PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like Napier Just Signed an Extension

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:34 AM
That seems to say State has not back door channel contacted him.

lefty96
01-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Or they did and he wasn't interested.

dantheman4248
01-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Or Cohen got played for an extension / pay raise. Again.

Just another strike at the man who was Peter Principled into too powerful of a job.

Dawgology
Hud is the guy anyway

Spiderman

Yep

Doggie_Style

I don't think that means anything....what's he suppose to do?

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:39 AM
I don't think that means anything....what's he suppose to do?

If State had contacted his agent about making a move, I highly doubt he would sign an extension and add to his buyout.

Unless State did and he told them to pound sand

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 10:39 AM
It was already in the works after making the title game and they had already announced an extension in Oct for 1 year.

lefty96
01-02-2020, 10:41 AM
If State had contacted his agent about making a move, I highly doubt he would sign an extension and add to his buyout.

Exactly, if you are pondering a move, you don't double down on where you already are. So either he was never contacted or he said "no thanks" - those are the only options.

confucius say
01-02-2020, 10:43 AM
That seems to say State has not back door channel contacted him.

Link? Is this the one he signed in October 2019 that extended him until 2023? Or is this a second extension?

Doggie_Style
01-02-2020, 10:44 AM

Are you talking about the extension he signed in October or something new? Link?

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Link? Is this the one he signed in October 2019 that extended him until 2023? Or is this a second extension?

2nd extension. totally new. Ross Dellenger is reporting it on Twitter

Doggie_Style
01-02-2020, 10:48 AM
2nd extension. totally new. Ross Dellenger is reporting it on Twitter

Sounds to me like that new 2 year extension is in the works, not yet signed

JoseBrown
01-02-2020, 10:48 AM
All that means is it would cost a little more money. Any new hire and firing Jo will cost us. There will be no perfect situation. Either we make a move or we don't, it's gonna cost us.

Coach34
01-02-2020, 10:49 AM
Said he agreed to an extension- not signed one

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Sounds to me like that new 2 year extension is in the works, not yet signed

Dellenger says going to be announced. Acted like it's done

Jack Lambert
01-02-2020, 10:53 AM
We were going to have to pay his buy out anyways. That contract can't be that big.

Coach34
01-02-2020, 10:54 AM

"Billy Napier is getting a two-year contract extension that takes his deal with the Cajuns through 2025, source says. Will be announced soon."

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 10:55 AM

But he didn’t say it was signed. Just that he was getting one and it would be announced soon. That means they are working on it and they would announce it soon, as in once the details are finalized.

Doggie_Style
01-02-2020, 10:56 AM
"Billy Napier is getting a two-year contract extension that takes his deal with the Cajuns through 2025, source says. Will be announced soon."

Which means to me that it ain't signed.....when it is it will be announced.

Spiderman

Yep, and leaked for a reason. You usually don't leak to reporters unless it's done

trojandawg
Not saying he is coming to state, but let?s not forget they manny was head coach at temple for like a week before signing with Miami. So anything is possible

dantheman4248
Remember when we announced JoMo had an extension and it was never formally announced as signed. Yea. Optics.

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Which means to me that it ain't signed.....when it is it will be announced.

It probably won?t be signed even when they announce it. Just a letter of an agreement will be signed. The actual contract would be signed at a later date. He may not even have signed the Oct extension and this one will either replace that agreement or be an addendum

Scared_Hitless
01-02-2020, 10:59 AM
Doesn't matter if it isn't Napier in all likelihood it is Hud. I think he would be able to rally the troops and we know we would play hard.

Give me anyone at this point. If we go the firing assistants route we are just wasting money ala Ole Miss this season.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Remember when we announced JoMo had an extension and it was never formally announced as signed. Yea. Optics.

Guess I'm the only one finding it odd that this was reported today with all the rumors swirling. Just a coincidence, I guess

mstatefan91
01-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Doubtful the university leaked this info to media without it being basically a done deal.. but who knows? Mullen was our coach now and forever v Arkansas 2017.

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Yep, and leaked for a reason. You usually don't leak to reporters unless it's done

Willie Taggert didn’t even have a final signed contract with FSU when they fired him. Worked for nearly 2 years under a letter agreement. There is a huge difference in announcing that he is getting an extension and an actually signed contract, which wouldn’t happen for some time afterwards. Usually months. This screams that they are negotiating the extension and will announce once they have it agreed. NOT that they have already agreed to it. If so, you announce the extension agreement NOT that he will be getting an extension.

Cowbell
01-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Anyone think this could have been leaked by an agent to raise the stakes.... simple move

Coach34
01-02-2020, 11:12 AM

Or a negotiation ploy

sandwolf
01-02-2020, 11:13 AM
Anyone think this could have been leaked by an agent to raise the stakes.... simple move

I had the same thought. Probably just wishful thinking though....

Cowbell
01-02-2020, 11:16 AM
I had the same thought. Probably just wishful thinking though....

I mean, I honestly doubt the guy is excited to stay there for 2 more years. I'm sure it's either thrown out by an agent to raise stakes (maybe not us exactly) or by school that's scared to lose him.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Guess I'm the only one finding it odd that this was reported today with all the rumors swirling. Just a coincidence, I guess

Anyway that this is a negotiating tactic on Napier's side? He could be driving the price up on Cohen especially if the rumors of a done deal was true. Napier could have turned some offers down thinking he had our job only to get the rug pulled out from under him. We could be paying a premium now.

TNDawg35
01-02-2020, 11:20 AM
This is a win win for Napier. His agent puts out talk of an extension to force Cohens hand, and if Cohen folds, he has an extension...

TrapGame
01-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Anyway that this is a negotiating tactic on Napier's side? He could be driving the price up on Cohen especially if the rumors of a done deal was true. Napier could have turned some offers down thinking he had our job only to get the rug pulled out from under him. We could be paying a premium now.

This could be released to force us to pull the trigger on Moorhead. We've talked to Napier, probably, and this is his agent telling us to shit or get off the pot.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 11:25 AM
This could be released to force us to pull the trigger on Moorhead. We've talked to Napier, probably, and this is his agent telling us to shit or get off the pot.

I hope that is all it is. I would really like to have Napier as our head coach. I think he would bring the correct program building culture.

RiverCityDawg
01-02-2020, 11:50 AM

I'm with you. I don't know that it means we are going to get him (if we actually fire Moorhead) but the timing is just too coincidental.

Paul Jones reported that his contact at ULL (Looney) told him back in November that all the assistants were getting two year extensions. So this has been in the works for a while and it's just now leaked to someone like Ross? Again, maybe it's a sign that he's staying but I have to believe it's connected in some way.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Or a negotiation ploy

ULL just announced it officially. Again, schools don't leak it toa reporter unless it's done

confucius say
01-02-2020, 12:59 PM
ULL just announced it officially. Again, schools don't leak it toa reporter unless it's done

We did

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 01:01 PM
We did

where did we leak it to a beat reporter and say it would be announced?

MarketingBully
01-02-2020, 01:06 PM
Extensions don’t mean shit. If we offer Napier enough money he will come. Period.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Extensions don?t mean shit. If we offer Napier enough money he will come. Period.

The point is, if State had contacted him back channel, and he was interested, he wouldn't sign it yet.

Therefore we haven't made contact OR he told us to piss off.

And if we haven't made contact, it would seem Moorhead may be kept. Which sucks mule balls

MarketingBully
01-02-2020, 01:16 PM
The point is, if State had contacted him back channel, and he was interested, he wouldn't sign it yet.

Therefore we haven't made contact OR he told us to piss off.

And if we haven't made contact, it would seem Moorhead may be kept. Which sucks mule balls

His buyout went from $2 mil down to 1.25 after Jan 1st so it seems making a move after the first of the year isn’t the worst thing after all. I’m sure other coach’s contracts are similar to this one. It wouldn’t upset me one bit if we went and got Bill Clark at UAB if Napier is idiotic enough to turn down an SEC job to stay at UL.

Mjoelner34
01-02-2020, 01:25 PM
His buyout went from $2 mil down to 1.25 after Jan 1st so it seems making a move after the first of the year isn’t the worst thing after all. I’m sure other coach’s contracts are similar to this one. It wouldn’t upset me one bit if we went and got Bill Clark at UAB if Napier is idiotic enough to turn down an SEC job to stay at UL.

Id rather have Chizik Clark hasn't coached outside the state the state of Alabama and his offense was blah even by CUSA standards. 10th in both ppg and yds/game. We have that now in a tougher conference.

Randolph Dupree
01-02-2020, 01:26 PM
I don't know if Napier is the next guy or not. It sure seemed like he was the guy we were targeting but maybe he got pissed and his interest is no longer there. Who knows. The announcement of the extension means nothing really. The guy is getting ready to play a bowl game so they aren't going to come out and say he is in discussions with other schools. My guess is that the two sides have agreed to terms but nothing will be signed until after their bowl game. Even if they have agreed to terms, who knows what those terms are. He could have a clause where the buyout to go to an SEC school is less than say another G5 school or Big 10 school etc. I remember Urban Meyer had a clause in one of his contracts where the buyout was basically $0 if he left for Notre Dame.

Hell, we could be feeling him out and this could be a negotiation tactic.

Point is, don't read too much into the announcement of extensions.

confucius say
01-02-2020, 01:34 PM
where did we leak it to a beat reporter and say it would be announced?

You think Ross is Ull beat reporter? Or a beat reporter at all? Ull May have leaked it, but there is no way to know that. Could have been an agent, or Ross?s alma mater.

And we leaked Joe?s being canned to media sources, right Rouge?

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 01:41 PM
You think Ross is Ull beat reporter? Or a beat reporter at all? Ull May have leaked it, but there is no way to know that. Could have been an agent, or Ross?s alma mater.

And we leaked Joe?s being canned to media sources, right Rouge?

He's an SI football reporter. ULL leaked it to him.

And no official at State leaked Joe was getting canned that I saw

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 01:45 PM
He's an SI football reporter. ULL leaked it to him.

And no official at State leaked Joe was getting canned that I saw

Wow ... Rosie must really want this to happen cause he say hold the horses on UL Extension. His source believe UL is playing poker with the media.

I ain't getting my hopes up none but ... Rosie be wanting a change for sure.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Wow ... Rosie must really want this to happen cause he say hold the horses on UL Extension. His source believe UL is playing poker with the media.

I ain't getting my hopes up none but ... Rosie be wanting a change for sure.

So is Rosebowl saying the ULL extension isn't signed so might not be a done deal?

maroonmania
01-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Do we know the extension necessarily increases the buyout? They don't always go hand in hand.

dawgday166
01-02-2020, 01:56 PM
So is Rosebowl saying the ULL extension isn't signed so might not be a done deal?

Rosie still checking. He just posted too that Napier's buyout dropped yesterday from $2 mill to $1.25. I'm guessing Moorhead's dropped too and I believe I read that on here.

Hell ... things never work out that good for us * So I still ain't getting my hopes up too much.

OLJWales
01-02-2020, 01:58 PM
I don't understand an extension in Oct 2019 then another in January 2020. Can somebody splain that?

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 01:59 PM

The University Of Louisiana Lafayette officially announced it on their website that an extension HAD BEEN SIGNED today.

https://ragincajuns.com/news/2020/1/2/football-louisiana-napier-agree-to-two-year-contract-extension.aspx

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Just another little tidbit. The contract extension for Billy in Oct was originally leaked by sources in July of 2019. So it was months before the actual announcement of that deal.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 02:03 PM
Just another little tidbit. The contract extension for Billy in Oct was originally leaked by sources in July of 2019. So it was months before the actual announcement of that deal.

See above

Dawgface
01-02-2020, 02:06 PM
The University Of Louisiana Lafayette officially announced it on their website that an extension HAD BEEN SIGNED today.

https://ragincajuns.com/news/2020/1/2/football-louisiana-napier-agree-to-two-year-contract-extension.aspx

I see agreed to but help me see the signed part.

RougeDawg
01-02-2020, 02:08 PM
This extension has been in the works for months, long before the push to remove Sloppy. Has no impact on sloppy joe.

Do not read anything into this.

Really Clark?
This extension enhancement was already reported on Dec. 5th. This is not something new that just popped up today.

MarketingBully

That just says reached an agreement not signed. They are very careful with the wording there. But it’s all moot any way. If we really want him we will get him. This is pure poker like Steve says it is. They don’t want this to be a distraction for the bowl. This shit isn’t put out if they aren’t playing on Monday.

Cowbell
01-02-2020, 02:09 PM

Please screenshot where they say it had been signed. You are reading into this way too much.

Spiderman
I see agreed to but help me see the signed part.

You don't officially announce it like that if it isn't signed.

Randolph Dupree
That just says reached an agreement not signed. They are very careful with the wording there. But it’s all moot any way. If we really want him we will get him. This is pure poker like Steve says it is. They don’t want this to be a distraction for the bowl. This shit isn’t put out if they aren’t playing on Monday.

Bingo

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 02:10 PM
See above

This is not new. It was reported on in Dec. By Dellenger himself. And it’s been announced as an agreement to extend. Not signed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.klfy.com/sports/cajun-nation/report-ul-preparing-to-enhance-napiers-contract-to-keep-him-in-lafayette/amp/

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 02:11 PM
See above

This is not new. It was reported on in Dec. By Dellenger himself. And it?s been announced as an agreement to extend. Not signed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.klfy.com/sports/cajun-nation/report-ul-preparing-to-enhance-napiers-contract-to-keep-him-in-lafayette/amp/

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 02:13 PM

Yeah you do. Happens all the time. He might have signed or gave a verbal to a letter of agreement but an actual contact signing takes place much later.

MarketingBully
01-02-2020, 02:13 PM

That is a load of bullshit.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 02:15 PM
Please screenshot where they say it had been signed. You are reading into this way too much.

You are hoping too much.

I own a company, I'm not announcing anything official on my website unless it is signed and done.

Hold out hope if it helps, but this isn't what State fans want to see.

I think most aren't reading enough into it.

Randolph Dupree
01-02-2020, 02:15 PM
That is a load of bullshit.

Didn't we announce an extension for Joe right after the EB even though it was not signed?

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Didn't we announce an extension for Joe right after the EB even though it was not signed?

Never saw an official announcement of that

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 02:21 PM

Dellenger (see a pattern) and Robertson are the ones who announced it with “sources”. The school has never officially made a statement that he was extended or release terms. When we extended him in May, we had statements release by Cohen and Moorehead.

confucius say
01-02-2020, 02:22 PM

Didn?t we announce an extension for joe after egg bowl? Is it signed?

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Dellenger (see a pattern) and Robertson are the ones who announced it with “sources”. The school has never officially made a statement that he was extended or release terms. When we extended him in May, we had statements release by Cohen and Moorehead.

Yep and they had statements released by Napier and the AD today

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Didn?t we announce an extension for joe after egg bowl? Is it signed?

Never saw any such official announcement

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 02:30 PM

And Manny Diaz was actually head coach of Temple for about a week, press conference and all. Statements that they have agreed to an extension doesn't keep Napier from leaving. Now, if this is a sign that Napier told us no then we go to the next name on the list.

On the flip side, Saban told reporters that he wouldn't be Bama's head coach and then around 48 hours later was on the podium in Tuscaloosa.

Cowbell
01-02-2020, 02:30 PM
You are hoping too much.

I own a company, I'm not announcing anything official on my website unless it is signed and done.

Hold out hope if it helps, but this isn't what State fans want to see.

I think most aren't reading enough into it.

It has nothing to do with hope. And I own my own company too, but this isn't a pissing match. This is logic. You obviously haven't watched the coaching carousel very much. OM announced an extension for Luke with statements from the AD several weeks before they fired him. Just like we did with Joe.

Honestly, this screams smokescreen to me. Just like others are saying above, this is only announced to help with the bowl game.

confucius say
01-02-2020, 02:31 PM

I noticed the articles say no financial terms were released. You heard any buyout terms?

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 02:32 PM

They did. To announce the agreement. When we released in May, it stated it was for the signing of the extension and gave the terms of the new deal. They are just announcing an agreement not a signing.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2020, 02:35 PM
I'm not saying we get Napier or not but that announced extension means nothing. Heck I watched Belichick resign as jets head coach during the press conference that was anouncing him as the jets NEW head coach. Anything is at play when it comes to hiring coaches.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 02:42 PM
It has nothing to do with hope. And I own my own company too, but this isn't a pissing match. This is logic. You obviously haven't watched the coaching carousel very much. OM announced an extension for Luke with statements from the AD several weeks before they fired him. Just like we did with Joe.

Honestly, this screams smokescreen to me. Just like others are saying above, this is only announced to help with the bowl game.

Yeah, I don't watch anything to do what so ever with college football much.:rolleyes:

Whatever, all I care about is Moorhead getting fired. Yes, I've watched coaching carousels for about 35-40 years.

I saw Napier turn down interest from other jobs this year, and I just saw him sign an extension today. And that concerns me because if State had reached out to him in the last couple of days I don't think you see this announcement. And If they did, I think he told them no thanks. If he was contacted AND interested, I think he would have played one off the other and not be announcing contract extensions.

I wouldn't agree to one offer before negotiating with the other side. Then again, maybe he did that last couple of days and told State to suck ole buck.

But I'm betting he hasn't heard crap from anyone at State because right now I have no faith in the powers that be up there. It feels like it's 2006 here all over
again when any idiot could see Croom was a disaster yet State did nothing about it and made it worse.

MarketingBully
01-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I don't watch anything to do what so ever with college football much.:rolleyes:

Whatever, all I care about is Moorhead getting fired. Yes, I've watched coaching carousels for about 35-40 years.

I saw Napier turn down interest from other jobs this year, and I just saw him sign an extension today. And that concerns me because if State had reached out to him in the last couple of days I don't think you see this announcement. And If they did, I think he told them no thanks. If he was contacted AND interested, I think he would have played one off the other and not be announcing contract extensions.

I wouldn't agree to one offer before negotiating with the other side. Then again, maybe he did that last couple of days and told State to suck ole buck.

But I'm betting he hasn't heard crap from anyone at State because right now I have no faith in the powers that be up there. It feels like it's 2006 here all over
again when any idiot could see Croom was a disaster yet State did nothing about it and made it worse.

He didn’t sign shit.

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 02:47 PM

But this was already in the works since Dec 5th. Now if we have or have not contacted him since the Bowl game, I don’t know but this is not something new on their end and really doesn’t have anything to do with us. Maybe ULL trying to get i front in case we do attempt to pull him and set up a larger buyout for them, if they had had a tentative agreement already.

MarketingBully
01-02-2020, 02:50 PM
Do you think Napier signed anything today? He’s not even in Lafayette. He’s at the bowl site preparing for a bowl game. Agreeing in principle to something you already agreed to a while back is not news. This is a poker move by the UL AD to take pressure off so they can prepare for a bowl game on Monday. Nothing more.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 02:55 PM
But this was already in the works since Dec 5th. Now if we have or have not contacted him since the Bowl game, I don’t know but this is not something new on their end and really doesn’t have anything to do with us. Maybe ULL trying to get i front in case we do attempt to pull him and set up a larger buyout for them, if they had had a tentative agreement already.

This isn't in a bubble. Unless State contacted Napier in the last couple of days, ULL hasn't even thought about State. It's not like they are watching us real close. As far as they know and are concerned, Moorhead is perfectly safe.

That's why I don't believe State has even put out a feeler to him. I think ULL is more worried about a college coach heading to the NFL and the dominoes start to fall.

Who knows?

I'm just more and more worried State is gonna do nothing because if they were, surely they would have put out feelers.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 02:56 PM

It very well could be either (1) a negotiating tactic by Napier - either get more from ULL or drive up the price on MSU (2) a way to tell his team to not get distracted by reports of him leaving. They are going for 11 wins for the first time in their programs history. I wouldn't blame Napier if he wanted to finish the season out.

At this point, the majority of MSU fans don't want Moorhead. There is no way that the MSU administration doesn't see that. Now they very well could think that the loss in Revenue and Donations will be less than the buyout of Moorhead + buyout of Napier + increase in coaching salaries or whatever else Napier might want.

I personally think that the financial hit MSU and the City of Starkville would take should make the decision to get rid of Moorhead easy. I am not paid to make those decisions though.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Do you think Napier signed anything today? He’s not even in Lafayette. He’s at the bowl site preparing for a bowl game. Agreeing in principle to something you already agreed to a while back is not news. This is a poker move by the UL AD to take pressure off so they can prepare for a bowl game on Monday. Nothing more.

Maybe so. Again, who knows. But this announcement happening today is interesting.

Fun to speculate.

TrapGame
01-02-2020, 03:19 PM
Rose Bowl saying don't put much into the Napier extension.

Something is definitely afoot Watson.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 03:30 PM
Rose Bowl saying don't put much into the Napier extension.

Something is definitely afoot Watson.

Maybe so. But I don't think Napier would act in bad faith with ULL. The Coaching/AD world is small. You don't burn bridges as an up and comer. That AD may be at your dream job one day with a HC opening.

Not saying it means he won't break a deal, but the timing is strange to announce it today. Maybe it's just a big coincidence.

Hell, I hope he breaks it to come here.

And Rosey is right about 15% of the time.

the_real_MSU_is_us
01-02-2020, 04:19 PM
It doesnt matter if Rosey is only right 15% of the time. What's significant is that he -the guy who always totes the company water- basically hinted Napier could be our next HC.

If the admin had already been turned down by Napuer why would they want Rosey hinting hes still a possibility? The only other likely option is Hud and we dont need a smokescreen to hide that move if that's what we do.

No, the fact Rosey is an idiot who knows 1/10th of what he acts like he does is inconsequential here. What is significant is that he was given the green light to hint Napier was our guy