PDA

View Full Version : How often does a coach who's lost the fanbase THIS badly get it back?

Quaoarsking
01-02-2020, 07:35 PM
Answer: Never.

There are no examples of a coach totally losing the fanbase like this and then winning it back. Every time a school is this close to firing a coach and decides to keep him, they fire him the next year. I did some research to make sure before making this declaration. If you find one, it's either from decades ago when the whole world was different, or some obscure lower division school that barely has fans anyway, or just a coach who had lost some of the fans, but nothing like what Joe has.

Now, some people might point to Dabo, and he was on the hotseat a bit in his early years at Clemson, but he never lost the fanbase anywhere close to what Joe has. Similarly Matt Rhule had a really rough start at Baylor, but the fans never lost faith in him anywhere near the level ours has with Joe.

So that means if we keep Joe for another year, Keenum (the buck stops with him) either:

Has completely and totally misread the fanbase to a shocking and unbelievable degree
Deluded himself into thinking that Joe can win back the fanbase despite historical examples unanimously saying otherwise
Just doesn't care.

Can't believe that any of the above would be true, but if we keep Joe, one of them is. Hopefully it's none and we have a new coach by this time next week.

MetEdDawg
01-02-2020, 07:41 PM
This to me is the big picture question.

If you're our athletic department and know our fans are upset, what expectations could Joe meet to get everyone back on board? He would have to go at least 8-4 to get folks back on board.

Does anyone have any confidence that happens? I don't. So you dig the hole deeper because that's an additional year of most likely poor play, 6 or so losses, and no progress. So you lose even more of the fan base.

DeputyDawg94
01-02-2020, 07:42 PM
He’ll never win me back. The EB presser sent me completely over the edge with him. Even IF he makes major changes and wins more I’m out. It’s OUR team and OUR program, he just happens to be the person in charge of it.
Piss on JoMo!!

Rex54
01-02-2020, 07:46 PM
It's somehow incredibly COMPOUNDED on the fact that he told the fans to literally kick rocks.

This is an unchartered waters scenario playing out.

A. Underachieve on the field
B. Arrogantly tell the fans to kick rocks as if you've accomplished anything to have the standing to do that. Barely beat a shit 4-8 team at home?!
C. Tutorgate and your starting QB lost for the bowl because the MLB broke his face
D. Embarrassingly lose the bowl after the aforementioned chutzpa of the kick rocks presser.

That's why I posted ITS HAPPENING a few days ago because there is no universe where he can return. The stadium would be empty next year and well beyond because you just won't get folks motivated to leave the couch and HD tv

weblow
01-02-2020, 07:49 PM
Egg Bowl presser guaranteed that he never had my support again.
The guy is in way over his head and to damn blind to see it. He thinks he can do it without fan support.........would love to discuss this with him about 5-7 days from now and see how that worked out for him.

yjnkdawg
01-02-2020, 07:50 PM
If a coach didn't disconnect himself from the fan base, then it may be possible. His presser after the OM game was a slap in the face to MSU supporters and fans, and then he comes out in the bowl game, unprepared , we don't have our best QB available, and he gets out coached, when he said it was a business trip. Then his presser after the bowl game is basically wash rinse and repeat (maybe add a few more washes and rinses). I just don't see it happening.

Churchill
01-02-2020, 07:54 PM
Answer: Never.

There are no examples of a coach totally losing the fanbase like this and then winning it back. Every time a school is this close to firing a coach and decides to keep him, they fire him the next year. I did some research to make sure before making this declaration. If you find one, it's either from decades ago when the whole world was different, or some obscure lower division school that barely has fans anyway, or just a coach who had lost some of the fans, but nothing like what Joe has.

Now, some people might point to Dabo, and he was on the hotseat a bit in his early years at Clemson, but he never lost the fanbase anywhere close to what Joe has. Similarly Matt Rhule had a really rough start at Baylor, but the fans never lost faith in him anywhere near the level ours has with Joe.

So that means if we keep Joe for another year, Keenum (the buck stops with him) either:

Has completely and totally misread the fanbase to a shocking and unbelievable degree
Deluded himself into thinking that Joe can win back the fanbase despite historical examples unanimously saying otherwise
Just doesn't care.

Can't believe that any of the above would be true, but if we keep Joe, one of them is. Hopefully it's none and we have a new coach by this time next week.

Better question. Has a coach in Croomhead's position ever been retained ?

Rex54
01-02-2020, 07:59 PM
If a coach didn't disconnect himself from the fan base, then it may be possible. His presser after the OM game was a slap in the face to a lot of MSU supporters and fans, and then he comes out in the bowl game, unprepared , and gets out coached, when he said it was a business trip. Then his presser after the bowl game is basically wash rinse and repeat (maybe add a few more washes and rinses). I just don't see it happening.

The guy is a total fraud. A complete con artist.

You can tell by the fake rah-rah mid season, the Oklahoma drill. In his media appearances is just platitudes, nothing of substance because there is no substance. He played to Cohen's ego of wanting to be the smartest wittiest guy and got hired as a coach based on brains. His absent personality, living only in his theories and chalkboard, allowed the players to run all over him and do whatever the hell they wanted, dress however they wanted, and obviously eat whatever they wanted. He thought they could just roll out and magically due to his wizard offense make the right "reads" and be open all day long.

DogsofAnarchy
01-02-2020, 09:08 PM
There is NO way our administration can spin keeping him as a positive. All keeping him does is prove that our administration is incompetent and not serious about the money sport at MSU.

maroonmania
01-02-2020, 09:18 PM
He?ll never win me back. The EB presser sent me completely over the edge with him. Even IF he makes major changes and wins more I?m out. It?s OUR team and OUR program, he just happens to be the person in charge of it.
Piss on JoMo!!

Yep, he still had a lot of personal support within the MSU fanbase even with his coaching issues until the EB post-game press conference. I was begrudgingly willing to give him a 3rd year until I watched the EB post-game. After that I wanted him 100% gone regardless of the crapshow we just had at the MCB. Any coach that has a CLUE about what he is doing running a big time football program knows you don't intentionally pick a fight with your fanbase. You HAVE to be better than that as the guy trying to reconcile things..

deadheaddawg
01-02-2020, 09:22 PM
I was going to say pruitt might end up doing it at UT. His seat was damn hot before he beat us.

But they are losing tonight so I am not sure if he has, or can, win the fanbase back. LoL

lastmajordog
01-02-2020, 10:32 PM
I think the first half of the 2013 Arky game had many (me included) wanting DM run out of town........