PDA

View Full Version : Just For The Hell Of It

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 09:27 AM
Say State does fire Moorhead today......

I know it's not the norm for a message board, but if it did occur, it has to be looked at with realism.

And the reality is the only coaches State could hire would be those that are at smaller levels or conferences, or those out of coaching currently.

And you have to hire someone who has proven they can win, still has the fire to go wide open everyday, runs an offense that State can recruit to, and be able to recruit the area with solid, already in place contacts. If not, you might as well keep Moorhead instead of taking a risk again.

Therefore, realistically, the group is narrowed down.

Throw out Meyer because he ain't coming. We missed that chance in '02.

So that leaves....

Hud
Napier
Rich Rod
Clark
Fritz

So that's your choices realistically.

Napier I think holds out for something else, especially with this timing.

Fritz is almost 60 and may be satisfied with where he is at.

Clark's in a good situation too, basically a job for life in his home state.

So realistically, it could just be Hud or Rich Rod because of all the above factors and the timing.

Could you live with that?

Me? I could

bluelightstar
01-02-2020, 09:28 AM
This is the rare case where the devil you don't know is better than the devil you do.

ShotgunDawg
01-02-2020, 09:28 AM
I'd give Clawson a call.

I still want to know why Hud isn't the answer

Coursesuper
01-02-2020, 09:29 AM

I know it's not the norm for a message board, but if it did occur, it has to be looked at with realism.

And the reality is the only coaches State could hire would be those that are at smaller levels or conferences, or those out of coaching currently.

And you have to hire someone who has proven they can win, still has the fire to go wide open everyday, runs an offense that State can recruit to, and be able to recruit the area with solid, already in place contacts. If not, you might as well keep Moorhead instead of taking a risk again.

So that leaves....

Hud
Napier
Rich Rod
Clark
Fritz

So realistically, it could just be Hud or Rich Rod because of all the above factors and the timing.

Me? I could

Yep, I could also.

StateDawg44
01-02-2020, 09:30 AM

What does this even mean?

HailStateSZN19
01-02-2020, 09:31 AM
I'd give Clawson a call.

I still want to know why Hud isn't the answer

100% agree on Clawson. I'd for sure give him a call to gauge interest. Napier and Clawson are my personal top 2.

DownwardDawg
01-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Yes I could live with either of those, but I don’t think you’re right about Napier or Clark. I think either would jump on the job with the SEC money we throw at them if we want to.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 09:34 AM
What does this even mean?

it means he is still coaching, and that it's a bad timing as far as the coaching cycle. Plus, he may bet on himself landing a bigger job somewhere in the future. Be a good bet at ULL where he should continue to win.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 09:36 AM
Yes I could live with either of those, but I don’t think you’re right about Napier or Clark. I think either would jump on the job with the SEC money we throw at them if we want to.

Maybe, but of that group, Clark and Fritz would be my bottom 2.

Commercecomet24
01-02-2020, 09:36 AM
At this point I'd take the guy from Friday night tykes over joe.

StateDawg44
01-02-2020, 09:39 AM
it means he is still coaching, and that it's a bad timing as far as the coaching cycle. Plus, he may bet on himself landing a bigger job somewhere in the future. Be a good bet at ULL where he should continue to win.

This just seems very very short-sighted. He could easily request to finish out at ULL and why would we not grant that?

Maroonthirteen
01-02-2020, 09:40 AM
Good... logical post.

Yes, I could live with that. After that performance in the bowl, I would be ok with anyone at this point.

Any of those guys or even Chizik.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 09:43 AM

This year is unique with the early signing period locking up almost the entire recruiting class. It isn't completely out of the norm for programs to hire at this time of year. As far as Napier, he would have to have a lot of faith in himself to think he would get a better job than a middle tier SEC school. As long as Cohen isn't trying to go cheap, there isn't a handful of jobs that would be available within the next 2-3 years that would be pay better. I believe Napier is recruiting well enough to keep ULL around the 9-10 win record but you never can tell what school will be looking at G5 coaches.

I think if we are hiring then Napier is probably the guy but we will definitely have someone locked up before we let Moorhead go. At this point, I would take Hud or Rich Rod over Moorhead.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 09:44 AM
This just seems very very short-sighted. He could easily request to finish out at ULL and why would we not grant that?

We could also announce him on Tuesday after their bowl game. I don't know what 4 days would hurt.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 09:45 AM
Good... logical post.

Yes, I could live with that. After that performance in the bowl, I would be ok with anyone at this point.

Any of those guys or even Chizik.

IMO Chizk doesn't fit the criteria. Without Gus and Cam he is a loser at Auburn.

TrapGame
01-02-2020, 09:48 AM
If we are down to Hud I'm good with that. Joe is an abysmal failure. Hud's resume is actually better imo.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 09:49 AM
This year is unique with the early signing period locking up almost the entire recruiting class. It isn't completely out of the norm for programs to hire at this time of year. As far as Napier, he would have to have a lot of faith in himself to think he would get a better job than a middle tier SEC school. As long as Cohen isn't trying to go cheap, there isn't a handful of jobs that would be available within the next 2-3 years that would be pay better. I believe Napier is recruiting well enough to keep ULL around the 9-10 win record but you never can tell what school will be looking at G5 coaches.

I think if we are hiring then Napier is probably the guy but we will definitely have someone locked up before we let Moorhead go. At this point, I would take Hud or Rich Rod over Moorhead.

The point of the post is this.....

I see everybody saying who they want. All fine and good. The point is can you live with ANY of the coaches on that list?

Because 99% it's gonna be one of them.

If Napier did say no, could you live with the others?

Or wait and take your chances next year at some time?

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 09:49 AM
IMO Chizk doesn't fit the criteria. Without Gus and Cam he is a loser at Auburn.

I completely agree. I would not want Chizik. He was purely brought in at Auburn so they could have a coach that was All In on the Network cranking up to 11.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 09:54 AM

I see everybody saying who they want. All fine and good. The point is can you live with ANY of the coaches on that list?

I would take anyone on that list over Moorhead at this time. I think another year with a lame duck coach that is destroying our culture is the worst possible choice. At Moorhead's pace of losing 2 more games than he should, we might not make a bowl game anyway. I can honestly say that no one on that list could do worse than what I expect from Moorhead and I would hope they would bring a SEC mentality back to our program instead of the Fordham.

KB21
01-02-2020, 09:56 AM
There is still an assistant coach pool that can be selected from. It's not ideal, but when you have an AD that is tight on the purse strings, it may be what you get.

KOdawg1
01-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Good points although I disagree about Napier. I think he'd come here in a heartbeat. He would be OM's coach had Kiffin gone to Arkansas.

confucius say
I look at it this way, at worst we hire Hud and I would take that over joe

StateDawg44
We could also announce him on Tuesday after their bowl game. I don't know what 4 days would hurt.

Exactly. Why would we want a coach that isn't excited to come in and get the ball rolling? He could easily start lining his staff up and making calls in those 4 days. Get his name inked on some paper and keep it quiet for 4 days and announce it following their bowl game.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:00 AM
There is still an assistant coach pool that can be selected from. It's not ideal, but when you have an AD that is tight on the purse strings, it may be what you get.

The assistant choice are there. But a gamble. We have hit on 1 gamble. missed on 2 in the last 20 years.

I'm ready for knowing what you are getting.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:02 AM
Good points although I disagree about Napier. I think he'd come here in a heartbeat. He would be OM's coach had Kiffin gone to Arkansas.

I never said he wouldn't come. But the only 2 who I think would 100% take it are Hud and Rich Rod

MrKotter
01-02-2020, 10:04 AM

At this point I'd be fine with an interim for a year over Moorhead.

Really Clark?
01-02-2020, 10:07 AM
I would add Luke Fickle as someone I would definitely speak with. He is winning in an offensive league with good defense. Will play BC today for a chance at 11 wins again. Yes there are negatives considering he has never coached outside of Ohio but he is running a very good program. Tough, disciplined, really bought in culture in that program. Really like what he is doing.

Some have mentioned gambling with Joe Brady. I think that is a mistake but if you are looking for a candidate to gamble on who is early in their career, Will Healy is a guy to watch and speak with. If you like PJ Fleck, he is drawing similarities in his coaching style/personality to Fleck.

Off the beaten path target, Jay Hill at Weber St. Has done an outstanding job there and finished with 10+ wins his 3rd straight season. Lost in the FCS semifinals to #2 James Madison. 2 of his losses were to FBS San Diego St 6-0 and Nevada 19-13. His biggest negative is also only coached at Utah prior to Weber St. if he succeeds and Whittingham retires, Utah can pluck him if that’s who they want.

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 10:09 AM
The assistant choice are there. But a gamble. We have hit on 1 gamble. missed on 2 in the last 20 years.

I'm ready for knowing what you are getting.

On top of that, Moorhead had experience being a head coach but Fordham is entirely a different animal than Division I. Of course we also found out that Fordham was basically the only team in that league with scholarships so that was a huge advantage along with a NFL RB.

I think we need to hire someone that has been successful as a head coach. I wouldn't limit it to only Division I. KSU was able to get a good coach from the lower ranks. The important thing for us is are they a good CEO and can they adapt. You probably need to be a good recruiter in the SEC but you can always hire a good recruiting staff.

Behrdawg
01-02-2020, 10:19 AM
Attention: HUD WILL NEVER BE OUR HC.

Why? I'll leave it at this....the past will haunt you.

Spiderman
01-02-2020, 10:23 AM

I keep seeing this. I have no idea what it entails.

But I do know he was hired here twice.

So unless he did something during his last stint here, I wonder what this thing he did is?

Tbonewannabe
01-02-2020, 10:31 AM

So unless he did something during his last stint here, I wonder what this thing he did is?

And both times he left was to take a head coaching position. I don't get it unless one of the bigger donors just does not like him. He wouldn't be my first choice but I think he would be an improvement over Moorhead. His only blemish is the ULL NCAA investigation and then the decline afterwards. Other than that, he has been successful everywhere.

Indndawg
01-02-2020, 10:36 AM
Clawson first
Napier 2nd
Hud 3rd

Rich Rod and Clark are at my bottom but still acceptable vs what we have

OLJWales
01-02-2020, 10:41 AM

The program is in desperate need of change so yes, we can live with that because the options available cannot be as bad as where we're at now.

You can make top tier money at State. If Napier is confident in his ability to coach at a higher level, I think he would accept. He was by far the better coach when we played them this year.

dantheman4248
01-02-2020, 10:53 AM
Someone tell me why Hud is off limits because of NCAA violations as a head man by an employee that was acting in a rogue manner over paying players. (Which is something that the NCAA is on the path to allowing completely.)

BUT

The same people that block that aren't clamoring to remove JoMo with his ACADEMIC violations (which will never be allowed by the NCAA)

Why is there a double standard towards Hud when we're giving a pass for Moorhead?

Johnson85
01-02-2020, 11:12 AM

I assume the people saying this are full of shit or are just ignorant and think that being at a program where NCAA sanctions are leveled is per se disqualifying. We just don't have a culture where he could have done something disqualifying without some smoke getting out as far as what it entailed.

Johnson85
01-02-2020, 11:17 AM

So that leaves....

Hud
Napier
Rich Rod
Clark
Fritz

Me? I could

I'd be good with either. I think Rich Rod would have a pretty low ceiling, but I think he could keep us in that 6-7 win range for a few years and keep us from losing all the momentum that we've gained. And I think his track record is long enough that we could be comfortable we could give him at least 4 or 5 years without him destroying the program, so we won't end up in a situation where we are paying two buyouts at once.

Maroonthirteen
01-02-2020, 11:27 AM

He wasn't at State when the recruiting ho was around...... so..... he and Cohen
Must have bad blood.

StateDawg44
01-02-2020, 11:31 AM
Someone tell me why Hud is off limits because of NCAA violations as a head man by an employee that was acting in a rogue manner over paying players. (Which is something that the NCAA is on the path to allowing completely.)

BUT

The same people that block that aren't clamoring to remove JoMo with his ACADEMIC violations (which will never be allowed by the NCAA)

Why is there a double standard towards Hud when we're giving a pass for Moorhead?

I totally agree with your point here, but I would assume that he has been able to dupe these fools (yet again) into thinking this system was already in action before he arrived and getting to pass the buck to Mullen.