PDA

View Full Version : So here is where we are....

Coach34
01-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Here is what we know:

1. Keenum and Cohen were looking to give Joe another year to fix things. Then the fight happens with the QB being hurt and another abysmal performance in the bowl game- with more suspensions yet Willie Gay played all 4 Q's. The Egg Bowl shine is now gone- especially after saying the bowl game was a "business trip"

2. Steve and Matt have been ultra critical of Moorhead since the bowl game

3. College coach out of Louisiana contacts someone saying were appear to be firing Moorhead and talks are happening with his HC. (Napier)

4. ULL pushes out agreement on contract extension early this morning.

5. ULL plays Monday- going for a record 11th win

6. You dont fire Moorhead without having someone locked up. Buyouts went down on the 1st

7. Random poster from Louisiana with claims to agents say deal is done and they want to get thru the bowl game.

8. Some people are pushing the narrative from right after the Egg that Cohen made demands of Moorhead and he has to hire lots of new staff- aka "The Lame Duck" method of kicking the can down the road

9. People are very tight-lipped right now after last month's fiasco

So:

A) We are going with the Lame Duck Method and will absolutely deflate the fanbase plus cost the school and StarkVegas millions. We will soon have Gene, Steve, and Paul push what a great thing this is and start mentioning asst names.

B) We talked to Napier and couldnt convince him to take it- so we are moving on to other targets. Which explains all the tight-lipped people right now

C) Napier has accepted or we are haggling final numbers and wants to keep everything quiet until after the bowl game out of respect to his current school and team. Which explains all the tight-lipped people right now

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2020, 04:39 PM
What do you believe?

Secondly, do you believe Napier is the RIGHT guy?

Political Hack
01-02-2020, 04:43 PM
If the contract gets signed before his bowl game, we should fire Friday and hire Tuesday.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2020, 04:50 PM
Here is another thing:

There really isn't a big rush. Recruiting doesn't start back for at least another week & a half & we already have 22 signees.

The rush isn't there right now like if we would've fired Joe after the Egg Bowl.

The only rush is that some assistants the new coach may want could get hired by other programs in the meantime.

That being said, it's odd that more programs don't wait till this time of year to fire people.

Behrdawg
01-02-2020, 05:00 PM
Players report back on Sunday. I would think they would want the ball moving by that time.

JoseBrown
01-02-2020, 05:04 PM
10. Shoop is gone to Nashville- per PJ

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2020, 05:08 PM

Best of luck to him if true. I don't think we'll have much of an issue finding a DC

Shoop did a nice job, but after the seeing the Louisville WR wide open with no maroon jerseys in the screen, I had concerns anyway.

MetEdDawg
01-02-2020, 05:16 PM
If Shoop is leaving it's hard to read whether that's part of whole staff changes or an HC change and he was told he could look.

I would lean towards HC change because Shoop would be the ultimate one to be given a pass this year given the amount of turmoil with our defensive player availability.

This didn't happen today either. Stuff like that takes time. So something has been discussed prior to today for this decision to be made.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 05:17 PM
I think Napier is solid. He's a good fit here and its obvious he can coach. There really isnt anymore you could want on a resume other than be a sitting P5 HC with legit success. And those arent leaving their gigs.

There are a few I wouldve taken before him but its not a big drop. It is a marked improvement over what we have. I was impressed with them when we played them.

Add in a legit DC (Whispers are out there) and we are set. And we did it all without having to hire Durkin

Cooterpoot
01-02-2020, 05:20 PM
Anybody hoping for Moorhead, better get their arm loose and the KY warmed up.

Coursesuper
01-02-2020, 05:22 PM
I just hope if this is is legit that he brings Chris Sale with him.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 05:31 PM
If Shoop is leaving it's hard to read whether that's part of whole staff changes or an HC change and he was told he could look.

I would lean towards HC change because Shoop would be the ultimate one to be given a pass this year given the amount of turmoil with our defensive player availability.

This didn't happen today either. Stuff like that takes time. So something has been discussed prior to today for this decision to be made.

If Shoop is gone then Moorhead has to be gone. You aren't going to make huge staff changes and get a good DC to come into a program with a lame duck coach. Might as well hire Ron Cooper if that is the case. I think this is a huge red flag that Moorhead is done.

BeardoMSU
01-02-2020, 05:35 PM
Making staff changes, but on the defensive side of the ball instead of the O, is the most Joe Moorhead thing ever. Gotta give it to him...he wasn't bluffing about the "you'll have to drag my ass outta here"...

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 05:35 PM
I know for a 100 percent fact that the law was laid down and Moorhead had to meet Cohens demands or he was out. I guess in the end Moorhead was just too smart for his own good.

It is also a fact that Moorhead's family is ready to catch the first bus back to Pennsylvania. May have had something to do with this

confucius say
01-02-2020, 05:39 PM
I know for a 100 percent fact that the law was laid down and Moorhead had to meet Cohens demands or he was out. I guess in the end Moorhead was just too smart for his own good.

It is also a fact that Moorhead's family is ready to catch the first bus back to Pennsylvania. May have had something to do with this

You think he is gone?

starkvegasdawg
01-02-2020, 05:40 PM
Best of luck to him if true. I don't think we'll have much of an issue finding a DC

Shoop did a nice job, but after the seeing the Louisville WR wide open with no maroon jerseys in the screen, I had concerns anyway.

Everybody had receivers open this season. If Stephen F Austin had an accurate QB they may have beaten us because they had receivers in their own zip code all game long.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 05:43 PM
You think he is gone?

For the record I said I think we end up with him here next year but with his staff turned over and him with a lot less control. I am hoping to God that doesnt happen but just my gut feeling after being what I was told. I am no big money cigar boy but I do know a few people. Just putting that on here

RocketDawg
01-02-2020, 05:43 PM
I just watched part of a press conference by Napier, after the Georgia State game and just before the App State game. He comes across really well, seems to know what he's talking about, and perhaps as much as anything else, doesn't have any of the arrogance that we've sorta gotten used to. If we get him, it should be a good hire.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 05:44 PM
Making staff changes, but on the defensive side of the ball instead of the O, is the most Joe Moorhead thing ever. Gotta give it to him...he wasn't bluffing about the "you'll have to drag my ass outta here"...

There was a D coach on staff that I heard from his own mouth say after 2018 that Moorhead was done. I dont think Shoop is hitching his wagon to Moorhead. It wouldnt surprise me if Shoop did this on his own

MetEdDawg
01-02-2020, 05:46 PM
There was a D coach on staff that I heard from his own mouth say after 2018 that Moorhead was done. I dont think Shoop is hitching his wagon to Moorhead. It wouldnt surprise me if Shoop did this on his own

That's why I'm not convinced this is a guarantee that Moorhead is gone. Shoop has to look out for himself and if Moorhead is in fact staying and Shoop doesn't like the direction of the program, get the hell out now and save yourself.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
01-02-2020, 05:48 PM
Here is another thing:

There really isn't a big rush. Recruiting doesn't start back for at least another week & a half & we already have 22 signees.

You don't think we'll have some ask out of LOI?

maroonmania
01-02-2020, 05:50 PM
For the record I said I think we end up with him here next year but with his staff turned over and him with a lot less control. I am hoping to God that doesnt happen but just my gut feeling after being what I was told. I am no big money cigar boy but I do know a few people. Just putting that on here

Still say the forcing assistant coaching changes is the worst option. When you hire a HC you really need to either let him run his program or dump him and get someone else. Cohen telling him he has to do this or that is never going to work out well. I sincerely hope we get either Napier or Hud and start over given where we are now.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Still say this is the worst option. When you hire a HC you really need to either let him run his program and dump him and get someone else. Cohen telling him he has to do this or that is never going to work out well. I sincerely hope we get either Napier or Hud and start over given where we are now.

It is a very MSU thing for us to do. Would be just delaying the inevitable

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2020, 05:52 PM
You don't think we'll have some ask out of LOI?

We may, but I would make sure those that ask don't get released until the new head coach has a chance to talk with them & probably do an in-home visit.

Of course you release them at some point, but I'd try to give the new coach at least a week or two to hold on to them.

I don't believe other coaching staffs can speak with them after they sign

Cowbell
01-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Since we are being so optimistic, maybe Dan takes the cowboys job and Grantham comes back to be DC. That's right loafers - we get the last laugh!

maroonmania
01-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Its going to be beyond ridiculous if we end up losing Shoop but keep Moorhead. Geez, what a cluster.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 06:41 PM

Shoop is the only coach on that staff i have any confidence in.

If Moorhead stays, he won't get a better one to come for a lame duck position for sure

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 06:50 PM
Its going to be beyond ridiculous if we end up losing Shoop but keep Moorhead. Geez, what a cluster.

yep

Lord McBuckethead
01-02-2020, 07:30 PM
Players report back on Sunday. I would think they would want the ball moving by that time.

Why would that matter. Take a month if we have to.