PDA

View Full Version : How do.....

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2019, 11:49 PM
Baylor and Louisville bat 1.000 on coaching hires but we are at best 50%?

That's what I want to know.

What is so flawed about our interview process and intuition about who is a good coach and who is not?

The amount of bad, mis handled hirings we are having across all sports is very concerning.

Feels like we're just rolling a dice when other schools actually know what their looking for.

Very frustrating

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2019, 11:51 PM
The pitching isn't as stout in the ACC and the Big 12 as it is in the SEC WEST.

Liverpooldawg
12-31-2019, 11:55 PM

Also, my wife is a Baylor Grad, Go Bears, Sic 'Em ......it doesn't mean as much. Louisville doesn't care about football. It's not an absolute measurement, it's all relative.

ShotgunDawg
12-31-2019, 11:58 PM

Tell the NFL that Art Briles and Matt Rhule arent good

Also, tell whoever Baylor's basketball coach is that takes them to the dance every year.

Louisville? McDonald, Petrino, Strong, Pitino, Satterfield, women's basketball coachetc. ridiculous amount of hits.

These schools are significantly better at hiring coaches. Significantly.

maroonmania
01-01-2020, 12:08 AM

Also, tell whoever Baylor's basketball coach is that takes them to the dance every year.

Louisville? McDonald, Petrino, Strong, Pitino, Satterfield, women's basketball coachetc. ridiculous amount of hits.

Well, as far as football, Rhule and Satterfield were both highly successful running D1 programs at the G5 level. We seem to always be stuck hiring assistants which is a total crapshoot since you have nothing to look at as far as how they would run an FBS program. We rolled a seven with Mullen but seemingly rolled snake eyes with Moorhead.

Liverpooldawg
01-01-2020, 12:13 AM

Just saying the pitching is better. That is undeniable. it's much easier to hit less stout pitching. Also, y'all are starting to appreciate my evaluation of Dan Mullen's hitting...unwillingly for sure.

Todd4State
01-01-2020, 12:17 AM
Because we hire AD's that look up to LT and they limit their hiring practices because "we are MSU".

Like "we can only get sitting OC/DC for football".

It's just stupid.

Liverpooldawg
01-01-2020, 12:29 AM
Because we hire AD's that look up to LT and they limit their hiring practices because "we are MSU".

Like "we can only get sitting OC/DC for football".

It's just stupid.

I personally loathed LT...….that being said he kept us afloat at a time when we could have very well packed it in as an SEC athletic program. Most of you have little idea of how close we really were to doing just that.

Todd4State
01-01-2020, 12:33 AM
I personally loathed LT...….that being said he kept us afloat at a time when we could have very well packed it in as an SEC athletic program. Most of you have little idea of how close we really were to doing just that.

He also tried to destroy our baseball program including the LFL and take cowbells away. I will NEVER give him a pass for what he did to our baseball program in the early 2000's.

Liverpooldawg
01-01-2020, 12:39 AM
He also tried to destroy our baseball program including the LFL and take cowbells away. I will NEVER give him a pass for what he did to our baseball program in the early 2000's.

Maybe so...……….but we are still a SEC program, and we hung by a thread most of his tenure. He was loathed for pinching pennies. If he hadn't at the time...……..

maroonmania
01-01-2020, 03:51 PM

Interesting take given most of LT's time as AD was during the 90's which was the MSU football glory days of modern times until Mullen showed up and basketball was very good much of the 90's as well. LT was a CPA in my book. Scared to spend on anything to expand the brand and did no PR or marketing to raise athletic funds but yes, he kept us in the black.

Dawgfan77
01-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Cohn did not do his do diligence. Had he would have seen these stats. All against decent defensive teams in the big 10
191 UM
276 OSU
354 Kent state
312 Pitt
380 IU
283 OSU
304 Rutgers

Savant my ass

HoopsDawg
01-01-2020, 04:06 PM
Cohn did not do his do diligence. Had he would have seen these stats. All against decent defensive teams in the big 10
191 UM
276 OSU
354 Kent state
312 Pitt
380 IU
283 OSU
304 Rutgers

Savant my ass

Amazing what Joe has done for himself. Parlayed 4 years at Fordham with a massive competitive advantage and a poor showing in the playoffs into the Penn State OC job. There at Penn State, he parlayed 2 years of coaching 6 NFL skill players into the head coaching job at MSU and he's going to walk away with at least 12 million.

Why try and outsmart the room Cohen? Why not just hire a successful head coach like Satterfield or Norvell.

maroonmania
01-01-2020, 04:19 PM
Amazing what Joe has done for himself. Parlayed 4 years at Fordham with a massive competitive advantage and a poor showing in the playoffs into the Penn State OC job. There at Penn State, he parlayed 2 years of coaching 6 NFL skill players into the head coaching job at MSU and he's going to walk away with at least 12 million.

Why try and outsmart the room Cohen? Why not just hire a successful head coach like Satterfield or Norvell.

Because he might not be able to have 'intellectual' conversations with a coach like that during the offseason.

Todd4State
01-01-2020, 05:01 PM

Because he might not be able to have 'intellectual' conversations with a coach like that during the offseason.

Yeah- that's the thing that impressed Cohen. Moorhead was doing something different and bought in to it.

I hate to say it but I think we tried to copy what Ole Miss did with Freeze. Great recruiter who ran a "different" system that was pass first. The reality is Freeze isn't that great of a coach and won mostly because he cheated his ass off.

Todd4State
01-01-2020, 05:02 PM
Maybe so...……….but we are still a SEC program, and we hung by a thread most of his tenure. He was loathed for pinching pennies. If he hadn't at the time...……..

Great. We're still in the SEC. Without a National Title in baseball. Thanks LT! You're the best.

Todd4State
01-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Interesting take given most of LT's time as AD was during the 90's which was the MSU football glory days of modern times until Mullen showed up and basketball was very good much of the 90's as well. LT was a CPA in my book. Scared to spend on anything to expand the brand and did no PR or marketing to raise athletic funds but yes, he kept us in the black.

LT wouldn't have been able to keep us in the black without the success Jackie had. Whom he didn't want to hire. Baseball was solid back then too. And we were much better than Ole Miss at baseball at that time. We didn't really start to go down until we brought Polk back.

IMissJack
01-01-2020, 06:00 PM
Baylor and Louisville bat 1.000 on coaching hires but we are at best 50%?

That's what I want to know.

What is so flawed about our interview process and intuition about who is a good coach and who is not?

The amount of bad, mis handled hirings we are having across all sports is very concerning.

Feels like we're just rolling a dice when other schools actually know what their looking for.

Very frustrating

Because after the best decade of football we ever had, we went with a cheap coaching staff to run a program that competes in the most difficult to compete in division, in the most difficult conference to compete in. If any school needs to get the best it can afford to compete, it is us. We are probably closer in distance to more other SEC schools than any others. We have to compete with another SEC school less than 100 miles away, in the same state with less population than anyone else. We are less than 100 miles from Nick Saban. Yet, our leadership felt that we would take the next step up by hiring a coordinator with no SEC experience, the cheapest assistant budget in the conference, and a very inexperienced AD. What could go wrong?

HoopsDawg
01-01-2020, 06:39 PM
Because after the best decade of football we ever had, we went with a cheap coaching staff to run a program that competes in the most difficult to compete in division, in the most difficult conference to compete in. If any school needs to get the best it can afford to compete, it is us. We are probably closer in distance to more other SEC schools than any others. We have to compete with another SEC school less than 100 miles away, in the same state with less population than anyone else. We are less than 100 miles from Nick Saban. Yet, our leadership felt that we would take the next step up by hiring a coordinator with no SEC experience, the cheapest assistant budget in the conference, and a very inexperienced AD. What could go wrong?

Nice. Right on the money.

Leeshouldveflanked
01-01-2020, 06:44 PM
LT held us back and threw MSU under the bus while chasing a SEC job...

Bdawg
01-01-2020, 08:04 PM

Have some rep.