PDA

View Full Version : Does OM really have a more rabid fan base than MSU?

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 08:50 AM
Bo Bounds was and some callers were making this point this morning. Basically saying that OM has more diehard fans and is better at creating their message and getting it out. Here are my thoughts:

1. YES, OM does a much better job than MSU at getting their message and identity out. However, I'm not sure if its by design or just because OM has more media members and a much larger journalism department. OM controls the media and MSU has no media. Seems like it may be more by circumstance than effort.

2. Pretty sure I remember Vaught Hemingway being very empty and pathetic on numerous occasions in the past 5 years. Yet, now that they have been glorified for buying a few recruits, no one remembers. Their media has erased it from the memories and history books of their fans.

3. Kyle Veazey called in and showed disappointment about our Thursday nigh atmosphere, yet never acknowledged that the game was on Thursday night, against a bad team, during MSU's fall break. Anyone comparing our atmosphere to other games or to other SEC teams during that game are dumb. Not one SEC team would have had a decent atmosphere under those circumstances. Come on Kyle, your smarter than this.

4. Bo then made the comment that he knows many OM fans that never miss a game and knows some wealthy MSU grads who hardly ever go. Yet somehow, MSU will have a bigger stadium than OM next season and have sold out numerous games in a row. While at the same time, OM's stadium has seen sparse attendance at some games over the past 4 years and they have no sell out streak.

5. In conclusion, it seems like the perception is that OM is now the "coolest school eva" because they bought a few recruits and have the countless media members backing them around every corner. It's a perception and not a reality, but it's MSU's fault that the perception exist, and MSU must take accountability and find a way to chance this trend .

OM's main advantage over MSU is their connection with the media that MSU doesn't have. The over reaction on Bo Bounds this morning is ridiculous and uneducated because it's reactionary and not looking at the big picture.

However, it's MSU fault that this perception exist and only MSU can fix it and build more pride in its' alumni.

CJDAWG85
10-31-2013, 08:53 AM
I think he's confusing diehard with delusion and arrogance.

Political Hack
10-31-2013, 08:56 AM
I think he's confusing diehard with delusion and arrogance.

you beat me to it.

FlabLoser
10-31-2013, 09:19 AM
We finished last year with a winning record, better record than Ole Miss, and a better bowl game than Ole Miss. Yet some people act like Ole Miss beat us 7 times last year.

We have a longer sellout streak than Ole Miss. I guarantee you we have higher actual attendance numbers over the last 5 years or so.

Ole Miss hype is at a fever pitch right now. I don't know how they're pushing opinions that they attend games better than us or that they have a better program than us.

I have never EVER seen Davis Wade Stadium look like this, not even in the Croom years ....the 2007 Ole Miss - Northwestern State game.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/rebhead/IMG00019.jpg

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Right now? Maybe...but it just seems that way because they are having a better football season than us + new coach. MSU's fanbase was more rabid in 2010 and 2011.

Ole Miss does have a better media department than us though. Seems like a relatively inexpensive thing to setup/improve so I don't know why ours is so shitty.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 09:25 AM
We finished last year with a winning record, better record than Ole Miss, and a better bowl game than Ole Miss. Yet some people act like Ole Miss beat us 7 times last year.

We have a longer sellout streak than Ole Miss. I guarantee you we have higher actual attendance numbers over the last 5 years or so.

Ole Miss hype is at a fever pitch right now. I don't know how they're pushing opinions that they attend games better than us or that they have a better program than us.

I have never EVER seen Davis Wade Stadium look like this, not even in the Croom years ....the 2007 Ole Miss - Northwestern State game.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/rebhead/IMG00019.jpg

I completely agree Flab. It is a perception and not a reality, but the problem is that OM has all the media under their finger and MSU allows this agenda to be pushed without ever fighting back.

I am sick of listing to Bo Bounds every morning and only hearing about how MSU sucks and OM is awesome, when that is just a perception and the facts tell a very different story.

TopDog58
10-31-2013, 09:27 AM
There's no excuse that's valid for a fanbase/administration that is boasting 25 straight sellouts for our stadium to be as pathetic as it was on Thursday. And you can't blame it solely on the students, there were empty rows in many sections.

I also noticed that hundreds upon hundreds of fans were filing out at halftime, many heading the opposite direction from the Junction so that excuse doesn't fly either. And again it wasn't just the students. I don't understand how people can't bother to stay for the entirety of a 3 hour ballgame anymore.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Right now? Maybe...but it just seems that way because they are having a better football season than us + new coach. MSU's fanbase was more rabid in 2010 and 2011.

Ole Miss does have a better media department than us though. Seems like a relatively inexpensive thing to setup/improve so I don't know why ours is so shitty.

OM does have a better media department, but the bigger problem is:

Archie Manning
Tim Brando
Richard Cross
Edward Aschoff
Godfrey
Wright Thompson
Every Mississippi magazine in production
CL owned traditionally by OM alums
Pete Roussel
Etc....

All of these people in the media have OM ties. Who does MSU have fighting for it in the media?

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Oxford is like catnip for old white people.

FlabLoser
10-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Archie Manning
Tim Brando
Richard Cross
Edward Aschoff
Godfrey
Wright Thompson
Etc....

All of these people in the media have OM ties. Who does MSU have fighting for it in the media?

And Pete Roussel, who I'd never heard of except on Bo Bounds show. I don't know how much pull Pete has. But he lives in Oxford.

I have to say Godfrey gives us a fair shake. He loves Ole Miss, but he loves his career more. He is by far my favorite Rebel and a great writer.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 09:41 AM
I could be wrong, but I think it was Bruce Feldmen on the BB show around 2 years ago and said that MSU had the most rabid fanbase in the SEC. He said he's never seen a school fight for and defend their school like we do. Hell, I think we do pretty damn good for what our history looks like. And even thought we lost our ass, the #WeBelieve thing was pretty damn impressive. The only time I've seen om that united was fighting the mascot change and publicly trying to fire their AD and Chancellor.

Maroonthirteen
10-31-2013, 09:43 AM
As a whole, I would agree with that. Damn, just look at twitter and all the BS that took place this past recruiting season.

Veazy is from West Tn and has been in Memphis now for a while. I can't speak on Jackson as I have never spent any significant time there (I don't know what influence his time there had on him). But OM has a huge ally in the Memphis media. Memphis media always spins OM in a positive light and has a huge effect on OMs perception across N. Mississippi. As most of N. MS and the Delta gets news out of Memphis. State does not have a Memphis. State did have Columbus media back in the day. It was pretty much we were the lead stories in the newspaper and TV, Bama next and OM rarely got a mention. NOw....I unfollowed Donahoe because he seems to Tweet more about OM than us. But that is off topic, the point is.......we don't have a Memphis. That is their advantage over us.

It has nothing to do what MSU fans are doing or aren't or pride.

The only thing that can change OM's Memphis media advantage is for the Volunteers and Tigers to get a lot better. Then OM will be the secondary story in Memphis. Hell, how we are shut out of Memphis now in recruiting and exposure and how OM is talked up.......State needs to be helping the Memphis Tigers to get that program up and going. So, they can keep OM out of Memphis and out of the Memphis media.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 09:43 AM

Exactly...one Derek Cody comes to mind. I don't know the whole story, but it seems like hiring him would be a no brainer.

CadaverDawg
10-31-2013, 09:44 AM
I am sick of listing to Bo Bounds every morning and only hearing about how MSU sucks and OM is awesome, when that is just a perception and the facts tell a very different story.

I've been saying it for some time now, Bo Bounds is a damn joke. He is a MSU grad that tries so hard to be unbiased towards State that he has become bias towards ole miss. And now I'm not so sure he isn't a full blown ole miss fan. I quit listening to his show a while back because all he does is trash State. Even when we had our best years, he would say stuff like "It won't continue but this is a great 3-4 game stretch for MSU".....but right now he is basically saying that ole miss is a recruiting class away from competing for a National Championship. Screw that guy, he's ********** and I hate that he is a MSU grad because he trashes us more than OM people.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Isn't Bo Bounds that guy with the Ya'll lifestyle stuff? I can't believe people listen to him.

And honestly the whole MO for these radio guys are to say stuff like this to get message board topics started/twitter topics trending so he becomes more popular. Is there any actual evidence behind his claims? How do you measure "fired up"?

CadaverDawg
10-31-2013, 09:48 AM
I could be wrong, but I think it was Bruce Feldmen on the BB show around 2 years ago and said that MSU had the most rabid fanbase in the SEC. He said he's never seen a school fight for and defend their school like we do. Hell, I think we do pretty damn good for what our history looks like. And even thought we lost our ass, the #WeBelieve thing was pretty damn impressive. The only time I've seen om that united was fighting the mascot change and publicly trying to fire their AD and Chancellor.

Hell yes, you're exactly right.

What some people don't realize is that the reason we are our own worst enemy as a fan base is because we are so rabid about our team, so a majority of our fans can't hold it back. Think about it, a fan base that sits in the grove while their team is playing in the stadium next to them, is going to be better at not spreading rumors and talking in public about things, because they are more worried about the party than the recruiting and shit. They just shut up and know that their boosters and money guys will handle it. Meanwhile, we have seen multiple times that our money guys and boosters aren't well organized, so our fans get worried and nervous because we don't have people we have confidence in running the game....combine that with a more rabid fan base and you get "our own worst enemy".

CadaverDawg
10-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Isn't Bo Bounds that guy with the Ya'll lifestyle stuff?

Yes. This douche....

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/286160198dbe3e2a88a60e7892172160d283a3cb.jpg

Coach34
10-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Calls to my former employer suggest that yes they are. Buddy had me crying we were laughing so hard about it. He put a verbal beatdown on those idiots

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Screw that guy, he's ********** and I hate that he is a MSU grad because he trashes us more than OM people.

I don't know his listener demographics but he may trash MSU more because he has more MSU listeners/gets more responses from MSU fans.

Maroonthirteen
10-31-2013, 09:54 AM
In those 25 straight sellouts, how many Thursday night games were there? Really, i don't recall one but there maybe. Anyway, Weekday night games are a killer for attendance. Especially for MSU fans as most drive from a considerable distance, have jobs and kids in school. Until you have a winning streak and/or real championship hopes, weekday games will be attended lesser than weekend games.

thedawg
10-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Its a cyclical. Right now they have a new coach... back to winning.. they are all excited. If you ask the same exact question after our coaches third year it would be consensus State has more rabid fans.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Yes. This douche....

http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/286160198dbe3e2a88a60e7892172160d283a3cb.jpg
His "lifestyle" is definitely more om than MSU. This pic screams "I'm a prick" and you know how easy it is to find those in oxford.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 10:03 AM
Its a cyclical. Right now they have a new coach... back to winning.. they are all excited. If you ask the same exact question after our coaches third year it would be consensus State has more rabid fans.
But the difference between us and them is that they are truly fair weather fans, I can't tell you how many of those ****ers said "I don't care about it that much" or "I like so and so's football team" when we were beginning our rise and beating their ass. We on the other hand let it get to us in certain ways, but in general we never waiver on our love for MSU.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Ole Miss fans seem to be pretty passionate about football. Last year was the first time I had ever seen Ole Miss care about basketball though.

thedawg
10-31-2013, 10:09 AM
Its also amazing how many of those ****ers dont care about baseball these days... Five years ago it was the most important sport in the history of man.

AugustaDawg
10-31-2013, 10:10 AM
"OM controls the media and MSU has no media."

"It's a perception and not a reality, but it's MSU's fault that the perception exist, and MSU must take accountability and find a way to chance this trend."

"OM's main advantage over MSU is their connection with the media that MSU doesn't have."

I couldn't agree more.

And when it comes to the media and even public perception of a fan base being delusional is not always a bad thing. Because the truth of the matter is we (MSU fans) are, for the most part, the only ones who see how delusional ole miss fans are. Hell, the rest of the country, including the national media, are buying into their bullshit.

Our media does the exact opposite. They always find a way to twist things into a negative and pump that shit out on the internet and everyone buys into it.

I understand that being delusional is not always a good thing either, there just has to be a strategy behind it. And Ole Miss is kicking our ass with it.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Ole Miss fans seem to be pretty passionate about football. Last year was the first time I had ever seen Ole Miss care about basketball though.
They are passionate that they think they should be among the SEC elites cause they self-proclaimed a national championship in football, but their passion is limited to only supporting winning teams. Your basketball reference is a perfect example of this...

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Its also amazing how many of those ****ers dont care about baseball these days... Five years ago it was the most important sport in the history of man.
hahahahahahhaha +1

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Honestly the Ole Miss fans I know have always been big football fans. Never cared about basketball and like baseball but now hate Bianco.

RState
10-31-2013, 10:26 AM
Is our media dept really that much worse than theres? I focus more on States athletics and don't know as much about the school side. But seriously with what todays "journalism" has come to it doesn't seem like it would be to hard to catch up.

I agree that bounds is a back-stabbing traitor who is in bed with the black bear... Literally. I'd like to catch him at the junction and challenge home to a gentlemans dual- weapon of choice... Cowbells.

Bothrops
10-31-2013, 10:30 AM
I know lots of OM snobs, some are acquaintances, and for the most part, they are as fickle about football as they are everything else in their pathetic lives. Are they more hardcore? The answer is, **** NO. They do however, feel more entitled than MSU fans, because they feel as though they are inherently better, and more important. Most of them are counterfeit to the core. This is why they're so ******* easy to hate! But, to their credit, they know how to drive, sell, and sponsor the OM propaganda machine...and it's at full steam right about now.

Political Hack
10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Bo does what he needs to do to have a radio show in Jackson and tried to stay impartial during that time. From a business perspective you have to respect that, or at least comprehend it. I think at times he likely goes overboard protecting or building up OM because he doesn't want to let his true colors shine through... which are undoubtably maroon.

FlabLoser
10-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Is our media dept really that much worse than theres?

Go on youtube and search for "Ole Miss The Season". "The Season" is their weekly football show. It is ESPN 30-for-30 quality stuff.

Our show is still an Emory Bellard era coach & radio guy sit-down in front of a camera.

What Ole Miss is doing is exceptionally higher quality, easier to produce, and requires none of the head ball coach's time.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Is our media dept really that much worse than theres? I focus more on States athletics and don't know as much about the school side. But seriously with what todays "journalism" has come to it doesn't seem like it would be to hard to catch up.

I agree that bounds is a back-stabbing traitor who is in bed with the black bear... Literally. I'd like to catch him at the junction and challenge home to a gentlemans dual- weapon of choice... Cowbells.

Ole Miss has a very good media department as in releasing high quality videos and such. Wouldn't be very hard for us to hire someone to do that as well, but for some reason we don't. Not sure why.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 10:40 AM
It's also interesting that since H2H's move to Supertalk, there seems to be more of an om vibe...

SnakePlissken
10-31-2013, 10:53 AM
State fans truly love to talk about how much we suck. It doesn't matter if it's late Polk and early years of Cohen, it doesn't matter if it's late Stansbury and early Ray, and it doesn't matter if it's Croom or even Mullen today. We love to talk about how shitty the recruiting is, how shitty the coaching is, how shitty the students are, how shitty the atmosphere is, etc. All of that may be 100% factual but instead of keeping it in the dark a little, or not making it a focal point by our interweb sites, we want those complaints to be heard and read by anyone and everyone.

ETA: Just look at the Quay issue from yesterday. Our own sites are running with it and even changing it to be an outright lie about it being a boot on the car. I swear, State fans and media can't get enough of the negativity to put out.

AugustaDawg
10-31-2013, 11:00 AM
State fans truly love to talk about how much we suck. It doesn't matter if it's late Polk and early years of Cohen, it doesn't matter if it's late Stansbury and early Ray, and it doesn't matter if it's Croom or even Mullen today. We love to talk about how shitty the recruiting is, how shitty the coaching is, how shitty the students are, how shitty the atmosphere is, etc. All of that may be 100% factual but instead of keeping it in the dark a little, or not making it a focal point by our interweb sites, we want those complaints to be heard and read by anyone and everyone.

+1

Coach34
10-31-2013, 11:45 AM

ETA: Just look at the Quay issue from yesterday. Our own sites are running with it and even changing it to be an outright lie about it being a boot on the car. I swear, State fans and media can't get enough of the negativity to put out.

Snake nails it like a master carpenter. All you ever hear from OM fans is how awesome everything OM and Oxford is. State fans work the complete opposite and then wonder why other people talk down about Sville and the school. Or they wonder why we cant recruit as well.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Their media department is only a part of it, but their journalism school is even a bigger part. Simply, they produce the writers and media member of this state and surrounding areas.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 11:48 AM
It's also interesting that since H2H's move to Supertalk, there seems to be more of an om vibe...

This is true.

A fun drinking game to play is, listen to Head to Head and drink every time Richard begins a sentence with "Ole Miss". You'll be hammered in the first 30 minutes of the show.

Its just brutal. All Richard wants to do is talk about OM, and Matt doesn't have a strong enough personality to stop it. Matt is maroon through and through and does a good job, but he doesn't have strong personality and allows Richard to dominate the show and conversation topics. Thus 75% OM talk and 25% MSU

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Nailed it. I've never understood when MSU fans are so negative about their teams when, across all sports, they have generally been far more successful than OM's

M.Fillmore
10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Its just brutal. All Richard wants to do is talk about OM, and Matt doesn't have a strong enough personality to stop it. Matt is maroon through and through and does a good job, but he doesn't have strong personality and allows Richard to dominate the show and conversation topics. Thus 75% OM talk and 25% MSU

I haven't listened to H2H for a year or more for exactly this reason. When that show dies it will be good day.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 11:56 AM
I've been saying it for some time now, Bo Bounds is a damn joke. He is a MSU grad that tries so hard to be unbiased towards State that he has become bias towards ole miss. And now I'm not so sure he isn't a full blown ole miss fan. I quit listening to his show a while back because all he does is trash State. Even when we had our best years, he would say stuff like "It won't continue but this is a great 3-4 game stretch for MSU".....but right now he is basically saying that ole miss is a recruiting class away from competing for a National Championship. Screw that guy, he's ********** and I hate that he is a MSU grad because he trashes us more than OM people.

Bo is only a part of the problem, but not the biggest part. Bo's guest are all OM lovers or national media that doesn't pay attention enough to realize the truth and instead just buys into the perception that the media has sold them. Then generally Bo gets out of the way and lets them talk about how bad MSU is.

Seriously, I wish Bo would look at his circumstance as a way to build up the pride in the state of MS instead of having guest on that always tear it down. Like the Mike Huenigin guys the other day, he said every MSU or OM coach that has any success should immediately leave. Not saying that he is completely wrong, but what about a 12 year old listening to that in Jackson or Meridian. All they ever hear is that Mississippi sucks and you should get out ASAP. Guests like that do nothing but destroy the pride and love that young people have for their home, their schools, and where they live.

I get it, Bo has a business to run, but he should consider that, due to the influence MS people have blessed him with, he should try to build the state up a little more than he tears it down.

maroonmania
10-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Snake nails it like a master carpenter. All you ever hear from OM fans is how awesome everything OM and Oxford is. State fans work the complete opposite and then wonder why other people talk down about Sville and the school. Or they wonder why we cant recruit as well.

Well yea because if you are positive about State you're all "Gene's page". Its cool to be negative about SOMETHING on MSU sites I guess. I will say though a lot of it comes from our fans just being more realistic about our situation that OM fans, good or bad. As far as our sports program we pretty much call it like it is and right now, let's face it, its hard to be positive when you are struggling, though still winning, against non-BCS coference teams and the lower echelon SEC teams like KY while unable to really beat or often even stay on the field with any SEC team that isn't having a really BAD year. By the same token, in 2010 you couldn't find an MSU fan that had anything negative to say about our football program. Problem is that when we know things aren't going well, like right now in both games and recruiting (relative to what other SEC schools are doing), we have a LOT of trouble holding back on our opinions about it.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Well yea because if you are positive about State you're all "Gene's page". Its cool to be negative about SOMETHING on MSU sites I guess. I will say though a lot of it comes from our fans just being more realistic about our situation that OM fans, good or bad. As far as our sports program we pretty much call it like it is and right now, let's face it, its hard to be positive when you are struggling, though still winning, against non-BCS coference teams and the lower echelon SEC teams like KY while unable to really beat or often even stay on the field with any SEC team that isn't having a really BAD year. By the same token, in 2010 you couldn't find an MSU fan that had anything negative to say about our football program. Problem is that when we know things aren't going well, like right now in both games and recruiting (relative to what other SEC schools are doing), we have a LOT of trouble holding back on our opinions about it.

Your touching on something I have always thought was a huge difference between OM and State.

One of the MSU fan bases major strengths is that we are humble and are usually realistic about who we are, where we are going , and what we have to do to get there. However, our major weakness is that, in being realistic, we influence those around us to also become negative, and after a while you end up with a completely negative fan base that loses momentum, in part, because of themselves. MSU makes things always seem worse than they really are.

However, OM is just the opposite. For them, they are so delusional that they often don't see their weakness and are not realistic about who they are and where they are going. But, because everything in Oxford is skittles and rainbows, and because they are willing to cheat at a moments notice, they control the perception and things never seem as bad as they really are.

I also agree that if you say anything positive on these boards you are considered a "Genespage". Thats just dumb. I wouldn't be posting here if I was Genespage. Our fan base needs to come together and be balanced between reality and staying positive. Your posts should be judged on your knowledge and reasons for feeling the way you feel, not on whether they are positive or negative.

msugolf
10-31-2013, 12:24 PM

Exactly right. Our fan base and administration have always had a hard time moving forward because of this reason. We are the negative, stubborn, crotchety old lady that lives down the street. At some point we have to be proactive instead of reactive. Everything doesn't have to be a fight all the time with things that don't fit into our belief system, but State fans will get their feathers rustled so easy. Hell, even in this thread you have people ready to crucify one of our own in the media while simultaneously complaining about the fact we don't have anyone in the media. Classic. So you don't like what he says .... get over it! Embrace whatever criticism is out there and challenge to change the message being put out.

People talk about Ole Miss being delusional all the time, and they probably are in a lot of instances. But that's a lot of the reason why they tend to get more hype and pub. They have the entrepreneurial mindset. They want to start the crazy business that everyone tells them they're nuts for starting. We are the worker bees that like to keep our head down, do hard work and expect people to pat us on the back. There's a reason for the saying "perception is reality" and Ole Miss seems to understand this a lot better than we do. No one said it better than our good friend George Costanza, "Remember Jerry, its not a lie if you believe it."

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 12:28 PM

Archie Manning
Tim Brando
Richard Cross
Edward Aschoff
Godfrey
Wright Thompson
Etc....

I feel honored that this post just got tweeted by an OM fan and then retweeted by Richard Cross.

To the OM fan that tweeted this: Your a dumbass. This isn't a ranking. Richard isn't 3rd, they are all an equal part of the problem. I also understand that Richard is an OM fan, and doesn't have to like MSU, work on their behalf, or do anything that helps MSU out, BUT we don't have to listen to his radio either. See how long that show last just talking about OM.

biscuit
10-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Go on youtube and search for "Ole Miss The Season". "The Season" is their weekly football show. It is ESPN 30-for-30 quality stuff.

Our show is still an Emory Bellard era coach & radio guy sit-down in front of a camera.

What Ole Miss is doing is exceptionally higher quality, easier to produce, and requires none of the head ball coach's time.

They do an excellent job with this.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 12:31 PM
This is true.

A fun drinking game to play is, listen to Head to Head and drink every time Richard begins a sentence with "Ole Miss". You'll be hammered in the first 30 minutes of the show.

Mr. OM tweeter of Elite Dawg posts, can you please tweet Richard my new drinking game? There a great chance this actually makes the show interesting.

Op4isabitch
10-31-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes. This douche....

That's Bo Bounds???

That is funny as shit, he looks like a prototypical O.M douchbag! Hey Bo, go **** yourself!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Mr. OM tweeter of Elite Dawg posts, can you please tweet Richard my new drinking game? There a great chance this actually makes the show interesting.
Did little Dick RT it from his personal account or the H2H twitter?

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Did little Dick RT it from his personal account or the H2H twitter?

Yes

Barking 13
10-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Exactly...one Derek Cody comes to mind. I don't know the whole story, but it seems like hiring him would be a no brainer.
x1000

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Yes
I don't do twitter or facebook, but i looked up who had the J83Miller account that originally tweeted the screenshot and his name is Jonathan Miller. I know that this is the twitter that was used:
https://twitter.com/J83Miller
I searched Jonathan Miller on facebook and this was the first result. It lists oxford and ole miss on his profile, so it's a good bet this is him.
https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.miller.90813

bully99
10-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Over the past few years there's been a confluence of events that have brought national attention to the blackbears. Mostly positive.

1. The neverending hype from media such as Tim Brando, Rick Cleveland, Shepherd Smith, Wright Thompson about Ole Miss, the grove and Oxford.

The Mannings. Archie has become the so-called elder statesman of football and Eli winning two Superbowls. The media love them some Manning's.

The Blind Side. The book and the movie. To us state folk it was NCAA violation, but to millions of Americans it was a heartwarming story. Millions of dollars in free publicity.

Recruiting. Another media story about how great their recruiting was.

Presedential debate in 2008. Worldwide media coverage of OM and Oxford. Mostly positive.

The two 30 for 30 type ESPN stories . Lots of national attention.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 01:53 PM
Over the past few years there's been a confluence of events that have brought national attention to the blackbears. Mostly positive.

1. The neverending hype from media such as Tim Brando, Rick Cleveland, Shepherd Smith, Wright Thompson about Ole Miss, the grove and Oxford.

The Mannings. Archie has become the so-called elder statesman of football and Eli winning two Superbowls. The media love them some Manning's.

The Blind Side. The book and the movie. To us state folk it was NCAA violation, but to millions of Americans it was a heartwarming story. Millions of dollars in free publicity.

Presedential debate in 2008. Worldwide media coverage of OM and Oxford. Mostly positive.

This is without a doubt correct, but we know this. Now the question is, how do we effectively combat this rather than just complaining about it?

That is the question that the MSU family and administration must ask and figure out.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't do twitter or facebook, but i looked up who had the J83Miller account that originally tweeted the screenshot and his name is Jonathan Miller. I know that this is the twitter that was used:
https://twitter.com/J83Miller
I searched Jonathan Miller on facebook and this was the first result. It lists oxford and ole miss on his profile, so it's a good bet this is him.
https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.miller.90813

Looks like black bear Jonathan Miller reads EliteDawgs. How insecure do you have to be?

I'm sure Coach 34 appreciates your contributions!

bully99
10-31-2013, 01:55 PM
x1000
Please no Derek Cody.I quit following him on twitter because he became nothing but a radical left-wing political kook. Why don't we just hire Keith olbermann. Just say no.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Please no Derek Cody.I quit following him on twitter because he became nothing but a radical left-wing political kook. Why don't we just hire Keith olbermann. Just say no.

I don't know Derek Cody, but what does his political views have to do with his ability to love MSU and do a great job at producing videos and media? The truth is that many artistically gifted people are left wing politically.

No offense Bully, but MSU need to open their eyes. I care about how well he could do the job and his ability to create hype around MSU football. His political views are the least of my concern.

Furthermore, I would love MSU to hire Keith Olbermann. Our ability to get our message out would then be un-paralled.

Coach34
10-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Looks like black bear Jonathan Miller reads EliteDawgs. How insecure do you have to be?

I'm sure Coach 34 appreciates your contributions!

FormerlyHighLifeRebel is on his 3rd name now with Not_MSUCompliance. That is some dedicated trolling

bully99
10-31-2013, 02:14 PM
I don't care about his politics either but don't make people believe you're talking about sports and tinge it with your political agenda. Believe me there are plenty of those people out there like that.

Bothrops
10-31-2013, 02:22 PM

This^ sums it up pretty well. Americans from coast to coast are now learning what the Ole Miss name is. A lot of these people probably don't follow college athletics. It's the name "Ole Miss" and the storylines that the media has sensationalized that have people placing the name with an identity. It's the only thing that the media portrays out of Mississippi in a positive light. It pisses me off

cheewgumm
10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
This must be a joke. I come on this mstg board and am told by 3/4 of the people here that I should not expect to win more than 6 games and if I do, then i am unrealisitic. Also, that if that is my expectation, then I'm going to be disappointed.

NOW...you want me to be "rabid"?!?!

If our own fans expect 6 wins and are happy, WTF am I supposed to be rabid about? Beating Alcorn?

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
This^ sums it up pretty well. Americans from coast to coast are now learning what the Ole Miss name is. A lot of these people probably don't follow college athletics. It's the name "Ole Miss" and the storylines that the media has sensationalized that have people placing the name with an identity. It's the only thing that the media portrays out of Mississippi in a positive light. It pisses me off

Yup, how do we combat it?

cheewgumm
10-31-2013, 02:31 PM
This describes most of the people on this board...talking about how we shouldn't expect to win more than about 6 games agasint crappy teams. Whats the difference>?

PassInterference
10-31-2013, 02:34 PM

Pump the brakes. There is some kind of race or diversity incident at Ole Miss every year or every 2-3 years. Most recently it was the gay slur thing which Ole Miss took a beating from in national media. Before that, it was the Obama election riot.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Pump the brakes. There is some kind of race or diversity incident at Ole Miss every year or every 2-3 years. Most recently it was the gay slur thing which Ole Miss took a beating from in national media. Before that, it was the Obama election riot.

True, but they are like Teflon with this type of stuff. Somehow it rolls right off their back and ends up hurting our state more than OM. Plainly, in the 24/7 news cycle in which we currently exist, as long as the school itself doesn't overreact, the news people move on to the next story.

RState
10-31-2013, 03:00 PM
True, but they are like Teflon with this type of stuff. Somehow it rolls right off their back and ends up hurting our state more than OM. Plainly, in the 24/7 news cycle in which we currently exist, as long as the school itself doesn't overreact, the news people move on to the next story.

I agree Shotgun, just like Teflon. Its tough for me to wrap my mind around the media machine.

Coach34
10-31-2013, 03:07 PM
This describes most of the people on this board...talking about how we shouldn't expect to win more than about 6 games agasint crappy teams. Whats the difference>?

Being realistic about your program is one thing- looking for ways to discredit wins and shit on accomplishments is another totally.

notsofarawaydawg
10-31-2013, 03:14 PM
You want to piss off an Ole Miss fan or Alabama fan? When they say, "oh, you are a State fan," I answer, no I'm a Mississippi State graduate. That's why I follow MSU. Pisses the hell out of them in this area of the state.

1998Dawg
10-31-2013, 03:17 PM
I know what you mean. I am same way. Even though, I went to emcc back in the day, I at least lived In Starkvegas.

Also, I know for a FACT the bears pay the media. This is common knowledge but I got stuff that could probably bring them down Smu style.

M.Fillmore
10-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Every time PBS runs "Eyes on the Prize" we should encourage the schools to push the kids to watch it. "Eyes on the Prize" make Ole Miss look like the epicenter for the Klan.