PDA

View Full Version : Steroids guy gets Nationals manager job

bully99
10-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Matt Williams long associated with steroids and HGH becomes Washington Nationals job . Baseball is so damn hypocritical. Just like big papi, who is big time steroids user but the media wipes his ass at every turn.

TheRef
10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Matt Williams long associated with steroids and HGH becomes Washington Nationals job . Baseball is so damn hypocritical. Just like big papi, who is big time steroids user but the media wipes his ass at every turn.

Ortiz has only had one positive steroid test. So how can you say that he is a "big time steroid user"? Does that make A-Rod a "uber big time steroid user"

FlabLoser
10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks Bracky.

engie
10-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Seems like an excellent choice as manager.

IDGAF if he "cheated" and extended his career a few years. MLB and the "steroid era" is the MOST hypocritical thing I've ever seen. No testing. Use the long ball and the superstars as your entire "sales pitch" to get the game back from the 94 strike. Act shocked when the idiots in the general public figure out what EVERYONE had already realized for that entire era. Throw all the players that "saved" the game under the bus. Plead ignorance that no one with a brain believes. Rinse, repeat.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-31-2013, 01:31 PM

IDGAF if he "cheated" and extended his career a few years. MLB and the "steroid era" is the MOST hypocritical thing I've ever seen. No testing. Use the long ball and the superstars as your entire "sales pitch" to get the game back from the 94 strike. Act shocked when the idiots in the general public figure out what EVERYONE had already realized for that entire era. Throw all the players that "saved" the game under the bus. Plead ignorance that no one with a brain believes. Rinse, repeat.

Don't forget that during the steroid era, most of that shit wasn't banned. They just went on a witch hunt. I don't know how you call a guy a cheater for using something that is not banned from the game.

Dawg61
10-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Matt Williams is one of my fav players all-time. I hate the Nats though

dawgs
10-31-2013, 04:29 PM
steroids make you manage better?

Todd4State
10-31-2013, 04:36 PM

Nicely said. And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those players didn't even know that they were taking steroids. They all got personal trainers and if they said "take this" they just trusted them.

Todd4State
10-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Don't forget that during the steroid era, most of that shit wasn't banned. They just went on a witch hunt. I don't know how you call a guy a cheater for using something that is not banned from the game.

Exactly. But their childhood heroes didn't use them, so it makes them cheaters. Even though I'm 100% sure Ruth would have used them if they were available. And probably a lot of the ball players from the 60's who are upset about their records being broken.

dawgs
10-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Exactly. But their childhood heroes didn't use them, so it makes them cheaters. Even though I'm 100% sure Ruth would have used them if they were available. And probably a lot of the ball players from the 60's who are upset about their records being broken.

players in the 60s and 70s were taking stuff. every clubhouse had a bowl of "greenies" (uppers) for the players to pop when they needed a boost. that gets you suspended and labeled a cheater now.

Todd4State
10-31-2013, 06:00 PM
players in the 60s and 70s were taking stuff. every clubhouse had a bowl of "greenies" (uppers) for the players to pop when they needed a boost. that gets you suspended and labeled a cheater now.

But according to those players, those weren't performance enhancing becasuse they didn't break home run records.

bully99
10-31-2013, 06:14 PM
What angers me is when I hear a guy like Don Sutton say he considers Hank Aaron still homerun king, I have no problems with that opinion. But Sutton was one of the most notorious cheaters in history and his pontificating on cheaters is sick. I saw Sutton pitch many times and he was greased from head to toe. Never threw a straight ball.

dawgs
10-31-2013, 07:22 PM
But according to those players, those weren't performance enhancing becasuse they didn't break home run records.

I'd say they did. Guy comes in dragging ass on a day after night game, pops greenies and has the energy to go out and play at a higher, more focused level. Just because it doesn't add muscle doesn't mean it didn't aid in breaking records and enhancing performance.

Also, guys today get punished for "greenies" just like roids.

Todd4State
10-31-2013, 08:02 PM
What angers me is when I hear a guy like Don Sutton say he considers Hank Aaron still homerun king, I have no problems with that opinion. But Sutton was one of the most notorious cheaters in history and his pontificating on cheaters is sick. I saw Sutton pitch many times and he was greased from head to toe. Never threw a straight ball.

Exactly. And yet he had all of these Hall of Fame voters campaigning for him- the same ones that are ripping the steroid guys to shreds.

Todd4State
10-31-2013, 08:03 PM
I'd say they did. Guy comes in dragging ass on a day after night game, pops greenies and has the energy to go out and play at a higher, more focused level. Just because it doesn't add muscle doesn't mean it didn't aid in breaking records and enhancing performance.

Also, guys today get punished for "greenies" just like roids.

Absolutely correct- but no one seems to want to talk about that. If I was a steroid user, I'd bust their balls on that point.

bully99
10-31-2013, 09:48 PM
I'll tell another guy who was greased up all over.Our own Jeff Brantley. Jeff had substances on every part of his being. Before he threw every pitch he's wiping something on his hands. That's why he pitched so long with average stuff.

messageboardsuperhero
10-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Almost every ball player who's made it to the big leagues has had to do something suspect to get there, except some of your Trouts, Ken Griffey Jrs, etc. who just had insane talent. The only people who get to the bigs are people who would go the extra mile to gain an advantage.

Sorry if that revelation "ruins" what people think is "pure" about the game, but it's true. I can't remember what poster said this the other day, but he was right when he said 95% of big leaguers are uber-competitive, and the only way for most of them to get there is to fight and claw their way to the top. Don't think for a second that those players 50 years ago wouldn't have used steroids to get a leg-up, given the opportunity.

Coach007
10-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Ignorance plays a huge part in this. Forsure... 100% tested, 100% proven by testing..... you can increase your test, free T by certain methods. Not illegal. Certain foods even..

But let's be honest, some "coaches" and "trainers" could care less about the person they are in charge of. It's their bottom dollar. Their pocket. It does not matter the ruins of what they leave behind.

That is a fact!

Bullmutt
11-01-2013, 10:39 AM
This is basically about human nature at work. A few bonafide 'bad apples" seek an unfair advantage and ultimately force otherwise "good apples" to respond in kind in order to survive. I just think it's a damn shame that when you see great sports feats today, you can't help but ask yourself, "How much of that performance is actually due to his/her natural talent and great effort, and how much is artificial because of doping?." It has served to place an asterisk next to all of the great performances in sport.

dawgs
11-01-2013, 12:03 PM
This is basically about human nature at work. A few bonafide 'bad apples" seek an unfair advantage and ultimately force otherwise "good apples" to respond in kind in order to survive. I just think it's a damn shame that when you see great sports feats today, you can't help but ask yourself, "How much of that performance is actually due to his/her natural talent and great effort, and how much is artificial because of doping?." It has served to place an asterisk next to all of the great performances in sport.

meh, i think the line is pretty arbitrary and blurry between what is legal (or "natural") and what's illegal/banned/PEDs. there isn't a guy that's made it in professional sports who didn't use some kind of supplement to help him get there. now where the line between "supplement" and "PED" begins and ends is a bit tougher to figure out. and if players are taking something now that isn't banned, but will be in 5 years, were they cheating? or just using a legal supplement?