PDA

View Full Version : Wolken Giving Cohen the Bidness & I agree 100%

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2020, 11:55 PM
The process by which we've gone about this is amateur & frankly wrong to Joe Moorhead. This adminstration has basically cut his heart with a spoon instead of performing a clean break.

I'm sure the details are different behind closed doors, but the outside perception is a lack of decisiveness, vision, & a plan.

I like Cohen, but this has to be cleaned up. From an outside perspective, the way MSU has handled this isn't professional.

The process was way off.

ScottH
01-02-2020, 11:56 PM
Our administration is looking amateurish

chef dixon
01-02-2020, 11:58 PM
Does it really matter? I mean 2 years ago Cohen looked like a pro by being ahead of Mullen leaving and having Joevester in a couple day search, everyone applauded it. Now look where we are.

None of this matters. Just do what we need to do.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2020, 11:59 PM

It's not good.

Everything may end up working out alright, but in order for there to be more consistency in our hirings & firings, they process has to improve. There has to be more decisiveness, conviction, vision, plan, & expectations.

What happened on Thanksgiving night can't happen.

defiantdog
01-02-2020, 11:59 PM
That's because they are..... we have an AD who's been nothing but a coach prior to this position.

ShotgunDawg
01-03-2020, 12:01 AM
Does it really matter? I mean 2 years ago Cohen looked like a pro by being ahead of Mullen leaving and having Joevester in a couple day search, everyone applauded it. Now look where we are.

None of this matters. Just do what we need to do.

It does matter because.

I don't want my athletic department to be run like Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys. Emotional, buddy buddy, lack of plan, vision, & expectations.

I want a professional operation because professional operations lead to consistent results.

BeardoMSU
01-03-2020, 12:01 AM
What's funny is everything Dan just wrote was said countless times by countless posters on this board, and he's absolutely right. I'll give the admin and Cohen a slight pass if they correct course accordingly, but this was bush league as hell, and everyone will see it.....John better hope his next hire turns out to be a HR.

mstatefan91
01-03-2020, 12:02 AM
one of the weird times where i agree with him despite my dislike of him.

Commercecomet24
01-03-2020, 12:09 AM
Yes it was huge cluster after joe lucked into winning the Egg. If the plans that had been made were followed through with after the egg we would already be rid of joe and have a new coach

bobtail bob
01-03-2020, 12:10 AM
They made a mistake after the EB. The important thing now is they realized it and are correcting it, At least I hope that is what they are doing

mstatefan91
01-03-2020, 12:12 AM
They made a mistake after the EB. The important thing now is they realized it and are correcting it, At least I hope that is what they are doing

True. But 247 reporting it adds more fuel to the fire than the national guys. They have sources too and those are harder to explain away for the administration. I think his turkey is cooked.

Percho
01-03-2020, 12:13 AM
amateurish

They will have to carry me out in a pine box.

I will not be the coach at Alabama.

Kick rocks and pound sand!

hp22
01-03-2020, 12:19 AM
Wolken is absolutely negating the off field impact. We had multiple suspensions for the bowl game. Had a fight. And any time along the last two years where we had a chance to grab momentum, we take at least two steps back.

It's actually pretty stupid of Wolken to not realize a coach that kept his job because of an Egg Bowl win was on shaky ground to begin with. To get the news you're getting year 3 around Thanksgiving and follow it up with the month of December this program just had.....

Well and Louisville scored 31 unanswered points too.

WSOPdawg
01-03-2020, 12:24 AM
Wolken needs to realize that while he may think JoMo is not being treated fairly or with respect, he also needs to realize that JoMo disrespected the entire Bulldog family when he told us to "kick rocks and pound sand" because this was "his school, his team!"

That's a crock of BullShit because his Yankee Ass hasn't grown up knowing the heartaches and struggles we've witnessed with our Dogs over the years. He disrespected and ultimately lost the fanbase with those comments. So now, his Yankee Ass is getting dragged out of Starkville... Good f'ckn riddance, you d!ckhead!!!

mstatefan91
01-03-2020, 12:26 AM
Wolken needs to realize that while he may think JoMo is not being treated fairly or with respect, he also needs to realize that JoMo disrespected the entire Bulldog family when he told us to "kick rocks and pound sand" because this was "his school, his team!"

That's a crock of BullShit because his Yankee Ass hasn't grown up knowing the heartaches and struggles we've witnessed with our Dogs over the years. He disrespected and ultimately lost the fanbase with those comments. So now, his Yankee Ass is getting dragged out of Starkville... Good f'ckn riddance, you d!ckhead!!!

Don't think that's what Wolken was saying. He was saying that a player fake peeing on a field and subsequent missed XP shouldn't have been the decision point. The decision should have been made and followed through with..

I'm gonna throw up defending this guy..

Maverick
01-03-2020, 12:33 AM
You need to cut Cohen some slack, every other hire has been quiet and nobody knows what happened behind closed doors or what was leaked too early. You were just giddy as hell to hear the leak early then pissed cause you have no patience.

WinningIsRelentless
01-03-2020, 12:37 AM
Wolken to go kick rocks and pound sand. See my post in the a National Media thread. JoMo had multiple chances and screwed then all up starting first by screwing over Aeries Williams last year to blowing the bowl game. He thought being a likable guy would be enough in the SEC and he was wrong. Don?t make our University a circus show and win the games you are suppose to and you can be our asshole for 10 years.

Todd4State
01-03-2020, 12:46 AM
It makes Steve look bad because he insisted the rumors weren't true after the Egg Bowl and now you have a national media member reporting otherwise.

mstatefan91
01-03-2020, 12:49 AM
It makes Steve look bad because he insisted the rumors weren't true after the Egg Bowl and now you have a national media member reporting otherwise.

Steve has made up for it in my mind. He knew the importance of the EB in the admin's/money's eyes whether justified or not.. He has been very candid (FOR HIM) since the bowl game.

War Machine Dawg
01-03-2020, 02:37 AM
Our administration is amateurish

FIFY

We need a new AD as much, if not more, than we need a new football coach. Not a single major hire under The Spineless Bastard has been what anyone would call professional. From the Meathead Disaster, to shooting his mouth off during the next baseball HC search and making the Lemonis hire feel like a letdown at the time, to an inability to evaluate a coach's job unemotionally, to failing to keep the Virginia Slims to hold up their end of the buyout deal after we beat Northern Miss, to the current shit show, Cohen has proven he's incompetent for a job at this level. He's a fantastic baseball GM, but a shitty AD. LT 2.0, right down to the same Virginia Slims putting him into the job and keeping him there.

Todd4State
01-03-2020, 03:58 AM
My thing is I'm not 100% sure that he was kept solely because of the Egg Bowl. If that was the case we would have immediately extended him instead of telling him that the Music City Bowl was a business trip. We have him an opportunity to show us that he could turn it around and he epically failed. I think a lot of people just assumed we were going to lose the Egg Bowl and didn't realize that Ole Miss was slightly more trashy than we were this year. Too many people bought into Ole Miss scoring in garbage time while at the same time putting ourselves down for scoring in garbage time.

I'll be honest- had Joe put together a decent showing and a win in the Music City Bowl like Dan did in 2013 and 2016 I would be a lot more open to keeping Joe with staff changes especially after the recruiting class he put together. Joe did quite the opposite and embarrassed MSU in the process. Of course his team discipline was my biggest reason for doubting him and here we are. That appears to be what ultimately did him in when you analyze the root of our problems.

Todd4State
01-03-2020, 04:00 AM
Steve has made up for it in my mind. He knew the importance of the EB in the admin's/money's eyes whether justified or not.. He has been very candid (FOR HIM) since the bowl game.

Because if his marching orders. It is what it is and it's a business. We need people like that FWIW.

Dawg2003
01-03-2020, 06:16 AM
It looks bad now, but you just have to weather the storm for a few days. The news moves fast. It will be onto something else soon enough.

Cowbell
01-03-2020, 06:19 AM
Gun, this is simply not true in terms of how joe was treated. He should have been out of here midway through this season and I feel like Cohen gave him ample opportunity to justify his means. More than fair. He's the guy that couldn't get it turned around, not JC. Not to mention the buyout agreement and then acting like he had won the NC at the pressor. JC made mistakes here but being unfair to Joe is definitely not it. And any coach with COMMON SENSE knows this train should be leaving town after the collective football season we have had.

BhamDawg205
01-03-2020, 06:19 AM
It looks bad now, but you just have to weather the storm for a few days. The news moves fast. It will be onto something else soon enough.

Good thing Jerry Jones loves the spotlight. Cowboys will dominate the national news.

DownwardDawg
01-03-2020, 09:34 AM
I laughed when I read all of that crap. Wolken has no idea what has been said, what is being said, or any former, current, or future plans from our AD. He is going off of rumors.

Jack Lambert
01-03-2020, 09:44 AM
It does matter because.

I don't want my athletic department to be run like Jerry Jones runs the Cowboys. Emotional, buddy buddy, lack of plan, vision, & expectations.

I want a professional operation because professional operations lead to consistent results.

Jones paid 140 million for the cowboys. It is now worth 5.5 billion. Yeah he's a dumb ass.

sonof34
01-03-2020, 09:48 AM
At this point who gives a shit...the masses wanted Joe gone and now he is now y?all are complaining about they way it went down...Jesus you people are never satisfied

ILOATHEBears
01-03-2020, 09:49 AM
FIFY

We need a new AD as much, if not more, than we need a new football coach. Not a single major hire under The Spineless Bastard has been what anyone would call professional. From the Meathead Disaster, to shooting his mouth off during the next baseball HC search and making the Lemonis hire feel like a letdown at the time, to an inability to evaluate a coach's job unemotionally, to failing to keep the Virginia Slims to hold up their end of the buyout deal after we beat Northern Miss, to the current shit show, Cohen has proven he's incompetent for a job at this level. He's a fantastic baseball GM, but a shitty AD. LT 2.0, right down to the same Virginia Slims putting him into the job and keeping him there.

First, I?m pretty positive Wolken was saying 7-8 weeks ago that it did not look like Moorhead was a good fit here but now we are making a move he comes at us from this angle for clicks and Twitter likes. Secondly, it my understanding that Cohen wanted to can JoMo after the egg bowl but Keenum pulled the reigns back on that however the scales tipped and Keenum got on board over the past 4 weeks with the fights, suspensions and flat out stubbornness on JoMos part

BhamDawg205
01-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Jones paid 140 million for the cowboys. It is now worth 5.5 billion. Yeah he's a dumb ass.

Yea he has great business sense, but his ego and emotions blinds him when it comes to on the field stuff. Best example Jimmy Johnson rightfully so got the credit for those Superbowls, Jones couldn't take it. Garrett was treated like family and a puppet, that's how he stayed on so long. It's still about Jerry, he's 77 and time is slipping away. He cut Garrett, because he knew Jason is not a Superbowl coach.

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 10:01 AM
Wolken and others nationally can go kick rocks and pound sand in my book. This was a highly unusual situation so i will give Cohen and Keenum a bit of a pass on how things have unfolded. First, you never really want to have to remove a guy as your HC after only 2 years, especially one that has not even had a losing regular season yet. In fact, its somewhat unheard of do that even though it is obvious to anyone paying attention that our program is on a downward spiral. So this was a very, very tough decision. I mean, after the Egg Bowl win, even though we still had all of the same issues we had before that game I was personally going to be at least willing to give him one final year to see if he could get our program in order both on and OFF the field (believe the administration and some prominent boosters felt the same) and turn the trajectory back upwards. Then, after the win, you immediately have the press conference where Joe shows his pompous ass and alienates himself personally from a decent portion of the fanbase. That should have never happened for a coach that was tenuous at best anyway. Then, you have the pre-bowl practice fight where 2 of our best players go brawling knocking out our starting QB for the bowl game (may have even cost us the bowl game). That kind of thing just cannot happen. Then, on top of that we lay a total egg at the MCB with numerous players suspended for portions of the game for reasons I've still never heard about. At that point I can certainly see where even what little confidence anyone had in Moorhead going forward was lost by pretty much everyone involved with the program. So, in light of that, our choices boiled down to making a somewhat unorthodox coaching change after the bowl game, or just throw away another year and deal with the financial fallout of a half empty stadium for most games come the Fall of 2020. It was a real damned if you do, damned if you don't type situation.

RougeDawg
01-03-2020, 11:46 AM
I laughed when I read all of that crap. Wolken has no idea what has been said, what is being said, or any former, current, or future plans from our AD. He is going off of rumors.

These national media types have a direct line to Cohen.