PDA

View Full Version : IF we decide to make a move - who is your money on as new coach.

Irondawg
01-01-2020, 07:47 PM
Then you better have something happen pretty quickly with a new staff for recruiting, etc.

So who do you call. With 5 minutes of thought here's some of my list:

1) Satterfield - make him tell you no

2) PJ Fleck - same thing

I don't think we can realistically pull those guys so on to Plan B in no real order

3) Napier

4) Hud

5) Clawson

6) Chris Peterson - see what's up and also ask him about:

7) Kellen Moore

8) Steve Sarkisan

9) Joe Judge

10) Brent Venables

11) Dava Aranda

12) Chip Long

13) Grantham

14) B. Harsin

Who else?

vv83
01-01-2020, 07:51 PM
I feel Napier is the guy but we’d be stupid to not at least call Joe Judge, assuming the Giants pass on him. Agree on making PJ say no and throw the entire damn bank at him, but it’ll never happen

DownwardDawg
01-01-2020, 07:53 PM
My money is on
1) Napier
2) Hud

Those aren’t necessarily my favorites but after this season, I would be extremely excited about either!!!

Jarius
01-01-2020, 07:57 PM
Before the EB I wanted Napier. I don't know why but at this point I think I would prefer HUD. He is Hugh Freeze without the religion and I think he would recruit at a level that would make us more competitive.

Lloyd Christmas
01-01-2020, 08:02 PM
Then you better have something happen pretty quickly with a new staff for recruiting, etc.

So who do you call. With 5 minutes of thought here's some of my list:

1) Satterfield - make him tell you no

2) PJ Fleck - same thing

I don't think we can realistically pull those guys so on to Plan B in no real order

3) Napier

4) Hud

5) Clawson

6) Chris Peterson - see what's up and also ask him about:

7) Kellen Moore

8) Steve Sarkisan

9) Joe Judge

10) Brent Venables

11) Dava Aranda

12) Chip Long

13) Grantham

14) B. Harsin

Who else?

I barely care who it is since there's virtually no way we can do any worse than what we have right now.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
01-01-2020, 08:06 PM
Before the EB I wanted Napier. I don't know why but at this point I think I would prefer HUD. He is Hugh Freeze without the religion and I think he would recruit at a level that would make us more competitive.

^^This is how I feel^^

ejdallas322
01-01-2020, 08:12 PM
I think Hudspeth would bring back former players that are currently coaching to our staff which might be best for us. Getting guys like Chaney and Bumphis on your staff that know what it’s like and have a deep love for the school would really help in the long run especially recruiting wise.

ejdallas322
01-01-2020, 08:13 PM
Then again Napier would probably bring in a lot of SEC caliber assistants which is also a big benefit.

deadheaddawg
01-01-2020, 08:26 PM
Someone less risky than Joe Brady please.

Hud and naiper would give me hope for the future and both seem like they would be likely options

CoachT14
01-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Why are our fans so fascinated with making former players coaches? Especially when they aren't qualified. We got folks saying Anthony Dixon should be the RB coach. Johnathan Banks should be the DB coach. I mean come on folks, you guys can't be that stupid. Bumphis is the only former player who is partially qualified for a job here.

MarketingBully
01-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Billy Napier and his first hire is bringing Aaron Feld home as the S&C coach and get back to what MSU football is all about. Toughness.

R2Dawg
01-01-2020, 08:37 PM
To be honest, it doesn't even matter now. Just as long as it isn't Joe.

DogsofAnarchy
01-01-2020, 08:38 PM
Anything is better than what we have.

Rex54
01-01-2020, 08:53 PM
My money is on
1) Napier
2) Hud

Those aren’t necessarily my favorites but after this season, I would be extremely excited about either!!!

That's it. That's the list!

msudawg1200
01-01-2020, 09:03 PM
Yeah, Napier or Hud. I had always been against Hud, but what the heck. He’s from here, loves State, and probably can control MS recruiting. Either of the two would be fine.

KB21
01-01-2020, 09:10 PM
I’d say either Napier or Hud. And it also would not surprise me to see KT stay and end up becoming the guy at QB under either.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2020, 09:14 PM
I would offer Jeff Brohm 5.5 million and make him say no. Then I would go to Clawson. If he says no, go ahead and lock down Napier.

I would also definitely interview Brady to get an impression.

viverlibre
01-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Hud would probably be no-nonsense and install toughness and discipline too? In addition to the ones mentioned, I'd also consider Rich Rod.

WinningIsRelentless
01-01-2020, 09:18 PM
1) Napier
2) Grantham with Johnson as oc

parabrave
01-01-2020, 09:45 PM
Yeah, Napier or Hud. I had always been against Hud, but what the heck. He’s from here, loves State, and probably can control MS recruiting. Either of the two would be fine.

Rocky Felker did also.

Irondawg
01-01-2020, 11:33 PM
I'll add Whittingham to my list even though coach said that ship had sailed.

maroonmania
01-01-2020, 11:46 PM
Why are our fans so fascinated with making former players coaches? Especially when they aren't qualified. We got folks saying Anthony Dixon should be the RB coach. Johnathan Banks should be the DB coach. I mean come on folks, you guys can't be that stupid. Bumphis is the only former player who is partially qualified for a job here.

Agree, just because you are a former MSU player doesn't make you qualified to be an SEC on field assistant coach. They still need to work their way up the food chain like everyone else to be an asset to your staff.

And we aren't getting a successful, sitting P5 HC. Just ain't happening. I would be fine with Napier or Hud. I want a guy with HC experience at the FBS level. Not interested in a coordinator myself. I feel unless you've seen a guy run a program you really have no clue what you got.

ejdallas322
01-01-2020, 11:57 PM

Jamar Chaney is also qualified. I didn?t say let?s go ahead and give every former player a job I only suggested those two to improve recruiting.

KOdawg1
01-02-2020, 12:00 AM
Napier

CoachT14
01-02-2020, 12:01 AM
Jamar Chaney is also qualified. I didn?t say let?s go ahead and give every former player a job I only suggested those two to improve recruiting.

He's never even been an on-field assistant at any level of college and he is somehow qualified? His name wouldn't even be mentioned for our job if it wasn't for the fact that he played here. Look I like Jamar, he is one of my favorite players to ever play for us, but he is sorely under-qualified for this job.

HailStateSZN19
01-02-2020, 12:06 AM
Don't make this any tougher than it needs to be, don't try to outsmart yourself this time, go get Napier so that we're not pissed off when he's hired next offseason by someone other than us and becomes extremely successful. He's got HC experience, SEC experience, experience under Dabo, recruits extremely well, knows the South very well, has taken over the mess Hud left at ULL and has been highly successful, runs the exact type of offense we can recruit well to, he runs ULL like a mini-Bama, has enough connections throughout his years to put together a damn good staff, he's younger and energetic, and he fits the culture of MSU (or at least will re-establish the culture we used to have). Don't get cute with this hire, unless there's some successful P5 coach that would be in the realm of possibility if we threw enough money at to come, then go get Napier and I'll be very damn excited about it.

BuckyIsAB****
01-02-2020, 12:08 AM
Venables aint leaving Clemson but he would be a grand slam.

maroonmania
01-02-2020, 12:16 AM
Venables aint leaving Clemson but he would be a grand slam.

I don't see how you can say anyone would be a HR hire that has never run his own program before as HC.

HailStateSZN19
Just an initial list off the top of my head would be:

Napier, Grantham, Clawson, Hud, Fritz, Joe Judge, and my out of left field guy would be like a Bronco Mendenhall. He was very successful at BYU and has turned UVA into a solid team after going 2-10 his first season. Went 2-10 then 6-7 then 8-5 last year and 9-5 this year. Idk a whole lot about him background-wise though.

I think if he'd be up for it, and I know a lot of people won't like it, but just interview Joe Brady just to see how well he interviews and what he says. It'd be the riskiest move you could make right now. He'd probably be able to attract some recruits with what he's done though, but we need a proven guy that can run an organized program from top to bottom.

ckDOG
Don't make this any tougher than it needs to be, don't try to outsmart yourself this time, go get Napier so that we're not pissed off when he's hired next offseason by someone other than us and becomes extremely successful. He's got HC experience, SEC experience, experience under Dabo, recruits extremely well, knows the South very well, has taken over the mess Hud left at ULL and has been highly successful, runs the exact type of offense we can recruit well to, he runs ULL like a mini-Bama, has enough connections throughout his years to put together a damn good staff, he's younger and energetic, and he fits the culture of MSU (or at least will re-establish the culture we used to have). Don't get cute with this hire, unless there's some successful P5 coach that would be in the realm of possibility if we threw enough money at to come, then go get Napier and I'll be very damn excited about it.

^this^

TrapGame
01-02-2020, 12:22 AM
I'd ask Satterfield how much it would take make him relocate to Starkville. We may have a shot, although slim, to get him.

Other than that I'm good with Napier. We could do a lot worse than him. I'm also good with Hud but the only thing I'm sure of with him is S&C would be top tier and discipline would be far better than it is now.

Irondawg
01-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Another thing to mention is that despite the odd timing we are actually in a bit of a decent position and realistically not a lot of other SEC jobs are going to come open anytime soon. South Carolina probably opens up next year and then Vandy but unless Mullen tries to bolt to the NFL or we get a surprise retirement, most everyone is locked in for the next couple of years. Currently we're not competing with any other SEC schools for the job and we know a ton of coaches want to get into the conference - both from a HC and OC/DC role.

In a weird way we'd have both leverage and time (b/c we're not racing other schools to find a coach) on our side. Only the Feb recruiting date would be pushing us.

JoseBrown
01-02-2020, 10:45 AM
I like Napier's bonafides, and have always liked what Hud does especially if he's the only one that got Jo to change His offense and beat AU with it like I've seen rumored. Obviously, I'd like to see Cohen offer Fleck and maybe even send a feeler to Satterfield and others.

From what all I've read and seen we might could get Napier who still has a bowl game to coach. I like the fact that he coached under Saban and Dabo. I like the fact he's been successful as a head coach with offense and defense ranked pretty high. And the fact that he has a history of recruiting in our footprint is a bonus. I will be excited and support anyone without a pillow-face next year. If we keep Jo I'm checked out regardless of changes to staff!!