PDA

View Full Version : If we make the move....

Coach34
01-02-2020, 10:36 AM
it means we have our guy locked down. If no move is made- then we didnt come to terms with who we wanted. You dont fire someone then start looking at this point. If nothing happens by Sunday- then my guess is we will soldier on another year. So the next 3 days should see some wheelin and dealin

MetEdDawg
01-02-2020, 10:39 AM
it means we have our guy locked down. If no move is made- then we didnt come to terms with who we wanted. You dont fire someone then start looking at this point. If nothing happens by Sunday- then my guess is we will soldier on another year. So the next 3 days should see some wheelin and dealin

Yeah I would be shocked if we had fired Moorhead and didn't have the next guy lined up.

I think the Napier extension timing is very interesting. I would be stunned if we didn't reach out very seriously to him to gauge his interest. My thoughts are we aren't going to make a move and that we told him that and he went ahead and signed an extension.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Correct. No way you fire without the new guy ready to sign. That's why the Napier extension seems to cross him off the list if State is trying to wheel and deal currently

Coursesuper
01-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Yes, this is the only way to deal with the situation in front of them at this point. Cannot go in blind looking after the fact.

Coursesuper
01-02-2020, 10:44 AM
Correct. No way you fire without the new guy ready to sign. That's why the Napier extension seems to cross him off the list if State is trying to wheel and deal currently

He's either off the list or playing for more $$ and things he wants from our side in the negotiations. I tend to believe that we've moved on.

Jack Lambert
01-02-2020, 10:46 AM

Just out of curiosity if they really wanted him gone would it matter? Couldn't they fire him and put interim on the DC through next year? I am just saying if things are really bad, I would think that they need to get him out of there. Just asking.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Just out of curiosity if they really wanted him gone would it matter? Couldn't they fire him and put interim on the DC through next year? I am just saying if things are really bad, I would think that they need to get him out of there. Just asking.

You kill recruiting doing that. The whole staff would be disengaged knowing they were gone in a year.

Only time you interim is during or right before a season

WinningIsRelentless
01-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Keep a very close eye on Todd Grantham.

bobcat91
01-02-2020, 10:58 AM
If Napier was contacted before the Egg Bowl, plans were in place and then we got cold feet, I believe you could see some apprehension on his side. Frankly this is a lousy time to go after a coach

Rex54
01-02-2020, 11:01 AM
If Napier was contacted before the Egg Bowl, plans were in place and then we got cold feet, I believe you could see some apprehension on his side. Frankly this is a lousy time to go after a coach

The local wet-blanket has spoken.

DownwardDawg
01-02-2020, 11:02 AM
Keep a very close eye on Todd Grantham.

I was talking about him earlier today.

bobcat91
01-02-2020, 11:11 AM

Just realistic. Timing is terrible.

gtowndawg
01-02-2020, 11:31 AM
I mean for heaven's sake just fire the man, bring in Hud and up our assistant coach budget for a great staff around him. He will be light year's better than Joe and with a good staff and appropriate recruiting budget he can match Mullen's accomplishments over a similar time period. It's not that hard, let's go.

StateDawg44
01-02-2020, 11:34 AM

What isn't true about his statement? It is a lousy time to do it but here we are. I'd happily take a new coach this second though.

It won't be happening though. So no need to worry about the timing.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 11:36 AM
So are we at the point that we keep Moorhead unless we can get "insert coach's name". Is there a list of guys and if we are told no then we keep Moorhead?

Like another thread asked, how many guys do you get told no from to force you to keep Moorhead? There is zero chance you get told no from Hudspeth or Rich Rod so they are either not on the list (which would be a mistake) or you get someone higher on the list to say yes. If we really are ready to move on from Moorhead then there is no reason to not get a new coach.

DogsofAnarchy
01-02-2020, 11:36 AM
At this point, if John Cohen elects to keep Joe Moorhead then he will have to step down 11 months from now himself. If you strap your wagon to a runaway horse then the wagon goes off the cliff also. John better be very careful here. Public sentiment is DEFINITELY against keeping Joe Moorhead.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 11:37 AM
What isn't true about his statement? It is a lousy time to do it but here we are. I'd happily take a new coach this second though.

It won't be happening though. So no need to worry about the timing.

I honestly think this is better timing than before. Ark and UM had their recruiting classes fall apart. We at least keep our class together and then get a new coach. The only way it is bad timing is if we preferred one of the guys hired over who we would get.

DogsofAnarchy
01-02-2020, 11:38 AM
Mark Hudspeth has won everywhere he has been and at every level he has coached. He is head and shoulders above Joe Moorhead. No reason not to go hire him.

WinningIsRelentless
At this point, if John Cohen elects to keep Joe Moorhead then he will have to step down 11 months from now himself. If you strap your wagon to a runaway horse then the wagon goes off the cliff also. John better be very careful here. Public sentiment is DEFINITELY against keeping Joe Moorhead.

You do realize that Cohen answers to Mark K? Cohen could tell Mark we need to make a move and Mark overrides him. A la Egg Bowl.

Dawgfan77
The Napier contract extension could be a smoke screen.

RiverCityDawg
01-02-2020, 11:40 AM
I honestly think this is better timing than before. Ark and UM had their recruiting classes fall apart. We at least keep our class together and then get a new coach. The only way it is bad timing is if we preferred one of the guys hired over who we would get.

Agree 100%

Coach34
Cohen will be our AD as long as the money guys want him to be. His job is not and wont ever be tied to Moorhead

Coursesuper
You do realize that Cohen answers to Mark K? Cohen could tell Mark we need to make a move and Mark overrides him. A la Egg Bowl.

I can tell you at this point that isn't going to happen, Mark is not happy.

lefty96

Who exactly at this juncture are we trying to out flank? I've never understood this in the middle of the annual carousel much less now.

DownwardDawg
01-02-2020, 11:41 AM

I think so, but C34’s comment about “bringing him home” makes me think it’s Hud.

StateDawg44
01-02-2020, 11:42 AM

This is certainly no guarantee but I certainly don't think this recruiting class is worth keeping him over.

Roll the dice and see what happens. A new coach would have time to get into some houses and play damage control and if they are good sway some decisions hopefully. It would definitely shake things up and I'm sure we would lose Marks. So be it though.

mstatefan91
I can tell you at this point that isn't going to happen, Mark is not happy.

It's Cohen's decision.

KOdawg1
Cohen will be our AD as long as the money guys want him to be. His job is not and wont ever be tied to Moorhead

What's your gut feeling C34?

vv83
01-02-2020, 11:43 AM
This is certainly no guarantee but I certainly don't think this recruiting class is worth keeping him over.

Roll the dice and see what happens. A new coach would have time to get into some houses and play damage control and if they are good sway some decisions hopefully. It would definitely shake things up and I'm sure we would lose Marks. So be it though.

I guess Marks wasn’t an early enrollee? But yeah agree with you, no recruit is worth keeping this coach for

ATTILLA THE DOG
01-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Mark Hudspeth has won everywhere he has been and at every level he has coached. He is head and shoulders above Joe Moorhead. No reason not to go hire him.

I agree 100%,go get HUD and hire him a great staff,damn his skeletons people keep bringing up.

StateDawg44
01-02-2020, 11:47 AM
I guess Marks wasn’t an early enrollee? But yeah agree with you, no recruit is worth keeping this coach for

Not sure if we had any early enrollee's. I'm not the one to ask on that though.

I don't know enough about how firing a coach between signing days and what liberties that gives to signed players if said coach is fired. Whether they are early enrollee or just signed for now.

vv83
01-02-2020, 11:48 AM

I don't know enough about how firing a coach between signing days and what liberties that gives to signed players if said coach is fired. Whether they are early enrollee or just signed for now.

Will Rodgers was. Which ironically if we went and got a Napier type I’d be fine releasing from his letter

mstatefan91
01-02-2020, 11:49 AM

Enrolled would have to request a transfer.

Signees would have to request a release. Then the ball is in State's court on whether or not to grant the release.

CovertDawg
01-02-2020, 11:49 AM
If Ruhle leaves Baylor, do they have an in house coordinator ready to take over the head job? So many dominoes still to fall everywhere. I saw where the Bears let Mark Helfrich go as offensive coordinator yesterday even though he was not their play caller. Todd Monken is probably on his way out of Cleveland and like Helfrich was an offensive coordinator that did not call plays this season.

HailStateSZN19
01-02-2020, 11:50 AM

I might be wrong but believe all JUCO guys except Ducking are EE's along with Will Rogers, Marks, and maybe Groce. I think that's right but I could be off on that.

StateDawg44
01-02-2020, 11:51 AM
Enrolled would have to request a transfer.

Signees would have to request a release. Then the ball is in State's court on whether or not to grant the release.

Makes sense. But could create a huge sh*t storm also. At least the sh*t would be flying instead of burying us.

OLJWales
01-02-2020, 11:51 AM
My uninformed guess is Monday to get at the top of the news cycle so they can discuss some during the natty game

HailStateSZN19
01-02-2020, 11:53 AM
My uninformed guess is Monday to get at the top of the news cycle so they can discuss some during the natty game

The Natty game is a week from next Monday. It's on the 13th.

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 11:55 AM

The title game is the following week.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 11:55 AM

He has a shot at being a starting RB in the SEC day 1 so not sure if he would be 100% gone. I think whoever we hired would at least have a shot at keeping him.

gtowndawg
01-02-2020, 11:56 AM

That's what I'm saying. If it's not working out with other targets than let's get Hud, give him REAL money for a staff and recruiting and let's get to work. We are wasting time, let's go.

gtowndawg
01-02-2020, 12:00 PM
I agree 100%,go get HUD and hire him a great staff,damn his skeletons people keep bringing up.

Mullen already had a kid out of wedlock that nobody knew about it when he was hired (not the general fan base anyway). To many people in Mississippi that's a "skeleton in the closet" but did anyone care? No.

Coach34
01-02-2020, 12:05 PM
I think so, but C34?s comment about ?bringing him home? makes me think it?s Hud.

I didnt make the bringing him home comment- and my guy was from Louisiana that talked to the coach. We have talked to Napier- either we are moving on and Napier got the extension leaked to get us to open the wallet a little wider

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 12:07 PM
I didnt make the bringing him home comment- and my guy was from Louisiana that talked to the coach. We have talked to Napier- either we are moving on and Napier got the extension leaked to get us to open the wallet a little wider

Pay him and ULL whatever it takes. If what is out there is true, keeping Moorhead but making him turn almost everything over is pretty damn weak

DLGDawg
01-02-2020, 12:09 PM
Who exactly at this juncture are we trying to out flank? I've never understood this in the middle of the annual carousel much less now.

Just posturing from Napier's camp to get the starting salary as high as possible.

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Just posturing from Napier's camp to get the starting salary as high as possible.

I don't think so. I think he's staying at ULL.

OLJWales
01-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Why?

Doggie_Style
01-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Totally agree.....the timing is fantastic!! Our two guys, Napier and Hud are both still out there. Our recruits are in the stable. Make the 17ing move and let's GO!

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 12:19 PM
Why?

I read his statement. I just don't think the extension thing would've come out if he was considering being our HC. I'm still thinking too many dominoes have to fall for something good to happen now. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm leaning towards giving Hud a shot. Next year gonna suck anyway, let's see what Hud can do with it. IMO almost without a doubt we'd be better with Hud. Is he long term answer? Maybe/Maybe not ... don't know. But now is time to give him a shot if we can't line up a really good candidate otherwise.

And right now I'm not sure we can line up a really good candidate. Joe seems to have more lives than a damn cat.

Dawgfan77
01-02-2020, 12:22 PM
Word Has gotten out and they realized this info to throw off the rumor so he can coach the bowl game Monday. A ULL ext means nothing compared to a dream job of coaching in the SEC. not that we are his dream job just his dream of being a HC in the SEC

Coach34
01-02-2020, 12:22 PM

If so- then its on to Grantham and some others

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 12:24 PM
If so- then its on to Grantham and some others

I'd lots rather have Hud or Rich Rod

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 12:25 PM
Word Has gotten out and they realized this info to throw off the rumor so he can coach the bowl game Monday. A ULL ext means nothing compared to a dream job of coaching in the SEC. not that we are his dream job just his dream of being a HC in the SEC

There's been lots of coaches that coached bowl games knowing they were going somewhere else. Bowl game doesn't mean anything.

ETA: And we have a good bit of turmoil now too. We getting somewhat dangerously close to Rick Ray scenario here IMO. Hope not.

TrapGame
01-02-2020, 12:30 PM
I'd lots rather have Hud or Rich Rod

It would be absolutely mind blowing if we turned out to be the rebound for Rich Rod's career.

Ari Gold
01-02-2020, 12:35 PM
More proof that wheels were in motion pre egg bowl like some on here said .. that whole notion he was back regardless of the EB is false... I understand the Paid guys have to toe the line ..
as C34 said this wont take long if it happens

My gut tells me he is gone.. a long with the info I get pre EB and now

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 12:37 PM
More proof that wheels were in motion pre egg bowl like some on here said .. that whole notion he was back regardless of the EB is false... I understand the Paid guys have to toe the line ..
as C34 said this wont take long if it happens

My gut tells me he is gone.. a long with the info I get pre EB and now

I think we end up with him staying but with a lot of turnover and him being demoted basically. Which is pretty weak and aint gonna change shit

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 12:40 PM
I think we end up with him staying but with a lot of turnover and him being demoted basically. Which is pretty weak and aint gonna change shit

It'll be a disaster. Joe don't like to be questioned at all anyway. Micromanaging him ain't gonna work. Besides that, if he has to be micromanaged, he needs to go anyway.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 12:41 PM
It'll be a disaster. Joe don't like to be questioned at all anyway. Micromanaging him ain't gonna work. Besides that, if he has to be micromanaged, he needs to go anyway.

Its either that or be fired for him. Simple

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 12:43 PM

No one is happy in that scenario. We are stuck with a lame duck coach. Moorhead is just drawing a paycheck but his career is taking a nose dive. The best thing for everyone at this point is to make a clean break. We get a new coach to bring excitement back to the fans and Moorhead gets to go somewhere with his nest egg and help restart his career.

Doggie_Style
01-02-2020, 12:45 PM

I just have to believe he is gone. The torches and pitchforks are out now and Cohen is feeling the heat. He isn't going to 17 his career for ole Joe.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 12:46 PM
No one is happy in that scenario. We are stuck with a lame duck coach. Moorhead is just drawing a paycheck but his career is taking a nose dive. The best thing for everyone at this point is to make a clean break. We get a new coach to bring excitement back to the fans and Moorhead gets to go somewhere with his nest egg and help restart his career.

Yep. But Im just telling you thats what I believe will happen. Partly bc we have an outstanding tendency to find a way to screw it up and we have shit luck.

Its time we start making our own luck and do what needs to be done. Its 50/50 for me. But Im leaning with demotion and turn it all over then fire him in november of next year. A whole lot of lost money and wasted time between now and then

Coursesuper
01-02-2020, 12:52 PM

That line of thought by our "leadership" is so stupid its incredible! Classic country club thinking, seen it many times before and it fails every time. Guys get hired and struggle those that know dick about whats going on try to mentor him then bring in "help" and they end up worse off than when they started "helping".

gtowndawg
01-02-2020, 12:53 PM

I'm sure he will really work hard to secure a good recruiting class next year under those circumstances**

TrapGame
01-02-2020, 12:53 PM
I just have to believe he is gone. The torches and pitchforks are out now and Cohen is feeling the heat. He isn't going to 17 his career for ole Joe.

He had to win the bowl game to remotely salvage next season. Not only did we lose but we looked just as unprepared, undisciplined and anemic as we have since Joe got here. It Joe stays the financial fallout for Starkville and MSU will be far more than his buyout.

CoachT14
01-02-2020, 12:54 PM
Yep. But Im just telling you thats what I believe will happen. Partly bc we have an outstanding tendency to find a way to screw it up and we have shit luck.

Its time we start making our own luck and do what needs to be done. Its 50/50 for me. But Im leaning with demotion and turn it all over then fire him in november of next year. A whole lot of lost money and wasted time between now and then

"I find the harder I work, the more good luck I have." - Thomas Jefferson

We've got to stop setting parameters on ourselves because of the past. Being realistic and setting realistic goals is one thing. Expectations and setting a standard is a completely different story. If you don't set high expectations and standards, you are going to fail. That's exactly what we've done in the past.

For instance, we should have certain expectations and standards and separate goals. Expectations - Blue collar work ethic, compete day in and day out, excel in the classroom. Goals - Ex. for this past season - Win 8 Games. Upset a higher ranked team. Win a bowl game. Win the Egg Bowl.

All these folks with loser mentalities don't even care to have high expectations. All they think about is what if it gets worse, but it won't if we set high expectations and standards for the coaches. Just like we have in Women's Basketball and Baseball.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 01:08 PM
"I find the harder I work, the more good luck I have." - Thomas Jefferson

We've got to stop setting parameters on ourselves because of the past. Being realistic and setting realistic goals is one thing. Expectations and setting a standard is a completely different story. If you don't set high expectations and standards, you are going to fail. That's exactly what we've done in the past.

For instance, we should have certain expectations and standards and separate goals. Expectations - Blue collar work ethic, compete day in and day out, excel in the classroom. Goals - Ex. for this past season - Win 8 Games. Upset a higher ranked team. Win a bowl game. Win the Egg Bowl.

All these folks with loser mentalities don't even care to have high expectations. All they think about is what if it gets worse, but it won't if we set high expectations and standards for the coaches. Just like we have in Women's Basketball and Baseball.

I agree. Moorhead has taken a solid culture and program and torn it down. Its pretty impressive honestly. You have to really be either lazy as shit or a total pushover to allow this

Doggie_Style
01-02-2020, 01:11 PM
He had to win the bowl game to remotely salvage next season. Not only did we lose but we looked just as unprepared, undisciplined and anemic as we have since Joe got here. It Joe stays the financial fallout for Starkville and MSU will be far more than his buyout.

This^^^^^........and everyone all the way to the top knows it

vindastra
01-02-2020, 01:16 PM
What is the board's opinion about Shoop as HC?

If Grantham is a candidate (supposedly), why not Shoop? If we are trying to force an OC on Moorhead, why not force an OC on Shoop etc.?

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 01:21 PM
What is the board's opinion about Shoop as HC?

If Grantham is a candidate (supposedly), why not Shoop? If we are trying to force an OC on Moorhead, why not force an OC on Shoop etc.?

Grantham is better than Shoop IMO. We dont disguise our blitzes nearly as well under Shoop and the way we cover slots is rage enducing. Maybe its bc of who we have out there, could easily be the case but I would still take Grantham over Shoop.

Msujd164
01-02-2020, 01:25 PM
If there was every any apprehension about hiring HUD bc of ‘skeletons’ then now is the time to forget it. OM just hired DJ Durkin. Huds skeletons can?t be worse than Durkin.

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Grantham is better than Shoop IMO. We dont disguise our blitzes nearly as well under Shoop and the way we cover slots is rage enducing. Maybe its bc of who we have out there, could easily be the case but I would still take Grantham over Shoop.

Shoop disguised much better than Grantham last year. Grantham telegraphs his all the time. I think this year had a lot to do with young personnel and mixing/matching all the time. Add in poor S&C development in offseason. IMO Shoop is in as bad or worse situation than with Butch at TN.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but I ain't ready to give up on Shoop yet. His toughness Tuesdays elevated our D last year to become what it was. Going into TTown and holding Tua to 167 yds passing with a depleted secondary was a damn good accomplishment too. I just don't think a Grantham D would've held Tua & those receivers down like that.

Randolph Dupree
01-02-2020, 01:34 PM

Tobone is correct. This is actually a good time. Recruiting hay is in the barn. As 34, myself and others have stated, we might lose a guy or two but probably not. Most classes are basically full with a handful of targets remaining. Plus, some have already enrolled so they are locked in. The Coaching Convention is right around the corner so there will be lots of moves being made.

msudawg1200
01-02-2020, 01:38 PM

If you are going to blitz the outside guy off the slot you either have to A) roll a safety down and another over into a cover 3 B) play cover 2 read with the corner covering the flats, or C) cover zero(straight man) or cover one(man with one high safety)which is better in nickel or you have an LB covering a slot. It looked to me like, at least from the blitzing side, we were playing a soft man with our safety on the slot which is fine, but you can’t stay 10 yards off at least roll down to 6 or 7, and you can’t give up the inside. We were doing both which made it an easy pickup for the QB and completion.

Randolph Dupree
01-02-2020, 01:40 PM

If it is Napier, we will probably wait until Sat or Sun to announce that Joe is out but Napier is coaching a bowl game on Monday so it would be Tuesday or Wednesday before an announcement is made. My guess would be Wednesday. That would allow both sides to agree to terms in principle and have Tuesday to iron out the details. That's a really tight timeline so it could slide a day or two.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Shoop disguised much better than Grantham last year. Grantham telegraphs his all the time. I think this year had a lot to do with young personnel and mixing/matching all the time. Add in poor S&C development in offseason. IMO Shoop is in as bad or worse situation than with Butch at TN.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but I ain't ready to give up on Shoop yet. His toughness Tuesdays elevated our D last year to become what it was. Going into TTown and holding Tua to 167 yds passing with a depleted secondary was a damn good accomplishment too. I just don't think a Grantham D would've held Tua & those receivers down like that.

I thought Shoop did about as well as he could this year.

Not his fault the offense is atrocious

Cooterpoot
01-02-2020, 01:48 PM
Logistics of the staff and signees are being worked through. If all that falls in place, things go BOOM.

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 01:48 PM
I thought Shoop did about as well as he could this year.

Not his fault the offense is atrocious

Another thing folks ain't taking into consideration is the D gets tired of holding up the O ... so they might be like WTF. And ... they're also on the field all the time when the O goes 3 & out over and over again.

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 01:49 PM
Logistics of the staff and signees are being worked through. If all that falls in place, things go BOOM.

Like I said ... a lot of dominoes have to fall in place.

CovertDawg
01-02-2020, 01:51 PM
If we were to hire Hud then might as well pay him 300K and tell him to go spend 3 million on Coordinators because that is the only way we ever do better than the Belk Bowl with him.

Coursesuper
01-02-2020, 01:51 PM

Bring it home boys!

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 01:56 PM

If we are talking to signees, then it’s done. But I think maybe you mean trying to gauge if any/how many might request a release.

gtowndawg
01-02-2020, 02:19 PM
If there was every any apprehension about hiring HUD bc of ?skeletons? then now is the time to forget it. OM just hired DJ Durkin. Huds skeletons can?t be worse than Durkin.

Skeletons is a joke. Sort of like those Mike Norvell skeletons where no big program would touch him lol. Bring Hud back, give him REAL money for a real staff and recruiting and let's get to work.