PDA

View Full Version : P J Fleck just looks like a HC

coastratdog
01-01-2020, 03:42 PM
That I would run thru a brick wall for. That's the kind of coach we missed out on.

Rex54
01-01-2020, 03:44 PM
He looks like Rob Corddry

HoopsDawg
01-01-2020, 03:45 PM
That I would run thru a brick wall for. That's the kind of coach we missed out on.

Satterfield was the big miss- Culture creator with an outstanding system. We also missed on Norvell, he was a name that I brought up constantly before we hired Moorhead. I could also make a good case for Neal Brown and Bill Clark too.

Irondawg
01-01-2020, 03:47 PM
Satterfield and Fleck look like the big misses right now. Jury out on Norvell still.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2020, 03:50 PM
Satterfield and Fleck look like the big misses right now. Jury out on Norvell still.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Norvell would have been a better hire than Moorhead.

coastratdog
01-01-2020, 03:51 PM
JoMo looks like a high school English teacher that can't decide whether he wants facial hair or not. Coaching a game unshaven just looks sloppy. What should we expect the play on the field to be.

Irondawg
01-01-2020, 03:58 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Norvell would have been a better hire than Moorhead.

Well compared to Joe, sure

Irondawg
01-01-2020, 04:13 PM
I just continue to wonder if there were warning signs we missed with Joe. He used to talk well, had been successful as a HC at lower level and tons of former players vouched for him. Hindsight 20-20 but I’m not sure what was missed.

In paper Satterfield and Fleck probably weren’t better but both now look like MUCH better coaches

DogsofAnarchy
01-01-2020, 04:17 PM
Mike Norvell couldn’t pass our “VETTING” process. We didn’t have the balls to contact a P.J. Fleck. Wanna go back further....we could have had Urban Meyer in 2003. Instead we went with Croom. The rest is history. I know for 100% sure Norvell would have taken our job a couple of years ago. And the administration during JWS last days were notified of Urban Meyer by some heavy hitters and didn’t even sniff at him.

HoopsDawg
01-01-2020, 04:21 PM
I just continue to wonder if there were warning signs we missed with Joe. He used to talk well, had been successful as a HC at lower level and tons of former players vouched for him. Hindsight 20-20 but I’m not sure what was missed.

In paper Satterfield and Fleck probably weren’t better but both now look like MUCH better coaches

One hole was no SEC experience. Another hole was not realizing just how talented those Penn State teams were: Barkley, Godwin, Geisicki, Miles Sanders, McSorley, DaeSean Hamilton, oh my. It would be like thinking Shoop would be a great head coach b/c of our 2018 Defense.

Another hole, was not a lot of time as an assistant at big time programs. He was at Georgetown, Akron, Connecticut. So maybe not the best of connections when putting together a great staff. I've said for 2 years, he was our version of Charlie Weiss. Thought he had a "schematic advantage". We have all learned a painful lesson hopefully about that.

OLJWales
01-01-2020, 04:22 PM
Please don't tell me we went with Croom when Meyer wanted our job. I just got thru eating.

msugolf
01-01-2020, 04:23 PM
He's a good coach but it helps when you're going against malzahn. He's the most overrated coach out there with his Mickey Mouse high school offense.

You've got to be a real bum of a HC to get run over by a Malzahn led team -- especially this one.

NCDawg
01-01-2020, 04:23 PM
All the good coaches out there, and we pick Moorhead. Goes without saying, our AD screwed up royally.

basedog
01-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Fleck was impressive, bout to be paid and well deserved!

DogsofAnarchy
Please don't tell me we went with Croom when Meyer wanted our job. I just got thru eating.

Urban took the Utah job. We could have paid more and he would have had an SEC job following Jackie Sherrill. Are you kidding me.

HoopsDawg
All the good coaches out there, and we pick Moorhead. Goes without saying, our AD screwed up royally.

What's scary is we may have picked Moorhead over Chad Scott and Pruitt. Maybe Pruitt will be ok, but not exactly a great final 3.

dawgday166
01-01-2020, 04:27 PM
One hole was no SEC experience. Another hole was not realizing just how talented those Penn State teams were: Barkley, Godwin, Geisicki, Miles Sanders, McSorley, DaeSean Hamilton, oh my. It would be like thinking Shoop would be a great head coach b/c of our 2018 Defense.

Another hole, was not a lot of time as an assistant at big time programs. He was at Georgetown, Akron, Connecticut. So maybe not the best of connections when putting together a great staff. I've said for 2 years, he was our version of Charlie Weiss. Thought he had a "schematic advantage". We have all learned a painful lesson hopefully about that.

Maybe you're right but Shoop went into TTown with a depleted secondary against the best passing attack in CFB and held Tua to 167 yd passing and a 34.1 QBR. Not sure if Shoop is HC material or not, but he also had good stints at both Vandy (of all places) and PSU as a DC.

With all the NFL talent at PSU, Joe had several sub par performance most notably OSU 2 years in a row with under 300 yds offense.

ETA: I'm leaning toward the main problem with the D this year was S&C plus youth and tutor gate somewhat. I could be wrong on Shoop but I think he was an outstanding game planner and play caller last year. And I don't think Grantham would've taken us to #1 in D last year either. Top 10 or maybe top 5, but I think Tua does better against a Grantham D than he did against a Shoop D.