PDA

View Full Version : Prepare to be disappointed

The Hand of the King
01-02-2020, 10:41 PM
I've heard that we laid it all on the table regarding salary, assistant pay, increased football personnel and staffing... The ball is now in court in Louisiana to be slept on... Are we truly where he wants to be or will he look for a Baylor or Oklahoma type opening or wait until next cycle for a possible Texas, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina gig.

Let's hope he sleeps well and wants to go ahead and lock up that nest egg for life. That's why the hush hush because nothing has been finalized.

mstatefan91
01-02-2020, 10:41 PM
Ok Jan

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2020, 10:43 PM
I actually can believe this. It's a big decision for the coach as well.

I think he takes it though. Just too much to risk

msstatelp1
01-02-2020, 10:44 PM
I've heard that we laid it all on the table regarding salary, assistant pay, increased football personnel and staffing... The ball is now in court in Louisiana to be slept on... Are we truly where he wants to be or will he look for a Baylor or Oklahoma type opening or wait until next cycle for a possible Texas, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina gig.

Let's hope he sleeps well and wants to go ahead and lock up that nest egg for life. That's why the hush hush because nothing has been finalized.

The only way I'll be disappointed is if we announce we're keeping Moorhead. I'm good with pretty much anyone not named Moorhead (or Freeze) being our Head Coach this year.

gtowndawg
01-02-2020, 10:44 PM
FYI, Pete Thamel just tweeted we are considering firing Joe Moorhead.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1212941551959191552?s=21

mstatefan91
01-02-2020, 10:46 PM
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1212941551959191552?s=20

DownwardDawg
01-02-2020, 10:47 PM
The only way I'll be disappointed is if we announce we're keeping Moorhead. I'm good with pretty much anyone not named Moorhead (or Freeze) being our Head Coach this year.

Me too. That’s the ONLY way I’d be disappointed.

OLJWales
01-02-2020, 10:52 PM
I actually can believe this. It's a big decision for the coach as well.

I think he takes it though. Just too much to risk

You're too smart to fall for this.

DownwardDawg
01-02-2020, 10:54 PM
Ok Jan

Who is Jan?

dantheman4248
01-02-2020, 10:59 PM
Who is Jan?

Jan 2020 join date

DownwardDawg
01-02-2020, 11:03 PM
Jan 2020 join date

Oh. Lol. Gotcha.

yjnkdawg
01-02-2020, 11:05 PM
They are coming out of the woodwork. Most "new reliable" sources on ED that I have ever seen before**! :rolleyes:

CovertDawg
01-02-2020, 11:07 PM
My biggest concern is Napier not taking the job. He has Lousiana Lafayette pretty much on auto pilot for 9+ wins with the way he is recruiting. He can afford to be very selective with what job he chooses going forward. And as good as Mullen was, he only finished better than 4th in the SEC West once in 9 years. It is still perceived as an almost impossible job by outsiders but at least now a very lucrative one. I thought he would be the obvious choice for South Carolina next year considering his deep roots in that state. (Played at Furman... and coached at SC State and Clemson)

Todd4State
01-02-2020, 11:10 PM
I'm not concerned. If Napier doesn't take it we go to Hud.

CovertDawg
01-02-2020, 11:15 PM
I'm not concerned. If Napier doesn't take it we go to Hud.

I would hope we would interview 20 people before we got to Hud.

Randolph Dupree
01-02-2020, 11:20 PM
Look, Ive been a fan of hiring Napier since the TN game but if we are being honest there are questions there. He's had some short term success but doesn't have a long track record. I'm still buying the Napier stock though. It would be a HUGE gamble to turn down an SEC West school that will pay him over $3M/year and could pay in the $6M plus range over time. If he passes that up, he's taking a huge risk. Think about it. A rogue assistant gets caught doing something wrong in the off season, or a coupe of injuries at key spots early in the year...if his stock tanks for any reason between now and next year he will not have offers like this.

defiantdog
01-02-2020, 11:21 PM

Not exactly how negotiations work..... would be a pipe dream if this was the case though.

CovertDawg
01-02-2020, 11:31 PM
If Joe is gone, Napier is the only name I have heard that is worth hiring quickly. Should be at least a two week process before settling on a safety net like Hud.

Also, Shoop went out of his way to compliment Napier in the presser last year if you start listening at 1:35 in the video. It was more than the usual coach speak and he watched all his tape going back to Arizona State.

https://youtu.be/9_-2PhD2Oh4?t=92

gtowndawg
01-02-2020, 11:37 PM
Mullen went from coaching State, to coaching Florida to national media saying he could be the Dallas freaking Cowboys coach in a span of 3 years. All while making 6 million dollars. I think a good coach can visualize things might just turn out pretty good if you coach at Miss. State.

HaggardDawg
01-03-2020, 12:21 AM
Call me crazy but if Napier says no, I think Chizik would be my next choice. Talking to my Auburn people, they miss him and said he'd be a home run for us. He could be the cultural leader and hire a bang up DC and OC (HUD?). I know we're all still bitter over the Cam Newton stuff, but forget that, I think he'd be a great hire.

bigplayslay
01-03-2020, 12:24 AM
Call me crazy but if Napier says no, I think Chizik would be my next choice. Talking to my Auburn people, they miss him and said he'd be a home run for us. He could be the cultural leader and hire a bang up DC and OC (HUD?). I know we're all still bitter over the Cam Newton stuff, but forget that, I think he'd be a great hire.

I’m sure the auburn people would want us to hire him.

Coursesuper
01-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Ok um, bullshit, we are not in a position to be hard nosed in these negotiations they kind of have us by the short hairs now and he and his agent know this. We were obviously way deep in negotiations before the egg only to leave them hanging and we just fired a coach after 24 games. I'd ask for the a perfect world, iron clad you're 17ed if you fire me contract for sure.

The Hand of the King
01-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Things are.... fluid.

deadheaddawg
01-03-2020, 07:14 PM
We were obviously way deep in negotiations before the egg only to leave them hanging and we just fired a coach after 24 games. I'd ask for the a perfect world, iron clad you're 17ed if you fire me contract for sure.

This is why all these rumors and sources should be mocked and ridiculed.

People read unfounded rumors on here and believe them to be completely true. Then they start spreading and a false narrative is built (and believed to be true) about our program.

You don't know if we were in deep negotiations with him before the egg bowl. Nobody here actually knows

The Hand of the King
01-03-2020, 10:34 PM
As of end of day Friday, nothing has been finalized. We certainly created one hell of a package for assistants, staff/personnel, and salary. The big concern is Baylor. We are done negotiating; the ball is in their court take it or leave it. Both sides have met where the leverage is. We agree to the program demands and on the other side we are aware that there are other fish in the sea and if he wants to waffle he can risk not catching a solid hook.

Based on the terms I think it will now happen, though I pray the Panthers and Giants take their sweet time on a hire...

maroonmania
01-03-2020, 11:05 PM
Look, Ive been a fan of hiring Napier since the TN game but if we are being honest there are questions there. He's had some short term success but doesn't have a long track record. I'm still buying the Napier stock though. It would be a HUGE gamble to turn down an SEC West school that will pay him over $3M/year and could pay in the $6M plus range over time. If he passes that up, he's taking a huge risk. Think about it. A rogue assistant gets caught doing something wrong in the off season, or a coupe of injuries at key spots early in the year...if his stock tanks for any reason between now and next year he will not have offers like this.

To be honest, if he had had say like 3 straight 9+ win seasons at ULL I'm not sure we would be the ones that could hire him. He would be too hot of a commodity.

RougeDawg
01-03-2020, 11:23 PM
As of end of day Friday, nothing has been finalized. We certainly created one hell of a package for assistants, staff/personnel, and salary. The big concern is Baylor. We are done negotiating; the ball is in their court take it or leave it. Both sides have met where the leverage is. We agree to the program demands and on the other side we are aware that there are other fish in the sea and if he wants to waffle he can risk not catching a solid hook.

Based on the terms I think it will now happen, though I pray the Panthers and Giants take their sweet time on a hire...

Seems like Rosie is confirming your post.

Randolph Dupree
01-03-2020, 11:26 PM
To be honest, if he had had say like 3 straight 9+ win seasons at ULL I'm not sure we would be the ones that could hire him. He would be too hot of a commodity.

This is true. But my point is, it would be a huge gamble to stall given the money on the table. Things outside of his control could tank his stock.

Bottom line is, I still think he signs and when/if he does, I think we hit a home run.

hacker
01-03-2020, 11:28 PM
Why is it thought he'd rather be at Baylor? Any reason other than "their schedule is easier"?

Coursesuper
01-04-2020, 09:02 AM
This is why all these rumors and sources should be mocked and ridiculed.

People read unfounded rumors on here and believe them to be completely true. Then they start spreading and a false narrative is built (and believed to be true) about our program.

You don't know if we were in deep negotiations with him before the egg bowl. Nobody here actually knows

I trusted my guy then and I still do. He's well placed and hasn't been wrong yet.

Bothrops
01-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Why is it thought he'd rather be at Baylor? Any reason other than "their schedule is easier"?

Probably a media lie.

The Hand of the King
01-04-2020, 02:55 PM
The final offer last night has apparently been agreed to in principle. Great job by the agent in knowing the client's value, needs, and financial capabilities of the organization.

The Hand of the King
01-05-2020, 02:45 PM
As it stands, the Baylor position is still the ghost that's haunting us. We know it's obviously not open yet but agents/schools are always working behind the scenes. All things being equal, it is my understanding that Baylor would be the choice. However things aren't equal and as they say a bird in the hand is better than one in the bush. The terms and negotiations are no longer in the back and forth stage as noted, and we've always been under the agreement that nothing official will happen until the season ends.

There has been no timeline ultimatum, but that could change at the end of day Monday.