen and the job he has done and is doing. As far as your last little snarky comment, I will continue to talk to amongst adults that know what they are talking about seeing as I’m probably a shitload older than you. Seeing as how I can pick up the phone and call any one of the baseball coaches in the SEC considering i’ve Worked with or against all of them, I will continue to talk to people who know what they are talking about because it sure isn’t you. Only people who know nothing about college baseball were upset with the Lemonis hire. Anyone that has worked in baseball in the last 15 years knew that it was a grand slam hire. So that tells me right there that you know nothing. The next time you want to come at someone like a preteen girl starting her period, make sure you 1.) at least know something about that person 2.) are at least one ounce smarter than that person, and 3.) that that person hasn’t made a career working in the same industry that you claim to know so much about.

When you start crying about how experienced you are and how many important people you work with, it’s hard to be taken seriously. That said you’re clearly not reading or comprehending what people on here are saying. Suggesting anyone on here would want Rhett (lol) to replace Cohen shows you aren’t listening to what others on here are saying and just rushing to your keyboard to throw a fit

NaborhoodDawg
01-03-2020, 05:42 PM
Rhett was an example. I’m not trying to toot my horn or experience, but i’m Also not going to let some slapdick talk down to me either. Sorry you took it as that but I will always defend myself.