PDA

View Full Version : We Have Our Guy...

Doggie_Style
01-03-2020, 01:43 PM
...despite Cohen's illusion of a coaching search that he spoke of during the presser, we have our guy locked up. I think it's probably Napier but it might not be. One thing JC mentioned was it had to be someone that would be a fit with a very unique environment that is MSU. I think he used the words someone who loves MSU. I think Napier would be a fit but he doesn't have any direct ties here. Only Hud, Grantham and Judge would fit that bill. He did say they had a surprising level of interest in the job. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

msstate7
01-03-2020, 01:52 PM
Wonder how many of the interested parties have multiple CWSs haha

smootness
01-03-2020, 02:05 PM
Everyone always says there has been surprising interest in the job. Shoot, Cohen told us during the baseball search that we had basically every coach in the country knocking our door down and that whoever we hired would be a 1st ballot HOFer.

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 02:29 PM
Well, if we have our guy, and its anyone but Napier (who still has a game), is there any reason to delay the announcement? I guess optics would look bad if we didn't put some time between the firing and the hiring.

DeputyDawg94
01-03-2020, 02:48 PM

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing.

DownwardDawg
01-03-2020, 02:50 PM
I bet it's Hud this time.

dawgday166
01-03-2020, 02:50 PM
Rosie saying there is no "done" deal. Saying Napier is the leader in the clubhouse but a deal isn't done with him yet.

Tbonewannabe
01-03-2020, 03:05 PM
I bet it's Hud this time.

Hud is probably the worst case scenario and that isn't a bad thing. I think he could be a good coach and definitely better than what we had. I would still prefer Napier though.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2020, 03:07 PM

That was a good one! Rep Given!

TrapGame
01-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Hud is probably the worst case scenario and that isn't a bad thing. I think he could be a good coach and definitely better than what we had. I would still prefer Napier though.

I'm good with Hud or Napier. I think both would be good coaches. Hud just may surprise some folks. He may be the guy that makes us a perennial 9 win team.

gtowndawg
01-03-2020, 03:09 PM

Napier or Hud, I'm good either way. As long as we get serious about REAL money for assistants and a REAL recruiting budget. Either coach would do well under those circumstances in my opinion. Let's go.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2020, 03:12 PM
I want a 5 million dollar coach, with 2 million dollar coordinators.

gtowndawg
01-03-2020, 03:14 PM
I want a 5 million dollar coach, with 2 million dollar coordinators.

We're working on it Billy. Hang tight.

NCDawg
01-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Satterfield would be a great hire, but doubt if he would leave Louisville now. It's a shame Cohen didn't hire him 2 years ago-we wouldn't be in this predicament now.

BiscuitEater
01-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Rosie saying there is no "done" deal. Saying Napier is the leader in the clubhouse but a deal isn't done with him yet.

Hope not. We should have learned our lesson when we hired Rick Ray.

PendingTransaction
01-03-2020, 03:22 PM
We're working on it Billy. Hang tight.

Got me! I’m really a 2 million dollar coach. And there no way I am paying a damn assistant half of what I make. Hell, give me 2.8 and 2 400k assistants.

Doggie_Style
01-03-2020, 03:25 PM

If you have only 'agreed in principle' then it's not a done deal.....but it's all but a done deal.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2020, 03:27 PM
If you have only 'agreed in principle' then it's not a done deal.....but it's all but a done deal.

This. And until a coach is announced it's not a "done deal". Lots of plausible deniablity there lol.

Doggie_Style
01-03-2020, 03:30 PM
This. And until a coach is announced it's not a "done deal". Lots of plausible deniablity there lol.

precisely!!

MrKotter
01-03-2020, 03:49 PM

Realistically, even if the Napier deal is done nobody closely associated with State is going to spill the beans until the time is right. If Napier didn't have a game left the news would probably be trickling out sooner.

Dawgface
01-03-2020, 03:50 PM

Plus they want to keep it quiet for Napier and his bowl game.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2020, 03:50 PM

Yep and I respect that.

OLJWales
01-03-2020, 03:51 PM
Bert stare says Napier. Then it's Napier unless Cohen Schlosses it up.

dawgday166
01-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Realistically, even if the Napier deal is done nobody closely associated with State is going to spill the beans until the time is right. If Napier didn't have a game left the news would probably be trickling out sooner.

Not arguing. But still apprehensive and hope we pull it off.

TrapGame
01-03-2020, 03:55 PM

Bingo. Napier sounds like a class act. This is about his team now. He doesn't want any distractions. I'm sure there will be a few rumblings by Monday but it won't break until after the kick off.

DeputyDawg94
01-03-2020, 04:01 PM
I’d probably prefer Napier slightly over Hud but I think in 4-5 years Napier may get poached from us. I believe Hud would be here as long as he wanted provided he was winning.

coachnorm
01-03-2020, 04:01 PM
...despite Cohen's illusion of a coaching search that he spoke of during the presser, we have our guy locked up. I think it's probably Napier but it might not be. One thing JC mentioned was it had to be someone that would be a fit with a very unique environment that is MSU. I think he used the words someone who loves MSU. I think Napier would be a fit but he doesn't have any direct ties here. Only Hud, Grantham and Judge would fit that bill. He did say they had a surprising level of interest in the job. I'm excited to see how it plays out.

Direct ties did not impede Nick Saban when he left Michigan State for LSU. Direct ties did not impede Pete Carroll when he left the east coast ie NE Patriots and NY Jets for USC. The bottom line is either the coach has MAJOR "A" GAME or he does not. I bet there is an NFL coordinator out there who could do a lights out job in Starkville? Look at Eric Bieneme sp? for KC Chiefs getting looked at for NFL job?

The Federalist Engineer
01-03-2020, 04:03 PM

Oh damn, has a Target and Talbots opened in Starkville since that Schollsnagle family visit

DownwardDawg
01-03-2020, 04:05 PM
I’d probably prefer Napier slightly over Hud but I think in 4-5 years Napier may get poached from us. I believe Hud would be here as long as he wanted provided he was winning.

I agree

preachermatt83
01-03-2020, 04:07 PM

Schlosses it up!! Hahahaha epic. You are the elite dawg champion of today. Hahaha

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 04:11 PM

Let's hope to hell that we get 4 or 5 good years out of a coach that people want to poach. Then you go hire another one.

After Moorhead, we've got to hire the RIGHT guy whether we think they may get poached or not.

MSU is not a stepping stone job & after losing Mullen, my guess is that Cohen will go to every length possible to make sure we never lose the right guy again

gtowndawg
01-03-2020, 04:11 PM

Exactly. I have no reason to doubt Bert after that showing yesterday. Billy Napier is the next coach.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
01-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Bingo. Napier sounds like a class act. This is about his team now. He doesn't want any distractions. I'm sure there will be a few rumblings by Monday but it won't break until after the kick off.

I wonder how this affects the line on the ULL game. Wonder if there will be any movement.

DeputyDawg94
01-03-2020, 04:29 PM
Let's hope to hell that we get 4 or 5 good years out of a coach that people want to poach. Then you go hire another one.

After Moorhead, we've got to hire the RIGHT guy whether we think they may get poached or not.

MSU is not a stepping stone job & after losing Mullen, my guess is that Cohen will go to every length possible to make sure we never lose the right guy again
I agree 100%. Just saying that if Hud is the man we’re good.